Yesterday Nielsen announced its subscriber numbers for November 2016 and those numbers were the worst in the history of...

>Yesterday Nielsen announced its subscriber numbers for November 2016 and those numbers were the worst in the history of ESPN's existence as a cable company -- the worldwide leader in sports lost 621,000 cable subscribers. That's the most subscribers ESPN has ever lost in a month according to Nielsen estimates and it represents a terrifying and troubling trend for the company, an acceleration of subscriber loss that represents a doubling of the average losses over the past couple of years, when ESPN has been losing in the neighborhood of 300,000 subscribers a month.
>These 621,000 lost subscribers in the past month alone lead to a drop in revenue of over $52 million and continue the alarming subscriber decline at ESPN. Couple these subscriber declines with a 24% drop in Monday Night Football ratings this fall, the crown jewel of ESPN programming, and it's fair to call October of 2016 the worst month in ESPN's history. But this isn't just a story about ESPN, the rapid decline in cable subscribers is hitting every channel, sports and otherwise. It just impacts ESPN the most because ESPN costs every cable and satellite subscriber roughly $7 a month, over triple the next most expensive cable channel.

How do we save ESPN?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IG-tw6uPTSk
outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916
techhive.com/article/3103449/data-center-cloud/whats-going-on-with-fox-sports-on-playstation-vue.html
smoothstreams.tv/news/dada/mail.cgi/list/smoothinvite/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Let it burn

You don't it's garbage

SJW bullshit company

We don't.

Maybe now they'll go back to reporting on sports instead of using their platform to push progressive social issues

Wait, do people not care about Tebow anymore?

The jews made this bed, let them burn in it

youtube.com/watch?v=IG-tw6uPTSk
pander to e-sports

Man, I love video games but I cannot take e-sports seriously. I can't even stand to watch it.

Their sports reporting is horseshit. You could get rid of every agenda they have and it's still just a network that's about celebrity athletes. That's an especially bad strategy when your biggest cash cow is the NFL, a league that actively wants its athletes to be anonymous rather than celebrities.

They are by the most expensive cable channel, more providers should drop them

The only thing worth watching on ESPN is Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption, and both of them are highly reliant on who is on the show.
They need to come up with 23 hours of actual entertainment to fill around that.

>wanting to save ESPN
The only thing I want to watch ESPN for is college football. I would be perfectly fine if BTN/Pac-12 networks/etc all carried their own games and I just had to watch games on ABC/CBS/wherever during bowl season

The WatchESPN feature on their app is way better than Fox Sports right now though

maybe they shouldn't be locked behind the $100+ a month packages fucking jews.

just cut all the frills and retarded little analysis sections and web-shorts and bullshit
they're trying to be like buzzfeed and youtube reaction videos and a sports broadcaster all rolled into one, it's fucking nauseating

Americans will come to English football

Ouch

outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

do you guys ever actually leave your houses to see that the world isn't some big sjw conspiracy theory?

you don't save ESPN because you don't save traditional cable in general.

the major cable providers STILL are charging up to $200/mo for cable in the age of netflix and hulu and free donation based content on places like youtube. they need to either convince the channels to give them their content at a fraction of the price they do now so they can move to a cheaper, similar system to netflix or youtube, or keep the current system as an inclusion for free with internet deals, or drastically reduce the price.

i would say from here on out, 30% at the very least, of young people getting their own places aren't buying cable and are getting netflix, hulu, prime video, etc all for under $30 a month.

the ONLY things keeping cable afloat are live events like sports and news, or the huge TV shows like game of thrones. once netflix or amazon or hulu start getting most of the new TV series on their platform which is happening already, cable is truly fucked.

ESPN adds an extra $6 per month to your cable bill. Shit like that is exactly why I pirate everything. I have a huge list of stolen cable passwords and I activate all the apps on my family and friends rokus and amazon fire TVs. Pirating ESPN is easy.

this used to be true, but ATH is filled with agenda pushers now with their gay feminist panelists and PTI has gone the way of pandering and towing the company line. remember when Kornheiser would get suspended and speak his mind? now he's afraid of losing those beta bux and keeps his mouth shut. I used to love both those shows but don't even bother watching now

Americucks what does ESPN stand for? I always wonder.

There's not enough quality to justify the high cost. I haven't had cable in four years and it's been great.

Why are you guys obsessed with ESPN. Who gives a fuck

>SJW bullshit company
Amen. I don't turn sports on to listen to liberal poltical bullshit. Or kaperdick kneeling to suck a dick.

ATH is definitely worse, but I still enjoy PTI.
They're still the only hour on ESPN worth watching.

ExtraSensory PerceptioN

>SJW

I thought you had to be at least 18 to post on Sup Forums.

Entertainment Sports Programming Network.

pEnis
peniS
Penis
peNis

You trying to memed me? I believe this guy more

You don't.

Cut the cord and drop the dish.

I thought you went to college to get an education.

