Sup Forums Related Quotes That Have Stuck with You

Lines you found insightful, think about etc. I'll start:

Tony: "'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation."

Don: "People tell you who they are, but we ignore it, because we want them to be who we want them to be."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8WxUJ2qSp_E7
youtube.com/watch?v=13mHndt7db0
youtube.com/watch?v=w2MV-x924KA
youtu.be/_jwvBrlpnv0
youtube.com/watch?v=FKgPTkIulEI
youtu.be/T-j5XWo1fPI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>"'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation."
But it's the most comfy

I hope you caught the irony in him saying this after the whole Vipers joke got ran into the ground but he kept doing it with Chrissy

[spoiler}You're a big guy

Indeed I did. Most of their banter was based on the old days, he struggled with the romanticization of the old days vs now too, like when he met his dad's old goomah and at first looked at her like a cooler mom, then realized she was a desperate whore.

It is comfy, and it has its place, but there's something to be said for moving on. Living in the now or looking toward the future. Especially as you take stock in old friendships.

>Hurt people hurt people
-Greenberg

Sil: "I'VE SAID MY PIECE CHRISSY"

Dr. Pavel, I'm CIA.

This never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened.

Yeah, that's a good one. Got chills just thinkin' abut that scene.

A Man is whatever room he is in.

That's what love is Cosmo, happy sad

Young people don't know anything, especially that they're young.

The less we like ourselves, the more we like people who don’t like us.

Probably only because how far out of left field it came.

"All men must die, but we are not men"

Bravo. Just... fucking bravo.

Everyone with blood type AB, raise your hands.

>a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man

>i see the worst in people, Henry. i don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. i've built up my hatreds over the years, little by little. having you here gives me a second breath of life. i can't keep doing this on my own... with these, umm... people.

>i'm the anti-christ. you got me in a vendetta kind of mood. you tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you.

Goddamit I didn't know I was so edgy, but those are the quotes that stuck with me the most.

"No, you just got one rule, and it's a nice, simple rule. Tell the blunt, honest truth, in it's starkest, darkest way. And what will be, will be. What will be, should be, and everyone else is a coward. But you're wrong. It's not cowardice not to call someone an idiot. We do it because we have a trace of humility, because we know we will screw up. And the consequences of those mistakes, are our faults."

I still get shivers.

what from

>I have been watching my life. It’s right there. I keep scratching at it, trying to get into it. I can’t.

“Everything is more complicated than you think. You only see a tenth of what is true. There are a million little strings attached to every choice you make. You can destroy your life every time you choose. But maybe you won’t know for twenty years! And you may never ever trace it to its source. And you only get one chance to play it out. Just try and figure out your own divorce…

“And they say there’s no fate, but there is, it’s what you create. And even though the world goes on for eons and eons, you are only here for a fraction of a fraction of a second. Most of your time is spent being dead, or not yet born. But while alive, you wait in vain wasting years for a phone call or a letter or a look from someone or something to make it all right, but it never comes. Or it seems to, but it doesn’t really.

“So you spend your time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along, something to make you feel connected, something to make you feel cherished, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is is, I feel so angry! And the truth is, I feel so fucking sad! And the truth is, I’ve felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long, I’ve been pretending I’m okay, just to get along!

“I don’t know why. Maybe because…no one wants to hear about my misery…because they have their own.

Fuck everybody. Amen.”

>Don [Watching Ella]: The sky's bright today.
>Ella: You're not looking at the sky.
>Don: I can still see it.

What are the events in life? It’s like you see a door. The first time you come to it, you say, Oh, what’s on the other side of the door? Then you open a few doors. Then you say, I think I want to go over that bridge this time, I’m tired of doors. Finally you go through one of these things, and you come out the other side, and you realize, that’s all there are, doors, and windows and bridges and gates and they all open the same way and they all close behind you. Look, life is supposed to be a path, and you go along and these things happen to you, and they’re supposed to change you, change your direction. But turns out that’s not true. Turns out the experiences are nothing, they’re just some pennies you pick up off the floor, you stick in your pocket, and you’re just going in a straight line to you know where.

>It's a dog eat dog world Ray, and I'm the fucking chinaman.

Amen

Haven't been able to watch this movie since his passing.

>You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. [gestures to people far below] Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts, but I never forget... I'm living like there's no tomorrow, 'cause there isn't one."

What did he mean by that last part?

>...

That line was a revelation for me...I try to live my life by it now.

