Be honest, why do you really not like metal? Have you even tried it...

Be honest, why do you really not like metal? Have you even tried it? I guarantee the reason most people don't like metal is because they have some stereotype of it in their mind and they haven't actually listened to it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg
metal-archives.com/search?searchString=partying&type=band_themes
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcoLO8vZZU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3f20L0msLsM
youtube.com/watch?v=VOZltPXMO8c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Actually they get scared by our autism (just look at /meal/, it's a garbage fire)
Or they listen to a way too extreme album as their first listen
Blackies shouting "UNTRVE" at them doesn't help either

The metal aestethic doesn't scare anyone but grandmas now

I think the music itself is just too abrasive for them. I think the best route to get someone to get really into metal is to start them off with Black Sabbath and Metallica. From there, get them into other heavy metal and light thrash, and then onto more extreme metal.

Exactly
But what metal albums are talked about on Sup Forums? Dopethrone, filosofem and earth 2. Two of them are too extreme and one isn't representative at all

I'm a huge, true metalhead, but the community is a pest.

I don't think it's necessary to convince anyone to listen, there are already enough posers in the genre, we don't need any new fans, to be honest. The less involved I am in the fandom, the better.

All of those are entry level meme albums within their respective genres anyways. We need to shill stuff like Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer. That album is quite thrashy but still accessible and catchy. It's the logical next step after someone has gotten accustomed to Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

Jazz/Fusion--->Instrumental Prog--->Prog w/ clean vocals--->Prog w/ mixed vocals--->Heavy Prog--->Explore.

Worked with some of my friends

Interestingly enough, I started with prog rock and then got into prog metal and then got into other metal after that.

I started getting into Scando Black Metal but then I read up on the bands and they just disgusted me. Fucking edgy kids with no fucking sense
I'm sure there's plenty of good metal but that really turned me off

Also the target here was mostly musicians/music majors in undergrad. Not sure how you might approach another demographic

i started with disturbed and then listened to reign in blood until i developed stockholm syndrome because i thought that the idea of listening to slayer was really cool

You gotta do what you gotta do to develop good taste my man

Believe it or not some people can enjoy a completely different set of things than you and not be wrong. #wow #whoa

This is where an "artist != art" mindset comes in handy. If I only listened to the music of people I didn't find personally repulsive, I'd be missing out on a good chunk of excellent music, including like half of hip-hop.

It helps that black metal is so over-the-top that I can only enjoy it with a small amount of ironic detachment.

I only cared about the singing back then, but one day i realized that "hey, guitars, drums, harsh vocals and shit are pretty cool too" never went back to them after that.

That applies for lot of things. Listening to Mercyful Fate doesn't make you a satanist. Most artists are idiots when it comes to anything other than music.

Just because you like Lennon's Imagine doesn't make you a communist now does it.

/metal/ looks autstic as fuck so i just stick to punk for similar catharsis

A big part of the community is shitty. Or at least it was that way for me when I used to be 100% metalhead.

I was into it for a decade and some change. It was almost all that I listened to actually, other than punk rock.

The reason why I don't really bother with it now unless something gets great reviews across the board is that metal is a one-trick pony. Maybe two-trick pony at best.

It's a music genre that is autistically unable to convey any emotions or themes other than

>darkness

>brutality

and maybe sometimes a sad love song if you dip into dad rock crossover bands.

I guess the counter-point is that any genre of music is limited in its themes. All pop music is about partying like a retard for instance, and that's fair enough. In my case though I've heard enough "muh darkness" music in my pre-teen years, teen years, and young adult years that I don't want to hear anymore of it unless I really really have to.

These days I'll listen to just about anything, music is music. The most recent metal album I checked out was Abbath's self-titled, and before I couldn't tell you what was the last metal album I got into. Maybe some Agoraphobic Nosebleed in the mid-late 2000s

>It's a music genre that is autistically unable to convey any emotions or themes other than darkness and brutality
lol

Are you having a laugh because it's true, or are you having a laugh because you're one of those "metal is incredibly varied and diversified" lads

stuff like power metal, prog metal, symphonic metal or djent arent dark or brutal at all
imo on this thematic/emotional level most metal is about like strength, resoluteness, sometimes pessimistic sometimes uplifting
it probably depends on whether you self-insert or just let the musicians play at you

I laughed because that was a completely absurd statement

Metal just became waaay too diverse and big for normies to absorb it all.

It's not a bad thing, but people become too scared and just run off listening to Emmure or some shit.

>strength, resoluteness

Exactly, brutality.

I'm not saying that it's BAD that it's limited to a couple of themes, what it does it does extremely well, but if you want something else you just have to move on to a different genre.

Okay, find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night. Bonus point if it's not some autistic meme genre like pirate metal or beercore.

>Exactly, brutality.
eh, the gory stuff is just a very extreme outburst of the broad strength obsession but let's not get into semantics i'd say
> find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night.
pretty much anything by Eskimo Callboy

>Okay, find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night.
pretty much any radio-friendly folk metal

I think you got it on the nose there.

