What's your favorite album from the Blue Note jazz label?

What's your favorite album from the Blue Note jazz label?

What's your dream album by Blue Note? i.e. artists who never actually recorded an album together but who regularly recorded for the label.

probably pic related

and
my dream album is a more structured colaboration between ornette coleman and eric dolphy
i wish Jacques Coursil recorded in there, underrated player

This is a close second. Tony William's drumming on Air Raid might actually be my favourite percussion in any song I've heard. I had a fucking heart attack first time I heard it.

great great album, one of the firsts jazz albums i've heard

>my dream album is a more structured colaboration between ornette coleman and eric dolphy
I think that'd be disappointing. Dolphy could play circles around Ornette, especially in a structured setting.

Oh and my dream album features Lee Morgan, Miles Davis, Freddie Hubbard and Donald Byrd in an all flugelhorn ensemble with arrangements by Gil Evans, Gunther Schuller, John Lewis, Leonard Bernstein, Gerry Mulligan, Oliver Nelson, Claude Thornhill, and Stan Kenton

This feels so good with every listen. Art Blakey just takes command and doesn't let go, and I think Hubbard just kills throughout the whole album. Everybody that night was on their a-game, and I can very much feel myself in the recording studio, seeing each, individual player blowing away. Seriously, if you haven't heard it, you gotta listen, these cats know what's up

Did Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard ever even play flugelhorn? Or Don Byrd for that matter?

I'm pretty sure Freddie played. far as Lee and Don, not to my knowledge, but I hear they're pretty similar and if blue note was hypothetically gonna shell out for that ridiculous lineup of arrangers on a record with no commercial potential, I'm sure they'd stretch to buying a flugelhorn or two.

not op, but what I understand is that flugelhorn has a small learning curve, and most all trumpeters need to learn it if they want to have a successful career as a musician. It's almost like a sax player needing to know flute and clarinet so that they can get the big bucks.

i will give it a listen, thanks

A quick wikipedia search confirms that they all played it at some point in their careers.
Alas, what could have been.

Only Jazz I've ever listen to is TBAP

go away old people

Post your musicology degree and jazz vinyl collection (no fewer than 200 in the picture) with a timestamp. Jazz is not for children.

>musicology
>not jazz performance

get out

Too hard to choose a favorite.

As for dream Blue Note lineup:

Woody Shaw
Eric Dolphy
Joe Henderson (Sam Rivers is also acceptable)
Herbie Hancock
Ron Carter
Tony Williams

Compositions by Herbie

>What's your dream album by Blue Note? i.e. artists who never actually recorded an album together but who regularly recorded for the label.
is there anything really that makes a blue note album a blue note album?

I don't think what you said would have mattered back then

>is there anything really that makes a blue note album a blue note album?
just what it says in the OP. There are definitely certain artists who are Blue Note artists and some who aren't. For example Grant Green recorded for Blue Note but Wes Montgomery never did. Sam Rivers recorded for Blue Note, Archie Shepp never did.

Yeah, I guess you're right, considering I'm pulling from a more practical, modern approach. But again, it's still a pretty small learning curve and adds a neat effect, and I wouldn't doubt these great players' abilities.

That drum solo near the end of the title track is so smooth. I can just picture him smoking a cigarette and wearing sunglasses. It's so in control and effortless and not just technically good but full of emotion.

>favorite blue note album
pic related
>dream blue note line up
Dolphy, Rivers, Richard Davis, Billy Higgins

Dream album: Cecil Taylor Double Trio with Marcus Miller, Ron Carter, Art Blakey, and Chris "Daddy" Dave.

>and not just technically good but full of emotion.
Wow. I thought I was the only person on Sup Forums who realized that music could be both technically amazing AND full of emotion

working on a jazz performance degree and only have about 75 jazz LPs, but William Parker hired me for a gig today so i guess that counts for something eh? (sorry im excited)

>double trio
So who's the other pianist?

all of gogo penguin

Double quarter with Cecil Taylor, Ron Carter, and Andrew Cyrille and GoGo Penguin.

I might listen to that

blue train for sure

There can only be one.