What are some undeserved box office bombs?

What are some undeserved box office bombs?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2016/04/michael-mann-books-harper-collins-heat-prequel-don-winslow-tony-accardo-sam-giancana-1201735560/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not that garbage

Does he ever wear a black hat in the movie?

Was it kino? I can't decide.

Everything Michael Mann does is kino.

John Carter

I turned this off after half an hour. Garbage

Blackhat sucked. Mann has been done since Public Enemy.

Fail-Safe (1964)

/thread

>Mann has been done since Public Enemy.

It's one of his best films.Right now the digital cinematography puts people off but it will be appreciated in the future.

Blackhat is absolute trash. You would all hate it if Mann didn't directed it.
Keep forgetting to watch this. Crazy how many movies Lumet did.

This was terrible

60fps apologist pls go back to Sup Forums

The jews tried to fuck Costner

John Carter

>Blackhat is absolute trash.

It does a lot of things other, more conventional movies don't. It's good a good sense of colour, texture and space. Far from trash.

I am fully convinced that the only reason Fail-Safe isn't considered as a classic masterpiece is because enough people didn't see it.
Shame that Kubrick was afraid of Lumet bombing him so the studios fucked Lumet over with the release.

It should be right next to 12 Angry Men on the power level.

>tfw renting and watching Lone Ranger after watching it completely fail commercially and critically

It was no worse than some Marvel movies

Hey, is that the rapist from Dragon Tattoo?

Yes.

>Budget $8 million
>Box office $3 million
A lot of other great indie / middle-budget movies also had shitty box office numbers, probably.

It was way too long. The train scene was pretty good though

Did the directors cut of this get released?

better production value than capeshit at least. and interesting in how tonally inconsistent it was

Yes. Mann has final cut on all his films.

>Mann has final cut on all his films
I wish user

Still his cut, even thought he studio didn't give him the money he needed to finish it the way he wanted, along with other factors.

He wanted a three hour cut and the studio cut it to 1 and a half

It wasn't his cut
That's like saying Dune's theatrical release was Lynch's cut.

>He wanted a three hour cut and the studio cut it to 1 and a half

The three hour cut would have been the initial assembly edit which would have contained all the footage shot. It wouldn't have been intended as a final, release cut.

>There are several editing stages and the editor's cut is the first. An editor's cut (sometimes referred to as the "Assembly edit" or "Rough cut") is normally the first pass of what the final film will be when it reaches picture lock. The film editor usually starts working while principal photography starts. Likely, prior to cutting, the editor and director will have seen and discussed "dailies" (raw footage shot each day) as shooting progresses. Screening dailies gives the editor a general idea of the director's intentions. Because it is the first pass, the editor's cut might be longer than the final film. The editor continues to refine the cut while shooting continues, and often the entire editing process goes on for many months and sometimes more than a year, depending on the film.

>That's like saying Dune's theatrical release was Lynch's cut.

That's a different case, because he didn't have final cut on that film.

This. I hated the look of Collateral when it first came out but it's ageing magnificently.

Director's cut still hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet. Not sure if it ever will
Mann only showed it at some festival or some shit.

Blackhat was fucking shit.
Stop trying to force your shit taste on other people.

The version released on Blu-ray was Mann's cut. He prepared a revised cut for a screening at a retrospective of his work in New York in February of this year but apparently he is still making changes and when asked if the new cut will be released on Blu-ray he responded 'wel'll see."

>ass snack.mp3

yes

I love the digital look and I even love the higher shutter speed he uses, but I can't really enjoy his films

Public Enemies was alright but it was seven years ago. Blackhat is bad and the man is 73 now. I'd imagine he's finished

My faves are The Insider, Collateral and Heat. And even then I don't enjoy them all, the first half of Collateral is just setups and music montages while Heat is really fucking long. I only really enjoy the great sequences, not the whole films

>I'd imagine he's finished

I don't know why you would think this when he has a film in pre-production and many other projects lined up including a publishing imprint with two books scheduled so far, including a Heat prequel.
deadline.com/2016/04/michael-mann-books-harper-collins-heat-prequel-don-winslow-tony-accardo-sam-giancana-1201735560/

It wasn't a masterpiece but I think it was just as good as the average marvel flick or the new Star Wars. I'm not sure what killed it besides possibly lack of name recognition.

Fantastic Four. Much worse films have made much more money

Even with the mess that it was, I enjoyed it more than the fucking Thor movies and yet one has 20% RT and was made fun of for months, the others made fucktons of money and were then forgotten about

This deserved to make lots of money, sad Canon didn't get the results they wanted, really great movie

bump