>pretty much anything by Eskimo Callboy

I just listened to this 2017 version of Brokencyde and the sing is still angrily screaming and sounds like he's about to cry as well, that defeats the purpose of a fun song about partying.

pretty much any example you care to share?

>that defeats the purpose of a fun song about partying.
maybe if you're a normie

Korpiklaani and Alestorm come to mind
Also Andrew W.K. for pure party metal/hard rock

>Korpiklaani and Alestorm

I said no beercore

>Andrew W.K

Andrew WK is fun, but no trve metalhead will ever even acknowledge him as being metal. If anything he's the exception that proves the rule.

>maybe if you're a normie

That's my point. Not everyone wants to autistically dwell on le brutal darkness.

>dwell on le brutal darkness
if you get used to it metal doesnt sound brutal or dark anymore, it's certainly not what long-time metal fans like about it, it's literally just initial shock or allure
and what's not cool about the idea of partying & screaming? hardcore techno is based on the same idea

Yeah but it's not a matter of getting used to it, it's about wanting something actually different.

>and what's not cool about the idea of partying & screaming?

There's nothing wrong with it inherently, but if you want party music that isn't screamed at you, then you gotta look outside of the metal world.

I also like hardcore techno and hardstyle and makina and speedcore and all those other hard-hitting electronic genres, but sometimes I also enjoy house and trance and easy-listening electronic genres.

Each music genre/subgenre does its own thing, that's both a curse and a blessing.

>too abrasive
lmao. someone recced me Mastodon and some band with a P.. like Piledriver or sth (it's not that for sure though)

And I tried to listen to that shit but it was so cringe, I couldn't stand more than 30 seconds. Sorry dude, it's just too cheesy

>Okay, find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night. Bonus point if it's not some autistic meme genre like pirate metal or beercore.
There\s comedy metal, like Psychostick, that's not autistic ( I think, lmao )

My problem with metal is their technique jail. It is so fucking close, that makes metal hard to differentiate.

Metalhead doesn't bother me, been an asshole isn't a matter of the genre you listen

(sorry, english isn't my firt language)

I agree, I haven't been a metalhead in a long time, but I will always carry the spirit, although the metal spirit is long dead, bunch of PC faggotry, posers and dumb articles everywhere. Fuck this gay earth.

>I said no beercore
doesn't change the fact that party metal exists

Yeah but it's a meme gimmick genre, it's not genuine. Why do you have to behind a gimmick to try and make fun songs? Because it's not br00tal enough.

Or it's still angry metalcore like what the other user posted.

If I want party music I'll listen to party music, if I want metal I'll listen to metal.

It's like trying to use pliers as a wrench, or the butt-end of a screwdriver as a hammer..

It might sort of do a half-assed passable job at times if you have nothing else to use, but it's still the wrong tool for that job.

>find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night

youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

He was already brought up.

He barely qualifies as metal, and yes he quite fun but he's just the exception that proves the rule. His entire gimmick is that he's not an angry metalhead and that he likes to party, there's no one else like him.

>Be honest, why do you really not like metal?
I like metal, I like metal a lot. Not a big fan of Venom though.

>I guarantee the reason most people don't like metal is because they have some stereotype of it in their mind and they haven't actually listened to it.
This applies to all music genres. I'm sure there's a genre out there that you won't touch because of your preconceived notions about it. If not then, that's cool for you. You're already a step ahead of 80% of this board.

>it's not genuine
kek because top 40 pop music is more genuine maybe?
>Why do you have to behind a gimmick to try and make fun songs? Because it's not br00tal enough.
Absolutely wrong in every way possible

Listen mate just because you personally don't think a certain genre can convey more than 2 emotions means that it's the truth

>Okay, find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night.
metal-archives.com/search?searchString=partying&type=band_themes

t. nĂ¼-male

this nibba fell for the memes

Mastodon is hated by all of the metal community, the guy who recced this to you was joking
Just listen to traditionnal heavy metal for starters
Also what do you usually listen to?

>kek because top 40 pop music is more genuine maybe?

I wasn't talking about top 40 pop music.

There's a whole world of music between metal and top 40 pop. You should check it out one day.

Speaking of which, could you ever find a politically-themed song in the top 40 charts of the last couple decades?

Maybe, there's probably one or two songs that have some vague political themes, but you're better off looking at punk rock when it comes to that.

It's the same with metal. If you want something that is no-bullshit fun and isn't ran through the brutality filter, you're better off looking somewhere else..

>just one page
>most of them are beercore meme bands

hhhhmmm..

>it's a meme gimmick genre, it's not genuine.
those arent mutually exclusive at all btw

You're an idiot and the reasons you listed are laughable
I was going to write a long paragraph explaining you why you were so wrong, but it's just not worth my time
Hopefully one day you'll discover it for yourself

Traditional stuff sounds so dated dude, like i'm listening from a tin can..

