Country & Rap

What's wrong with the "I listen to everything except country and rap" meme line?

Country and rap music are the only two genres that are objectively shit. Country is just worse than rock, and rap is terrible. It's not very descriptive to say "everything except country and rap" but it's true. I don't hate the occasional reggae or folk song. I like classical and funk sometimes. I can even tolerate metal. But I never ever listen to country or rap, because they're bad. I don't want to give them a chance, because nothing about them appeals to me.

So? Why can't people say "everything except country and rap"?

>Country is just worse than rock
Listen to more actual country.

It's not that people can't say it, it's that people say it when all that they listen to is top 40 pop and try to pretend that they have diverse tastes.

>actual country
Like what?

if you can tolerate metal you're in no place to make judgements about rap or country

> Country and rap music are the only two genres that are objectively shit
> objectively shit
> objectively

dropped

Johnny Cash
Kris Kristofferson
Hank Williams
Neil Young (veers towards country rock)
Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings

Those are my faves

Does johnny cash count as country?

My bait senses are tingling

Rap used to be good before they took sampling away from them.

Willie Nelson, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt for starters

I blame Flocka and the 808 mafia for this

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

These are all folk or Western

Nice try

Most music ends up being some combination of chords/melody, percussion and voice. Differences between genres usually comes down to production techniques and instrument choice, which can vary greatly between individuals. If you truly enjoy music, you can see past the aesthetic and appreciate the form and not just arbitrarily rule out entire genres. There should be individuals you listen to across all spectrums of sound.

This is a very troublesome mindset. Should be avoided

Good rap is hard to find and good country is hard to enjoy unless you just like it

my meme is "I listen to everything but dubstep" because all dubstep is inherently shit. Country is the shit and rap is okay

>because all dubstep is inherently shit.
American dubstep is. The original UK dubstep from 2007 is completely different to what most people think.

Are you baiting? Or sincere?

No they're actually country. The type of country you're probably referring to is pop country, which is mostly shit

everytime I tell people I don't like dubstep, they always go like "but dude you haven't listened to the true and original style of dubstep called brapstep, originating in a small town in bumfuckistan". Then they proceed to make me listen to a song and I end up trying REALLY hard to like it but I just can't. It all ends up sounding the same to me. Digital fart noises. I hope you truly have something to change my mind though, I genuinely believe every genre of music has something to offer, but dubstep just hasn't offered anything to me.

It actually makes sense, because these genres are practically all about lyrics, so if you don't like listening to music for the lyrics, you won't like rap or country

Theyre not practically all about lyrics. If they were it wouldnt be music, itd be poetry or spoken word.

Theres great emphasis placed on musical elements other than lyrics for both those genres.

Not really. it's called Outlaw Americana, Western, gospel and Southern Folk. I know you want there to be good Country artists, but here's, and you have to pretend they are a different genre to fit your argument.

Hank is a God, classic country is good, you're an ass. Early hip-hop was still fun...you're still an ass.

Bump

Then those people don't listen to a lot of country. Hip-hop/rap has never really been something I've really listened to or have an interest in. It's not that I hate it, I just don't like it that much. I've listened to the big names in hip hop(the classic ones and a handful of more recent ones) but nothing made me want to go "I should listen to this more or delve deeper into the genre"

Outlaw Country is a subgenre of country, and which one of those artists exclusively makes gospel music? Jesus christ.

>Outlaw Country
Ooops you didn't seem to read my post, did you?

Outlaw Americana, which is associated with Western

There are no good country artists and you have yet to prove otherwise.

Ohh, I thought you forgot a comma to separate Outlaw and Americana. Actually my bad there. But, you still haven't addressed my gospel music part.

The Carter Family
Jimmy Rodgers

Billy Joe Shaver shot a guy in the head 10 years back. Heck of a country singer and songwriter.

Those two artists are folk and Americana.

No, both artists are considered to be at the forefront of the birth of country music.

>every good country artist is exclusively folk or americana when it suits my argument
This is just stupid

if you show OP good rap he'd probably go like "but no, that's gangsta rap, it's not actually rap" like the little fail troll he is

1. Americana can arguably be considered county music. It at least took massive influences from county.
2. A lot of country music is in many ways American folk music, particularly olden country. It can especially be considered "Southern Folk."
3. "Outlaw Americana" doesn't fucking exist. You literally just made that up.
4. Western isn't a genre, and western music usually refers to country.
5. The Carter Family and Jimmy Rodgers are not fucking Americana. They're the reason country is even a thing.

>Someone says "all rock artists are bad"
>another person disproves this by showing them a metal band
>"Oh that's not rock, its metal"
Worst OP of the year so far

The fact you think you listen to everything but… is hilarious.

Country and metal are my two that i actively avoid. Several derivatives of rock like punk, grunge, garage. Really haven't tried reggae.

Honestly most "experimental" music is shit. Most noise rock and shoegaze are shit (the latter is a mixed bag for me, some gems but mostly festering feces).

I would argue that 95% of all music made is sub quality.

Stop being a faggot and pretending that personality has nothing to do with what you enjoy.

Shit OP BTFO

/thread

Putting aside your shitty opinions on hip hop and country, it's more a problem with saying 'everything but' or even 'everything' in general
You come off as trying to sound like you listen to more music than you do. There's music I like in all genres but when asked I'd say 'mostly folk and indie', because that answers their question of 'what music do like/listen to?' in an informative way. 'I listen to everything' doesn't fucking help them.

No (you) for (you).