Blackstar

Now that the dust has settled what are your thoughts on it?

The dust has settled for over a year now, user.

It's overrated.

There's already a thread
it

It's pretty good but Bowie's death made it nearly impossible for people to judge it fairly. Maybe in a few more years it'll be easier for the fans to realize it wasn't as great as they thought.

I mean his death was what its about. That will never be separated from the album.
I still like it. 9/10

>As usual with Bowie, Blackstar (RCA, 2016), produced again by Tony Visconti,, is mostly image and very little about the music. The ten-minute Blackstar, that was supposed to be the centerpiece, is little more than a funereal litany a` la Doors with jazz horns that goes on five minutes too many. Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus (from his Broadway musical about an alien who falls in love) or romantic in Dollar Days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining. His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single). Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius. This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.

Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

Overrated good music, unlike the wife killer's garbage excuse for an album.

Wtf i hate scaruffi now

>I mean his death was what its about. That will never be separated from the album.

I get it. Him writing about his death and then dying makes it just fit all together nicely. But, what if he didn't die yet and fought off the cancer, would it have the same status in people's eyes?

No, but it would still be a good album. The context surrounding the album most definitely affects it, that's always been the case.

He already had fought cancer, he wrote the album because he was terminal

>tfw this thread got more replies than the thread I made before it

BOWIE DIED OF CANCER JANUARY 2016

His second greatest record behind Low, and the best record of 2016.

This is the logical conclusion to music.

people loved it when it was leaked. your argument has been said a million times and it's retarded each time it's said

Favorite album in Bowie's discography overall and favorite album of 2016 hands down.

Bowie is arguably the most overrated artist of all time.

More overrated than Pink Floyd?

That'd be The Beatles followed by Kendrick Lamar followed by Pink Floyd then followed by Sonic Youth.

That title goes to Elvis, The Beatles, etc

My problem with it is there isn't as much going on as there should be sonically. Seems barren at times.

solid 7

Of all time? No. He does have a fair amount of crap albums but his best music is some of the best music ever made. He's the definition of an avant-garde artist.

Nobody like you, and nobody likes your threads. Stop going here.

Who hurt you, user?

[spoiler]myself[/spoiler]

It's okay user, I forgive you - don't be too hard on yourself

Nice dubs, by the way

Same to you. Also nice dubs yourself.

I dont get it???

This is now a dubs thread

Celebrate. Pic related.

honestly relistening for the first time in months, its still as good as the first time

His best album

I think the death is what made the album special. Songs like "I cant give everything away" wouldnt be the same if he had never died.

You are inarguably the most retarded poster of all time

Lodger is his best album. You not might agree but Ive never heard anything close to what Lodger sounds like (with the exception of Iggy Pop's The Idiot, which Bowie helped produce and songs from that album were sampled and covered in Lodger)