/classical/

Through the Night edition

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mdbjz#play

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eQlsmfirpbA
youtube.com/watch?v=fQdudICa-88&list=PLZj4RadToGJgPak30wUlXO7ESHWRljl7X
youtube.com/watch?v=QNk_A4ZoI30
youtube.com/watch?v=1WyA6Z2rGFY
youtube.com/watch?v=V3o7YNqjUxA
youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbJOE9zNjw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=eQlsmfirpbA
reposting this masterpiece on par with Beeth*ven, B*ach, M*zart, and P*tz*ld

stop

I don't know why you thought this acceptable to post before, much less now.

Jazz/rap fag here. Could someone hook me up with a mega of some 20th century avant garde "classical"? I'm taking about the Cages, the Schoenbergs, the stockhausens, the Feldmans, the Stravinskys (rite of spring + firebird plz). Also maybe throw in beethoven's 9th. I don't own a recording of that. I hope I'm not asking too much. I'd appreciate it guys, but i can live without it

>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces

Buddy

No

for fuck's sake just get spotify

DAILY REMINDER: Ravel was a genius.

alkan a shit

>smoker
can't have been that smart

>TalkClassical is literally R.eddit

Any other decent forums about classical?

Petzold

There's no decent places to discuss music anywhere online

How the fuck to I stretch my fingers that far and not hit other keys?

do you have small hands?

>handlets

Reminder that Vivaldi is overrated

Is that Beethoven's Moonlight sonata? That stretch is not that hard, and I'm a guitarist. JUST DO IT, user, I KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT!

can you seriously not reach a 9th? how old are you?

Tiny hand manlet nu male cuck

Drop piano and start tuba, tuba is fun

Anyone have an opinion on Gilbert Kaplan?

Petzold

Anyone followed this Classic FM Hall of Fame over the weekend?

Looks like we're going to get more butthurt over 'Russian hackers' again. Subtle one this time by surely more than coincidence every single work by a Russian composer has been up significantly on last year. Butthurt levels probably going off the scale if 1812 Overture is no.1.

>listening to the radio

I know, but it's kinda a yearly thing for me now even if I stopped bothering with radio years back.

It was kinda cringe when they brigaded it with vidya soundtracks, but this is top keks, looks as blatant as it gets.

Any decent women composers?

I'll get back to you when my sides have stopped orbiting.

>listening to (((mass media))) run playlists interspersed with 20 commercials

Also Russian hacking is a meme you shitlib.

back to r/The_Donald with you

>Classic FM Hall of Fame
Does anyone actually put any stock in that?
>Russian Hackers
At least they're promoting classical music in place of le vidya game soundtracks that would otherwise get in thanks to organised internet voting blocs

What the fuck actually goes on inside the mind of a modern/post-modern composer?

Not since it got raided over muh vidya sountracks and started considering film scores in the top 100 of any sort of classical list.

I'm surprised Sup Forums in general hasn't had a go at it before. HoF like an open goal for anyone that seriously tries brigading it.

Fuck off you traitorous Soros shill

/r/the_donald is cancer, but honestly this is a conservative general.

because Classic FM is reddit:the classical music station.
/classical/ listens to Radio 3

This desuBut Seeger and Boulanger are excellent

This. Radio 3 has been the premier broadcaster of classical music and arts and culture programming for 50 years. Classic FM is just a competitor that originated in the mid-90s to provide popular, crossover, easy listening classical music mixed with lighthearted DJ talk for the masses to put on as background noise. And it worked. They've managed to score a 3.5% audience share compared to Radio 3's 1.4% with this dumbed down format that now features Christmas carols all throughout December and an appalling amount of soundtracks to modern mainstream films and video games in regular rotation.

>Now if fuck this consonance

kaija saariaho is a great contemporary one

Wasn't trying to defend them, just a yearly thing for me. I know what they do to their music normally with radio edits and 'classical' mystery meat-tier pieces.

Although..

>listening to radio, even if radio 3
>not going to live performances instead

I find Radio 3's taste kinda dry.

Great analogue recordings from the 40s - 70s are the place to be desu senpai.

There's too much non-classical on there these days. Don't mind some jazz, but fuck all this world music and folk shit.