>I'm your father and you may not want to listen to this, but you are like your mother and me. You're going to find that out. You're a very beautiful girl. It's up to you to be more than that.

what's the context/meaning of the line?

"Dad, why don't we run down there and fuck one of those cows?" And the father replies, "Son, why don't we walk down there and fuck them all?"

The guy saying needed his shoes shined, but the shoeshine boy was being cunty, and insisted that it was his day off. The first guy had a big meeting later and really need to have freshly shined shoes, so he insisted that the shoeshine boy go home and get his fucking shinebox.

>The good is not beating the bad

Anyone who says Janny Jones is a shitty actress is kidding themselves. She was great and Betty was a great character.

Absolutely. She made it look easy, it wasnt.

>all that meme bro philosophy

I'm disappointed in you Sup Forums.

This. Nothing but pleb-tier, "dude so deepz lmao" bullshit quotes in here. Now I know why so many plebs on Sup Forums like Mad Men. It lets them think they're smart without intellectually challenging them.

'Everyone has their own problems. I'm not going to be the guy that dumps his on everybody else"

merchant entertainment convinces us to temporarily "believe" that life is a short trip, so we will whimper and feel sorry for ourselves, and buy the products they are peddling, like war and racism

what a surprise, a merchant is lying!

everyone believes in their own immortality, ESPECIALLY young people, even the merchant comically believes he's going to rule over the goyim forever

>and buy the products they are peddling, like war

Why would someone go to war if he thinks life is short? most people who go to war nowadays are religious fanatics who believe Allah will reward them in the afterlife.

And your blurb about immortality contradicts the rest of your post.

"What is happiness? It's the moment before you need some more happiness."

the third line is the accurate statement, in contradiction to the first 2

and war and racism most certainly make people who temporarily "believe" that they are mortals feel better, no one goes to war who doesn't believe they are fighting heretics/infidels/racists/terrorists

those who have abandoned sincere belief in God are still hardwired to seek God's approval, that's exactly how all this crazy social justice shit gets started, people trying to be 'good' to appease the empty hole in their head

>I don't like things because I'm smart and liking things is for stupid people

Cunts.

Were we suppose to sympathize with Don? He was a rich, handsome, white man who had a banging hot wife, dumped her, got another banging hot wife, dumped her again. Why wasn't he satisfied with is life?

Louis CK:
>The best BBC is the one in my wife
>The second best is the one in my mouth

because maybe that life isn't what everyone thinks it is

you were supposed to sympathize with the fact that he just couldn't be happy even if, through the eyes of everyone else, he just had to be

"Kirk is a faggot"

watch it chrissy

Are there any films or television that feature dialogue that speaks to you?

Yeah, no. That's what literature is for. Every here of Cicero? Doubtful.

>hurdur "I don't even OWN a tv"

You can read Cicero and Voltaire and still find a quote or moment off a tv show that resonates.

Film and television are for mindless entertainment. If you want something to "speak to you," read a book.

if i wantd somehting to spek to me id talk to somone faget

"Mourning is just extended self pity"

Mad Men has a lot

Roger: "We drink because it's what men do"

Don: "I like being bad and then going home and being good"

"There is no they, there is no system, the universe it indifferent."

"What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness."

Weiner is an enormous talent, came up with so much classic stuff

The whole exchange from 2:30 onwards
youtube.com/watch?v=8WxUJ2qSp_E7
>"The only sin she's committed is being familiar"
>He doesn't know what he wants, but he's wanting"
"He knows - it's just the way he is."

Just a fantastic distillation of Mad Men's main theme into natural-sounding dialogue with a fuckload of sexual tension

Not a quote so much as a conversation, but it really does make me think.
>Have you tried playing with yourself?
>You mean...?
>With your penis?
>A little.
>How did it feel?
>I don't know? I don't know what to do.
>Do you want me to, uh... show you?

I really wish there were more Don and Joan scenes, their chemistry is incredible. But I don't think it really could have topped this scene or the whole precluding episode.

>He doesn't know what he wants, but he's wanting"

Absolutely, this scene is teeming with sexual tension and history and comfiness. Remember watching it for the first time like wew.

Just watched this episode the other night and, man, the way that Roger goes about explaining it is wonderful.

youtube.com/watch?v=13mHndt7db0

youtube.com/watch?v=w2MV-x924KA

Is there a better exchange in the entire show?

