Tl;dr fuck $uicideboy$

Let me preface with a usually irrelavant disclosure: I'm black.

I know my ilk have the nonsensical defensive nature when it comes to "cultural appropriation" and "culture vultures". I know it's dumb and Im not going to waste your time and my time defending it, but this time I feel it's warranted and want to see if I have any racial bias or not.

I'm sure it's not all that surprising to you all that Im a fan of hiphop. I grew up in the south so I naturally I have a penchant for southern hiphop. Within the south, particularly Florida, a movement of which I'm sure some of you know about came about around 2011-12 called the "memphis rap revival". It was spearheaded by SpaceGhostPurpp and his collective Raider Klan (Denzel Curry was a member)

It was widely popular and another popular act that blew up in that scene was Lil Ugly Mane, who gets posted here all the time.

Most of those guys were considered the "first wave" of acts within that scene, long story short most of them went on to different sonic directions and some just stopped making music entirely.

I personally didn't have much reservations between the first wave of artists, they all took the memphis influences in, but they all had something interesting to add to the mix.

But there is this extremely popular act called $uicideboy$ that I can't fucking stand. If there was ever an approipate time to label someone a culture vulture it would be them and their entire shitty fucking label.

Their entire aestethic revolves around this "sinister/horror inspired" theme that's nothing more than empty posturing.

>Lyrics are emo stream of consciousness spiels that are so formulaic its as if theyve created an algorithum to churn out verses for them
>Cant live without sampling pre-existing memphis music and instrumentals they even so far as to take an entire verses from memphis rappers and shamelessly put them in their songs

They entire shtick revolves around reappropriating pre-established music from a region and era

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/g59/pictures
youtube.com/watch?v=iUY5Of6DAOk
youtube.com/watch?v=AfU2TSunpXU
youtube.com/watch?v=4KsQbqy5-Dk
youtube.com/watch?v=XGMeCIKM2zE
youtube.com/watch?v=SmiEgds5Wv0
youtube.com/watch?v=RsWMqMx5Of8
youtube.com/watch?v=mj9T_cOMO1E
youtube.com/watch?v=UFQrj3UONJ0&list=PLarm8ur_0POHr6DltPlbN5OY2ak4Yzxrc
youtube.com/watch?v=gOmjKvK7yFo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its manufactured to get money, just like pop music, if you ignore pop music you should ignore this

>mfw re-reading the OP

I really hope my spiel doesn't turn away people from discussing my thoughts, it's just that they piss me off so much I lose my calm and reason.

I don't usualy sperg out like this.

Interesting. Would you shit on someone like, say, Joey Bada$$ circa 1999 era for the same reasons?

I wonder what will they do when they will run out of songs to sample and stealing lyrics from Memphis rappers.

ehh, i think they're okay and they go a little bit too far with "paying homage" to memphis artists at times, white or not it's incredibly lazy.

i personally shit on joey circa the 1999 era because it was boring a derivative despite joey's potential to be an incredible emcee

The whole beast coast movement were a handful local rappers from the east coast trying to bring back the boom-bap sound that instrinic to the history and culture of hiphop they grew up listening to.

Let's talk about 1999 for example, did they sample beats and artists from an earlier era? Yes they did.

The issue is not sampling in general in regards to this specific instance because the whole ablum revovles around a concept of nostalgia for that era. Also let's not get it confused, the sampling in that record is pretty minimal, there is only a handful of songs that sampled earlier works.

The thing with suicidefucbois is the fact that the majority of their ENTIRE sound revovles around sampling memphis rap. It's not that difficult to create a horror-theme beat, many have done it and they're are flourishing scenes well outside of Memphis (Houston/Sacramento for example). Their entire discog is not a giant nostalgia trip. It's just lazy plagiarism.

Comparing the two is inherently disingenuous.

Shut up nigger, your whole genre revolves around stealing(how ironic). But yeah they are terrible, not for the reason you said and you talk like a huge faggot.

Like I said before I liked LUM MTA, so I'm not trying to force a race issue. He sampled memphis artists as well but he did it tastefully and the samples he chose were not only extremely well placed but pretty uncommon records, so for all intents and purposes it was genuine sampling.

I just looked at Suicidefucbois soundcload account and hit play.

Their new record has been out for 10 hours, not even half a day yet. It's called Pictures and features Maxo Kream.

