Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gyaG4oUYtaA&t=6s
ubuntu.com/
joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How much do you get paid annually?

Salary is 106k. Also get ~15% bonus and ~17k in stock

How'd you get a job there

They went to my college's career fair. I talked to a recruiter, submitted my resume, and went through the interview process

when is IPAM not going to suck?

idk, not my job

What do you do for a living, where do you work, and can we ask you anything?

Why can't I name a folder "con"?

Software dev, pacific northwest, yea - wont answer personal stuff or stuff that i'll get fired for

tbh, I've never tried to do that - i use macOS at home for most things

Who do you design software for? Do you live near the ocean? Will certain questions' answers terminate your employment?

Do you make more than 100K a year?

Microsoft, no, yes

Do you prefer jam or jelly

yea, i make 106k salary + stock and bonus

What languages and/or frameworks do you use day to day?

jelly i guess fam

how brown is your skin?

peanut butter or jelly

Frontend I use TypeScript + React, backend is C# + ASP

is there any chance on a work visa for microsoft?, is it worth to get a job on microsoft on another country hoping to get a work visa?

I'm really white actually

peanut butter is more versatile

youtube.com/watch?v=gyaG4oUYtaA&t=6s

yea I work with a ton of people on work visas

thank you, i hope you die in a fire =)

Faggot

Where did you attend university? In my CS courses we haven't learned any of these but clearly they're important.

I just got out of uni with BS in comp sci.
Looking into web app development, or software development.
Anyways. Do you have any advice for me, while I apply for entry level jobs? I'm feeling inadequate, looking at all the qualifications.
Despite my slightly above average hard and soft, skills

cool

do you work for amazon?

A decent engineering school in the northeast. You don't learn those at college, you learn them in your free time. Focus on classes like algo and data structures

Why don't Sharepoint workflows have a ROUND function?
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Won't you actually get fired for this?

Why is windows not getting better since 7? Asking genuinely. Even simple things like why is there no swipe keyboard for win10 surfaces?

Are you Indian?

Start a side project with JS, make a GitHub and put a ton of stuff on it, start applying everywhere. Most qualifications they ask for are total BS.

When you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich do you spread the peanut butter first or the jelly first?

Same on so many levels

Why does Microsoft overcomplicate everything? And why does the UX for XBOX blow donkey dicks?

idk, I dont work on sharepoint

I don't like windows in general, but the search has gotten pretty bad in win10

no

idk probably not, im not on their network and havent posted anything identifying so i think im good

peanut butter both sides, jelly glob in the middle

bureaucracy, also i dont have an xbox

What would you say you do at microsoft?
What are you actually working on?

Thank's mate,
I hear Microsoft is cutthroat, do you agree?
To elaborate, my friends mom worked for microsoft as a SE and said she felt like they encouraged employees to act cut throat towards their other employees.

I work on a web app and mostly do frontend stuff. I dont want to go into too much detail though

Ever met Ballmer?

Why not work at Google with poole?

Do you like the Metro design? Why, why not?
Can you tell me anything about Win10Cloud?

noice

Hiring is rough and it's though to get in. Since I've been here everyone has been super nice and works as a team. I've never felt like anyone has been cut throat to me

I started after he left

Google wanted my transcript when i applied and I already had an offer from MSFT so i didnt follow up with the recruiter

Did they fire the guy who decided it was a good Idea to push win8s start/appscreen to Windows 2k12?

If no why not?

Also why cant you get webbased management interfaces (I.e. exchange ecp) to function normaly on Chrome?

Is this your first job? How long you been there?

con means console. it's for inputting data directly by typing into the console.

Metro is a cool concept, win8 executed it super poorly. I think it matured with win10 and newer versions of office though

I just learned about win10cloud today via twitter

Where do you live?

What's it like working for the new IBM?

That's a solid reply can't argue with that you went the easy route for an easy living.

idk if they fired the guy, i started after win10 was released.

A ton of the things made a while ago only work in IE because stuff like activeX, there's not a lot of return from rewriting things to work in chrome if they Just Work tm

First job out of college, internships before. been here a few months

seattle

its not. MSFT runs the largest SaaS (O365) and one the largest cloud providers. IBM made mainframes

Any bangable bitches there?

my friend works for google. from what he tells me id like seattle better anyway. Once your in the bug 4 though its pretty easy to move around

yea, not everyone is a software engineer

What the hell are you typing?

Do _you_ even know what you're typing?

Does anyone else?

thanks for the tip fam

What are some of the workplace perks?

>its not. MSFT runs the largest SaaS (O365) and one the largest cloud providers. IBM made mainframes.

Keep telling yourself that, buddy.

FYI: IBM did a whole lot more than simply sell mainframes in their time. You're exceedingly stupid for a whitecollar.

What are internships like? Do they give you tasks appropriate to your skills? Are they exhausting? DO they teach you new skills, or is another mark on your CV the only thing you walk out of there with?

Have you played the "Try Not to Cum" game below yet? Result?

How the fuck do i remove cortana?, and which cunt thought it was a good idea in the first place?

Free soda + tea + coffee
subsidized food
$150 on azure per month
free public transit in puget sound
free microsoft bus to work
everyone gets their own office
good dev set ups
good health benefits i guess

MSFT is a crazy diverse company

didnt intern at MSFT

no

ubuntu.com/

He doesn't know and wouldn't tell youif he did. This isn't so much "AMA" as "FMAW" (Feed My Attention-Whoring). I'm not even sure why the fuck he bothered making the thread at this point.

idk how i missed this, but yea I like the shark

I'm a struggling developer. Mostly web dev stuff so far, I love python and ColdFusion (shush).

