Ask a PhD (neurobiology) student anything

Ask a PhD (neurobiology) student anything.

What's the topological Chern number for a 2D sample of graphene in the absence of an external magnetic field?

>What's the topological Chern number for a 2D sample of graphene in the absence of an external magnetic field

+/- 2

Does free will exist?

No

>not a neuroscience PhD student

Plz gib digital immortality

Doesn't really hold much weight without the name of the institution.

is it possible to feel a benzo-like calmness without taking any drugs?

Does alcohol kills brain cells ? Does it makes you stupid? If yes , Is reversible ?I'have been drinking hard for 3 years , i'm 19 . Sorry for my bad english .

ever heard of humberto maturana?

Cool we're on the same page, what do you make of the feeling as if we are "conscious authors" though? If it's an illusion, which it is, why is it present? Why do we feel like we choose our next thought?

Yeah and what kind of stuff you're working on. And what year you're in.

btw you should turn down the gain on the confocal

Realize this is easily photoshoppable but yeah...

He can't answer why, only how. And the how isn't entirely clear yet.

That's what the process that yields your next thought feels like.

2-photon not confocal, that was in vivo

propagation of mHtt in Huntington's disease and its implications for other neurodegenerative disorders of the CNS

yes

Rhodamine?

what do you think about his view on life and relationships, language, etc?

Evan's blue (1%)

Great, this should be enough infos to dox the frog. C'est dommage. Au revoir.

how were taking the classes? did you just spend hours in the library memorizing the material? legit question cause i want to be an astrophysicist but I don't think id make it

Couldn't really care less

why am i always sad?

meh, if people want to be mean, they can

How can cousciousnes be physical? And if you believe its metaphyiscal, does that mean we can never have clones morally? I want a clone kate upton to fuck every day, but am moral fag and would give that up if the technology is so immoral.

Neuroradiologist checking in. I know almost zero about neurobiology though. Raking in the cash all the same.

XD

The classes are kind of a waste of time. Most of my program is research based, with little emphasis on class time. and of course all of the classwork, while interesting, doesn't really apply to my project or interest and just feels like somethign I have to do.

Incorrect. In the presence of time-reversal symmetry Chern numbers are guaranteed to vanish.

I've had suicidial thoughts but I know I will never take my life, but at the same time I feel incredibly depressed but can still have happiness. I exhibit basiclaly all the physical and mental symptoms, yet I can still seem even feel happy.

This is the most hilariously retarded thing I have read today.

I try :)

meh, I took a shot. you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Did you do neurology residency then radiology fellowship or other way around? I really like neurology but I'm not good with math or physics at all so idk if I can do that

Are niggers lower than white people?

In what sense?

The ones I know seem to be taller

Radiology, then two year neuroradiology fellowship. Yo ucant go from neurology to neurorad. Have to do general diagnostic rad first.

neurobiologicaly speaking, does doing butt stuff make you gay?

Are the brains of childhood abuse victims really 'stuck' as if they're reliving the moment.. all the time?

and if so, how can one become unstuck?

It's not gay until you kiss and make eye contact

why does lots of sleep make you tired, lazy and stupid as fuck during the day?

All the senses

Sight, sound, touch, taste and smell

can't, you're fucked

No, I mean like getting fucked in the ass by a woman with a strap on.

Neurologically speaking, am I retarded?

I read an interesting paper that I'm too lazy to look up now once. It was about how if you stay up all night before, you only need like 1 or 2 hours more to make up for the sleep you lost. kind of interesting.

I know what you meant

It seems likely

oh well, internal med is cool too i guess

So if I kiss her and make eye contact, I'm gay? Even thought I'm her husband?

Did you just assume her gender?

>Does free will exist?
>>No
youre "so intellectual" congrats.

now, what are the most likely possible/best ways to increase or maintain/improve neuro-plasticity

How can one be "lower" in sight? How do we measure how much sight someone has?

Used to work at a facility that specialized in Huntington's was pretty fun sad a ton of young people unable to control their bodies just waiting to die

No assumption. She's told me that she identifies as female.

What's your funding package like? And why are you willing to work like a slave for something that doesn't massively increase your earning potential?

Are you in med school? What year if so? Everything is cool as long as you enjoy what you do and dont have chip on shoulder about rads making more money for less work.

