How is it even possible for this to still be, literally, the best action movie of all time?

How is it even possible for this to still be, literally, the best action movie of all time?

It came out twenty-five years ago, for Chrit's sakes.

That's not The Bourne Ultimatum.

Die Hard is better action film because Terminator 2 is a Sci Fi movie
and the reason it hasn't been topped because Hollywood (the only true source of ActionKino) stopped making good movies in the mid 90s when everything switched to CGI

Terminator is a sci-fi movie in the same way that the Room is a tragedy, and not a comedy.

this guys is partly right
now that directors are too lazy to even fucking pack stunt guys with blood squibs, we've lost the effect. but for reference, look at terminator 2's helicopter chase. a real fucking helicopter was flown under a bridge, before that, it almost ran into the fucking bridge and the pilot just pulled up over it. it's real. it's visceral.

you don't get that type of visceral impact anymore because these fucking directors go for cgi and our eyes can just tell.

T2 was one of first movies to feature fuck loads of kinda photo realistic CGI... yet it has tons of practical effects and shit like identical twins where viewer expects effects to be CGI.

>fuck loads
It's like 18 shots man.

Point is, things we know, like how vehicles move, how liquid moves, how smoke and dust moves around in the air, is very difficult for cgi to capture, yet more and more directors opt to go CG because they're easier to control out on location. when there is less CG, it's far easier to hide.

And the CG has not. aged. well. Not at all. Not saying that they should remake it, not saying that at all, but they need to remaster the hell out of the T-1,000.

The endo walking down the hallway is an example of something that hasn't aged well. the shots of the t-1000 walking out of the fire and running out of the elevator in liquid form are still impressive. it would help if we got a transfer from a non shitty source.

Not saying all of the effects haven't aged well, but the part at the end when he was exploded, and him rising up from the tiled floor in the asylum look pretty bad.

that's not die hard

actually blowing up actual cars and actual buildings

>mfw James Cameron pilots the helicopter to get this shot because the pilot was a fucking pussy

There will never ever be another director as based James Cameron in his prime

what shot are you referring to?

Cameron shot it himself as cameramen pussied out. Pilot was your standard Kiowa pilot, ie absolute madman. Cameron was sitting on tuckbed few feet from chopper.

Flying under the bridge.

Total recall is better
Better question is why do all the best sci fi movies ever all star Arnold

arnold can tell when a film will be good based on who hes working with and the script

and making as many effects as possible practically

About 85% of the T-1000's effects were actually practical, only enhanced with CGI to show the state change.

So this was an actual prop costume, with CGI used just for the split and the mend.

whenever he's got bullet holes in his torso, that's practical. The blown open head? that's real.

>Flying under the bridge.

I think you're mistaken, in the audio commentary I clearly remember Cameron praising the pilot for the job he did flying under the bridge

and you know what else was practical?

this

the polit wasnt who pussied out, it was the cameramen who did. So Cameron did the camera work

>How is it even possible for this to still be, literally, the best movie of all time?

FTFY

>civilized t2 discussion
oh i'm dumb, and can't read apparently

How's it feel to be wrong?

>pic related

What if...?

oooooh good try
close
but no chingar

Meh As good as Max was it was very derivative and felt low budget. When I watch the small errors build up and annoy the hell out of me. The feeling I was watching the movie of the last three post apocalypse books I read.

>Die Hard is better action film
Yes.

>because Terminator 2 is a Sci Fi movie
That's not why.

Because it was made by the king, what did you expect?

I liked the first one better. But 2 was pretty good as well.

>I liked the first one better. But 2 was pretty good as well.

I also prefer first one as it is darker and more of horror movie. Second is still one of the best sequels ever.

The first one is the better movie, the second is the better ACTION movie.

It's highly overrated. The first is far better.

Has the irony been lost on you that T2 is famous as a watershed moment in the history of computer animation in film, itself using CG for many effects?

Part of the reason why the CG works so well in T2, admittedly, is that in order to tell the story, they stick with very simple, reflective, obviously inhuman "metallic" forms, which the tech of the day was perfectly capable of modeling decently. Straight out of a 1980s 3D rendering practice exercise, or a vaporwave album cover, the creature literally assumes the form of a fucking checker-boarded floor, slowly transforming itself to assume the visage of a fat security guard.

Wait you said the piloted it himself and now he just worked camera?

This is a very obviously wrong opinion. Although its saving grace is its original and excellent premise (which was permuted every which-way in all the future media), The Terminator is also a badly aged film. From Linda Hamilton's frizz to the Arnold-maquettes, cameo Bill Paxton's ridiculous makeup, the kitschy synth score, and the sometimes grainy print, The Terminator shows its age in a way that its sequel simply doesn't.

A person with nostalgia for the 80s could fairly argue that these are all "positives", but I would reject this assessment, because the immediate sequel has better, god-tier pacing, a more compelling raising of the stakes, a /much/ better score, and even a plot twist if you think a moment and put yourself in the shoes of someone who has only seen the first film, and not the second. The kid isn't even annoying, as kids tend to be in these types of things - John Connor is sympathetic in that we quickly realize he has bounced around foster homes, and will be very important in the future - and yet he has his own personality, is actually helpful to "the mission", and has a coming of age in the course of this film. One way of seeing T2 is as a Bildungsroman, the young man's first encounter and battle with the reality of his future, with growth the result.