Do you have any tips on how to get your name out there in the field? Can you give any tips or secrets of the industry? Like what to do and not do to better your chances of getting and keeping a good dev position?

Just any advice would be great. I'm really interested in how everything works with the big companies. The structure of developers positions etc. (bosses, fellow employees, etc.)

Also congrats on getting in there. Nice job.

Internships in general. You said that you have interned somewhere, have you not?

What the fuck are you autistic?

Do _you_ even know that you're autistic?

Is everyone autistic?

(You)

ha ha ha, good skills, very good skills.

Why does microsoft steal data from us?

post proof lying fagget. I'm BIll Gates and OP is lying fagget.

Are you on Satya's layoff list?

calm down guy. im not an expert on windows. i mostly do frontend web dev

make a github, have a JS side project, follow and talk to people on twitter. it can kind of difficult if you're cold applying, but you can safely reapply every 6 months.

Best tip I can have is have a good resume with links to open source projects.

I'm like 7 levels below Satya. I have a manager, he has a manager, etc. We all work together, not really bossing around. It's chill

Because people who work at Microsoft do it so that they can tell everyone they work at a company they've heard of while simultaneously not having to be an actually productive member of their department. Well, okay, that's only true of people who stay at Microsoft over three years; there are idealistic new graduates every year who think Microsoft's the shit and run to work for them only to realize that Microsoft actually is the shit and run away to another equally well-paid job.

so how long did it take you to escape from test?

Ever been arrested or molested?
How many of your Seattle friends killed themselves?

not him, but r/cscareerquestions is my go-to for stuff like that. One simple sentence couldn't cover the answer to your question.

>inb4 plebbit
just fucking go there.

Metro is for faggots with the eyesight of an elderly cataract sufferer. But keep shooting for the stars, trying to topple Google.

Smoke weed?
Does Seattle always smell like weed?
MSFT drug test?

Oh yea, my bad. I interned at smaller companies, so they were pretty relaxed for the most part. The biggest thing you can get out of an internship is how the engineering process works. You can learn data structures and algo from books, but not really the engineering process

tbh they dont. its just telemetry so we know what errors people have.

cool

no, it's part of the reorg layoff from when he started

I never worked in test, started as a SWE. I joined after the merge

No, none

r/cscareerquestions is a solid place for that stuff

I like material better

no
yes
no

WTF with SQL Server Management Studio?

Don't you think it is time to rethink the UX/UI, 17 years have gone since 2000, you know...

Going on this a little more...
The internship totally depends on the company. Some are super relaxed and let you pick some of your own work, others give you a strict goal for the summer. You usually get a mentor to guide you, but basically YMMV

Thanks for the advice. My github is shit. I hate doing projects that don't make me money. Like just to build my references. You're right though. I need to get on that shit.

What do you mean following people on Twitter? Just to see if anyone's hiring? Or actually start talking and posting on other developers pages?

Thanks again for the advice. Very helpful. I recently turned down a job with Amazon because I hate java and I would've had to move across country. How did your interview go? Like a three panel driving session or easy going?

Have any openings there? Lol

Thoughts on linux and does it disrupt your co-workers mindset?

Thanks bro. Tits for you

I heard Satya doesn't use the Microsoft corporate jet. He just flies everywhere on his magic carpet. True?

Is this your first job out of college? How does it feel to be in a cushy job meant to retire in? Do you work

I use it a decent amount. I don't like it. The whole thing is a rewrite provides very little return for a ton of work. See joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

I learn a ton from following devs on twitter. Most JS people on twitter are super helpful and friendly. I recommend following the React page and just going from the recommendations there. Just follow and learn.

My interview had 3 stages: phone interview (30 min), college campus interview (30 min), on site (6 hours).

I love linux. I don't think anyone I work with is opposed to it, they just don't know it.

:+1:

Satya is a super awesome guy and is leading the company in the right direction. idk about the jet though

First job out of college
Feels weird. I put in a ton of effort but you can see some people are just riding it out.
I work about 50 hours a week between the office, home and commuting. Not because I have to, I'm just passionate about what I do.
I'm not learning much technically, and I'm by far the best frontend dev on my team. I'm learning how to work on a team and how to teach though.
Shouldn't be too hard to adjust. I like the hackathon scenario better anyway

I work on frontend web dev mostly (TypeScript + React and some Angular). Some backend too

thanks for the heads up!

u y no Amazon?

didnt even bother applying. i know a bunch of amazon guys though - one lives next door

How much is Microsoft paying the firm you actually work at to astroturf websites with significant web traffic, Pahjeet?

why not? You'd likely make more than what you do now, unless webdev is all you know.

Web development is all he knows. And most of that is very, very, very mediocre work.

I work at MSFT, as a software dev. If anyone was paying me to advertise MSFT ive been doing a pretty bad job

I like webdev and distributed systems. Nothing on my project works with distributed systems, so I don't do it.

If you are truly a M.S. employee... What used to be in bldg 25?

When does the next Age of Empires come out?

idk, i only started a few months ago. I pass 25 everyday getting off the connector though

idk