4: |||| instead of |V

4: |||| instead of |V

today i saw a pic with a watch like pic related, i lol'd and was like `kek, fucking cheap chinese fakes again...`

but some retard didn't saw the problem with this, and said this is normal.
so i checked amazon, and WTF?

suddenly it's on every fucking watch with roman numbers. and not even the cheap ones, you can get a $5000 watch with the 4 looking like '||||' instead of '|V'

when did they change this?
I'm 100% sure 4 was always '|V'

whats going on? fucking 'mandela effect' again or something?
anyone else noticed this?

first bump

yeah i noticed it too, weird

Mandela effect?

Holy shit you're right, what the fuck

Look there is this thing called google. Search for mandela effect in it

I hope ur trolling. Otherwise kys.

why? he's right...

KEK Plebs,

in the ancient days of rome the way to write four was IIII before it was put to IV. Both ways are correct.

They claim it's for symmetry reasons, literally look it up.

>anyone else noticed this?
Yes. IDGAF google it. I don't wear watches.

i saw it literally the first time today like ||||

how do you know what time is?

You should also kys

Look at the sun

yeah, you too...

Not that other guy but pretty sure everyone has a smartphone with a clock lockscreen these days. I have a very good internal sense of time so that is all I ever need.

but what if it's night?

R A D I A L S Y M M E T R Y

the autism is strong with this one

then you should sleep, and don't need a watch

I'm wearing a Rotary skeleton watch, automatic so self winding. Not cheap.

It has IIII also.

Looks OK tbh, but with IX X XI
I don't see why it doesn't just have IV.

would look even better with ||||||||| instead of |X

It's just the way watches and clocks are.
There's no real reason for it that I've heard and I worked with watch makers for several years.

Want to know something else fucked up you never noticed?
Why are watches and clocks always pictured with their time set to around 10:10 ?

Grandson of master clock maker. It's traditional, because it reduces the number of sources required for casting the numbers for the face. I think it was 4 sources, you need 7 if you use IV for 4.

You there! You seem the be the only guy here who understands why its IIII and not IV. Good man.

holy shit guys, i thought this was a troll thread, it's not... all my amazon searches for roman numeral watches comes up with IIII being four, when i know it was IV....

IV is 4,but I also often saw IIII.

Pic related, clock in living room in Germany.

So that the hands resemble a smile, associating the watch with good feelings. Its kinda stuck around long enough that even digital clocks are shown at that time aswell though

Sprues not sources damn autocorrect.

It's called a watchmaker's four.

because it looks more positive/ happy

Lol'd irl

Just imagining watches with only IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
All the way around it.

Its called a watchermaker's 4 because when you look at the watch from different angles, it confuses some to be 6

kek

WHAT THE FUCK.

i hail from the mighty berenstein timeline. i am almost 40 years old. i have NEVER once in my life seen 4 written as IIII. Never, not ever, not once. Mandela effect in action, lads.

so i just learned what a watchmakers four is... now i know it is not the Mandela effect.

kinda like this?

This is apparently because "IV" is an abbreviation for "Jupiter" in Roman times. So they decided to use "IIII" so that their public clocks didn't have "1 2 3 GOD 5..." written on them.

I think in this case it's the Retard Effect

I heard a story where a emperor killed a watch maker beacause of the IIII mistake, since some watchmakers use that instead of IV as a protest.
>not englando speaker

> 2017
> Not using a digital watch or smart watch

KYS. What even are these abominations and how do people read them?

fucking mandela affect at it again

I'm so done

Yes... and ?
IIII is as valid as IV and has always been...
the rule of thumb is to write a number using fewest possible characters unless it may lead to confusion, which is the case on watches.

autismo aka retard effect

back to /x/ !

Mandela effect?

yeah

Holly fuck never noticed that , you're correct .

Going to fucking annoy me from now on this !

IIII is a lot less ambiguous at various orientations than VI.

Not Mandela effect you idiots there is an actual explanation just go and google it.

your mobile phone?

and if the battery is dead?

No, watch makers didn't make a mistake and include the wrong Roman Numeral on the dial. "IIII" has been used instead of "IV" on dials for several hundred years actually.

in your timeline maybe...

Since the IV would be nearly upside down, the IIII is easier to read.

IɅ is upside down, and you can still read it as 6...

last bump

It makes it so the watchface is split into three sections that look nice.

I II III IIII
V VI VII VIII
IX X XI XII

best argument i heard so far.
I'm ok with this