Radio is literally just another mind control device.
The BBC is an unforgivable outlet of government propoganda and globalist shilling.
Radio 3 is a prententious snoozefest of the usual suspects and horrible 21st century compositions featured in some sort of misguided display of the station's "relevance" in the modern art world.
This terrible format is made even worse by the forced inclusion of jazz and world 'music' because "muh progressive diversity" and horrible radio dramas because "muh art and culture".
Literally the only people who listen to this schlock are fedora wearing tryhards and geriatrics who still don't know what the internet is.

>live performances
>not listening to old meme recordings from the comfort of your own home and lamenting about how they don't make them like they used to instead of paying to sit in a big hall where the audience provides a Cage-esque reinterpretation of pieces by coughing up half a lung every 3 minutes

Holy christ get a grip

How long does it take to recognize immediatly notes at a first glance? So far I've only done solfage for 3 days, 1 hours everyday, and I can name every notes, no matter where, in both violin and bass cleff in about 1 to 2 seconds.
How long does it usually take to become a natural at recognizing notes?

>paying to sit in a big hall where hte auidence provides a Cage-esque reinterpretation of pieces by coughing up half a lung every 3 minutes.

Spotted the only goes to popular concerts fag

Opera is where it's at then with minus the geriatrics coughing their guts up in pauses and minus the general poorfags priced out of any decent production going.

Any first-rate, non-modernised production at a world class opera house or festival is literally patrician-tier.

Yeah, and I can't stand Reich or Glass or this new age shit either.

Now that Youtube has full albums uploaded at Opus 160kb/s, it's super easy to find almost anything.

Here's what I do now:

>Follow a reviewer or seek out reviews on Amazon or somewhere for an album you're interested in

>Search Youtube for the artist, filter by Channel, select the one that says X - Topic

>Click Albums

>Bam, you've got CDs and full fucking boxsets arranged in playlists automatically

I don't even know why people bother with Spotify or radio anymore. It's especially great if you're browsing different performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=fQdudICa-88&list=PLZj4RadToGJgPak30wUlXO7ESHWRljl7X

you are entirely correct but the vehicle they use isn't radio 3 lol

>Any first-rate, non-modernised production at a world class opera house or festival is literally patrician-tier.

I wish I could call you a retard (I don't like your tone in general) but this is literally true. A chair in a world class opera house is truly the throne of the enlightened.

Is there any news source free of that though?

Same reason I gave up on going to the Proms desu. I know it's good for a cheap concert by some decent international orchestras but the amount of shit postmodernist pieces they try and ram into programmes now are just stupid. They never sound that good and usually get a shit response even from the more liberal audiences.

But that said, the absolute car crash of that commie Ring they did at Bayreuth last year was hilarious for the audience reaction. Gives you hope that at least some places still exist where the audience are redpilled as fuck about any attempt to shove liberal BS into traditional art. I don't remember hearing a single clap over the heckling for the producer's curtain call.

This.

Why do we even have mega links in the OP? Who downloads music anymore?

It's a shame some just outside that bracket are going downhill though. ENO has been a letdown for years despite the top-tier venue.

Still happy I've never seen a shit Covent Garden production though, even their modern, out-of-context Tannhäuser from a few years ago was actually pretty good.

Liberalism is a cancer on the world. Sadly not even classical music is free from it.

absolutely not

i watch euronews in the morning, they sometimes have a brussels circle jerk but they're generally quite good

I sorta experienced the same thing here in LA. We have an annual performance of Beethoven's 9th at the Hollywood Bowl, John Williams (the movie fag) was conducting. The first half was some post modern 12 tone percussive bullshit that his wife wrote and went on for fucking ever, you could see the entire audience of like 10000s just totally bored and inattentive. The 2nd half was the 9th and pretty much everyone with glued, even though it was a middling performance at best.

Classical music is NOT dying, it's the fucking theoretical bullshit they're trying to stuff down our throats that's killing us.

I still download FLACs if I find a really good album I want to archive, I think that's still higher quality, but 160kb/s Opus is already very, very good compared to the other streaming shit.

This. It's surprisingly underrated for a channel that should by any other means be a Europhile mouthpiece.

Surely there are sources that are less sucked than the new york times, npr, pbs, cable news

>implying it's worth watching any modern Wagner production and not just taking refuge in golden oldie meme recordings instead

>last year
That wasn't a new production user. The Parsifal was the new one which was literally Refugees Welcome: The Production

I used to say read them all and form your own opinion.