You don't know shit, why would I ask you anything?

It's really hard man. We take blood samples and there tend to be 3 groups of people: 1. the 50 year olds in wheel chairs who can't even dress themselves in the morning or remember anything, 2. the 20-30 year olds who are HD+ and see these people and think "fuck, that's going to be me in a few years", and in my opinion, the hardest 3. the 20-30 year olds who are too afraid to get tested and don't know if that's going to be them or not.

Not all about the money, the dream of a therapy or a disease with no treatment is what keeps me doing it.

I'm starting in the fall (to a DO school tho probably). Still have another MD interview pretty soon. Either way im pretty sure neurology isn't that compettive and EM is good for DOs right now if I wanted

No doubt it's tough...Seeing people having to sign their own DNR in your 20s puts things in perspective for the rest of us

I'LL HUNTINGTONS YOU MOTHERFUCKER

there's deep brain stimulation for some of the motor symptoms, but yeah there's like no way to cure it

Fascinating, I'm almost done my Master's in comp sci and I debated doing a PhD, but I can't justify the years of poverty wages and post docs when I could get paid way more for doing way less in industry. What ever floats your boat tho

DBS is mostly effective in Parkinson's. HD hasn't shown reliable results. ASOs are our best bet right now.

good luck. Avoid DO if can bruh, but if that's all that's available go for it.

Are you in a relationship? If so do you find managing your relationship and research is difficult? Specifically in relation to the time commitment

I don't mind the "poverty," sure it's not enough to car (I live in a decently big city, don't need one or mind taking the bus), or to travel (not sure I want to these days anyway). What I do get paid is enough for an apartment without roommates, some weed before I go to sleep, and a beer or 12 with friends every weekend.

The capricious human female is a burden to scientific methodology and research. The human female must be terminated.

I'm not, but lots of the other students in my lab are. I have a first date with a girl (lawyer) tomorrow.

My research supervisor is a woman and I have a ton of respect for her and her ability. I disagree with you.

Emotions are weakness. The weak must be destroyed. Science shall not be impeded. Terminate, terminate.

I know it sucks. I got unlucky i think, but it's w/e

That is hands down one of the most autistic things I have ever read

Luck is nothing but unscientific woowoo voodoo religion. There is no reliable or credible evidence to support the existence of luck.

Is being transgender natural?

You have provided no proof for your claims, probably because they are bunk.

I mean, isn't everything a human does "natural" by the sense of the word?

I like blaming it on luck a lot more than admitting the mistakes i made :)

what development do you predict will come of current brain-computer interfaces?

Has anyone had success probing and deciphering impulses on the brain?

Are there some people who are born a certain way that makes them feel like they are the wrong gender?

Look who's talking.

Why are you such a nigger?

What you are trying to ask is "What is the etiology of transsexualism?"

I think it's because of my big penis

I guess yeah

Anhedonia - get meds or change lifestyle not op

Definitely not my area of expertise but the idea of being able to download your thoughts and memories excites me. Being agnostic is not easy, and death scares me.

Why is a women's mind set on a tall man?But then you get women with short men why is that?

what do you eat on a day-to-day basis? do you cook your meals?

They associate a man's height with leadership. It's evolutionary. If you're short, find other ways to make up for it and impress someone. Spend every minute of your life trying to make that one person who's worth it feel special. You only get so many years. Might as well spend it falling in love and enjoying every emotion associated with it.

My lab is located in a hospital that luckily has decent cafeteria food discounted for employees. I eat most of my meals there, but breakfasts at weekend dinners at home. Breakfasts usually involve a bowl of cereal and some fruit. 3 of the people I work with just moved here from Italy to continue their studies, and they're teaching me how to be a better cook. Admittedly, I'm not the best, but I try to make things taste good. I bbq a mean steak though.

Sorry, but we're many, many years away from something like this. We don't even know exactly how neurons hook up so that we can walk or breath, which are controlled by relatively few neurons, let alone the entire cerebral cortex. look up central pattern generators. although there are probably some functional imaging studies that might show entire areas of the brain when someone thinks about something in particular

I'm doing neurology with aspirations to major in it with a biomedical/public Heath degree.

I have a female neuroscientist teaching me to. Why even bother replying to that person.

Can you gimme some helpful advice bro? I would appreciate a lot