Disregard the shitty and cancerous fanbase for a moment. What does Sup Forums think about Minecraft as a game...

Disregard the shitty and cancerous fanbase for a moment. What does Sup Forums think about Minecraft as a game? It's not that bad of a game when you put the cancer that surrounds it.

Not my cup of tea. I need some purpose in a game. It depresses me to gaze upon my creations standing empty and useless.

Fun for an hour or two, then the fun depletes; this coupled with the fan base make the game shitty imo

never played it. it looks like a kids game

single player gets boring after a while, multiplayer is where the game shines imo

Java. /thread

it gets kinda boring quickly imo
you can have everything done except for bosses in an hour or two

around 2011/2012 played with a bunch of guys from high school, was really fun making small towns and communities where we work together rather for once rather than shooting the shit out of each other in FPSs

we still trolled the fat kid's house on the regular though

Well, if you enjoyed SimCity or other games that let you build things forever. Minecraft is for you.

I build with adventure mode in mind. I've essentially turned minecraft into rpg maker.

I'm the kind of faggot who will play a game's map editor for 12 hours straight because I love building shit. So is my best friend.
We both thought we'd hate it because of the fan base, we now play it every weekend. Rip

I rather install gentoo.

Yes, Minecraft works really well as a RPG, but you are quite early at a point in the game when the game is too easy.

I'd love it but it never satisfied me. Everything I build looks like the same shit unless I put 24 hours into each creation.

It's one of those games you play and have your fun. Then you leave for a long time to come back and have your fun. Then leave for again for a long time.

>tfw never used creative mode
>tfw never used plugins
>tfw never used texture packs

gets kind of old after awhile but nothing out there really changes the core of the game

the best part is online, but servers are so desperate to compete there aren't any good build and survive servers

I've never been good at building games. I can make a block house.

lets all get on a near vanilla server and fuck around mates

not you tho

That is the thing, for a Mincraft server to be great, it needs creations that will be built over the months, I think it takes about a year until a server has the structures that look good.

With a good mod pack, Minecraft can be fun actually

>Feed The Beast

It's a super relaxing game. For a person whose job is quite stressful, it's a great fit.

Loved it when it came out, but every time I try to go back to it I get bored pretty quickly. I feel like I should love the game because I enjoy creating things, but when I play I feel like I should be drawing or something instead.

I just dig big holes, I wish I had some screenshots of my mine pits. I just clear every brick and build a massive inventory. Then I dont know what to do.

will you pay for hosting?

I agree, I spend hours almost daily mining resources with a YouTube Vlogger like Sargon of Akkad in my headphones.

kids games for babbies with weird brains

I honestly think it's a good game, or at least it is if you find the right servers bc community is mostly shit

I argue Call of Duty and all of those games attract kids more. If anything the Minecraft community (if there is one) seems to have female players, but again, if may just be the avatar.

It was good up until 1.4. After that, the creator - Notch - quit and said he was done. After that, the co creator took over and the game went to shit. It was good up until then. I can't stand it anymore

i found a few mods are necessary to prevent absolute chaos, for example:

anti fire mod to prevent people from completely burning down other's houses (everybody having to use stone looks like shit)

door and chest locking

i havent played for a long time so i don't know how easily mods are implemented now or if even these things can be done without them

some sort of anti-grief is nice

yeah kids can and will play anything, whether they understand or it just appeals to a "primal" urge.

It is not nessesery on the server I play on, we all know each other IRL,

The base game gets boring after a few hours. However, Minecraft has an outstanding modding community.

I sunk thousands of hours into this shit, particularly around all kinds of hardcore tech mods and whatnot, I just can't get enough of this crap.

all the recent updates have been ass.

multiplayer is the only reason we still play it.
it's fun to grab some friends and race to kill the dragon or do a 4-player uhc or some pvp shit.

Played it since I was a kid. Can confrim the fan base is super cancerous and that you should never Intract with them. Ever.

Otherwise it's a fuckload of fun. I pay for a realm server so me and my friend can have fun. Great system, allows you play adventure maps and what not, so we go though the super hostile series.

I've come to find single player boring though, so I really only play on the realms server.

As for multiplayer, like real servers, it's shit don't do. They have slowly devolved into kid friendly, stupid fucking servers. Nothing like the old days.

Well that's the thing. You know each other IRL, so if someone burns down your house, you know where they live IRL and you can burn down their house.

Its good shit if you play with someone you know, I did survival island (start with small island with some resources to expand like hell). Was probably one of the most fun experiences in my gaming career

>Minecraft
>Played it since I was a kid
Slit your throat.

>Chest locking
Ender chests exist. All you need is the mod where you can select individual blocks and make them indestructible (forgot the name).

It's written in java therefore it's shit. Until it's written in a proper and better performing language like C++ it will be nothing more than a pile of laggy, unstable crap. Microsoft (?) is apparently working on a C++ edition and the performance difference in the preview is huge. I won't come back to the game until they finish transitioning from java.

How about

No?

Windows 10 version and consoles have been rewritten in c++.

You need to play this game with mods. You get some good mod packs like rr3 or infinity, this game has tons of potential. Also make a server and play with friends

Those dirt blocks exposed in the foundation are triggering me

Well, we are all adults, so we don't resort to that kind of behavior.