I listen to electronic musics mainly (Aphexes, Boards of Canadas, Justice, Breakcore, ect, the list goes on ;^) )

Okay, but I don't know why you're so upset that some guy somewhere is listening to music other than just 40 subgenres of metal.

I'm not telling you which music you can or can't listen to

>Okay, find me the metal song that is about having fun with your friends on a friday night. Bonus point if it's not some autistic meme genre like pirate metal or beercore.
Basically any song by Motley Crue or Guns N Roses, unless you consider them just hard rock.

>Traditional stuff sounds so dated dude, like i'm listening from a tin can..
The music itself or the production? Cause if it's the production there's some thm revival out there with better production
Maybe you'll like devin townsend? Idk the athmosphere of everything you do is a baloon made me think of stormbending
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcoLO8vZZU
He also has a more industrial side
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3f20L0msLsM

I get that you don't like metal, what you listen to is pretty much the antithesis of metal

I started with iron maiden, ac/dc, judas priest, etc. Discovered Venom after listening nothing but mothorhead for a year and a half, and it quickly became one of my favorites, though it is objectively shitty.

I dunno, i went to a metal festival on november; i don't get along with metalheads my age or younger.

>though it is objectively shitty.
I mean I don't listen to venom but if you and a large number of people enjoy it how shitty can it be?

Liking Detox so far. That Townsend dude I don't like. I hate those vocals.

Actually I used to listen to metal when I was teenage. My father played lots of Slayer. I was obsessed with Lamb Of God for some time. I liked them because they didn't do the cringy choruses thing, but still had heavy guitars. Couldn't find much music like that though. This track stayed with me for longest: youtube.com/watch?v=VOZltPXMO8c

Don't get me wrong; Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, and the singles LP are goat records. But they lost something on At War with Satan and never really got it back. There's two venoms now, tho

Metal is a world of its own, and even listeners who grew up on AOR such as Led Zeppelin and Quiet Riot seldom maintain a serious affectation for the stuff. Rock intellectuals invariably prefer punk, alternative, even hip-hop, and their disdain rankles the metal faithful. Metal's phallic narcissism has few parallels outside of X-rated movies, toilet art, and (oh yes) rap.

As one of those rock intellectuals, I remain unconverted. It never seems to occur to metal enthusiasts that the genre's melodramatics, virtuosity, and reverb-drenched approach are precisely what rock-and-roll was put on earth to save us from.

>That Townsend dude I don't like
It's the same guy on both tracks kek he was just super angry, bipolar and drugged out of his mind back then, now he has a family and he's at peace with himself
I'm happy for him but a lot of people wish he could still feel anger
Check out "Love?" it's my favourite song of his (by his syl project)
The whole album "city" is also god tier

lol

it's lit

To break it down, most professional rock critics perceive punk as dangerous and edgy, and metal as overstuffed Wagnerian drama.

It's actually a little ironic because the punk community is dominated by artsy liberal bohos and metal is a working class/white trash dominated genre.

Also gojira is kind of as heavy as lamb of god, has interesting songwriting and doesn't usually do choruses
Their lyrics can be kinda stupid but eh, english isn't their first language, they're trying their best

The fanbase is definitly 9gag-tier cringe tho

>The fanbase is definitly 9gag-tier cringe tho
haha yeah, I have noticed. Turned me off, actually. By the way, Turned Off is the best Death Grips track. Do you know bands that sound like it?

But that's exactly why critics don't like metal. In order to be a music or a film critic, you have to be an artsy left-wing Bohemian. It's kind of in the job requirements.

And it's not just metal of course. Take pop music. Madonna is a critical darling for over 30 years and Britney is not, because Madonna has always been "artsy".

Henry Rollins claimed metal is fake and nothing but image, but really, punks are 1000x more insufferable and image-obsessed than any metalhead ever. There's a million kinds of metal, but most all metalheads get along well. Punks invariably start a million shitty arguments about authenticity. Oh, you're not really punk if you wear this or have that haircut, and if you write fun-oriented songs ala Blink 182 and don't whine about Republicans in every other song, you're not really punk, and so forth.

>but most all metalheads get along well

Nah.

Politics aside, metalheads are just as autistic as punks about being the genre police and throwing the term "poser" around like it actually means anything outside of high school.

I don't know any bands that sound like death grips, and I'd be surprised if someone did, they definitly have a new and exciting sound. I'm just waiting for someone to water it down so it can hit mainstream and actually change where hip hop is headed

But it's interesting that you're talking about getting turned off, cause pic related (found in the comment section of turned off) is what stopped me for a long time from listening to dg, and still kinda does to this day

>getting turned off
...by a fanbase
Idk why I forgot these words

well I mean, the track itself is far from their typical sound, that's why i asked

I like a decent amount of metal but the genre is full of ridiculous autists. Not helped by the fact that most metal (even "extreme" metal) is remarkably safe tonally and structurally so it gets pretty fucking boring after a while.

>metal
sorry i'm not a nu-male

You just proved OP's point

>having fun with your friends on a friday night
>what is Kill 'em All