Father Pleb Misty

C-R-I-N-G-E!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/father-john-misty-hemma-hos-strage/id1147279887?i=1000382995145&mt=2
youtube.com/watch?v=_NSuIYwBxu4
youtube.com/watch?v=wICsfTDDPYA
youtube.com/watch?v=gNwDxl4diyI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're welcome to try again

No bait this is actually fairly cringey. It's like this guy read a post-modern book for the first time and then regurgitated the ideas in mostly waaaay to on the nose commentary. Very little in terms of art, just ranting over some pretty songs

>Very little in terms of art
How so? How do you gauge what is or is not art?

might give it a listen now

what am I in for?

the songs ain't even pretty. they sound like elton john b-sides.

ballads of a dying man

>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10
>9/10
9/10

where? on plebfork? fagtano? i don't bother myself with these.

Well mostly that it has no real point that I can tell other than critiquing everyone and everything (including himself). Which is fine. But what's the point? If that's the whole point then that is very boring to me and unproductive.

Art usually has a message beyond its critiques of humanity and society or whatever.

It mostly bothers me cuz FJM has cited infinite jest and David foster Wallace as big inspirations but he doesn't seem to pull away his ideas that satire, irony, and cyncisism without purpose leads to the further degradation of our humanity

>Well mostly that it has no real point
Why does art have to have a point?
>other than critiquing everyone and everything (including himself)
Oh so there is a point. Well make up your mind
>Art usually has a message beyond its critiques of humanity and society or whatever.
[citation needed]
>without purpose
Not in the definition of art. Try again.

>It's like this guy read a post-modern book for the first time and then regurgitated the ideas in mostly waaaay to on the nose commentary

not necessarily post-modern, he sounds like a normie that's been exposed to any sort of critique to the modern life for the first time.

So you are saying he posts on Sup Forums?

Reminds me a lot of the Sun Kil Moon album earlier this year but not as good.

This is spot on.

It's another "I'm incapable of responding to posts without quoting individual sentences because I'm an intellectual cripple" episode.

Not an argument

Try again.

>Not an argument
and you're a Sup Forums user classic

>citation for the purpose of art

God dawg stay pleb. Of course it doesn't have to have a point, art can be whatever you want. Doesn't mean I have to like it though and doesn't mean I can't critique it as being pointless.

And I'm saying critiquing everything isn't interesting, new, or useful. As if he's opening all our eyes or something. But this shit is old news and he brings nothing new to the table so what makes it good?

fuck off, retard.

>art can be whatever you want
Hence, it is art.
>Doesn't mean I have to like it though
Nice backpedaling
>And I'm saying critiquing everything isn't interesting, new, or useful
Why are you critiquing Father John Misty?
>when plebs discuss music

i only discuss musak kino actually

FJM constantly makes fun of the alt-right and Sup Forums. Looks like OP snowflake can't take criticism

It's another "I'm incapable of responding to posts without quoting individual sentences because I'm an intellectual cripple" episode.

actually he doesn't. he sympathies with them if you actually listen to any of his interviews
itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/father-john-misty-hemma-hos-strage/id1147279887?i=1000382995145&mt=2

he says they're reactionaries from asshole liberals with little too much time on their hand making fun of the lower classes.

It's another "I'm incapable of intellectually discussing music so I'll just call something I don't like 'not art'" episode.

>he doesn't seem to pull away his ideas that satire, irony, and cyncisism without purpose leads to the further degradation of our humanity
idk about that, it seems the start of most songs are rife with the FJM whit and irony and then towards the end of them he comes to this conclusion that what he's been saying isn't true to what he believes in
>i hate to say it, but eachother's all we got
>this must of been a wonderful place

not him dumbass :)

Quote me where I said you were

Sup Forums makes fun of itself and the autism containment board that is Sup Forums a lot.

this guy, on the contrary, takes modern pop culture, which is supposed to be vapid, FUCKING SERIOUSLY for some reason.

how to quote on Sup Forums dumbass?

Show me where I said you were that guy.

You won't be able to

guy?
thats a girl dumbass

>takes modern pop culture seriously
Tell me one line where he does this.

I like it a lot. Cut 15 mins and it is is 9/10.

Also the production is ace.

bedding taylor swiftz

Which song is that from again? I definitely admit there's a few songs I thought were good. I really liked Leaving LA and some of the stuff towards the end. But as an 80 minute project it falls flat to me

I really don't think you like this album either since you've offered 0 reasons why you like it or think it's good so this is your last (You)

That's talking about our obsession with technology to provide a substitute for lived-in experience. Definitely not about pop culture.

This was a television special featuring the soft rock duo The Carpenters that aired on ABC in May 1978. The premise of the special was that aliens came to earth to ask The Carpenters to help their extraterrestrial race make music.

Sample line: Mankind is strange, what a lark/ just floating on a marble in the dark/ The Carpenters… Space Encounter/ Music binds us, we can’t discount her

pure comedy

>I really don't think you like this album either
Not relevant

You made the claim it was less art, because you don't like it. That's not how it works

cringe != criticism

Los Feliz Murder House
This is a house in Los Angeles where, in December 1959, the father of the house reportedly murdered his wife in her sleep with a ball-peen hammer and then committed suicide using a cocktail of prescription medicine. The house was never occupied after the murders and rumor has is that the family’s Christmas tree and unwrapped gifts still remain untouched.

