This was in the oil pan of my truck. Any idea what it is?

This was in the oil pan of my truck. Any idea what it is?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(mechanical)
amazon.com/TK4090-Timing-Chains-Tensioners-Mercury/dp/B00WA92GY2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1486771288&sr=8-6&keywords=ford ranger timing chain tensioner
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just put that back in the oil fill, it'll make its way back down where it belongs

Part of a piston ring, a crusty old gasket, and crunched up bits of a nylon timing chain tensioner.

Bad luck. That engine is fucked.

It's caramel, which means someone put sugar in your tank.

Bumping cause I don't know shit about cars and could learn something

Ur truck is fucked

This. Engine is roast. THat circular bit is the piston ring.

Let me guess - Turbo diesel and you boosted it? Looks like the result of overboost detonation.

Yeah im going with this user, either piston ring or a funny looking jubilee clip,
This is fixed by putting more air in the dashboard its totally outta air

Look like con rod bearings.

Do you fucking idiots know what piston rings look like?
They're not a fucking half inch thick.
One moron says it so the rest of you parrot him in an attempt to look smart?
Shit cunts.

Possibly but why would the bearing be split like that. Layers don't seperate.

Lookin like part of the rear main seal and some other gasket.

>tells others they are wrong
>does not know the answer himself
>thinks he looks cool
>is a faggot

How would the RMS get *inside* the engine?

As oil is dead dinosaurs,
this must be dinosaur bones

>your all stupid
>i know the answer but im not giving you the satisfaction of telling you teehee

It's a few parts of your circular splange rod. Bring it in to my shop, I'll get it fixed for less than $5k.

>Your dicks half inch thick.

Looks like Nissan parts to me.

This is what you looking for OP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(mechanical)
This motor must be noisy as hell

Read like a book. Kek

Why's it all greasy? If you cleaned your truck more, it wouldn't break.

dumbasses

samefag

nope

Kek. Nice damage control.

Its your timing belt tensioner.

Well, you may not be same, but you sure are a faggot.

That's not a piston ring, it has layers, onions have layers, it's clearly an ogre.

aren't we all.

I've done a pretty good amount of work on vehicles and I've never actually seen anything like that as far as I know. Looking at ops pic I thought it was some kind of leaf spring but I couldn't think of anything that small that made any sense.

The real question is how the fuck it got into the oil pan and where it came from.

Piston ring, if you only realised something was wrong when you found that in your pan you must drive high

Not funny. How about you gtfo.

Sugar

Eww, the guy who agrees with my uses a mac.
Gross.

I'm pretty sure that keeps the camshaft in place. I remember tearing down an engine and seeing something similar

This is a crank bearing. I have no idea what the fuck kind of engines you guys look at or work on where the belt tensioner is is the crankcase.

OP I'm pretty sure it is your camshaft bearing.

ok

There's a valve seal. Bits of a gasket or two. Belt tensioner is a good guess for the plastic bits. No idea what the elliptical piece is.

Yea. This. Jesus christ I'm an idiot.

Chain driven

How about you shove a screw driver down your dick and get rid of some of that pent up anger.

finding the f and g took a while, shame it's not the same color/font

kek

Looks like teeth off a nylon timing gear mixed in there.

moral of the thread
constant fluid changes

Dude you broke your velocipede.

sorry m9

Literally the most important thing

Mechanic here, what type of vehicle? Was the engine still working OK before you took the oil sump off?

>oil
>dinosaurs
The American Education system, everyone

there come the real questions

Never seen a rod bearing .. do you work on lawn mower ?

It's for sure a broken rod bearing, due to a lack of oil. It's not uncommon on diesel engine with poor maintenance.

If all of that shit was just sitting in your oil pan than someone did a repair on the front of the engine and just left pits and peaces of the oil pan gasket and possibly the crankshaft seal.

If the engine is running with no knocking than clean all that shit out, put it back together, change oil filter. Change oil and filter again after a couple hundred miles.

Honestly it just looks like gasket material, the large round layered metal thing is a mystery to me but another user said it may be a timing belt or chain tensioner.

