Neofolk Thread

Apölitical Edition:

Rec, rate, reminisce of other lives and greater times but don't you dare bringing politics into this! This is an apolitical music scene!

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Rome-Rome/release/2797579
youtube.com/watch?v=--7bemJNeG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posting the other user's neofolk folder to remind everyone that Current 93 is not the only band worth listening to.

He is currently parting with some interesting pieces from his record collection, including this Rome demo including an application letter sent to the Steinklang label:
discogs.com/Rome-Rome/release/2797579
Pretty cool.

If he's here at some point: Really digging the recs, currently listening to Sturmpercht's Bergentrückt, and Art Abscons really is a wonderful project.

>tfw haven't interacted with anyone for so long that I have no will to talk about one of my favorite music genres

Anyway, here's the entry level chart.

>free tibet

Tibet would be a shit-hole without China fucking cunt

Fuck this neo-fascist scum.

No politics! Get ooooouuuuuut! Neofolk is mostly apolitical and Death In June especially!

I wonder if it's serious, seems a bit more likely a reference to David Tibet who he's collaborated with, with the politically charged imagery being added as an afterthought because he's edgy as fuck.

Yeah, I feel kind of the same. What are you listening to these days? I'm back to listening to Death In June as reading Evola's Introduction to Magic and Nikolas Schreck's Demons of the Flesh have opened up a new perspective of understanding of Douglas' lyrics for me, a very spiritual and magical perspective.

It was a free EP of remixes of songs DI6 recorded with David Tibet, so Free Tibet can be understood as a joke. Might also be serious though, who knows.

I mostly listen to C93 nowadays. Soft Black Stars never clicked with me for some reason. Trying to fix it.
Also, just wanted to mention how much I love the England's Industrial/Post-industrial music scene. No matter where you look, you constantly see familiar names whenever you pick up an album. I have an everlasting gratitude towards Rose McDowall (and other people in the scene) for her contributions despite her not being very talented kindly speaking.
John Balance, Rose and Drew McDowall, Michael Cashmore, Tony Wakeford, Steven Stapleton, Marc Almond and many many many many others who not only write their own music but also provide their helping hand on albums of Death in June, Current 93, Coil, etc.

Damn... the feels when I look at the pictures of the Earth Covers Earth era. Such a small but warm community they had.

And don't let me get started on all the interesting facts (or "lore" how I like to call it) of that scene. For instance, the album cover of C93's Earth Covers Earth (there're a few alternatives but you'll get what I mean if you search for several ones) is a direct reference to a famous 1968 album The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter by The Incredible String Band.

Here's the The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter album cover (there's an alternative to this one as well though).

Alternative to Earth Covers Earth.

>Free Tibet

kek

TIBET IS CHINESE

some gangster shit

Ahhhhh.

that's a very nice pic full of interesting people

hmm wonder what ethnicity this poster is

He was born in Malaysia though.

Australian?

I'm glad you like the recommendations, user!

Personally, I never really got into Current 93. Death In June on the other hand has consistently been my favourite band for years now. I wonder what the future holds for the genre. The same kind of networking you talk about doesn't seem to be given with bands like Rome and other contemporary greats except for occasional crossovers like OTWATM and Die Weisse Rose as the scene has become much more international and most projects are the very personal work of individual musicians. The covers you posted are great, it's so nice to see all these legends in one place.

To be honest, I don't really like how the scene is going more and more towards being just a darker version of folk (no pun intended) rather than a successor to industrial/neofolk. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Forseti and Darkwood; however, many contemporary European dark folk bands just make some folk and put a label "dark folk" on it without adding something sacral/weird/experimental into their works. And it happens more and more frequently. It's almost as if neofolk and dark folk are becoming different genres.

>This is an apolitical music scene!
lmao
youtube.com/watch?v=--7bemJNeG4

Yeah, this is very true. Rome is an exception I would say as he continues the spirit of apoliteic revolution very competently. Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio too with their overt left-hand path spiritualism although they are a bit heavy on the kink and overall pandering to the gothic scene. Personally, I see the dark folk scene as separate from neofolk, closer to black metal actually. The funniest thing is all the bands who never even heard of the neofolk scene incorrectly using the term for their ethnic indie hip-hop electro-folk. This is incredibly common here in Germany.

It is. Fuck off.

By the way, sorry , my post wasn't really related to yours. Just decided to spit out a reply for some reason.
Also, I've heard that C93 is supposed to release a triple album this year. However, I don't even expect it to be neofolk. It'll probably be something like his last release The Moons At Your Door which didn't appear interesting for me at all.
And Pearce promised to deliver a new Di6 album on his 60th birthday last year or something but he apparently didn't.

Anyway, what 2016 neofolk albums did you guys like? I really dig last Majdanek Waltz release - Die Blinden Schützen. Death in Rome did well too.

Then why do Tony Wakeford and Lloyd James always post left-wing Facebook updates?

Check mate!

Dead thread.