Sample line: Our love is patient, our love is kind/ Our love is frozen, stuck in time/ Christmas Eve, quiet as a mouse/ Meet me at the Los Feliz Murder House

Pathetic Fallacy

Coined by British cultural critic John Ruskin, this is a literary term that refers to the practice of the often overly sentimental attribution of human emotion to inanimate objects.

Sample line: Watch the clouds gather on TV/ They look sad but that’s pathetic fallacy

Holy shit he's talking about pop culture throughout this album, my bad.

Married at First Sight

reality show.

Sample line: Download apps and then swipe right/ Next thing you know, we’re Married at First Sight

>Which song is that from again?
last lines on Pure Comedy and Total Entertainment Forever.

Autism

>correcting wrong statements is autism

not the guy but you're a faggot for thinking copying a few lines from Genius is autism

you're all autistic for using 'autism' unironically

this whole thread is post-ironic autism, and so is this album

No, not really but writing numerous obnoxiously long posts that have nothing to do with anything is.

>copy and pasting is obnoxious
are you okay bud?

It's like the first album, but with blander instrumentation

this

kozelek can actually present his ideas in a charismatic and/or fun way. makes me feel like im listening to a human being with opinons. tillman's lyrics sound like a bunch of 15yr olds got together and wrote a bunch of vague bullshit after watching threee minute žižek interview

yeah well kozelek is hated by all the hipsters now because he made fun of them post-benji

lol

It's pretty good. The instrumentation isn't anything to write home about, but the lyrics have more substance than anything out there right now.

i dont think this one proves your point but holy shit is that line bad

the vocal performances on this thing are god like and the production and instrumentation are better than anything I've heard in a while. Yes there are some cringey lines. Still a great album

>banging taylor swift every night on the ocolus rift
Op's right, just 6 mins in and the cringecity almost killed me

>elton john b-sides with le self-aware cringey lyrics are GOD LIKE

this forum is cancer

why are musician obsessed with fucking taylor swift
first kanye, albeit that was somewhat fun, now this creepy-rapey line

kozelek actually has a history of making great music in the past (red house painters, early sun kil moon records)

FJM has not

fleet foxes?

lol

why do people care at all for these overpaid attention seeking strippers?
>swift
>gaga
>beyonce
>katy perry
>etc

please show me a release with a better vocal performance than the title track this year, I would love to hear it.

wow, this post must be fuckin pure comedy, because it's the most stupid thing i've read this year

you don't hear much music, do you

what the fuck are you on about? Did we even listen to the same album? His vocals are defiantly the weakest part of his music

no im just an autistic le pleb normie. nowhere near the vast music knowledge or eclectic taste of you. please mr. music man show me who actually has the good vocals

I'll tell you one thing and one thing only, drake jorja interlude

>please show me a release with a better vocal performance than the title track this year,
youtube.com/watch?v=_NSuIYwBxu4

Have you even listened to the new planning for burial record? Oh, it wasn't publicized on p4k so you probably haven't, fuckin nerd

yeah, that is better. People acting like his vocals are weak are silly though. No shit he's obviously not a fucking opera singer but I thought the raw emotion and power in some of these tracks were very enjoyable

nobody is talking about his fucking vocals idiot. its the lyrics and music

Antwuan gave it a 9

maybe they should be then, dickhead. I brought them up and got shit on. I think they're great.

probably you got shit on because they fuckin suck LOL, and you are just imaging things

>but I thought the raw emotion and power in some of these tracks were very enjoyable
ugh this is why fucking the voice and american idol had careers. great singing has nothing to do with raw emotion

when you're injured do you start singing in perfect pitch? no you fucking don't. you're all fucked up and its a mess

if you want raw emotion and power listen to phil's album about his dead wife.

also here's an example of raw emotion and power in vocals
youtube.com/watch?v=wICsfTDDPYA

Thats fucking terrible, you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to such juvenile nonsense.

guess you cant handle raw emotion and power :)

He drummed on one album. Wow great work john keep it up

>Frusciante's early solo work
>juvenile nonsense
Oh boy, I bet you think Trout Mask replica is "just noise" and "chaotic nonsense" too

No, TMR is a great, unique, and artistically flavored album. The difference is one is good and one is not

>The difference is one is good and one is not
How do you know the difference?

I do, i am a certified patrician

Chart out a few songs to prove this

>implying this is art devoid of any point or merit

It has people talking about these issues a lot, not just here on Sup Forums with endless boring contrarian bullshit. You may not get any point out of this, but you're part of it I'd say. He wants these issues plaguing society out there and discussed; he didn't offer any cure-alls, just his (not necessarily new or original, but still valid) diagnosis and some good tunes. Not that hard to figure out. You don't like the tunes? Fine, but the themes, meaning, and point of this album are clear to see and I'd say he's gotten them across well.

how many of the exact same threads bitching about this album do we need? i'm starting to think these are started by sub pop shills or tillman himself?

then you're delusional

then this board truly sucks if people get this upset by a musician and need to spend 100s of posts arguing whether or not he's "ironic"

That's the irony of it all.

3:25

youtube.com/watch?v=gNwDxl4diyI

wüt

The album was largely uninteresting and lacked any vital engagement for me. The sound, the vocal range, the melodies, even the lyrics didn't latch on at all. There was nothing of substance or merit in my eyes.
I'd like to know what people see in this album, trying to engage with it does nothing for me.

its just a pop album that talks about shit nobody talks about outside of academia.

Father John Misty is the ultimate pleb detector. I've literally never encountered anyone who liked him that wasn't a pleb.

Jesus Christ