/jazz/

Figured we should have one of these threads again. Any particular releases, compositions, performances, or artists you've been enjoying in general lately? Any particular style or era?
Pic related for me.

Anyone seen the decade jazz charts that were made recently? Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IFQ8j4MdWug
www62.zippyshare.com/v/OMtlynbH/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ziq49BHfZQk
homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/seahorse
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8
youtube.com/watch?v=XrHGecAW44g
bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08md8wj
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
youtu.be/ioetev-aw4c
youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk
youtube.com/watch?v=9yYlofKlliE
youtube.com/watch?v=-CT8g5Ia21w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

been enjoying this today youtube.com/watch?v=IFQ8j4MdWug Eric Dolphy

Nice! I do love myself a bit of Dolphy.

Jimmy Giuffre- Tangents in Jazz (1956)
>cool jazz, third stream

www62.zippyshare.com/v/OMtlynbH/file.html

sample: youtube.com/watch?v=ziq49BHfZQk

Anyone heard the new Chris Potter? Just saw it there on slsk and I'm downloading atm. Didn't think it was out till later in the month though!

Any particular releases, compositions, performances, or artists you've been enjoying in general lately? Any particular style or era?
I recently relistened to Sun Ra's Atlantis. I think I must have been like, 16 the last time I heard it and my tastes have changed a lot since then. One or two tracks like Lemuria, the "Saturn" version of Yucatan parts of the title track and Sup Forums were really good. Lemuria and Mu are kinda like Monk playing funk or something. Really jagged and minimalist, but there's a reasonably recognisable fusion influence on them rhythmically and melodically. In a piece as long as Atlantis, unless you have a particularly uninspired ensemble, there's bound to be something good and a lot of the noisy keyboard freakouts are actually pretty enjoyable. A lot of the rest was fucking awful though (both on Atlantis and the other tracks). Rain on a tin roof-tier percussion, awful fidelity (especially for the time it was recorded) and poor note choices that result in very corny sounding melodies. There are plenty of very major intervals in the middle of free pieces that feel like they've been played without much thought as to the effect they're gonna have. There is a way to use consonance as powerful tool in free jazz, but here it just sounds like it's a byproduct of hitting random keys rather than some thoughtful tension releasing device or something.
>Anyone seen the decade jazz charts that were made recently? Thoughts?
Could have been better. Could have been worse. I've gotten some nice albums off them so I'm happy.

I've been trying to switch to spotify premium ever since my external hd crashed and i got a new phone with limited space but the holes in their catalog really piss me off sometimes.

It's no way to build a solid digital music collection. I've got a physical one too, but sometimes it's nice to just pull up something out of my backlog instantly and play it on the drive to work, you know?

Plus I'm trying to build up a giant playlist of songs i can just throw on shuffle while working since I'm not always into my other music or the local jazz or npr station.

Hank Mobley's "Workout" is supremely underrated.

In case anyone is wondering which charts op is talking about:

Thanks so much dude

thx brother
great charts

Bump

I never thought I could enjoy a jazz album with no bass player. I sure as hell enjoyed this, though. Bookmark it and give it a spin when you're in the mood for something chill and contemplative.

homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/seahorse

love this album, im not hugely in depth when it comes to jazz but i love miles Davies and john Coltrane as well

I also enjoyed the new Toufic Farroukh album as much as his previous one. If you like post-bop and the Afro-French jazz connection, check it out.
Don't bother with his pre-2010 stuff, though.

Someone needs to take Rabih Abou-Khalil aside and gently explain that you can't write jazz if you have no understanding of harmony.

Will do my man!

Jazz AOTY

fuck you if you don't like it

why is it always the guy who's heard at most 3 jazz albums this year who thinks he'a the ultimate authority on what the best jazz album of the year is

Why is it whenever jazz purists get confronted with something new that's actually good all they can do is shout NOT REAL JAZZ over and over

Do you need any more gasoline for that strawman? Cause I got a whole arsenal of comebacks for people who hate Pharoah Sanders we could fuck at him too.

Do you have download of this?

Literally nobody even said that

I like it a lot, but I kinda prefer the new Necks album.

What's your favorite jazz album of this year? I'm not the person you're responding to but I'm still getting into jazz and I'd like to know.

