I got into Cambridge University AMA

I got into Cambridge University AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Harvard or Yale?

Do like buttered toast?

Congrats, Kek is pleased

Congratulations on Cambridge and also on the toast.

Are you black?

If I could study at either I would like to study at Harvard. I'll apply for a law master's at Harvard as well as Oxford at the end of my undergraduate degree. I'll also see if I can get a Kennedy Scholarship.

I hear that Yale is better than Harvard for law, but really I'm unhealthily obsessed with prestige. I'd like to say 'I went to Harvard'. Harvard seems more popular with top UK law firms anyway. I've seen plenty of Harvard LLMs but no Yale

I do, though I have made do with unbuttered toast on occasion when I was in a rush

What a levels did you do (assuming you did them)?
What college?
What unusual interview questions?

Nope, white

BUTTERED TOAST RULES ALL!

Congratulations on the offer.

Which college*?

Conditional offer?

*[Usonians: Cambridge University is a collegiate university, i.e. there are multiple semi-independent "schools" (colleges) which comprise the larger organisation (university).]

>What a levels did you do (assuming you did them)?
English Literature, History, Government & Politics, and a BTEC in Applied Law.

>What college?
In order to answer your next question I shouldn't reveal my college. I'm not really meant to talk about the interview. It's not Trinity or King's though.

>What unusual interview questions?
No unusual questions. Nothing like the horror stories in the papers. First talked about my personal statement. Then we talked about a case study that I had to read prior.

In my second interview it was really like a debate and free-flowing conversation. It wasn't an unusual question, just difficult, but moreso because for a while I couldn't work out what the interviewer was actually asking.

I came here for buttered toast

Conditional on A*AA

Shouldn't reveal the college. It's not one of the main or famous ones though. But neither is it one of the shitty modern ones like Churchill.

>English Literature, History, Government & Politics, and a BTEC in Applied Law

Nice meme courses. Also a BTEC, Top Fucking Kek.

> I'm not really meant to talk about the interview

Fucking faggot, you're not applying for MI5, just fucking tell us.

Where's Cambridge university?

I'm already identifiable to the university based on my unusual A-level subject combination. If an user wanted to rat me out I could lose my offer. Which is why I won't talk about details of the interview.

For your law statement did you have to prove that you read widely about and around the subject?
Did you have to convince them your passion for law?

Did your subject interview involve talking about privacy by any chance?

Ikr. Just goes to show that maybe BTECs aren't all bad. They were interested in learning more about the BTEC from me.

My offer is conditional on the A-level grades only though.

My law statement was chock-full of wider reading. I'd read and commented on a book, an academic article, done Trinity College's law essay competition, done work experience in the Citizens Advice Bureau, etc. So I really did show my enthusiasm.

I think it was also beneficial that I was able to express my passion in the interview

[At one point I accidentally used the word 'passionate', just blurted it out. Didn't seem to hinder me]

>Conditional on A*AA

Expect to get that or better?

>Shouldn't reveal the college.

Even if you weren't anonymous, why not? What are the adverse consequences?

Are you gay or do you plan to convert?

I live in a third world country, do I stand a chance to get into this university?

Nope

Thank goodness too, I wouldn't have been any good at it because privacy is to do with ethics and that's not where my best strengths lie

pretty high

Super duper

They did in mine. Was your first int on 5th Dec?

>Expect to get that or better?
Idk. For my AS I got AAB + Distinction*. This time last year I was doing 3 hours revision a day, now I'm doing less than 1 hour on average. So 50/50 chance I'll get it I'd say.

>Even if you weren't anonymous, why not? What are the adverse consequences?
I would have been happy to reveal my college had the other user not asked me about the interview, which really I shouldn't talk about. Giving my college makes me easily identifiable.

>I live in a third world country, do I stand a chance to get into this university?
The only thing that matters is your academic ability. Thankfully British universities are sane unlike American ones. They don't care about your ethnicity/sex/nationality/whatever, only your academic ability.

are you mental? 55% of Cambs students are foreign. The uni can charge them £27k per year rather than the capped £9k per home student.

There's defo bias.

Yep that's when my interview was. What college were you at? And did you get an offer?

I guess different colleges use different cases then. Because mine wasn't on privacy

Do you ever feel nervous or pressure from trying to perform to a high standard? If so do you think it gets easier as you learn the skills for academia?

