What's the appeal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eI2-8I3j4Vg
youtube.com/watch?v=IZi4bm_LS6g
youtube.com/watch?v=OYHayc_mcsw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

none
Funeralopolis is great though

It's the best album of its genre together with Dopesmoker and Come My Fanatics...

A decent modern take on traditional doom metal that moved away from more contemporary notions of sludge.

An album that is so heavy and thick with vocals that don't make you cringe.

It bangs

>with vocals that don't make you cringe
how to spot a pleb #101

DUDE

This and Busse Woods are the GOAT of their genre

Which is very niche, if you don't like it, you don't like it

WEED

Super heavy, great riffs, great vocals, great productions
But it's so talked about here that some people who hage absolutely no knowledge on metal try to listen to it
This isn't entry level, of course it's gonna give you a headache if you haven't listened to a lot of metal before

For me, personally, it's because it's just really fucken heavy. Like balls to the wall, feel the bass ride through your bloodstream kinda shit. I do however prefer some of their other stuff. I've been listening to Black Masses a lot lately.

>This isn't entry level

Not entry level metal that's for sure
Maybe entry level stoner

It's defo not entry level, mate.. maybe here on Sup Forums, but you go into a fucking JB Hifi and say "Electric Wizard", they'll probably point you to the kitchenware.

even fucking Pink Floyd isn't entry-level in the eyes of most normies
this is not a valid argument
It's by far one of the most entry-level metal albums though

DUDE

"No"

Traditionnal heavy metal is entry level
NWOHBM is entry level
Glam is entry level
Power is entry level
Nu metal is (shitty) entry level

Stoner isn't

stop embarrassing yourself thinking you listen to deep "inaccessible" shit mate
Everyone in the metal sphere knows about Electric Wizard
Dopesmoker almost have 2 million views on Youtube which is a lot for a doom metal album, and is overall highly regarded by your average metal fan, and outside of the metal sphere too
it may not be as entry-level as buttpower ala Sabaton, but it's definitely high up there

>Everyone in the metal sphere knows about Electric Wizard

Yeah, sure, if you frequent Saint Vitus in fucking Williamsburg every weekend. I saw them at Hellfest a few years ago.. their tent was tiny, and nowhere near full.

I love your enthusiasm, but you're really overstating the popularity of stoner/doom.. I wish I was wrong, but I'm really not.

I don't think I listen to deep inaccessible stuff, but I don't want people listening to this as their first metal album, cause they won't like it, they will generalize the whole genre of metal and then they'll make those retarded "metal is not even music" threads

meant Dopethrone fuck
>and then they'll make those retarded "metal is not even music" threads
Yeah that would be great but it's their loss if they generalize an entire genre as vast as metal

Our loss too, a genre needs fans to survive

>Yeah that would be great but it's their loss if they generalize an entire genre as vast as metal
Which is exactly why this album, or even genre isn't entry level. You can't take someone whose hardest record is In Utero, and then throw Sleep, or Windhand at them.. it doesn't work like that.

And from experience.... never start with ISIS...

>And from experience.... never start with ISIS...
why not?

My GF is Jewish, and she got really shitty that I wore one of their shirts (she was having a bad day, and was just angry), so I put one of their albums on. Celestial was a bad choice. She doesn't mind most of my stuff, but - I don't know if you've ever listened to it - Celestial is easily one of ISIS' heaviest records, and straddles the line of industrial quite a bit. I've not put them on since.

lol, that's pretty funny.
But yeah, I can understand how ISIS can be kinda hard to digest for non-metal fans. It took me a while to appreciate Panopticon but it is now one of my favorite metal albums.

She loves me much less when I run around naked waving my dick in her face, pretending to be Borat haha.

Panopticon and Oceanic are my equal favourites for pole position. Wavering Radiant gets overlooked, it's one of their best. Temporal the B-sides and demo disc they released a few years ago is great, one of my favourite ISIS songs on there.

youtube.com/watch?v=eI2-8I3j4Vg

Oceanic is great too. I need to get into their post-Panopticon albums

It's very catchy doom metal, the riffs and melodies are accessible enough without compromising heaviness or texture. one of my favorite albums.

