Did your language sound different as spoken on TV/in the movies some 50 years ago?

Did your language sound different as spoken on TV/in the movies some 50 years ago?
In the US we had something called Mid-Atlantic accent. It is not an actual accent it is a received pronunciation that was meant to be a neutral sounding accent, half way between BrE and AmE. For example: youtube.com/watch?v=Gpv_IkO_ZBU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nH2DKZ-2m74
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes. It still does in villages and some remote parts. When I came to Moscow I was surprised they don't know some words.

RP.

Isn't AmE the same thing as 1700 standard BrE

>Mid-Atlantic accent
worst accent, i still "pity" the people i know with confused english/yank accents, it sounds dreadful

No, but for Argentines, Argentine accent is only acceptable on Argentines. We cant watch an American movie or cartoon dubbed with Argentine accent because it is immersion breaking, as in, Julia Roberts isnt Argentinian, the voice actor shouldnt have Argentine accent.
All the movies are dubbed in Mexico and Colombia with an accent that is considered more or less neutral in Latin America.
Most movies are Subtitled, but movies for kids like those of Disney or Pixar are all dubbed.

Also, Argentines pronounce ll and Y as either the S in Measure or the SH of English (in proper Spanish the ll is like the li in Million, and the Y like the Y of English, as in Yellow), the SH pronounciation is considered low class.

Mid-Atlantic accent was aesthetic as fuck. And I'm English.

youtube.com/watch?v=nH2DKZ-2m74

no, this is a stupid meme

americans think that because their accents are rhotic and most modern british accents arent that their accents are like old british accents when old british accents are like current west country/cornish accents

New England accent came from Brits of the time you retard. After we revolted, there was a push to differentiate.

This
Mid Atlantic was the objectively best accent

Yes. Bolivians and other shitskin immigrants ruined our accent, modern generations talk like subhumans.

To hear the accurate argentinian accent you must watch something of the 70s-80s.

Les Luthiers sound great, though.

The closest european english accent would be probably Irish. Not sure if everywhere in Ireland but I heard the Dublin accent and I think it resembles the american accent the most. I am sure i could pass as a local there since I am 25% irish so I am basically irish.

Yes, everything was spoken with Stockholm accent then, more neutral now.

So when exactly did you star pronouncing j as sh? Is it a BsAs thing or it is a country wide phenomena?

So the accent as spoken in the capital is not considered neutral?

It's in all the country (except the northern provinces) and also in Uruguay

Aren't the simpsons dubbed in Mexico? That's what is broadcast in Argentina as well? Or you watch the original version with subtitles?

No, the same goes for the US. Your "neutral accent" is from Des Moines, Iowa. Nowadays people speak their regional accent on TV, newscasters have a neutral accent.

such a great accent
RIP

pleb

>Des Moines, Iowa
lmao, maybe people in DM think that but i'd say it is not THAT precise. i'd say it a neutral accent is a midwestern accent in general.

Kill yourself
Midatlantic english is the best sounding english in history

I'm from midwest US and people say all the time that it's *the* accent-less English accent. I'm not sure what that means though, cause aren't accents all relative anyway?

That's a fact though, your news presenters are trained to sound like they're from Des Moines

Excellent b8

It's the truth though. West Country = Bristol = the largest port trading with the Americas, with heavy admixtures of Scots, Irish, northern English, etc.

Read Ben Franklin's autobio; he was proud of his Nottingham roots and went back there.