Wolfson. No, my rejection letter is sitting next to me. I'm on the Access to Law course at the moment. Needed 45 D = A*A*A*. Was predicted it, but I just don't think I sold myself enough during the interviews.

>55% of Cambs students are foreign.
>'Just over 11 per cent of our undergraduates (around 1,300 students) are from overseas'

Source: undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students

Maybe it's different for postgrad

How difficult is access law? Are all the modules about law?

yeah. It's split into two. Tort and Criminal law. Quite heavy going. Sat a negligence exam today. Had to remember 20 cases. Went well.

>Do you ever feel nervous or pressure from trying to perform to a high standard?
Not really. Whether that's because it doesn't take a whole load of desperate cramming to do well for me, or because I psychologically don't have the issues with a need to succeed that some other students have, I'm not sure.

Maybe I just don't realise that I feel the need to succeed. Then again, never after getting a bad grade have I gone 'I'm so shit and worthless'.

Maybe it'll change at undergrad if I find myself suddenly average

Did you go to a private school like Eton or Harrow?

Well done. You do much super curricular shit to help get in or just wider reading and the like?

Nah shitty state sixth form college that mainly does hairdressing and construction and has an A-level department on the side.

Super curricular as in stuff done outside of class related to my degree subject choice? Tonnes. See Cambridge doesn't care about extra curriculars not related to the course, although I did mention them for other unis who do. Though I haven't done much, just raised some money for charity and did this youth council thing. Didn't even mention my (pitiful) sporting achievements.

>Idk. For my AS I got AAB + Distinction*. This time last year I was doing 3 hours revision a day, now I'm doing less than 1 hour on average. So 50/50 chance I'll get it I'd say.

Best of luck. Revision is a cruel and unusual punishment. I trust you already got good advice on getting sleep before and during the exams and not trying to crowd your short-term memory.

Life is still worth living even if you don't get the place. I needed AAA to read Natural Sciences (physics) at Trinity and ended up getting ABC for physics, chemistry and maths. I think they burned my further maths paper and no-one cared about AS levels. I went through clearing and ended up at Birmingham, got B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc. and got through my first year of Ph.D. in particle physics in London before life got differently interesting. Now I live well in a big house in the U. S. of fuckin' A. with a hot wife and get good money playing with computers.

>Giving my college makes me easily identifiable.

..to all the dons browsing Sup Forums. You know they are the top shitposters.

>I'm unhealthily obsessed with prestige.
have you thought about why?

How many hours reading on average should I commit to an essay for distinction? I heard 7-8 before.
And roughly how many sources do you reference

what part of the UK op?

Congrats bro

An essay of around 1200 words

I read all day every day. I have English Legal System by Gary Slapper, Unlocking Tort and Unlocking Criminal Law.

I have 15 Distinctions so far. I don't reference a lot, but use cases, cases, cases.

For example, when talking about neg, don't hang around with donoghue v stevenson. move on to caparo v dickman and how the 3 part test for duty of care superseded the 2 part test from Anns. Basically, go fucking balls deep

I commit at least 5 hours of reading for an essay.

I wish I knew.

Maybe it's because I'm using my university to define my worth because I have nothing else to determine my worth with? I have no other accomplishments and nothing else I really do with my life

> I trust you already got good advice on getting sleep before and during the exams and not trying to crowd your short-term memory.
Honestly I'm so bad for sleep. I get about 3 hours a night. The night before my interview I think I got 1 and a half hours, not because I was nervous and couldn't sleep but because I just don't sleep. I mostly revise in the very late hours (up to 4 AM)

lagos, nigeria

Essex

I'd suggest Yale my friend. Maybe associate yourself with some bonesmen.

>got into cambridge

>posts on Sup Forums

Yeah sure kid. And im the fucking pope

LOOK IT UP

Honestly it's true

In Massachusetts, America

Nice quads

Have your family and friends latched onto the prestige as well. My mother definitely would to boost her ego

Is this bait?

Those aren't quads you nigger

Nah I care about 1000x more. And it's gonna sound stupid, but I'm not even satisfied with Cambridge because Oxford is more prestigious with Americans (who are 90% of the people I talk to) and is more prominent in popular culture. That's the main reason why I want to do a master's there.

Fancy that, got into Cambridge and still not happy. What can I do to free myself from this slavery to prestige?

get out newfag
i prey to kek that this is bait

Congratulations OP. Hope I get into USC.

I'm sure you will. What will you major in?