After a string of releases for the Clean Feed label, "Disappeared Behind the Sun" is the latest release by the nonet calling itself Angles 9. The band's horn section features trumpeter Magnus Broo, cornetist Goran Kajfes, alto and tenor saxophonist Martin Kuchen, trombonist Mats Leklint, and bari saxophonist Eirik Hegdal. The rhythm section consists of vibraphonist Mattias Stahl, pianist Alexander Zethson, bassist Johan Berthling, and drummer Andreas Werliin.

The five original compositions all take a similar approach, mixing simple melodies and rock-based grooves with bouts of free improvisation. The record opens ("Equality and Death") with an unaccompanied improvisation by Kuchen in which he vociferates with a stubbornly overblown sound, before the rest of the ensemble comes in with a driving vamp in 3 and a simple unison melody. The piece swells in volume and energy, and the horns create a chaotic effect as they solo together, but unfortunately the piece fails to develop much beyond that, as the rhythm section sticks obstinately to its repetitive groove.

The second track, "Ardror" unfolds in a similar manner, this time with a slow backbeat underscoring the gradual buildup of the horns. The arrangement of the horns is slightly more interesting than the opening track, but the rhythm section still holds on unimaginatively to their simple vamp. Luckily "Pacemaker" changes things up a bit with an engaging collage of horn noises to start the track, though after a minute of this they quickly transition into the groove- a slow shuffling funk- that defines most of the rest of the track.

The title track is the definite high point of the album- opening with a lovely melody that is harmonized nicely by the horns and then a duet section between Broo's trumpet and Zethson's piano which actually contains quite a bit of engaging interplay. Unfortunately the duet also brings into focus the rather odd piano sound; it sounds distant and out of tune- almost like live recordings of the famously out-of-tune piano from the Five Spot Cafe from the 50's. If it's an intentional choice, it's a strange one that doesn't add anything to the music. As the rest of the band comes in, the melody develops and builds nicely, and leads into some nice solos- first a nice vibes solo that inspires Werliin to get away from the groove somewhat on the drumset, then an impassioned alto solo from Kuchen where the band finally manages to leave the groove behind them completely. The closing track, "Love Flee Thy House" begins interestingly, with the band approximating a slow, anthemic melody (embellished nicely with bits of improvisation) but then morphs into the inevitable vamp. Luckily the rhythm section manages to move a bit beyond their vamp during an interesting trombone solo.

These compositions, and the band in general, show potential, but unfortunately they don't quite realize that potential on this recording. Simple melodies and basic rock grooves can make for an interesting approach to free jazz, but the rhythm section's stubborn adherence to the simple grooves and written vamps often holds the music back. The few times when the rhythm section abandons these written vamps and follows the soloist are the clear high points of the album.

Was just posting in that aoty thread funny enough. I'm I'm probs gonna go digging around more over Summer, but atm I'm more or less just looking at ECM albums and whatever I see Sup Forums talking about so there's probs more up to date people itt who could point you towards some good sheet that's out this year.

Tentatively, it's probs But I've only heard it the once.

not the guy you're asking but i've been going through jazzthreadguy's list and so far my favorite is craig taborn's

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

saved

>fuck you if you don't like it
It's this kind of attitude that makes me assume this is just more rockist trash

didn't even know he had a rym

nobody said its not jazz, its just not as good as you pretend it is homie

Don't fight, friends.

:(

i like all of these, 1960s needs one trane record with the alice, sanders, garrison, trane, and ali line up but other then that it checks out haha
still dont loooove this one. ignores all the great free jazz from the decade, the area where i think much more interesting stuff is happening from some of the older guys.
night train was one of only 4 cds i had in my car through all of high school. i can honestly say i can sing every solo on it. great record from a definitive trio, though not the most adventerous.

>ignores all the great free jazz from the decade

Such as what? Any recommendations?

i stand by this one dammit. also william parker has a new duo bass cd i love. whit dickey has a great record called vessels in orbit and matt shipp released piano song as well as 8 vols. of music with ivo perelman. its a good year for free jazz.

I feel like listening to Miles Davis. Give me any of his projects and i'll listen to it. Something more obscure, other than his most popular albums is also good.

Farmers by Nature. one of most important bands to form in the last ten years, i believe. this chart does have a david ware release but id argue matt shipps more recent contributions like the root of things have been stronger. enjoy!

What have you heard and liked by him so far?

dark magus and live at newport 58 and live in tokyo from 65 i believe. the tokyo one is the second great quintet but with sam rivers instead of wayne.

Wait weren't you just saying last night that you can't think of any odd time stuff that you liked? This album had all kinds of odd time straight eighth grooves on it. In fact the best parts of the album sounded like a watered down Chris Potter with Dave Holland.