Yea man, got to go down to the grass.

Did not know that. Still, I wouldn't infect myself with windows 10 just to have access to a single game.

Haha true. But windows 10 version has no mods so its vanilla. And vanilla gets to boring after a few hours

great game, tho pretty eerie when you give it a deeper thought

pure vanilla yes but plugins on servers are a-okay

>Played it since I was a kid

minecraft came out in 2009

how old are you

Realms?

21 in a few months

My castle, my rules. I thought it looked weird Ideally I would have some dirt half-blocks or slopes to make the hill meet the castle foundation. But it wasn't in the last update...

They are called plugins and there are billions of them. If you pay for hosting i will setup the server.

>It's written in java therefore it's shit. Until it's written in a proper and better performing language like C++ it will be nothing more than a pile of laggy, unstable crap. Microsoft (?) is apparently working on a C++ edition and the performance difference in the preview is huge. I won't come back to the game until they finish transitioning from java.

Can confirm for this user.
I run a really low end system, and back in the baby stages of minecraft, it was nowhere near as bloated or had nearly as much to track. Lag was pretty bearable. As they added more and more shit to the game though, performance just took a massive shit, and you need a surprisingly powerful system just to run a fucking 16x16 pixels texture block game.
I suppose an okay comparison would be the fact I can run Guild Wars 2 at max settings, and still have much, much, better performance wandering around the world than either modded (Basic shit like forge and optifine) or unmodded MC.

tl;dr it used to be pretty good but it's a bloated mess now

Hard to believe user, but that was 8 years ago, give or take a few months. Time flies, huh?

just go C

Its early simple versions were great. Now it has so much useless shit shoved in it. Also the community wasnt full of kids and "trolls" in its earlier days.

played it a really long time ago...got bored within an hour. never quite got used to the graphics and it looked very tedious and aimless.

that said...i did not play it with friends, and this was before there were countless plug-ins for it.

While I agree from a performance standpoint, writing mods for the C++ client is a nightmare, and it will never reach similar proportions as it did for the old client.

I suppose this is a matter preference between players, if they value the mods or the performance more; personally I'm not going to switch to the new client, simply because the mods I use pretty much add 50 times more content. The idea of going back to vanilla Minecraft is beyond dull.

I had my fun with it from ages 12-14/15 when it was in beta 1.7.3 or something. Honestly, its a pretty enjoyable time waster and neat to just explore the random terrains. Its a shame that the same age group in this day is so cancerous and give these kinds of games a bad name. Would play again while high/10

Vanilla? Honestly a pretty cool game.
With mods? Fucking awesome.

I was getting into it a few years back, mining, starting to learn redstone, exploring, etc. Then the game crashed and all my save data got erased. Never went back.

IMO its pretty fun to play with a couple of friends occasionally maybe some multiplayer. but the problem is when the servers are filed with sweat balls and shit it so weird like they raid bases and shit

Well, they're making mod writing for the C++ client a nightmare for a reason. They want to push Realms shit, and their premade mods for it, and suppress free modmaking and private server ownership. It's a pretty obvious business tactic. I predict the death of this game not with a roar, but a whimper and cash grab. It's micro$oft after all. They even regularly do surveys on their players as to what servers they play the most and why.

It's ok to kill some time and with other people on a server it is a very good experiance

The rest is cancer

How is writing mods a nightmare? You realize Half Life, GTA SA, Unreal Tournament and WC3/Starcraft were one of the most modded and popular games at their time and they were not written in java? It's not that mods would be difficult to make it's just that current mods would have to be ported to support the "new" engine. It wouldn't be that difficult since most programming languages just have a different syntax, the logic behind coding is almost universal especially since the game will remain the same. If anything C++ will allow better quality mods.
The only factor is how much modding Microsoft allow.

Depressing

To be fair, UT and WC3/SC have map creators and in-house editors for that purpose.

There's no reason why minecraft wouldn't get something similar. As I've said, it's all up to Microsoft. If they fuck up modding I'm sure there are already open source alternatives to minecraft with tons of mod potential.

Those games natively support modding, Minecraft does not. Microsoft has no plans to add support for modding either.

I'd also mention that Minecraft's been pretty much modded to the point where barely any of the original game engine exists, whereas most of the games you mentioned only have very small modifications.

There's plenty of reason, actually. Back in the beta editions, EARLY beta editions we were promised client-end Mod APIs that'd let servers send whatever mods it had installed to our end and let us play that modded server, without any need for client-end setup, or, god forbid, without shitty launchers like Technic. If we didn't get them then, I don't see why we won't get them now.

I remember playing on a server with some farming mod a while back and having a huge walled in garden.
Ended up selling produce to build my base bigger, was pretty good.

That's not how game engines work... Minecraft mods are just as "small" as those of other games. I have yet to see a mod which actually changes anything in the engine itself.
But yeah, if Minecraft doesn't plan adding mod support then it will probably die soon. That's probably why windows 10 auto-downloads it and some other games while you're not looking. They killed the mods which were the only reason Minecraft got popular so now all that's left is very very aggressive advertising.

I suppose tl;dr is yes it was great back then but it aged horribly, and the only way to make it run decently and age well would make it lose it's soul and main reason to play it anymore