Does nu-Sup Forums even know what this album is anymore?

Does nu-Sup Forums even know what this album is anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
youtu.be/zF3jXw81yVA
youtu.be/YW6eHunEysA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw fast and bulbous

It's a good experimental album. People go mad over it for some reason.

I'd prefer if they didn't. I'm sick of the constant "WTF DID I JUST LISTEN TO?" and "are people just pretending to like this?" threads.

Isn't that the album about Anne Frank?

Come to think of it, you're right. It's probably for the best. When everyone is going through the "THIS IS SO RANDOM LMAO" phase at the same time, no one leaves it

This album killed all other music for me.

I have no desire to listen to it just because of how high my expectations have been set after seeing hyped up so much. Something tells me that I'd probably love it if I didn't have any knowledge of it.

I miss the 90s!! Dxx

Honestly I prefer the mid-point between his straight blues rock and his super-modernism. On Strictly Personal it's psychedelic and abstract and obscure, but still at the point of legibility.

Stop browsing mu and other meme sites. Get into serious music, or at least interesting underground rock and jazz, and then approach the album once you've built up that context.

Mirror Man though

That's great too. All his stuff from Decals and before is an indispensable part of underground rock music's backbone.

I came here about 10 months ago and yeah, I know what it is.

I used to absolutely hate it and while it hasn't become an all time favorite I still enjoy the hell out of it.

What's it like being a jailb8 tripfag with less than a year under his belt?

what

You got here 10 months ago, yes?

Yes

It's shit that people pretend to like. I've never heard one argument on this board about why this album is good.

Just seems a bit premature to trip is all. The classic trips from 2011-14 actually earned the right to have such prominent identities, the culture of the board should be focused on roughly equal discussion.

>>>/noose/

So, when did this nu-Sup Forums begin, because what you describe has been going on for the past 5 years

Perfect blend of blues and jazz and the quintessential avant garde record. Nothing like it, easily top 10 albums of all time.

this. if you don't like it just don't listen. otherwise feel free to discuss it but posting some stupid shitpost and having the same discussion every day is pointless.

For anyone interested, here are two videos discussing the album.
youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
The man even went as far as to transcribe this monstrosity of a song. He also analyzes classical music.
youtu.be/zF3jXw81yVA
And here's a documentary and reviews from his band members, producers and music critics.

This "album" isn't even "music". Its so fucking bad. The harsh squeaking of the bass clarinets make me want to literally kill myself.

If it makes you feel anything it's done it's job well. The record is hilarious.

That would be Hair Pie: Bake 1 and that's 1/28 songs on the album. No one considers it pleasant or coherent, but that's not to say that the whole album is like that. Also,

The thing is I've been playing bass clarinet and low clarinets such as contralto and contrabass since I was 10 and I'm currently 23. The fact that anyone would consider an album that even only has one song with screeching bass clarinet as one of the greatest album ever is like a kick in the fucking dick.

I get and I agree with you. It sounds horrible. And again, it's 1/28 songs on the album. But just listen to Hair Pie: Bake 2.
youtu.be/YW6eHunEysA

I get it*

No thanks, I'll stick to Kendrick Lamar, Gorillaz and Tame Impala

Its not like its posted every fucking day or anything

HOT ANTS RUNNIN'

LIL PISTOL TOTIN

>The classic trips from 2011-14 actually earned the right to have such prominent identities
LOL

Go outside

Fuck off

t. mad Scaruffi drones

I discard musical opinions of everyone who thinks this is 10/10

black ants crawlin'

i bet u like kanye

i know it bc amanda palmer referenced it in theatre is evil

So basically you're a narrow minded nigger faggot. This album is one of the best of all time. You're just a small minded nufag

This. Kanye fucking sucks.

Nah I don't
Try again

It's not an album for musicians. It's an album for listeners.

I for one am a musician.

I used to hate on this album really fucking bad.
The more you listen the more you notice, or hear things that start to change your mind.
One day I was listening to this ironically, and a lyrical phrase from the song Daccau Blues stood out to me.

"Don't let the third one fall on world war three"

I instantly googled every lyric used on the album, and being the lyric fag that I am I discovered that this album had some of the most poetic lyrics I've ever heard in my life. So I listened more and more. I fell in love with Don's voice. Over time I noticed certain musical accents lining up, and the album has blistering solos.
It's musical Dadaism essentially.

If you hate on it it's probably because your musical mind/vocabulary is limited to the point of small minded retardation, and you probably don't know how to embrace anything artful in music. This little known album set a creative bar for musicians even today.

Just go into it open minded.

What a bad post. Every person I've ever met who knows and likes this album is a musician

Read Finnegans Wake by Joyce. I wouldn't be surprised if Vliet was familiar with Joyce's later work.

It scratches the same itch for me and even moreso. Extreme levels of abstract association, allusion, portmanteaus, and general wordplay.

>tfw started tripping just in time to be classic
Thanks user, I like you too.

They're probably idiot faggots.

I attend a top music school and no one has ever even heard of this album: not the classical majors, not the jazz majors, not even the composition students.

Get bent.

Definitely have to check it out. Been looking for more abstract things to involve myself with.

Thanks to cracked.com most people who haven't read it will tell you it's meaningless and pretentious, but if you have a good mind for wordplay and you read it you'll see how untrue that is. It helps to be familiar with the western canon and Irish folklore/culture but it isn't essential

Finnegans Wake is Joyce's worst fucking work. People worship it because it's muh James Joyce. Ulysses is his magnum opus. FW is gobbledygook.

Just like with Joyce, Vilet's best albums are anything but Trout Mask Shitplica.

Because it's a landmark achievement in music history

I'm a musician and I like Trout Mask Replica.

Have you actually tried reading it? It isn't gobbledygook at all, if you subvocalize while reading it you can pick up on all of the puns and wordplay and it makes pretty clear sense.

A while ago I posted an example of a paragraph on /lit/ and showed the best way to read it if you want to understand it; I can post that if you'd like

I'll probably familiarize myself before reading it then. I like to go into things clearly.

musician aka juggler.

I mean.... It depends on what era you're speaking of. Back in the day Trout mask was pretty much Dons only pretty successful album. He did his bluesy albums after working with some labels, and people were turned off by other albums because they didn't have the same level of eccentricities. Nowadays is different. Other albums can be seen as better because we have time and the option to pick, and choose. Back in his time a lot of people wanted that trout mask vibe a lot.

People involved in the "musical underground" that is.

I'd say Joyce is literary Impressionism, which makes it closer to Remain in Light, while Trout Mask Replica is musical Dadaism in a way.