I shit you not I noticed the sample literally 5 seconds in. The entire beat is ripped off from a popular memphis producer called Blackout. The album they took it from is called Paranoid Funk. It's a lil noid album. Song is called Try Me.

soundcloud.com/g59/pictures
youtube.com/watch?v=iUY5Of6DAOk

You see what I'm talking about?

It's a shame if you weren't a braindead shitposter we might be enlightened as why you think they're terrible, but I'm sure you'll need to wait for someone to formulate a response on your behalf.

Stick to NASCAR and save yourself a headache.

nah ify, that lil noid shit is heat though, as someone who's into the memphis revival but knows nothing about the scene besides three six what would you recommend for me?

DJ Sound is extremely underrated.

youtube.com/watch?v=AfU2TSunpXU

Check out this record.

If you like Blackout then check out his most popular album Dreamworld. It's a seminal album within the genre. Blackout is an extremely talented producer, what really sets him apart from every other producer in memphis is that he doesn't sample whatsoever.

youtube.com/watch?v=4KsQbqy5-Dk

>Nigger thinks he has a brain
Kek, its so funny.
>enlightened as why you think they're terrible,
Because they sound absolutely the same every time and they don't sound that good at all, its not about what they are doing but how they do it.
ALSO FUCK OFF TO /R/EDDIT. ITS SO EASY TO TELL WHEN SOMEBODY IS FROM THERE

>Because they sound absolutely the same every time and they don't sound that good at all, its not about what they are doing but how they do it.

That's what you were able to finally come up with, lel.

REAL RIVETING ARGUMENTS THERE WHITEBOI

Just give up. You're talking about reddit when you're so retarded calling you a Sup Forumstard would be insulting. Fuck off back to your containment board and Sup Forums urself.

>That's what you were able to finally come up with, lel.
Still better
>they wuz appropriatin our kulturez and shiet muh negroid
>REAL RIVETING ARGUMENTS THERE WHITEBOI
Considering this is a music board it is, unlike you who take political questions here.
>You're talking about reddit when you're so retarded calling you a Sup Forumstard would be insulting. Fuck off back to your containment board and Sup Forums urself.
I see that you're just a uppity nigger who cries about racism even on the internet, can't get more pathetic than that.

got any more? im tryna stock up

I don't know if it's because your family tree is a straight line, but you're too retarded to get the inference let me spell it out for you.

You see how you dismissed the whole OP and immediately had the nigger knee-jerk reaction? It's because you're so pitiful that the only opportunity you get to feel like a good ole boy is on the internet, because you know get your pasty white ass bent over irl if you tried it with a black irl.

This is a music board but the only critique you can muster is "they sound the same and not good at all".

The OP wasn't political but you're trying to make it seem like it is because the only time you feel confident making arguments is over petty political discourse because you have all the talking points memorized so you can spew all the rhetoric and your jpg stash without much thought or effort.

No one here is crying racism. You're just pretending I am because you think an autist on the internet calling me a nigger offends me.

Please.

not reading any of that shit OP, but suicideboys is terrible. It's THOT music.

youtube.com/watch?v=XGMeCIKM2zE

youtube.com/watch?v=SmiEgds5Wv0

youtube.com/watch?v=RsWMqMx5Of8

youtube.com/watch?v=mj9T_cOMO1E

youtube.com/watch?v=UFQrj3UONJ0&list=PLarm8ur_0POHr6DltPlbN5OY2ak4Yzxrc

youtube.com/watch?v=gOmjKvK7yFo

Should get you set up.

>>It's because you're so pitiful that the only opportunity you get to feel like a good ole boy is on the internet, because you know get your pasty white ass bent over irl if you tried it with a black irl.
You seems to be some kind of a psychic arent you, you fucking faggot? More than anything the way you type indicates you're a pussy nigger and get made fun of others niggers irl. And your baboons act loud only in pack otherwise they are quiet alone, its really funny.
>The OP wasn't political but you're trying to make it seem like it is because the only time you feel confident making arguments is over petty political discourse because you have all the talking points memorized so you can spew all the rhetoric and your jpg stash without much thought or effort.
Its like you're describing yourself
>culture vulture
>appropriating
Niggers could never think of these words by themselves if not for white liberals to defend them. You're trying to act smart but just end up looking retarded. Most likely you're not even black.

You know the majority of 1999 is borrowed beats, right? Some random 17 year old from Brooklyn didn't just get blessed with original beats from J Dilla, DOOM, Lord Finesse and DJ Premier. Mind you, some of the beats are original like the ones Statik Selektah and Chuck Strangers produced, but for the most part it's about as blatant of a sample you can get for each song: a complete rip of the original instrumental.