Could of been left in there

well, some of them dinosaur fishies shure died and became oil.. but the others shure new the krabby burger recipe already and took it to their graves

It's a goddam bearing. You spun a bearing.

Someone put tamarind candy in your oil tank. Could be Mexican terrorists.

It's a common misconception based on pop culture.

info about the vehicle sure culd have been left in ops post

The bits of brown plastic are timing CHAIN tensioner/guide. Not belt. CHAIN.

This is some OHC engine with a long run from the crank to the cam and it needs them to keep alignment.

Looks like excessive crank case pressure also. Check your pcv system next time, but this engine looks fucked.

Babbit bearings such as those used on crankshafts and camshafts are not layered. Can we move past this?

you right, read too fast.

Don't think he really cared much

Mechanic here again, what type of vehicle? I can check autodata and let you know

Sup Forums
Expecting serious answers.
Faggot

agreed

>
He could actually get some at /o/ tbh

Yup. Fossil fuels are not from dinosaur fossils. Not enough dinos to make that much oil.
>mfw people still say this

It's a ford ranger. It runs good. I've had no problems with it until seeing this.

I don't think you know what a spun bearing is.
a spun bearing is just what it sounds like.
Your crank bearings are in two pieces, and if you spin a bearing, those pieces get spun out of their correct position.

If your bearing comes out, you're not gunna have a good time. You can drive a car around with a spun bearing.

There is NO WAY for anything bigger than 1/4" to get from your valves to your oil pan.

What year model? And what type of engine . . . etc

>truck engine
>not layered / reinforced
pick one

Probably the motor was rebuilt or most replaced. Shit was left in the pan. Some old gasket in there too

no

This is the right answer

Have you ever worked on a car?
If you've got the oil pan out, you're not just gunna leave some old part in it because you're too fat and lazy to throw them away.

This isn't throwing a beer can under the bathtub before setting it.

I wouldn't put it against some mechanics...

Please do

There ms no piston rings in that pic
KYS

Here you go OP

>Could be Mexican terrorists.
Chunks of Churros

2005. V6

Don't think its main bearing...I've never seen one that delaminates into multiple layers.

Definitely some gasket material in there. Brown bits though, not sure. Tensioner shouldn't be IN the engine block.

Whatever it all is, unless theres a missing piston or one with a large hole burned through it, this all came from the bottom end.
Ask /o/ OP.

Trust me man. I know plenty of what mechanics do and don't. They will leave shit in there on purpose or forgot to clean out. Spending a day or two rebuilding a motor, you'll forget to do something

The white bits are teeth off a nylon timing gear, most likely.The black semicircular part and the other bits looklike the remnants of the timing chain cover gasket and the front pan seal. It may be that someone replaced the timing gear and dropped pieces in the pan in the process.

Mechanics forget shit all the time. The fuck u talking about? Driving a car out the garage with no trans fluid letting the customer drive home. This shit happens for real. What world do you live in

3.0 or 4.0?

Coatings are not layers, jesus tittyfucking christ

amazon.com/TK4090-Timing-Chains-Tensioners-Mercury/dp/B00WA92GY2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1486771288&sr=8-6&keywords=ford ranger timing chain tensioner

Look here bottom right its part of a timing chain tensioner. shitty past repair dropped it in the pan and was too lazy to clean it out.

Grease monkeys leave tools under the hood all the time. I wouldn't put it past

Looks like someone did a timing chain replacement without removing the pan and let all of the old shit just fall in there or it is just an old POS and it finally died.

By the amount of old broken nylon and that it is in a Ranger, I would guess 4.0l Ford. The curved metal bit might be some kind of spacer for the cam gears.

^HesRightYouKnow.jpg

POO XD

I am a mechanic.
You can forget to tighten all the bolts.
You can forget to plug in a sensor.
You can forget to refill fluid.

You can't forget to dump the trash out of an oil pan.
It's literally harder to put the pan on if there's stuff in it.

Ya I'm thinking something like that. He said truck runs fine so...

Shit fell in during a repair.