None of those "faults" have any material effect on the movie, provided your not an autist with unusually specific triggers.

why can't you just accept that T2 is a better film in nearly every way?

Skynet calculated the 90's edge correctly

How is it even possible for this to still be, literally, the best rock album of all time?

It came out twenty-five years ago, for Chrit's sakes.

25 Christmases i dont remember

"Chritmases."
this thread is about Chrit, our Lrod and Savoir.

post more CHRIT!!!

>Wait you said the piloted it himself and now he just worked camera?

I'm not the one that claimed he flew it in first place. The reason why all cameramen back off from that shot is rather rational. They are people that aren't rich as hell. If something goes wrong, insurance companies essentially consider it suicide attempt.

>This is a very obviously wrong opinion.

There is no wrong opinions, those are always subjective, even ill-educated ones like yours. One of Terminators is in NATIONAL fucking FILM REGISTRY and that is the first one.

>The Terminator is also a badly aged film.

Some of effects on first Terminator are more aged than in T2, but budgets were very different, like by order of magnitude.

>cameo Bill Paxton's ridiculous makeup

How the hell an actor pretty much at start of his career makes cameos? He was just another relatively unknown actor at that time, doing bit parts to get food on the table.

>and the sometimes grainy print

Fun fact: T2 has intentionally grainy picture. It was literally shot the wrong way around when it comes to wide screen and full screen TV/VHS versions. It was shot fullscreen, widescreen version was zoomed in on that fullscreen shot. By this point Cameron had been disappointed a bit with VHS releases of his films, so it had to be fixed. Part of his background as production designer before being allowed to direct movies this a result of his technical mastery of medium.

>god-tier pacing

Debatable.

>a more compelling raising of the stakes

Just in your opinion.

>John Connor is sympathetic in that we quickly realize he has bounced around foster homes, and will be very important in the future - and yet he has his own personality, is actually helpful to "the mission", and has a coming of age in the course of this film.

Change some pronouns and John to Sarah... sounds a lot like Terminator without number. From partying twenty something to someone with mission.

chrit thread woooo!!!

jesus christ

It's because Terminator 2 is a good film. It explores the whole ghost in the machine thing. Sure, it's been done, but Jim did it better. He explored the ghost in the machine concept with a movie that has a sentient fucking machine. It's fucking poetry that George Lucas can't even comprehend.

ATTENTION: THIS IS NOW A CHRIT THREAD.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN CHRIT THREAD:
1.) GOOGLE: "CHRIT"
2.) ???
3.) PROFIT

wrong again. It's spelled "CHRIT."
get it right next time.

John Wick was an excellent action movie desu.

am i doing it right?

>It came out twenty-five years ago, for Chrit's sakes.
>for Chrit's sakes.
>Chrit

But pic related is better though.

i like both of those movies, but you're both wrong if you think they compare to T2.

Is this thread a CHRITICAL HIT?

This is correct and should be written into law.

>The endo walking down the hallway is an example of something that hasn't aged well.
Yeah, that looks like some Ray Harryhausen shit, but they didn't have that big a budget so I forgive them.

Doesn't Cameron get the rights back in 2019?

Incredible isn't it.

Not only the greatest action, but one of the greatest sci fi as well.

>those fucking terrifying machine war scenes aesthetic which hasnt been bettered since

T1 is a solid fucking film, sure it hasn't aged well, few things do. The whole threat of the T-800 is something visceral that no other horror movie has topped. It's a god-tier slasher because its villain actually makes sense.

T2 did absolute justice as a sequel. There's no way to simply rehash the slasher-premise of the first film, so it took the sci-fi aspect of it and ran with it. Pure fucking action bliss. Because of the first film's set-up, Arnie reprising his role as the T-800 carries an incredible weight that only those who saw the first film can appreciate. He's not just starring in the sequel because it's a "franchise" (I.E. the same dull stock of Mahvel characters that get rehashed every film), but because it makes a perfect, twisted sort of sense. CGI still looks good even today, impeccable cast of actors who nail their roles. It kills me that nothing will ever top the experience of T1 + T2.

Still looks better than 99.9% of modern cgi + shakey cam combo

> ywn watch t1 and t2 in the theatres for the first time

Why even live?

You've never seen last action hero, big trouble in little china or escape from new york, you should watch those before you have an opinion on action movies.

Oh, and Die Hard, and Die Hard with a Vengeance.

It's not. Die Hard 1 and Terminator 1 exist

>the kitschy synth score
this is going too far, user.

>Doesn't Cameron get the rights back in 2019?

Yes, but he is way too preoccupied with Avatar sequels until 2023 at least if those crash with no survivors.

This is what he said after Salvation about Terminator...

>"From my perspective, it's run its course and I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said. Plus, frankly... the soup's kind of been pissed in a little bit by other filmmakers, so I don't have any personal desire to go back to it. So I certainly wouldn't want to be a dog in the manger and disallow my friends from making a little money off it. Why would I do that?"

Also a fun detail when it comes to sequels made by others. Producer and main writer or Sarah Connor Chronicles now works for Cameron. Kinda implies something about how Cameron rates those sequels.

sarah connor is a robit?

Nope, but good terminator... or at least neutral one was a girl.

ebin movie