Still, kinda get what you're saying. Is your issue the fact that most of these people ripping Memphis' sound aren't from Memphis?

>HURR NIGGERS DURR and I know you are but what am I

You can't even talk shit. You're fucking hopeless. Seriously consider self-immolation and do us all a favor.

>Niggers could never think of these words by themselves if not for white liberals to defend them

The reason you think thats is because you lack a proper education yourself so the concept of black people attending school and having higher education is a foreign concept for you is because of your own inadequacies.

>HURR NIGGERS DURR and I know you are but what am I
Because what I said is easier to spot. And considering how desperate you're its hilarious.
>The reason you think thats is because you lack a proper education yourself so the concept of black people attending school and having higher education is a foreign concept for you is because of your own inadequacies.
But what I've said is true and you're just parroting what liberals are saying. Are you now trying to say that niggers invented these words? Its getting funnier with each post.

>Is your issue the fact that most of these people ripping Memphis' sound aren't from Memphis?

Not really, it's more about the constant use of sampling songs/vocals from that era for the production of their work instead of having them create something new or orginial. Also the frequency in which in happens and the general constinecy of its occurence is what bothers me.

I may be wrong on the sampling of 1999, honestly it's been a while so it might have been more than I can remember off the top of my head, but ignoring that hopefully my general point came across.

I get what you're saying, but I can't say I necessarily agree. How come sampling bothers you lol is it when they sample too much of a song? If so how much is too much?

im black and honestly don't give a fuck about $b they made their own lane and found a fanbase. stop hatin man.

nobody is forcing you to listen to them and they release everything free anyway.

>How come sampling bothers you lol is it when they sample too much of a song? If so how much is too much?

I didn't say they sampled too much of a song though. I'm saying their SONGS sample oversample 90s memphis hiphop for a majoirty of their discog. They're not digging in crates for samples, they're talking pre-established hiphop prod/vocals and using it for their shit because they're too lazy/incompetent to create ORGINAL WORK.

>they made their own lane

They didn't though, that's the thing.

>nobody is forcing you

So I can't critque their methods of jocking other peoples shit consistently?

>they release everything free anyway

Because they know they'd get sued by the producers/rappers they bite with every release.

All three legowelt memphis rap mixes.
Find out which artists you like most and expand from there.

Ok, I can feel you on that boul. It's annoying and uncreative, but does that make you not like the music or do you just not fuck with it regardless?

Honestly their flow/lyrcial content isn't that impressive to me. Their biggest selling point is their aesthetic, the problem with that is though is if you examine that under the microscope you realize how tastelessly manufactured it is.

I'm not even hating when I say I haven't heard a single song in which their rendition is better than the original song it was sampled off of.

It's like the musical equivalent of eating Walmart Great Value food, but instead of letting you know it's generic it's labelled like an actual alternative product.

>They didn't though, that's the thing.
in a way they did. LUM didn't want the fame and SGP pretty much and over again with his mental issues stopped any kind of success raiderklan had with his tantrums.
majority of $B fans are kids who were into warp tour crap but wanted that same "aesthetics" for hip hop.

>So I can't critque their methods of jocking other peoples shit consistently?
no you can critique! But i mean its rap which is all about doing whatever it takes to get what you want. Fads come and go I don't see these guys being talked about a year or two from now.

good post, but cut down on the redditspaces

>majority of $B fans are kids who were into warp tour crap but wanted that same "aesthetics" for hip hop.

I'm not going to disagree with you there.

>But i mean its rap which is all about doing whatever it takes to get what you want.

Lil Yachty best friend is his mainstay producer.

Ugly God makes his own beats.

Lil Uzi Vert pays for his beats

Just three popular examples. If you can name a single artist out now whose entire sound is sampled from other producers/rappers then I'll concede fully, I'm not talking about remixes/mixtapes neither, but have official releases thats foundation is set by sampling other hiphop acts.

They're the only ones I know doing it. Only reason they get pass is because what they sample is underground and not well known so they can get away with playing it off as original.

I can't write worth a damn. Spacing is how I naturally format it in my head for legibility.

>If you can name a single artist out now whose entire sound is sampled from other producers/rappers
i can't and i agree on that part is fucked up. but you should know after the drake ghostwriter fiasco. nobody cares about originality anymore even after they get busted.

They're the vanilla ice of southern underground hiphop, but their stans will try to tell you it's original.

I thinks that's what annoys me the most.

shut up lad