Learned everything about music from listening and studying rap/hiphop...

Learned everything about music from listening and studying rap/hiphop, ask me any music theory questions you want to learn.

What is a subdominant chord with an augmented fifth commonly known as?

oh snap!
also i doubt your knowledge too.

rekt

that gif made me sick to my stomach

its referred to as what you just referred to it as, music major here. Good job pairing music theory related words as an attempt to demonstrate experience.

Depends on the context. It could just be the upper structure of a iimimaj7 or a secondary German chord, and it could be seen in even more ways in R&B or Jazz.

You said 'everything', faggot. It's a neapolitan subdominant chord.

Also, I doubt my knowledge too. Yet here I am, a succesful sound engineer with a slightly above-average cock. Bitches love me.

Show us examples of iambic pentameter for rap music from the first half of the 90s.

In the end though, you probably just did this.

lel. Nah, I do know what I am talking about. You should know that, mr. Music Major.

Or you could just say 5/4 metre. Which was, in fact, not common in 90s rap. You could really just Google examples, friend

Will your faggotry ever truly be expressed in song?

Yes, Queen wrote a song about it.

Waist of time asking YOU about music theory when rap/hip hop is not compositional music.
Go be a nigger somewhere else.

OP here, that's not me.
Subdominant in technical terms is either ii or IV, subdominant literally is IV.
Neither of those are related to neapolitan chords.

i doubt your cock claims.
also a succesful sound engineer is a oxymoron.

>waist of time

Maybe ask a question and learn.

OP here

i suck cock

You're not me. But I do love cock. Someone surely has a serious question that doesn't involve them attempting to stroke their ego.
C'mon, I normally charge $45/hr for this.

If I knew any theory in the first place i would ask something

Haha, true.

I think you've got things mixed up. Indeed, the subdominant chord is either II or IV, but the variation with a dim 6th or aug 5th (whichever way you want to read it) is known as a neapolitan subdominant for it's major use in classical music out of Napels.

It is probably more famous as it is used in the romantic era, as well as Rachmaninoff's piano concerts, where it almost abused.

>i am capitalism personified
kys

I suppose. I always refer to neapolitans without any adjectives or call them bii's. The wording of raised fifth through me off, too, as I alwayd think of it as a lowered 6th as to not confuse it with common function chords.
Might have some sort of autism.

>i do not know how to market my skills in a capitalist country
user, pls.

Heh, then you do know what I am talking about. You even noticed the off-putting augmented fifth. Good on ya, user!

whos the best rapper atm? and why is it kendrick lamar?

anyone got the other gif of this? I forgot what else its got in it, havent seen it in years

Well, I can tell you it's not Kendrick Lamar.

Sorry user, don't got anymore, but it is Leanne Crow, if that helps.

Rap and hip hop is literally the most musically simple genre there is. That's like I saying "I learned everything about engineering by building ramps" ask me how to build a fighter jet

But I've been answering questions with correct insight, user. Hiphop and rap also have plenty of subgenres with various influences dating back years of theoretical techniques.

People automatically assume knowledge is invalid if you prefer my genres. I think it gives me a more open take on things.
Don't get me wrong, most rap is actually unbearable, but when done right, it's right.

>i agree to be a part of the machine
seriously kys

>trying this hard to justify laziness
It's okay.

give me the top 5 rappers all time.
>pro-tip; you're probably wrong,and i'll tell you why

>trying this hard to justify being a wannabe elitist
i feel bad for you

whoa whoa! whats wrong with being lazy?

Eminem
Cee Lo
Andre 3K
Future
Mos Def

Best is subjective, my friend. I can't be incorrect on this.

>Inb4 """""""Eminem"""""

Plenty if you're trying to denounce someone striving for success in the environment they live in.

best is not objective; factor in sales, worldwide recognition, quality of production,''legacy'' etc.
and of course you are incorrect, and there are two obvious reasons. i'll let you point them out.

to each according to their needs bud,no more, no less. karl was right you know.

what's your favorite line or set of lines said in a song?

>ask me any music theory questions you want to learn
If a song is under the genre of rap or hiphop and the artist is a male, do they always have an uncontrollable urge to be a homosexual?

I'm afraid you're incorrect.
Best to one is not best to another, you can't factor in sales or even views and listeners, really, because that doesn't have much to do with talent and motive, but more how much you're willing to give up to a label to advertise you and make you their little puppy. Let me tell you, it's not fun.
I'm happy more and more artists are able to make their own way without having to sell themselves to labels thanks to the community.

Abaolutely, that's why so many artists overcompensate by mentioning women so much. We're afraid that our homosexual thoughts will catch up to us.

Makes sense and dubs must make it true. Thanks, it has been quite the quandary for some time, but now I know what to call my friends who pursue the rap genre.

Glad to help.

why is rap/hiphop only genres lately that anybody seems to give a shit about anymore? are there any emerging new genres that are worth a damn? for me, the music industries' creative assets all went extinct in the 90s.

i didn't ask you to give me YOUR top 5. i told you to give me the top 5. thery exist.
>selling a million records has nothing to do with luck, it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck

Ska is always present if that's your thing.

Your mother had bad milk.

but a prettier face and quality tits

You can simply google that, friend.
Diddy, Dre, Jay Z, P, and Russel Simmons have the most amount of networth, with record sales consistently in the mid-high to high tier. Yes, millions of people ARE stupid as fuck.

>Rachmaninoff's piano concerts

When I was young, I never needed anyone.

And making love was just for fun.
Those days are gone.

