Neofolk Thread

The other one is shit up with political discussion, which seems completely inappropriate especially when discussing a genre as apolitical as Neofolk.

Rate, rec, reminisce and discuss!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JMW_2qqhNHM
discogs.com/Rome-Rome/release/2797579
youtube.com/watch?v=vvFD7urcHZE
youtube.com/watch?v=OJx9fugmkQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KGkltqmS8a4
youtube.com/watch?v=yd2t5P2Ri0U
youtube.com/watch?v=Oho_5Sf-edE
youtube.com/watch?v=0bLwnV_NuwU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

greatest di6 song of all time - youtube.com/watch?v=JMW_2qqhNHM

Posting my folder because it's full of lesser known stuff.

Also, with a heavy heart, I am selling my Rome demo on Discogs if anyone's interested: discogs.com/Rome-Rome/release/2797579

I prefer
youtube.com/watch?v=vvFD7urcHZE
youtube.com/watch?v=OJx9fugmkQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KGkltqmS8a4
youtube.com/watch?v=yd2t5P2Ri0U
youtube.com/watch?v=Oho_5Sf-edE

In case you are baiting for political responses, Douglas himself has gone on record saying that Roseclouds of Holocaust tells the story of a magical moment he spent on Iceland, looking up from a hot spring into the surreal rose-coloured sky as a storm approached, which he felt emitted a kind of "holocaustic" atmosphere, referring to the original meaning of the word holocaust as burnt offerings. The song, as most Death In June songs, is not of an explicitly political nature but a deeply personal one presented in an uncomfortably ambiguous way so as to allow for multiple partly political interpretations in order to make the listener question their own biased assumptions as they dig deeper into the phenomenon Death In June, trying to get a clear answer just to learn that acceptance of ambiguity is the intention at the very core of the project.

Not Sangre de Muérdago?

Oh wow. Sweet possession. Are the versions on it exclusive to the demo or are they equal to the officially released?

Are you ready to give recs from your folder?
I'm looking for deeply spiritual neofolk (either in the style of Death In June, outlining a personal spiritual journey and the magical occurences in it, or like Fire+Ice, the music of an individual deeply involved in the spiritual and occult world, though an individual as involved as Ian Read would probably be hard to find except for Michael Moynihan and Nikolas Schreck).

Nah, I have them in my freak folk / free folk / psychedelic folk folder.

It's basically the Berlin release. I think it wasn't even mastered when it got rereleased as Berlin. But the thing most interesting to the demo is that I possess one with an application letter sent to the Steinklang label (Sturmpercht etc.).

Give bands like Changes, Aeldaborn, Sagentoeter and The Green Man a listen.

Phew, okay. No hunting down elusive rips. Why are you letting it go?
I've always seen Changes as more of a political band, rather explicit even. What is their connection to the occult? Will give the others a listen, never heard of Aeldaborn and Sagentoeter.

I'm basically selling my entire collection because I don't feel the need to have bunch of plastic, vinyl and magnet tape that is worth a four digit figure just to have it lying around. I need my space, money and life for other things. It's not easy to let go but it feels necessary to me.

For me Changes has always evoked a special feeling of deep devotion to something. But I can understand that they're going into many directions.
There is also a lot of German neofolk with deep spiritual connections but a lot of that gets lost if you can't understand the lyrics.

Good reason. The money will be of more use to you. Especially CDs seem kind of pointless to keep.
I am German, what bands are you talking about?

Oh, alright. Listen to Falkenstein (but beware - he#s so deep into the mythology of his home area he's become an AfD supporter), Sturmpercht of course (listen to Bergentrückt), and Art Abscons a million times.

Yeah, I love Falkenstein. Excellent music and lyrics. Gladly he's not political in his music. Haven't heard of Art Abscons, will check out.

Art Abscons is the best recent thing to happen to neofolk.

Hey.

Very much looking forward to listening to them. Downloads in progress. Any other secret tips?
What do you think the future for neofolk concerts in Germany will look like now that the last Runes+Men has passed?

Inneres Gebirge and MARS were cool things I enjoyed.

I dunno. I thought there was basically the same thing now under a different name in the same location?

I love death in June but I can't get into David Tibet's voice at all. Unless it's a background type thing like on Runes & Men. He just sounds like pic related to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=0bLwnV_NuwU

I love LOTR too.

Tibet is love, Tibet is life.

>he doesn't like fairies
>he doesn't like gay men
What are you even doing here?

whats the diff between dark folk and neo folk? Is there one?

Not really. Although personally I'd think dark folk is less connected to spirituality and war stuff than neofolk or apocalyptic folk.

Oh? What name? I only know of FIre+Sun which is far smaller than Runes+Men. I couldn't quite appreciate the last Runes+Men festival as I was sick and in a bad financial situation at the time, plus I went there alone, and have since then hoped that the festival would resurrect in one way or another.
Listening to the Art Abscons split with Luftwaffe and Gnomonclast now. I like it.

Dark folk is mostl instrumental, often features standard drumkits, is rather sophisticated musically, draws on nordic musical traditions and is mostly made by scandinavian black metal musicians, although stuff like Imbaru could probably also be categorized as dark folk although hailing from Chile. Neofolk developed in London in the 1980s from industrial and punk counter cultures, often involves more eccentric drumming ranging from slaybells and tribal/military drums to drum machines, is often much simpler musically and more lyrically focused. Both draw on regional folk music traditions and the scenes converge in their embrace of heathenism and appreciation of nature, neofolk is just much closer to the standard pop music format while also being more thematic. Often, the distinction is more of a gradual thing. This is the best I can explain it.
Anyone want to weigh in on this?

I'm not sure. Maybe I just thought there was a new festival. I was there when it was on December 31 and Triarii, Dernière Volonté and Art Abscons were there - which was quite some time ago.

If Changes is neofolk can Charles Manson also be neofolk?

Tibet belongs to China

I dunno but he's definitely an influence.

It's kinda strange to see people like Andrew WK and, to a lesser extent, Björk, collaborating with C93

I only found out Andrew WK was collaborating with C93 when they stepped onto stage. Boy, that was weird.

One last bump before bed. This was a good thread.

China deserves to be nuked, Tibet is based