What's even the difference between Grunge, Punk and Hard Rock?

What's even the difference between Grunge, Punk and Hard Rock?

Grunge doesn't exist, and punk is just hard rock with more estrogen.

>"estrogen
>testosterone
>alpha
>beta
>nu-male
>cuck
>chad
>orbiter"

The abortion of our primal mother a great blunder.

autistic, more autistic and beyond help

Tbh if we're talking about musical differences

>Grunge
Very similar to punk (when talking about the riffs; very power chord heavy) but with hints of sludge and stoner rock

>Punk
Drums are almost always playing 8th notes on the hi-hats to give an "energetic" feel. Almost all power chords

>Hard Rock
I feel like "Hard Rock" is a very broad genre desu ...there are so many bands that are given the title of "hard rock" (looked it up and it ranges from Led Zeppelin to Guns N' Roses to even Iron Maiden lmao)

I didn't mean it in a derogative way.

>grunge doesn't exist
Explain?

>10:35:50
Grunge is more like a time and place than a genre. Basically any alt-rock band from the 90s is lumped into grunge whether they sound grungy or not.
For example, Nirvana is grungy and is considered grunge.
Smashing pumpkins doesn't sound grungy but is from the same era so they are considered grunge.

One produced the worst subgenre of the last decade (post-grunge), one I will usually shut off encountered, and the other has the potential to be anything from corporate wannabe cool shlock to greatest of all time level.

Eh...don't really see this. It's it's got sludgy guitars, gravelly vocals and dour lyrics it's probably grunge. Sounds like a genre to me. The only reason I'd say it's more of a scene is because apparently anything after Cobain is disqualified from using the label. Dumb but I don't make the """rules""".

It might just be me, but I used to get annoyed when bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins were called grunge. I thought that grunge was just a shitty label put on all of the Nirvana ripoff bands. Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins seemed too produced, Alice in Chains seemed too heavy, etc. I eventually realized that it was much less about the sound, even though they all use sludgy guitars. It was much more about the time period (90s), the place (the west coast) and the style of clothes. Whenever a new band calls themselves 'grunge', they are probably just bad.
As for Punk, I see it more as a mentality. Fuck the government or whatever.
Hard rock is just rock that is hard but not metal (usually). It's a pretty broad genre.

Are you okay user?

is radiohead grunge

Estrogen and testosterone aren't just buzzwords though

Smashing pumpkins are only considered grunge by either:
1. People than havent listened to grunge other than basic shit like nirvana and pearl jam
2. People that havent listened to smashing pumpkins other than zero or cherub rock
3. People that their rock subgeneres knowledge start and end in punk,metal, hard, grunge and MAYBE alternative

Its kinda like how many people calls television punk

And sure they might have been the same movement or social group, but they sure as hell werent punk, or with SP case, grunge

Pablo honey is

Even the Bends is. That album is the same style as Pablo honey, just better.

>looked it up and it ranges from Led Zeppelin to Guns N' Roses to even Iron Maiden lmao
Is there a substantial musical difference between hard rock and heavy metal anyway?

Most Punk sounds like 50s and very early 60s Rock and Roll played with early 70s instruments and meaner attitude. The best thing about U.S. punk (long after CBGB Bands) was that it stayed underground for so long.

Kinda, its pretty subtle but its there
Main differences are that hard rock, like rock, is still deeply rooted in blues and it shows, while most metal, other than very early acts like black sabbath, are done with blues as a founding base
Also there a clear thematic and lyrical difference, metal started introduccing fantastical, religius and historical themes on their song, stuff that in hard rock then was pretty afar, depression was also put in the map while hard rock was much more happy and entertaining
Thats my take on in at least

At this point, there's not too much difference because of all the extremes to which every genre has been pushed. Even though they are similar, sums it up pretty well.

I thought that grunge is a musical genre with clear and defining characteristics, but you portray it more as an optional label for 90s bands

It's not really that. There are definite defining characteristics, just many 90s bands that don't necessarily 'sound like grunge' are portrayed like they are because of the era or the way they dressed or whatever.

70 80 90

Punk is born of Prog Rock

Hard Rock is a bit of an amalgamation of the two

Grunge was to my best knowledge, born out of an opium saturated drug market in east North America

Grunge claimed authenticity by mocking Hard Rock's penchant for glamour and theatrics and being closer to Punk. It did end up having a lot in common with some Prog quite often.

>in east Nor
NEWS just in West North America

>Punk is born of Prog Rock

>Grunge claimed authenticity by mocking Hard Rock's penchant for glamour and theatrics and being closer to Punk.

Yeah, but what differentiates it from Punk, then? They both featured a raw, unpolished guitar sound, heavy drumming and displeased lyrics

>grunge
Bad
>hard rock
Really bad
>punk
Good

bery helpful tank

Speaking of which, what's the difference between punk and metal, then?

Afaik, in punk you have multiple raw-sounding guitars, while metal is characterized by guitar and bass performing the same melody.

"I Hate Pink Floyd" and all that?

Metal came first and was way more of a slow underground burn

>grunge
doesn't exist
>punk
dirty rock and roll
>hard rock
shitty pre-metal or later pseudometal rock bands

>Drums are almost always playing 8th notes on the hi-hats
most rock beats play eighth notes tho.

Grunge music is usually personal self deprecation with refrences to dark themes and sometimes violence

Punk is similar in a way, but Punk is more political and the lyrics matter more in Punk music then the instrumental itself.

grunge and alternative are the same. think of all the grunge bands and compare them to any late 80s indie bands and tell me the stylistic differences.

No, just like not hearing it at all. Glam rock I can get, since Roxy Music and early 70s Bowie straddle the line between both. Oh and they're obviously not glam but also The Doors.

Im gonna say that the main differences are vocal and tempo
Punk in a way always prided itself in being faster than mainstream music, while grunge speed fluctuate alot not only between songs but even in a sigle song there where different speeds, generally changing in the chorus and verses
The voice in grunge is very melodical, it often mark the tone and tempo of the song, while in punk it isnt really important other thani choruses

Metal as it progressed, was always getting more complex and "progressive" , as early as black sabbath there was already multiple guitars doing different melodies, like in the war pigs solo
Punk always boasted its simplicity, guitars doing simple power chord progressions, very short solos if any, short songs etc. It was also a very politicaly charged movement while metal isnt

I doubt that

grunge is more post-punk. the fall is complete proto-grunge

>doubt that
>posts No Doubt

what did he mean by this?

i thought gwen stefani was hot but in this picture i realize i just want to break her bones for fun

>tell me the stylistic differences
incorporation of sludge along with noise with pop-like melodies