>night train was one of only 4 cds i had in my car through all of high school.
what were the other 3?

I have heard Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, Water Babies and Doo-Wop and some songs off Live-Evil

Btw, congrats on getting to play with William Parker mang! That's fucking awesome.
Nice knowing jtg isn't the only professional musician posting here.

I haven't seen him post in a long time

As someone said in that other thread, I'd definitely second Filles de Kilimanjaro and Big Fun.

On the Corner is more well known, but also still great funky fusion.

Never knew jtg was a pro. What does he play?

Also shame the archive is fucked up so all his shares are gone.

and im not sure if i have liked any of the bigger tracks, because they're so long and i loose the hang of it. Also i've heard Miles in Tokyo and On The Corner and after I think of it i kinda wanna try Agharta. Is it good?

Agartha and Pangea are great live albums from that era.

I'm pretty sure he posts user.
Piano. He mostly does latin stuff iirc but he's put up some really nice recordings of himself doing some Bill Evansy type stuff too.
Also, check soulseek out mang. It's got a lot of jazz on it.

> Also, check soulseek out mang. It's got a lot of jazz on it.

My college blocked it last semester.

Can we talk about free jazz here?
youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8

Of course

That's tragic. The guy running the archive is still supposed to have a backup, but in the post I saw where he said that, he was also bitching about all the people on Sup Forums whining.

I'll be praying for you user. Hope it goes back up. Are you looking for anything in particular atm?

Not really. I'm open to anything I can get my hands on.

okay (jtg?), i guess its time for me to state my case on this record. ill start with ben is my mentor on pretty much all things so i would definitely call my opinion biased. his playing on odd meters is really all i can say i genuinely like and think grooves very hard and he solos with great fluidity (i havent listen to the dave holland record yet, someone dropped a bunch of archie shepp in my lap last night and ive been loving it). i will also say that this studio record does lack a lot of the energy he has when i see him live, which i see him every time he plays. ill say that if i were to post my bootlegs of him or if they made a live album based on their monthly residency then it would absolutely fuck you up. it is genuinely one of my favorite releases of this year but idk maybe im also just trying to recognize him as one of people i respect the most in the world or something. i love this record and bens playing forever, but again, im probably biased. sorry if that upsets you man, but hes given me a lot and made me like my own playing.
a love supreme, live at temple (trane), and mingus blues and roots. but when i got to college all i wanted to do is sound like ray brown.
jtg still posts as an user, im convinced i talk to him in almost every thread haha. he knows a looot. on william parker, thank you very very much man, i have only recently starting studying with him and during our last lesson he asked me to join his orchestra for bill dixons 90th birthday celebration in october. i hope i can still make it cause i will be over seas for a while around then but i will hopefully be able to fly back for it. i was so honored i could have cried.

>tfw Scott LaFaro didn't get to push Bill Evans into making a free jazz album with him
Why live?

considering to go there if work allows it
what do you think ?

...digits...and yeah, the avant garde is one of the more thriving traditions recently in my opinion.

That's cool. We all have biases. It just surprised me that you could like that Schacter record and not appreciate the Dave Holland Quintet. Or that you could like Schacter so much but not appreciate Chris's playing. To me they both definitely come out of the Brecker school of playing, with a lot of modern finished stuff but Schacter's def got a heavy dose of Trane in some of the things he does too.

thanks for understanding man, and like ive said, though i dont like the studio holland quintet music ive heard, i have alot of hope for this live record and will definitely check it out this week or earlier. i like a lot of chris's music though as ive said before, i only really really love it when he was playing at the vangaurd with paul motian. idk about brecker but ben is a trane nut, i mean hes like probably the leading source on trane that i can think of.

i should really start shedding but ill leave you all with this. ill be back later if this thread is still going or maybe start a new one.
youtube.com/watch?v=XrHGecAW44g

Do you know Ralph Bowen? He teaches at Rutgers and has a cool way of doing that Coltrane sound. His playing is less methodical than guys like Schacter or Potter, more stream of consciousness.

Thanks man. Glad to have you with us.

Hopefully we can make these threads a regular thing again.

looks kinda meh really

Ahmad Jamal and Herbie Hancock are worth seeing live just so you can say you did and Archie Shepp will probably be cool. Donny McCaslin are also good and Yaron Herman might be cool.

i do know ralph, hes good but im not super familiar.
thank you for having me haha, i was much more well liked as an user it seems maybe but i think im starting to find my footing. i plan to start running jazz generals soon, still thinking about the format but im almost there.