ECE. Odds are pretty low but I'm counting on my SOPs and Recommendations.

This is a reply written to a question on Quora from a guy feeling obsessed with his Harvard degree to the extent it held his ego hostage. Might resonate maybe?
This may sound counterintuitive, but my guess is that you probably have the opposite problem than you think you have. I have a feeling that you actually have relatively low self-esteem, which evidences itself by attaching unwarranted importance to the reputation of a school you attended for a couple of years.

The vast majority of people I know with HYPCSM degrees actually think very little of it, to the extent that it recedes so far into the background that it is almost forgotten unless the topic comes up in conversation.

So to answer your question, I'd suggest that you work on feeling better about yourself, which you can do by focusing on legitimate accomplishments that you honestly worked hard to achieve...as opposed to things like schools, money, good looks, famous acquaintances, press coverage, etc.

>Are you gay or do you plan to convert?
I'm bi

Hypscm - Harvard Yale Princeton etc etc

Thanks for the reply

The logic seems sound enough. It's just that 'feeling better about myself' is such a monumental task. At the moment the only thing I have to base my self-worth on is the university I attend. The only other thing was my reputation and involvement in an online video game, but that's shut down now so educational attainment is all I have.

I guess I do feel a lot of pressure. In a lot of ways it would be a relief to not meet my grades and instead stay at home doing nothing.

I know all of them except the 'c'. Is that UC Berkeley?

I thought caltech

>law
Pffft, why didn't you join the STEM master race? Don't you know how competitive law is?

Ah yes, makes sense

I'm sure OP will do fine with a Cambridge law degree

STEM at a shit uni < Law at a prestigious university like Cambridge

I used to be in your position, however I was hell-bent on getting into Cambridge for the prestige and confidence I beloved it would give me. I ended up deliberately sabotaging my application by the final hurdle by submitting two subpar essays. I must have done it unconsciously, because in truth I would have been very unhappy in that high pressure academic environment for 3-4 years. That was 4 years ago and no regrets, although the prestige still remains seductive. I think I'll do an ou degree instead.
You sound young and still not sure of who you are in the world yet. This will come eventually and with time you will not need external sources to feel good about yourself

Forgot to add, you can be proud of yourself already for making it this far, that indicates some potential

>You sound young and still not sure of who you are in the world yet. This will come eventually and with time you will not need external sources to feel good about yourself

I very much look forward to that day. And yet I think of adults who are eternally unfulfilled... What if I never feel good about myself without needing external validation? Surely it won't just suddenly happen?

This is a very good point I think. When I made my applications I didn't even think I'd get into UCL, let alone Cambridge. Yet, suddenly now Cambridge isn't good enough. I really should keep in mind how bad things could really be. I suppose I shouldn't take Cambridge for granted yet either: I still have to meet the conditions of the offer.

Should I go to Durham or LSE for law? I like Durham more but LSE offers better prospects.

I would go to Durham. Besides, Durham law grads have a proven track record of being more successful than LSE.

Did your school push you into applying?

It won't just suddenly happen, more like a work in progress. That is if you make a choice, and stick to it. It's hard and in my opiniom human nature to seek reinforcement externally. The brain doesn't finish maturing until the age of ~25 especially around the limbic (fear) system. One day you might be able to look back with more objectivity. It's hard to explain but eventually you can grow out of it. I myself am just 28 and the world looks a lot different than did when younger

What do you consider to be a prestigious university. One in the top 20s or just brand recognition?

Brand recognition and success of graduates. League tables don't matter.

Prestigious universities in the UK for law that are better than STEM from a shit uni are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, etc.

Nah, in fact I was quite timid about even asking if I could apply.

Why didn't you get into Caltech brainlet?

I don't think anyone seriously believes that Caltech is better than Cambridge University (except Caltech students)

Several reasons:

1. I want to study law
2. I want to study a qualifying law degree for undergraduate
3. I want to study English law
4. Cambridge > Caltech

The same could be said about Cambridge

You know what, I can respect that

I do have a bunch of doubts about law though. If it weren't for one shitty work experience placement as a school lab technician I would be on the STEM field right now instead of law. I do doubt myself. I try to justify the importance of law. I don't know if I'm convincing myself.

>The same could be said about Cambridge
Caltech may have a better reputation in the US, but I do believe that objectively, Cambridge is more of an academic powerhouse than Caltech.

What did you have for breakfast?