Heatmap of every roman-latin inscription. what the fuck is with iraq?

heatmap of every roman-latin inscription. what the fuck is with iraq?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_DzOH98Q6TQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Supply lines most likely.
It's feasible to take coastal regions of the mediterranean and the fertile crescent but go too far inland and supply lines have to be drawn over sea which puts strain on how far inland you can expand.
You can't really fight persia on stretched supply lines and the resources and reinforcements supplied by newly started or conquered provinces.

now all i need is muh ancient roman source. I crave it.

Baghdad.

Likely was there as a result of trade.

Supply lines didn't exist back then, they are a pretty modern concept, but you're basically right

More importantly can someone explain to me what the fuck was with the holy roman empire and why it's borders look more alike an avant-garde painting than a nation?
youtube.com/watch?v=_DzOH98Q6TQ
I simply can not make any sense of it.

Most of Iraq was never really part of the Roman Empire. It was part of the Parthian Empire and the Sassanid Empire at the height of Roman power. Greco-Macedonian inscriptions might be easier to find in Iraq.

It wasn't really a proper nation, it was basically a Germans only version of the eu if I'm allowed to oversimplify

It was effectively a bunch of city states/duchy/whatever you want to call them who paid allegiance to an "emperor" who may or may not have more or less power depending on who it was. This lack of internal unity in the 'empire' helped lead to the protestant reformation.

I'd be more curious about the inscription up in Scandanavia.

Also that's not a heat map.

possibly early christian missionaries? they still spoke Latin

What are some of these weird titles though?
>Landgraviate
>Margraviate/March(??)
>Prince-Bishopric
>Principality (does it have anything to do with princes?)
It's madness.

Get outta here with that fucking Italian map, you god damn calzone.

All those pretty much tell you who is in charge of the area or the government, marches are on the borders

Prince-Bishoric is literally Prince-Bishop i think, implying both royaly and piety obviously.

I don't know German but I'd bet all the others are all more or less terms areas of land owned by nobles who couldnt call themselves kings but required a title still. They would probably owe allegiance to the 'Holy Roman Emperor' on some level but likely also retained a fair degree of autonomy

Prince bishop I think also suggests a direct tie to the roman church too I should add

But there are also kingdoms in there, is that the emperor or are they different kings?

The emperor could be any one of them, they had elections

Best thread on here in awhile my friend

possible they were allowed to call themselves kings if they paid fealty to the emperor? The Holy Roman Empire was not a unified state in the same way that the Kingdom of France was for much of its history for example. "Germany" as a country didnt really exist until 1871

Rome only held Mesopotamia for a few years.

I always liked this map of travel times