Who of you took accutane (isotretinoin) to fight their acne? at what age? what was your dosage...

who of you took accutane (isotretinoin) to fight their acne? at what age? what was your dosage? What side effects did you experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin#Mechanism_of_action
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

took it when i was 16. i think i did 40mg a day for 6 months or something. i dont remember. acne went away and never came back.

I took it for a while, but I didn't finish treatment because I was diagnosed with cancer half way through. (unrelated, it was genetically traced) While I was on it though, it worked pretty well. The only side effect I found was that my face was dry constantly, and the corners of my mouth kept getting scabbed up a bit; another thing was that you kept having to get a blood test every month. I don't remember the dosage I took, but if i had to guess it was two 10mgs a day. Also I was 16-17 at the time. My brother also went through treatment, and actually ended up finishing without a life threatening disease and he looks great. Hope this helped.

I took the 40mg when I was 17, went on for about 2 months. Made me face super dry.

Thanks for your replies. Also, did any of you grow during and after the therapy? I heard that this drug can stunt your growth so I'm a bit concerned (I'm 19 and thus almost fully grown, but still..)

that's tough. Hope you're doing fine by now

Took it at 16 for cystic acne, worked really well. Side effects were the usual, really dry face and my lips were always cracked and bled a lot. Worth noting, if you're prone to going bald, it can make you go through a full cycle of hair shedding, which kinda sucks.

Beware of your GI tract, mine hasn't been the same ever since. Can wreak havoc on the gut flora if you're unlucky. Works wonders on acne though

Lurking

I did it when i was 17, worst shit ever. First month of usage and your face will be ridden of acne, mine wasn't even that bad but it got worse with the isotretinoin. Worst part is that you couldn't even drink alcohol and at 17 that pissed me off. Didn't finished the treatment, I stopped tooking it at like 5 months and the acne eventually dissapeared

Took it when 15 or so and got dry lips from it, but not much more, or at least nothing severe enough to remember. Had to get a liver checkup beforehand.

I took it for a probably 6 months when i was like 14 or so. Worked well and saved me from having terrible acne scars. Havnt had a bad zit on my face since i was like 20. The side effects can be harsh but its worth the risk. I dont know if they are related, but i later developed eczema (age 30) and had early onset hair loss. Still on finasteride for that.

I was 17. Worst mistake I ever made. It made my hair fall out and never did recover after I stopped using it. While hair loss doesn't seem to be a common side effect with the drug, it did for me. And after I stopped taking it the acne eventually came back anyways. Went away on its own after 19-20. Also the dryness is horrible.

hair loss on accutane is rather common though. Usually the hair grows back after the therapy

Personal experience: Fucking dry skin every fucking where
Made me very anxious
Then i got really depressed from the accutane

My really bad zits went away after 8 months but wow. It was a terrible ride

60mg/day, 16yo, 1year, it was hell. I had suicidal thoughts, my whole body was fucked up and I couldn't be outside. Was it worth it? I don't know, it was harsh but the results are great, I was clean and looked like a normal person again.

Not for me it didn't. Losing your hair at 17 was soul crushing.

thanks, beat it last year

Accutane is extremely toxic and should not be consumed by humans. Fucking read its Mechanism of action.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin#Mechanism_of_action

Isotretinoin induces apoptosis through unknown mechanism of action. HOLY SHIT. WHY WOULD ANYONE KNOWINGLY CONSUME THIS. IT IS SO TOXIC IT KILLS CELLS FOR UNKNOWN REASONS, THERE IS NO SAYING WHAT OTHER EFFECTS THIS COMPOUND HAS ON YOUR BODY.

Took 40mg when I was 16 for a year. Your lips get super chapped but dear God does it work.

I took it from 13 to 16. 3 times 40g treatments.

Second one got fucked up because i did not take the pills everyday. I got liver problems and had to stop... Third treatment got rid of my acne.

I had depression, joint (mostly knees) pain. Also had lips dried and unable to heal for the treatment duration (I had a 3mm deep cut for the 6 months each time). I had one treatment during summer and my face burnt (second degree burn).

Altough it was hard, I am very happy I did it. My skin would have been all scar otherwise. My mother had 2 skin sanding because of her cystics acne. I was lucky she asked for the treatment before puberty hit.

I'd say go for it. Just use hydration cream, Blistex (it saved my life), and avoid sun.

