Was this really the beginning of punk? If not, what was the first proper punk band? Not Patti Smith or The Stooges

Was this really the beginning of punk? If not, what was the first proper punk band? Not Patti Smith or The Stooges.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rl3FstCc_OY
youtube.com/watch?v=-g3dvtk805M
youtube.com/watch?v=38grWA0vyjA
youtube.com/watch?v=ugo7ai-CgTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go all the way back to the '60's garage bands to find the roots of punk and no, not proto-punk. There are real gems that are better punk than any Ramones tracks.

The Sonics
Gonn
The Seeds
Question Mark and the Mysterians are one of the earliest groups whose musical style is described as punk rock.
I hold the Ramones in the highest regard but they were more of a breakout in the genere. Many came before.

Thx

if by "punk" you mean real organized social movement, not loud dirty rock bands

Well, I mean musically

These niggas right here, we could be living in a world where bass heavy black fronted punk bands or Michael Jackson in a punk band is the norm, if this album was released in 1970s
youtube.com/watch?v=rl3FstCc_OY

So, do you think it makes members of The Ramones angry that they are mostly known for being a fashionable t-shirt, or do they not care as long as the much money keeps coming in?

Kinda hard to be angry when you're dead.

In my neck of the woods (UK and Ireland) it was New Rose, by The Damned. They released the first punk single, and album, beating The Sex Pistols by a few months.

This is a really great song

This is the real beginning of punk, so fuck off with all of your stupid meme hipster answers.

youtube.com/watch?v=-g3dvtk805M

May not be the first, but The Saints formed slightly before the Ramones did and started performing songs that were as Punk as them a few months before them, but their debut release was a few months after.

youtube.com/watch?v=38grWA0vyjA
it started here

Maybe I'm missing something, what's punk about it?

Fuck off with these "um no actually the first punk band was from south america in 1961" answers. Fuck Los Saicos. It's just dumb spics not knowing how to play guitar. It's not punk rock.

it's just the most punk song of all time, no fucks are given at all.

>he didn't even open the video
proven retard

I did open the video. Only reason I said Los Saicos is it's the same type of band as the one you posted.

Well both bands are proto-punk.

No they're not. They're just shitty garage bands. The meme of trying to apply the proto punk tag to the oldest bands imaginable needs to stop. Even if they were referred to as punk in the 60s that wasn't a style of music. Punk meant snotnosed kids which is why punk rock is called what it is.

good answer

the riff off of 30 Minutes over Tokyo is raw as fucking hell

Sex Pistols
/thread

This is objectively wrong

quads objectively confirm

The reason that those bands are called "proto"-punk is because those bands anticipated many of the punk stereotypes, like poor musicianship and a garage rock style. I recommend the Noisey documentary on Los Saicos. Proto-punk is meant to be a retroactive label.

Fuck off

Wherever you draw the line is arbitrary but I'd say that's the first punk album but Television were the first punk band. Everything before is proto-punk

I know more about proto punk than you do. I've seen that documentary. I understand the point behind it but at a certain point it just becomes stupid and needs to stop. Los Saicos really doesn't have anything in common with punk rock other than not being good musicians. It's literally just 60s pop rock played by people that can't tune a guitar. It's nothing special. There's a reason nobody'd ever heard of them until the internet.

If you ask me, they're much more heavier sounding Funk Rock than Punk.

this argument is useless anyways, OP asked for punk, not proto-punk. I'm going to have to say OP is right with the Ramones.

requesting the one where he keeps falling in a seamless loop

Except this literally came out a year after the Ramones s/t

>do back in time
>launch Death as a major band
>return
>hip-hop culture is now hardcore culture

yeah but english

This was recorded in 1969. Sounds like punk rock to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=ugo7ai-CgTs

>It's My Life