Also ESPN is operated by the Walt Disney Company but don't let that stop you from watching shit.

>on my family and friends rokus
hook me up bro

How about they go back to showing straight highlights instead of talking about fucking Twitter all the time.
The marketing of SVP is the most cringey shit I've seen in a long time.
Stop pandering.
Show actual fucking sports.
Just because it involves involves an athlete doesn't make it a sports story.
Fewer kids with cancer.

Go into the ESPN app and get the code thingy to come up, post it here and I'll activate you.

this.

moreover, bill simmons is right. they are a tech company, and the sooner they realize it the better off theyll be

ESPN in Brazil has not salvation anymore

I miss LĂșcio and Trajano

Marry, fuck or kill?

Trips for truth

How bout suicide

it wants to know which provider

Pick Bright House

I caught this live and it was frankly embarrassing. E-sports are not sports. Not to mention that no one (not the hosts, guests, or even audience) had no idea what the fuck they were watching.
I'm almost certain that there is no crossover between E-sports fans and ESPN talk-show viewers.

KCDAHPL

What's the problem amerifat anons have with ESPN? This shit is clearly because cable TV is dying, not because people are tired of the instagram/twitter shit or the negro centered content (aka The Undefeated).

>KCDAHPL
Done

Of course it's more "important" to justify freaks than pay tribute to a young girl who suffered cancer.

Really Fox isnt even top 5? Thats a little surprising since they have college and pro football/baseball. I guess not having to pay for that giant new NBA deal helps. Might explain why so many of the guys ESPN cant pay for anymore are at fox now.

bro

it's replace by new network like foxsports maybe?

Fox makes big money off the RSNs though. They're just trying to bleed out ESPN.

This is a smart guy. I've just moved out and me and my roommate refuse to get cable. He gets the the Internet bill and I subscribed us to sling, nextflix and Hulu for about 40 dollars a month and that's all we need

True. But it doesn't help either. I haven't had cable tv for 6 years now. All I have is muh Internet thru TWC. Netflix, pirate some old stuff. How much would Sky Sports make if they made F1 stream available on a pay per view basis?

>sling
orange or blue?
blue is 5 bucks more but it looks like a better value.

Oh look, it's one of those pathetic losers that's proud of being a low income piece of trash.

I have directv. I like it. It's nice having money.

>realistic analysis on Sup Forums

Nah m8 you're all wrong it's just the SJWs. If ESPN got rid of all minority and female personalities then cable subscriptions would be on the rise again and cable cutting for cheaper options would stop.

Have you guys tried not being poor?

directv is gonna start an internet tv service next month.
they say 100+ channels for $35. might be a good deal. have to see the channel list first

Smart people have good jobs and can afford cable. You have an entry level mcjob because you're not smart.

Reminder that niggers and Jews are bad news.

wagecuck pls

let them burn

ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior
A&E, Lifetime, History, LMN, FYI and VICELAND
HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel and Great American Country

these are the confirmed networks. but nbc univeral and others have agreed to include channels

That's nice. You pay for everything I get for free. I can afford to buy these things you know. Why would I though? I don't just use stolen logins I also have hacks for several streaming services. The quality is comparable to what you get from DirecTV. I also have a paid illegal streaming service (again using someone's stolen password) that has a ton of DirecTV boxes they use to stream. They do all of the NFL Sunday Ticket in 720p and most major events including Boxing and UFC in 720p too. I don't have to pay a dime for it.

Agreed.

They still have great reporting, but I can't turn on the channel without them spinning some social story and giving their opinion on it for hours.

I think their whining and opining has worn the public down. Sports was the one escape from social struggles.

>directv is gonna start an internet tv service next month.

Correction: AT&T is starting an internet TV service.

I tried PS Vue for a week. My gf didnt like it cause it was missing a couple of her channels. Also, the picture quality was noticably worse. I compared the TNF game on NFL network between vue and directv and the directv picture was sharper, and the colors popped a lot more.

That's because it's run by MLBAM. Their apps are retarded and don't always choose the best bitrate to stream. PS Vue is actually really good if you get the 4500 stream every time.

>I can afford to buy these things you know.
No you can't. Youre a loser living paycheck to paycheck and paying for cable would mean not being able to eat.

>I also have a paid illegal streaming service (again using someone's stolen password) that has a ton of DirecTV boxes they use to stream. They do all of the NFL Sunday Ticket in 720p and most major events including Boxing and UFC in 720p too.

lol this is all bullshit you pulled from your ass. Pathetic little lying bitch.

If blackout rules ever change and people can stream their local teams, cable and satellite tv will be dead. Live sports is one of the last things those companies can depend on.

>using cable

Why? It's obsolete, normies can just watch whatever shows they see other people talking about on social media on Netflix now.

No fox sports? Whats the point?

>have cable
>thought about cutting it
>cable box dies on Friday
>they can't get me a replacement until Monday
>try to stream games on Saturday and Sunday
>pretty much every stream is ass
>decide to keep cable

I have no idea how you guys do it.