To each their own.

ska is not a new genre

What's a theoretically-sound example of rap music?

What would Hindemith endorse?

trips of truth
also;
>top 5 rappers
>no biggie or tupac
smh at you with hands on hips

oh i agree with the stupidty of people.thats just a Immortal Technique bar.
also only jay is a rapper there.

>why is rap/hiphop only genres lately that anybody seems to give a shit about anymore?

Funny, no-one I ever meet, see, hear or otherwise come into contact with cares about rap/hiphop.

He asked for cold, capitalist facts. But I'm not much of a fan of their music anyway, though I appreciate their message and what they gave.

no. if an opinion is wrong its wrong.

No Nas, either.

Andre would be considered consitently theoretically sound, having hefty influence from "Cool era" Jazz.

what is the optimal number of times you need to say "nigger" in a song to maximizes its profit margin?

>no Rakim
>no Guru
>no Big Pun
>no Cube
>no T
>no Snoop
>no Eazy
you could list forever and ever and ever and ever and....

Depends on the variation of the word.
2-36 times is optimal.

What would Hindemith have liked about Andre's work? Get into the bones, not just facile comparisons.

See

I want to fuck those titties

Can you make couple of bars where the whole bar rhymes ?

Now that's a problem.
The seventh chords and extensions, modulations, and improptu fashion of even the Jazz source is something he probably would not agree with.
I'm afraid you'd struggle to find any non-symphonic, orchestral, or classical chart that he and many other composers would not appreciate without wanting to tear apart something.

Rap/hiphop isn't music. It's the clicks and whistles that niggers use to communicate when raping white women and drinking malt liquor.

P
It's poor taste to alliterate-rhyme that much, but sure, anyone can really.

Then why can I place music theory to it? Please don't bully.

Serious question, OP:

Isn't rap/hip-hop somewhat specialized musicially? Like I'd rarely say there's much going on in terms of more complicated structure/harmony/counterpoint compared to other music. I don't mean to call you out on what you know or don't know, but I'd be very interested to discover more groups like death grips or clipping if you know any that fit into that category of experimental hip-hop, or hip-hop that has any sort of notable complexity.

Find artists who take inspiration from Jazz rather than underground music, that's where you'll find the most theoretically sound, experimental music, because the rappers will actually rhyme in key and create phrases organically while constantly improving their chord progression and back track ideas.

it seems like it is every where near me. I rent a music studio and like 65% of the other renters only do shitty rap (not even saying that rap is shit, just their rap is shit)

But yes, most rap is mindless nonsense. I don't deny that, nor do I enjoy it.

Hindemith's music fucked the rules all the time, in clever ways. But that's the difference between modern and contemporary composers and pop musicians without training: knowledge of the rules. Any fool can throw sounds together in a way that appeals to the masses. But to knowingly and cleverly break all the rules in systematic ways that do not appeal to most people in any way requires years of education.

That's what you should have said. Fuck music theory. No one cares about Picardy thirds, contrary motion or any of that. Theoreticians can debate for years about why Charlie Parker was the greatest musician of the 20th century, but anyone who listens to him already knows what is most important: his music works. It speaks and resonates. It lingers and pulls us in and pulls us back.

That's all that matters. Education doesn't help you build music that works.

It's like Louis Prima said: I read a little bit, but not enough to hurt me none.

Low cost studios will get amateur rappers constantly. They focus so much on emulating the flat sounds of modern rap that they suffer as a whole and don't even consider learning theory to improve their tone or beats.

i can apply music theory to farts, fwiw. not an argument one way or another, just thought i'd share.

>low cost studio
thats a good point. the same could be said of the other genres there.

good gif no riff

give me one good Future song

That's the thing, those who make something that works, know how it works.
Parker studied for years in solitary on practicing and music theory, he practically wrote the beginning of jazz theory. It took years for Hindenmith to warm up to Bebop, even when he wrote with influence from the pop music of the time, there was hesistation in his composition. I can not say with certainty that he would enjoy music past his time, as the 60s jazz is what influences most of these artists and it takes a steep turn from swing and bebop before it. While he may have appreciated the idea of it it, I don't think he would have enjoyed it.

Rappers spend hours making beats, struggling all the way through for a 3 second loop.
Composers who make beats for them will do multiple tens of loops in the same time, and sell the rights to it at a ridiculous price because they took the time to know the theory and can breeze through it.
I can apply rocket science to theoretical farts, too, but that would be useless, just like applying theory in the same way. It's how you use it, not how you can wrongly use it.

>That's the thing, those who make something that works, know how it works.

I sincerely doubt Andre 3000 knows anything at all about music theory, or cares. It would just interrupt the natural flow.

>Always present
Didn't say it was new.

He actually has a background in jazz. Might not be vast, but it's enough that he's built off it in his later years.

that was my original question, are you aware of any new genres?

>Learned everything about music from listening and studying rap/hiphop

He was influenced, obviously. But educated?

Nah. He just knows when something is funky.

Future's composers are the only talent in his works, I should have clarified that.
Future himself is an autotuned dickwad.

New genres are hard to classify. They always start as an extension of a parent genre and don't grow into their own until a number of years later. I don't know of any promising emerging genres, so if you're looking for that I would look for fusion music, a broad genre made up of a ton of unnamed subgenres.

Music theory is overrated when it comes to composition. It surely can help, but if you have shit taste and no originality, your composition will still sound like shit.

Before getting into the business, he played jazz sax and intermediate violin. He studied music theory in high school before he got signed after graduation.
His knowledge started basic, but he knew enough to build on it.