Cool cool. I look forward to it.

Should we do some shares in this thread or no? I'm thinking rare stuff like that isn't on any streaming or download services and went out of print ages ago is alright, right?

an empty bliss beyond this world is the only jazz album I've enjoyed so far 5also one of the few I've listened to)
I'm normally into metal
what albums have the sad contemplative vibe of aebbtw or the energy of metal?

oh yeah i would love to see some shares in the jazz threads, im just remarkably un tech savy so idk how that all works but im all for it. im unfortunately a benefactor of the retched spotify and then im most on vinyl otherwise so i dont have much to share.

Was digging around my old records and found this so gave it a spin. Shit fucking blew my mind, insanely tight sounding group, they play together so fucking well.

Spotify is alright for major label re-issues of stuff that was on Blue Note and Verve, but it's severely lacking a lot of things. Lots of partial discographies and missing music released by smaller labels that have since become defunct and missed the digital music boat.

is the jazz part any good?

agreed. the no ecm is a killer but i usually buy or find that stuff by other means.

not this shit again

Yeah the ECM thing is a huge shame.

I just wish there was a good way for me to get back into having a decent mp3 collection for stuff I want on the go. iTunes is way too clunky.

i've only seen it posted one time

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08md8wj

Latest episode of "Jazz Record Requests" on BBC Radio 3 Horace Parlan who died in February.

I never understood all the hate for iTunes. I have over 4000 albums in my library and it was too big for my hard drive so I got iTunes match and I never really have any problems with it. And I can access the entire library any time from my phone.

It's just slow as shit on my computer.

And I no longer have an iphone anymore so I don't really need it. I just haven't found a replacement.

anyone?

The Caretaker is really more ambient constructed out of old jazz samples. If you like that, you might like Jan Jelinek's Loop-finding-Jazz-Records which takes microscopic jazz samples and turns them into IDM. Or try The Pavilion of Dreams by Brian Eno and Harold Budd.

If you want something with crazy high energy, lots of improvisation and technical skill, and distortion, there's always free jazz. Here's a well known, but more extreme example:
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M

>Machine Gun
Wish I hadn't deleted that album.
At the time I was de-cluttering and couldn't think of a reason I'd ever want to return to it.
But now I realize it could be cathartic.

Quick question about jazz flute if anyone wants to field it.

At 2:40 in this Yusef Lateef song, mid flute solo, he begins vocalizing the notes he's playing as he plays them. Which isn't a big deal, a lot of jazz pianists do it. But my question is, are there any jazz flutists that vocalize while they play, but who actually vocalize notes different from the one they're playing? Like either something in harmony or even completely dissonant from what's coming out of the instrument?

youtu.be/ioetev-aw4c

thanks for your reply, I'll screencap it and listen to those as soon as I can
I like the distortion and the energy on what you linked me, but the improvisation might not be for me yet
you got anything with a little bit more structure?

youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk

this perhaps?
Free Jazz is fairly structure-less, though I'm certainly no expert on the genre, so I'll let someone else answer if they have a good suggestion that fits the bill.

I actually don't really like this one, less energy wich makes me focus on the "wonkyness" wich I can't really apreciate
Also bump cause genre related genrerals are cool

no problem
I hope you find what you're looking for

what the fuck do reviewers and people mean when they say shit is "quartal"? I read that all the time about jazz and have no idea what it means.

>you got anything with a little bit more structure?
you might like this
youtube.com/watch?v=9yYlofKlliE

Typically chords are built with the interval of a 3rd. Either major or minor 3rds. That's what's called tertiary harmony.

But when you build them with 4th's instead, it gives you a different sound and is called quartal harmony.

McCoy Tyner is usually the guy most associated with the quartal jazz sound, though now most pianists have incorporated that sound into their own playing.

It's also easy to play quartal chords on a guitar because the strings are tuned in fourths (except for one string)

I just listened to this youtube.com/watch?v=-CT8g5Ia21w

enjoy it

>It's also easy to play quartal chords on a guitar because the strings are tuned in fourths
You know, it's funny. For how convenient it is to just barre or add 4ths on guitar, I don't do it all that often. At least when playing jazz. They come out sounding very prog rocky when I try use them.
They're as basic a part of my bass playing vocab as 7ths are, but then bass is my first instrument and it's much easier to make just about any note make sense and sound the way you want it to when you're only playing one or two melodic lines.

Interesting

bump

Good selection my friend