Now I say read none of them and just be your own anchor. It's all fucking bullshit, and I say this as a conservative, I don't read Breitbart or Drudge and I never watch cable news unless there's a legit happening. Even so, I've been far more prescient than the media for years.

I don't think it's an optimal solution at all and it requires experience and judgement, but that's the best we can do in this totally fucked media environment.

You may be missing the best interpretation that has ever been. You never know when the right genius conductor will meet the perfect orchestra for him, ending up with priceless performances.

Also unless you've got a top tier sound system you can't really beat a real orchestra: you know how much did he cared about the volume of his orchestration, and how much detail is imbued in his craft, You should respect him for that and listen to his music the way he intended for it to be heard: not in your shitty basement, but rather in a glorious, majestic theater.

>terrible singers with typically too-slow conducting
>the way he intended
>falling for spooks like this anyways
faggot

It's stuck in a rut of abstract and postmodern style pieces with composers trying to be edgy and 'break the mould'. If we can find a way past it without just churning out ad nauseam neo-Romantic or Rach pastiches then we could be make contemporary classical decent, just don't know how we get there though.

But yeah, I agree it's not a dying genre. You just have to look harder to find the good and unexpected. A lot of Eastern European radio orchestras often tour the regional venues over here and it's surprisingly good compared the top-tier elite or popular ones. I've seen some amazing performances at venues I really wouldn't expect to see something of that quality like a programme by I think was the Warsaw National Radio Orchestra or something. Straightforward programme with some Dvorak dances, a Chopin concerto and Beethoven 7th. They absolutely went for it though and ended up playing at least four encores of traditional Polish folk dances with the whole hall on it's feet. Incredible performance and atmosphere compared to generic BBC or London orchestras. Completely sold out as well, if more contemporary performances were like that I think more new people would go.

>terrible singers with typically too-slow conducting
You can avoid directors that never satisfied you, but you should still keep giving a chance to new artists emerging from teh conservatories. It's that easy to miss the performance of your life.

>falling for spooks like this anyways
We're talking about the aesthetic value of listening to classical music live in a thread for the appreciation for classical music: we were in the spooked territory from the beginning.

Occasionally they get it right though. Lehnhoff's touring Parsifal production was actually really good for a modernist interpretation. Although that isn't really a contemporary production or one of these recent shit-tier liberal ones.

But that said yeah, the meme ones are generally better, even that 'traditional' Met one from a several years ago was fucking awful.

Central Eastern Europe has been the shelter of conservative culture for a long time desu. Plus the women are hot as balls.

One avenue that might work is the Ravel model, his experiments with modal and pentatonic, jazz elements, etc created a very unique sound that was never really picked up by others before being smothered by the serialists. A lot of his music sounds way more modern than "post modern" music to me, but of course Bolero is what the faggots latched on to.

However I don't know how a new Ravel could possibly arise in the current environment, he didn't come out of nowhere either.

I'm happy I missed it for a reason. I don't think I could have survived seeing my favourite opera get butchered like that without trying to letterbomb the so-called 'producer'.

>Even so, I've been far more prescient than the media for years.

How do I become like this?

I hate streaming.

There's been a lot of great Wagner conducting on record for the past 20 years, but just about every recording I've heard, from broadcasts to studio, have had extremely variable singing. And most of it ranged from acceptable, to bad.

It really isn't so much about the conductor.

I mean, it's possible that a bunch of new and great singers emerge, but considering the track record of the last few decades, it isn't looking too great.

I think it's mostly about our current environment not being a great one for aspiring opera singers. Comparatively, anyway.

I don't think it's any coincidence desu that nearly all my favourite orchestras the moment are Eastern or Central European ones. Recordings as well, Budapest Festival Orchestra have produced some god-tier Beethoven recordings. Where did they get it so right? Saw an annual free one in Prague last year and most of the crowd was generally younger as well, compared to the general mass of over 70s you get here.

Read history. And read it with skepticism, for example when it says "intellectuals were purged", ask 'who were the ones who labeled them intellectuals?'

It's only by seeing the clear false dichotomies and fake narratives in history that you gain the perspective to call them out in your present time. And this isn't even ideological either, you can be left or right and still learn from this.

I have to stress that you must keep your skepticism at all times though. A pretty easy example: Everyone uses the example of Galileo as a way of saying "Science rules, religions and conservatives BTFO!", however if you dig into the actual arguments, Galileo was adamant that Kepler's elliptical orbital laws were bunk and that all orbits were perfectly circular, which went completely against observations and meant his fellow scientists couldn't argue for him at all against the Church. His failure came from insisting on bad science.