Because severe acne is incredibly painful/embarrassing

its pretty bad. i took it for two sessions of six months. everything in your body will hurt. your joints wont work and your lips will peal off.

Started taking it when I was 16 the 10mg ones. Committed suicide and died for 1 1/2 minutes. Strongly recommend it also killed the acne. Warning you will use chapstick the rest of your life.

Can't remember the dosage but i didn't experience any side effects besides nosebleed and very dry skin overall. If you have acne that medication is the way to go. Avoid vitamin-A when you're on the shit.

my friend took it in in high school, and at the time we were roughly the same height, now in our late 20s hes a good deal shorter than me and he's starting to lose his hair. could be totally unrelated though. his acne did clear up. i had bad acne too, and a dermatologist told me to take it, and i was like fuck no. Its not worth it, there are other ways to treat acne. and don't take antibiotics for it either, it will just make it 10 times worse once you're off them, plus it gets resistant. Just be patient, it will get better, it may never go away, but it will get managable

god damn it I took this shit for a year. didn't know what it really does to you.

A trio of Clindamycin + doxycycline + benzoyl peroxide is effective and is nowhere near as toxic as Accutane

You are aware Accutane was RECALLED FROM THE US MARKET because it was so toxic, yes?

I don't live in the US, so no I was not aware

Can't take more than 20mg a day. I'd dry out. With the 20 sideeffects are dry lips (without lip balm they'd bleed) and some times little nosebleed. Nothing that concerning. But since i take it my nails grow like hell. I need to trim the finger nails 2 to 3 times a week

(Will elaborate on this when I've finished my wank)

Fucks you up mentally, not sure if I ever properly recovered or whether it exasibated pre-existing mental symptoms

17 years old; 20 mg. Side effects: decreased night vision, depression, and recklessness. Cleared up skin perfectly; would use again, no regrets.

>>But since i take it my nails grow like hell.
Don't fight it, soon you will become, the wolverine.

Same dosage here, and duration here. It came back after 3 months. Tried a second 6 months treatment, went away, and came back again.

All in all, the only thing that helped was time. I'm 26 now and my skin is relatively neat, not alot of scarring luckily. In the end, I wouldn't recommend the shit. Especially on sunny days I'd burn up and dry out instantly

was 16 years old, dose i cant remember anymore.
when i wasn't consistent with taking them, i got weird rash all over my body for some days (red spots)

took it probs from 16 - 21 in varrying doses, but maybe 20 on average.
acne went away almost compleatly really soon. side effect was dry skinn and lips especially. you can't leave the house without lip balm anymore. but damn it was worth it man, would do it again

ah yeh, forgot about the dry lips.
lips always bleeding

No idea about dosage. My face was a trainwreck. Used it for almost a year when I was about 16ish, got a very clean face afterwards. My lips were bleeding everyday, I am almost bald at 24 now. But boy did it get rid of my acne.

All in all, 8/10, would do again, no regrets.

Just don't drink soda, ya fucking neckbeards.

I took accutane (20mg) as a sophomore in high school. Begged my folks to let me see a dermatologist, had some bad self-image issues.
The worst of it was my skin becoming so dry that it began to flake off my face. I couldn't quit licking my lips so the entire area around my mouth became one big red blotch. Kids made fun of me, and whenI became suicidal as a side-effect of the drug, they ramped it up and egged me on to kill myself.
Don't take accutane if at all possible.

Year on 20 a day. Easy breeze cleared up completely after 7-8 months but had been pretty much 75% gone within 2 months. Dry skin but just moisturise regularly and lipbalm. Oh cant go in sun much but i cant anyway due to being super white.

From entire family who has been on it there have been no problems. A listed side effect is depression so maybe dont take it if you are already or have a predisposition to be.

is was on 90mg because I was 90kg at the time.
Course only lasted 3 months and acne didn't clear until last few weeks but it practically disappeared overnight.

>dry lips/skin
>nosebleeds

that's about it, cop yourself some blistex (best shit) and some Palmer's cocoa butter and just get into a good skin routine, it'll make your whole body look better 6 months after treatment too.

I had really bad back ache on it too, and joint pain/stiffening after sport, but I played football (soccer) competitively at the time so it only accentuated soreness i'd be getting anyway.

>it will get rid of acne
>finishing accutane coincided with me losing my virginity

coincidence? I think not