I can recite the entire opening scene of TDKR so that

I think part of their amazing chemistry is because of how relatively few scenes they had together. Both are the 10/10 All-American Alpha Male and Female with incredible charisma that is betrayed by crippling sex, gender and identity complexes. Their ability in this scene to see that in one another is exactly why it never could've worked

Same here. While it's far from the most instrumental scene of the show, I'll point to it as a perfect summary of Mad Men's unsurpassed strength with character, theme and dialogue (Sopranos is its only bedfellow)

"The Man with the Miniature Orchestra" by Dave Algonquin

youtu.be/_jwvBrlpnv0

I love Walt's monologue from Breaking Bad when he talks about hitting every green light while driving to his surgery. It's such a great scene because it comes at a time when we're so used to Walt lying and bullshitting to everyone around him that it almost sounds false at first, but as it continues all the emotion comes through

>This country was build by men with worst stories than whatever you're imagining here. The Japanese have a saying, a man is whatever room he is in. Now, Donald Draper is in this room.

Bert motherfucking Cooper man.

Joan was Roger's girl and Don respected that. But also he would get his ass fired if he ever made a move on her.

classic

We're flawed, because we want so much more. We're ruined, because we get these things, and wish for what we had.

If I ever climb the ladder of a company I'd definitely want to end up as somebody like Bert.

"Why does nature vie with itself"
I dunno why but it just stuck with me.

youtube.com/watch?v=FKgPTkIulEI

great film, full of beautiful dialogue

>Religion is like Paul Rudd. I see the appeal, and I would never take it away from anyone, but I would also never stand in line for it

"We used to make shit in this country, build shit..."

youtu.be/T-j5XWo1fPI

really makes you think

Augustus had a lot of thought provoking monologues

What a couple a queeahs.

Bobbie Barrett said the bad/good line.

So did Don

Is that the one when Roger says, modern men drink to lick their invisible wounds? Or some shit like that?

>"You obviously aren't interested. Why waste time on kibuki?"

"Excuse me?!"

>"Listen, I'm not here to tell you about Jesus. He either lives in your heart, or he doesn't."

Also,

>"You’ll realize in your private life that at a certain point seduction is over and force is actually being requested.”

Also,

>"I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent."

All in the same fucking episode. Fuck, Mad Men is great.

Ain't no shame in holding on to grief, as long as you make room for other things too.

A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

This entire season was a fucking masterpiece.

The pennies on the floot and the doorway themes reverberate throughout the entire season.

>Human emotions are a gift from our animal ancestors. Cruelty is a gift humanity has given itself.

Incredible show. The show is lowkey so fucking good with the dialogue. It's not like in Sorkin's shows, where it's very show-offy "smart" things to say, which I enjoy sometimes, but Mad Men is so low key.

That entire episode, The Hobo Code, was about how external signals tell people a lot about their inner selves. The gay guys talk in code to find out if the other guy is gay. Don realizes his gf likes the beatnik guy because of the photo he takes of them, Don says "no, you can't go out there" because he doesn't look like a beatnik and won't get stopped by the cops, the entire hobo code story is about how hobos find out if a dishonest man lives in a house, and the episode ends with the sign of a dishonest man- Don Draper's name on the door.

You cant win with this shit, because even if he had a completely perfect life you get people jumping this the side of "oh bro man you dont get it thats not all there is to life man". There comes a point when whining about shit when you live a perfect life becomes stupid but well never get to see it cause everyone people defend it

fuck, rip Coopsy

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
and I looked and behold, a pale horse.
And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Agreed

"remember when' is the lowest form of conversation" was the best part of that episode

that was the point of the very next-to-last scene in the finale

it took a dude with an actually tragic existence spilling his guts for Don to realize how good he had it

>Despite all my knowledge and intrusion I can never entirely predict you. I can feed the caterpillar, I can whisper through the chrysalis, but what hatches follows its own nature and it's beyond me

I love this line because it shows how little Frank understands about the world around him. We still build shit, the US has the 2nd-highest industrial output in the world. We just don't need as many people to build all this shit as we used to, thanks to automation. He's completely obsolete, but instead of recognizing that he chooses to pin all his problems on this vague idea of Americans "not building things anymore".

What the fuck are you talking about? Don resonated with that guy because he felt like him. He was depressed because he was living another man's life and Dick Whitman was never loved by anyone.

Except David Simon definitely did not write the line with that intention. If you've seen any interviews with him, it's pretty clear that his characters are just mouthpieces for his own agenda, hence some heavy handed dialogue like this.