Do you think traditional discipline is okay? I think it really helped me grow into a well rounded individual...

Do you think traditional discipline is okay? I think it really helped me grow into a well rounded individual, but I wanna know what others think.

> it really helped me grow into a well rounded individual

and yet here you are on Sup Forums

For children, no.
For women, yes.

Only if you and your child aren't intelligent enough to discuss why certain actions are wrong.

All reasearch show the opposite.

What do you mean by "well rounded"? Can you fully love, and trust other individuals? Do you know how to properly handle anger? Are you able to understand and analyze complex situations, instead of just instinctively reacting to them?

If you are sure "traditional discipline" (and from the picture I assume you mean physical punishment) is the thing that actually made you "well rounded"? Who would you be if your parents hadn't tormented you in this way?

Questions, questions...

Basically promotes the ability to see what's right and wrong for the child. Seeing as they mostly learn from pain i.e "Oh that's hot, it hurt me, better not do it again", in my eyes it would be beneficial to smack the fuck out of the kid if he does something that doesn't initially promote the feeling of pain so that they learn from that

Absolutely. If more millenials had gotten the belt, they wouldn't be so fucked.

Would you hit an adult when they do something you don't like? If yes you don't get the social contract and your kid is going to be messed up regardless. If no, then why would you teach your child to deal with problems in a way that isn't acceptable?

That is how you could (I didn't say "would", because it's still cruelty) teach an animal what's right and wrong. Humans are able to reason and communicate. Be firm, be consistent and do communicate with your child and they will both learn what's right and wrong - and they will at the same time learn to trust you as a parent. That pays off more in the long run.

I'd rather get caned/whipped then go to prison.

Traditional discipline just teaches a child that adults are selfish, irrational bullies who cannot be trusted. At best, it may make them superficially better citizens purely out of fear and indoctrination North Korea style.

A child only needs to be taught critical thinking. Then they should be left to do as they will. You don't get to fucking control other people, even if they are "your" kids.

>You don't get to fucking control other people, even if they are "your" kids.
Your children are the reason I hate kids.

agreed lmao

You cannot "learn' right and wrong. Morality stems from human social emotions. You're either a sociopath or you aren't.

While I totally agree with the whole idea that it's better off in the long run, I also feel still somewhat pulled towards the idea of some sort of punishment for doing a bad thing. Good example of whatits best put as is the Five Monkeys and a Ladder experiment, though the validity of it is completely unknown to me personally since I haven't dwelled into it

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would guide them with reason and incentives. If I hit them, I'd expect them to hit me right back.

Lmao what? My child crosses the street when he wasn't supposed to. So instead of saying "that's wrong" i say "Wow you must be a sociopath"

Explain to him why that should not be done. You can pull him off the street of course, but that's not "discipline".

Because no kids who’s never gotten burned will ever be able to learn not to touch a hot stove top, amirite?

No kids who’s never been in an accident will ever be able to learn not to cross the street without looking.

No kids who's never been raped will ever be able to learn not to go with strangers.

Yeah, I guess kids do only learn from pain.

Young children don't respond that well to your vaunted reason. Once they're a certain age and a foundation has been laid, then you can do that.

Indeed

So you just smack 'em around?

I received loads of corporal punishment. All it did was make me better at hiding shit and lose respect for my parents.

this

One of the coolest thing about having (young) kids is the total trust they have in you. Unless you destroy it, of course.

Like other people have posted, verbal discourse is powerful enough and rich enough to explain to children and other adults what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

However the problem with corporal punishment is either the person performing the punishment enjoys physically harming another person, or the person doing the punishment wants the other person to become violent themselves. Either way it isn't about fixing behavioral problems but instead molding their psyche. For example the person doing the punishing prompts the other person into making an infraction in order to incur the following punishment, and they do it over and over again.

Such actions don't raise well rounded individuals but instead spineless worker ants or violent savages. It creates a social dynamic of the beaters and the beaten where anyone who does not fall into line is subject to becoming another beaten person. A well civilized and highly advanced society instead aims at producing individuals who opt to resolve conflict verbal discourse where logical arguments take precedence over domination and submission. Such a society would also aim to produce individuals who can tolerate the stress of living as responsible adults whereas a punishment based society aims at breaking down individuals with the least amount of punishment acceptable.