Massively underrated albums/artists thread

Stereolab are quite little discussed nowadays but Peng in particular gets too little love, if you like strange krautrocky electronic pop with a qt french/anglo singer you might like them

youtube.com/watch?v=6993BdVL_0k
youtube.com/watch?v=QzFiCRw1XAw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lqpcrpC3P28
youtube.com/watch?v=AFpi2cSTpm0
youtube.com/watch?v=c2_vlvkd8l4
youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9Um8T88KM
youtube.com/watch?v=wt3n-N8aOKU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there's a not insignificant group of people who unironically think this is their worst album with the original lineup

I can't fully get into any Stereolab album that comes before Dots and Loops.

everybody and their moms knows about stereolab ffs man

simply the best Cul De Sac album and a very good post-rock albums
yet it's only rarely mentioned anywhere

I feel you. Stereolab gets a lot of attention but whenever they do people always end up saying "yeah but I don't like peng". It's such a beautiful album

You'd probably like it emperor tomato ketchup

I've tried ETK many times already. Even that one is too repetitive for me.

i can't get into stereolab after transient random-noise bursts
i'd probably really like peng though

I think it's their best album desu

Life And How to Live it is their best song and one of the best songs ever recorded.

Morphine - Cure for Pain
It's alt rock with heavy sax, but that doesn't do it justice, just listen.
Maybe morphine were bigger elsewhere but they are unheard of in the UK

youtube.com/watch?v=lqpcrpC3P28

youtube.com/watch?v=AFpi2cSTpm0

never said they were unknown

Worst production out of all their 80s albums.

Mansun
One of the best British bands of the 90s

Everything by Broadcast, especially their collab with the Focus Group
Pram's first album and Sargasso Sea
Laika - Silver Apples of the Moon
Everything on Sarah Records that isn't the Field Mice
The first four DAT Politics albums, and Tone Rec
Mille Plateaux and Mego releases from the late-90s/early-00s
Autechre - EP7 and Draft 7.30
Everything by The Fall that isn't Hex Enduction Hour or This Nation's Saving Grace.
Rechenzentrum, Macha, Matmos (pre-Supreme Balloon), Staer, Swell Maps, Mekons, Prolapse, High Llamas, Jan Terri, Bernard Parmegiani, Francois Bayle, People Like Us, Aksak Maboul, ZNR, Etron Fou Leloublan, Golden Teacher, Turkish music, The Young Tradition and traditional music in general.

What do I win ?

Tina's is remembered for her 80's pop songs, and Ike is remembered for smoking crack and beating Tina, but they were arguably the greatest guitar player/vocalist duo in the history of music, and their musical output in the 60's and 70's was top notch.

youtube.com/watch?v=c2_vlvkd8l4
youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9Um8T88KM

K-Stars is one of their best songs

>hex enduction hour and this nations saving grace
>the most overrated the fall albums are 'massively underrated'
Don't think so honey but Sargasso Sea is definitely underrated

I like Pram's first album and Helium, but there's something odd about Sargasso Sea's mixing that makes it difficult to listen to.

No I was talking about the rest : their early singles, Dragnet, The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall, Bend Sinister, Extricate, Shift-Work, Code: Selfish, The Infotainment Scan, Levitate, The Unutterable, The Real New Fall LP, Your Future Our Clutter...

TNSG is definitely overrated, but HEH is one of my favorite album of all-time, I can't bring myself to say something bad about it.

That's funny, I'm the opposite

It's definitely an underrated Cul de Sac album, but I wouldn't say it's the best. It starts off strong on the first track but has a weak middle section. Crashes to Light is a much more consistent and better album.

Soul Coughing's groovy brand of alt-rock is one of my favourite sounds of the 90's, though it seems they're rarely discussed nowadays, Mike Doughty's awesome lyrics and the bands overall technical proficiency at their instruments are something to behold imo.

how did I forget this one. Good taste

better than Lament for shure, but pales in comparison of pic related
Jewels is pretty hit and miss, but at least the misses are interesting and not "comedy" songs.

Still Grundstueck is by far the best from that series and probably their only good album post Silecence is Sexy

thanks for the rec OP. i've been wanting to get more into stereolab but all i've listened to is emperor tomato ketchup and dots and loops, both of which i liked.

listening to peng! now and i like it so far. of course im only on the first song, but hopes are high!

you've got me interested, what are some essential ike and tina-core?

The Ike & Tina Turner Story: 1960-1975 is their best and most compete compilation and probably the best starting point

Holy shit did goldie lookin chain sample Fancy Annie?
youtube.com/watch?v=wt3n-N8aOKU

Field Music