>hurr ur poor

are you the same faggot that shits up /heem/ threads with this stuff
if so please kill yourself, you contribute nothing to any discussion you choose to involve yourself in

I also have directv and tried Vue and vue doesnt have my regional fox sports even though the channels show on the website.

techhive.com/article/3103449/data-center-cloud/whats-going-on-with-fox-sports-on-playstation-vue.html

Where are you finding your streams?

Whatever you say.

Well that's just the confirmed channels. There was talk of regional channels but until the end of November we won't know.

Free streams listed on Reddit. I see there are paid streams, but I'm worried about putting my credit card information out to those sites.

Any good illegal site also takes bitcoin.

I've never posted in /heem/ but I'm not surprised a a poorfag like you likes ufc. That demographic is definitely lower income. I bet you also watch WWE.

Tell me more about your l33t hacker 720p streams that are as good as my directv.

What am I looking at?

We save It by passing more soccer games

Sports have always been a political battleground and a way for blacks to communicate social issues. Kaerpernick taking a knee, basketball players involved with BLM, none of this is new to sports.

Poorfags only pretend streams are as good as cable. I've used acestream for boxing PPVs and not only is the picture quality not as good, but there's like a 10-20 second delay.

Imagine being one of these streaming dorks and someone comes over to their house and wants to watch TV. "Uh, uh hold on, l-let me check reddit for a stream..."

this i used to watch both religiously(especially PTI) but i havent watched either in a few years

ATH is unwatchable

I'm not that guy, I'm the other guy. DirecTV is probably better than most of my streams, sure. Satellite is able to provide a higher bitrate. They have really fancy encoders that can maximize the amount of bitrate available to each stream on a specific transponder and obviously sports channels will be given higher priority. I've seen ESPN's stream from DirecTV and the bitrate jumps pretty high.

At the same time that's not worth $100 a month to me. I COULD afford that, or I could pay $40 a month to my local cable company which I think looks better than both DirecTV or Dish Network. I don't want to though. I have fun fucking around with illegal streams.

The best source for sports streams there is. They're starting to upgrade many of their channels to 720p 24/7 now too. They have channels from the US, Canada, and UK.

>All these fags saying huurr stop being poor

If you're high income, inefficient spending (on things like cable) is a good way to end up broke.

>TFW 6 figure Wendy's chef and I shop at Kroger

>The best source for sports streams there is. They're starting to upgrade many of their channels to 720p 24/7 now too. They have channels from the US, Canada, and UK.
Ok well whats it called.

Smoothstreams. It's invite only but if you get on the mailing list eventually you'll get in.

smoothstreams.tv/news/dada/mail.cgi/list/smoothinvite/

I think they do a pretty good job covering live sports.

Their sports talk shows are nothing but nigger rights, tranny/fag stories or women though. White men are frowned upon there.

>DirecTV is probably better than most of my streams
Probably? Most of?

It's definitely better than all of your streams. This isn't up for debate. Nevermind the fact that I an sit on my couch, pick of the remote, and start watching whatever I want. If my internet goes down, I can still watch TV. If my tv goes down, I can use the internet. The two arent dependent on each other.

nice woodwork, faggot. Do you live in a mobile home?

That easy to spot one.

>$7 a month

wtf I love ESPN now. How is it so cheap? And how tight are Americans not to pay this?

>ESPN pays for rights based on a fee per subscriber that they get from cable companies
>when ESPN loses subscribers, they lose money, and have to raise that fee in order to keep up with their obligations to pay the leagues
>the raised fee leads to increased subscriber losses
>eventually, they'll lose so many subscribers that they'll default on their contractual obligations to pay for TV rights
>sports leagues dependent on this money will get their rights back and try to sell them to one of ESPN's competitors, only they'll all be having the same problem and won't pay as much
>league revenue will decline, forcing the owners to cut costs wherever they can, including player salaries
>players will reject the salary cuts, causing strikes and lockouts
>leagues collapse

Are you excited for the death of sports, Sup Forums?

But what about when a massive storm comes in. I can sit on my couch, pick up my remote, and start watching whenever I want too. Also I can watch some things you couldn't unless you bought very expensive packages. I can watch pay per views without paying $50 a pop. Let me guess, next you're going to tell me you have NHL Center Ice, ESPN Gameday, NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, and MLB Extra Innings...

I even have access to local affiliates from every major market in the country. I can watch preseason NFL if I want. DirecTV can't sell me that.

Yeah I live in a shitty mobile home. The money I save living here means I have lots of disposable income to spend on stupid shit like cable TV. I'm considering buying it just so I can stream games for people on Sup Forums. I already have HDMI capture gear.

You can't buy channels individually. They come as packages offered by the provider.

If there was actual competition among cable providers, this wouldn't happen. Fucking common carrier government horseshit.

less money in sport is not a bad thing