Can you recommend me some Pentagram -esque bands? Doomy and groovy, not the "play the same riff 100 times as slowly as possible" kinda doom.

youtube.com/watch?v=IZi4bm_LS6g

Can't beat the classics, though.

hahahah dude just smok some weed dude haha lol

shitty mix on almost every one of their albums makes them unlistenable without colossal amounts of bongs in your bloodstream

maybe try Sumac next time
I heard they have clean vocals

Holy Mountian-era Sleep
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Akuma no Uta by Boris

dopesmoker

>catchy
>doom metal

is this what this board has become??? people just describe shit as catchy??? holy fuck what happened to this place

i find it catchy in terms of doom metal. that's why it's entry level doom.

at least try to have some level of reading comprehension.

For me it's the thickness, din, and crashing symbals. I like the vocals too, but it's not the best trait.

It's a classic, but I wonder how heavy it really is, or if the artificially loud mix just makes it seem heavier.

I love Electric Wizard, but my main problem is that so many Sup Forumstants I've encountered have called it the heaviest album of all time when it clearly isn't.

>electric wizard

I got my ex-gf to listen to In the Absence of Truth she really liked it.

If you're going to introduce a metal band to a girl, I'd say don't go deep, start with their most accessible "radio friendly"

would you mind giving examples of what you consider heavier? within the metal genre

Sunn O)))?

heh, give some examples of non-nu-male metal?

everything is nu-male according to /meal/

No problemo
>Godflesh
>Earth
>Early Boris
>Some Melvins albums
>Dopesmoker
>Hell
>Bong
>Isis
>Neurosis
>Sissy Spacek
>Tetsuo
>Birushanah
>Amarok
>Corrupted
>High on Fire
>Pelican
>Sunn O)))
>Down
>Iron Monkey

celtic frost

Cool massive sound and great riffs

Bongripper - Hail Satan Worship Doom

it'll rock the foundation of your house.

>>High on Fire
>>Pelican
>>Down
Nah senpai. The rest we can kinda agree on.

That's like 90% of trad doom

you guys are aware there's metal that isn't hippie bong rock shite right?

Go on
>nb4 faggy pseudo-atmospheric -gaze shit

That's the track listing lad, the album is Satan Worshipping Doom, although you probably already knew that.

Nah he's just gonna post shitty war metal

Manowar sucks

all the band Wino is in brah
>Saint Vitus
>The Obsessed
>Spirit Caravan
>Place of Skulls
>The Hidden Hand
>his solo stuff
>and even Shrinebuilder
The Obsessed just came out with a new album, check it out
youtube.com/watch?v=OYHayc_mcsw

Count Raven
Witchfinder General
Pagan Altar
Candlemass
Cirith Ungol
Trouble
Sudden Death (proto-doom band)
Coven (another proto-doom band)
Reverend Bizarre
Cathedral
Internal Void
Solomon Kane
Beastmaker
Brigantia
Lord Vicar
Briton Rites
Paul Chain
Cauchemar
Argus
Bedemon
Minotauri
Scald
Khemmis
Pallbearer
Orchid
Wretch
Krux
Druid
Dirtwolf
Blood Ceremony
Asteroid
Mistreated (while not label doom metal, they do have a sound similar to Pentagram's)
and you can listen to Death Row's stuff because they were the early Pentagram before the name change

Earthride
Zoroaster
YOB
Acid King
1000mods
Windhand
Monolord
Cabeza De Caballo
Minotaur Head
Conan
Black Tomb
Moss
Black Pyramid
Troll
Elephant Tree
Black Rainbows
Graves at Sea
Bell Witch
Church of Misery
Green Yeti
Vokonis
Stoned Jesus
Cough
Goatsnake
Weedeater
Weedruid
Belzebong
Bongzilla
Bongripper Graveyard Dirt (they got a hint of death metal to them)

if you dig the bluesy side to doom then both Earthless and Geezer will do

great answer