Eventually you'll learn the typical psychological pathways people take in different situations and can preempt them in getting there. Subtlety is always the first thing to die.

Berg

youtube.com/watch?v=QNk_A4ZoI30

How exactly would you say you apply that mode of thought to analyzing current affairs?

Suppose one way you can apply some of the above is to why people are using labels and what they gain from doing it. Pay attention to what people get labelled and ask why they're trying to shift their position by using certain labels. Look at modern day social justice types attacking second-wave feminists for example over their views on trans women. They lump them in with the right and conservatives to try and normalise their contemporary opinion about transgender people when in reality there's nothing remotely conservative about the people they're accusing of being 'conservatives'. Especially in the context that they were the previous generation's radical liberals. See loads of it on both sides of the spectrum these days as well as history generally being taken wildly out of context by (usually) liberals.

I used to play trumpet in my school band when I was little, and I was thinking about getting back into it when my braces come off. Are there any good trumpet pieces? I'm just really used to strings being the focus

Interesting.

What are some examples of liberals taking history out of context? Pardon my ignorance on the topic, but I genuinely don't know. Why are they seemingly so dominant? Are they really as destructive to society as I've heard? I didn't even realize liberalism was a big thing until I went to school as I grew up in Missouri.

Generally most of their non-academic arguments on slavery (although it's different in the US example) or colonialism don't hold up to proper scrutiny. They're far too quick to judge slave owners, slave traders or others who generally promoted or were lead figures in imperialism or colonialism by later standards on the issue. There's far too many efforts at putting people on trial today for not meeting contemporary norms essentially past norms. It's like if a future school of history decides to vilify all car owners in a future context and blame them for climate change. They'd probably fail to fully grasp that those generations grew up with heavy marketing and cultural influences promoting car ownership as a fundamental of independent living etc. It happens all the time in history where you get issues that become controversial later on but fully accepted social norms in their own context.

Other things too like exaggerating the role of people in certain fields today who were exceptions to a rule because it fits their contemporary narrative. I think history in general will look back at the present era as one of the worst periods of revisionism and poor historical method. It's as bad and arguably has overshot even some of the big 60s trends in historiography for applying later schools of thought and social sciences to the past.

They're so dominant largely for a mix of good old fashioned nepotism and being a heavily politicised generation in the 1960s that has grown up to force it's beliefs into an overly impressionable younger generation. Their efforts to keep on fighting the old generation of postwar conservatives are still going on decades after they defeats them, yet they won't stop pushing the same message to the young which they get even more radical about which is pretty much how we're getting SJWs.

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=1WyA6Z2rGFY

Pauline Oliveros
Wendy Carlos
Bebe Barron
Cathy Berberian
?

this. Every liberal/leftist/socialist/Democrat is cancer.

>"Wendy" Carlos
>women

>tfw the department won't let you tune one if their pianos in 1/4th comma meantone to see if anyone notices

fuck it do it anyway

I would but I need to be as nice as possible to everyone in the department so they can help me unretire a guy to sit on my thesis committee. Before you ask, kidnapping him is out of the question in this case.

Do it

>you were wrong
>they won't fucking kick you out for such a little infraction

>you were right
>if you become famous people will tell this anecdote to historians and biographers, people will think that you were a genius all along

unless your department is populated by complete retards, someone will notice

if you ain't on RED you ain't patrician son

How hard it is to acheive the contrapunctual perfection we can find in Beethoven's late sonatas?

It's candy for my ears.

So, any good double bass pieces?

Are Schubert's String Quartet's a meme? It's not that I don't like them, but the lack of polyphony is so stark, even the better of them sound like they could just as easily be for string orchestra, the lack of crosstalk kinda makes the quartet setting irrelevant. Schubert's lieder background is very evident in this way.

By contrast, I really like Brahms' quartets, and I see a lot of classical fags say they have a hard time of appreciating them.

I need a song or some songs that are close to Holst's "Mars."

Something that can channel some sort of anger and can embody the aggression felt in a roman Colosseum

youtube.com/watch?v=V3o7YNqjUxA
youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbJOE9zNjw

How do I into music theory? I feel like my appreciation of this music is only surface level...