Yo Sup Forums, im kinda thinking of going linux (just trying for begin) which distro should i go for...

yo Sup Forums, im kinda thinking of going linux (just trying for begin) which distro should i go for? I've tried ubuntu and really think i should go for mint but i think its pretty noobish and wanted something slightly more challenging

linux is as hard as you want to make it. you can be a hardcore motherfucker on ubuntu or a noob on slackware.

if you want a serious challenge, try arch or gentoo and prepare to accidentally fuck some shit up at first. if you want something like mint/ubuntu that doesn't try quite as hard to be user friendly, go debian with something like lxde as the window manager.

LINUX IS TRASH DO NOT USE

it ruined my computer

Basically this
Shut the fuck up

was really serious about trying Arch but was unable to make a persistent flash of it (dont really want to go dual boot yet, just wanna play around untill i feel ready, last time i dual boot win/linux was a tryhard to uninstall linux)

well it certainly isn't for everyone mate

Arch is the only answer. You'll actually learn alot. If you make it work.

any experience with persistent usb flashing?
maybe you could lend me a hand

There's only so much I can help you with. Just google flash drive boot Arch and watch some videos, then try to do what they are.

i know how to make a boot of linux,
cant get around the persistent drive
been googling a lot, guess ill keep googling till i find something, thanks for the help though!

spoken like a true newfag. gentoo/slack or get the fuck out

Install Gentoo

Maybe do what I did and get some arch package which comes with some desktop and is a bit easier to install but you get the arch experience

>hardcore on ubuntu
wat

I can confirm that Gentoo is user friendly

Debian, best distro

i run xubuntu.

cs major @ top 5 in us

Why not arch

just because it's ubuntu doesn't mean you cant hand-compile everything and run fucking weird configs

Bro why? Honestly man, linux sucks ass. Why would you condemn yourself to using shitty ass freeware?

I run a dual boot config on my laptop
the latest win10 config forced some driver updates that fucked up the install and rendered it unusable. I'm going to have to devote an hour or two to reinstalling or fixing that.

the debian side? it's been running flawlessly since day 1. boots faster, more flexible, and 'apt-get upgrade' will never fuck you up unless you're on testing.

Yea but ubuntu is so damn user friendly that usually anyone that does anything a bit more complicated on linux chooses something else, also ubuntu comes with a lot of useless junk that the "hc" users couldn't care less about

idk man, i've tried a ton of linux distros. I know my way around linux too, so I'm not a noob. I know my apt-get and my bash commands. I know how to use package managers. I like linux for how it is rewarding to advanced users. But I hate how shitty the software is. Sure, you can get chrome and firefox, but libre office sucks dick. Gimp sucks dick. Idk what the freeware alternative to adobe premiere would be, but im sure it sucks dick too.

Windows can be shitty sometimes, but at most it takes like 30 minutes to re-install. If you know what you are doing, you can be preventive and just restore a back up in like 10 mins. The shitty software is just such a turnoff to me.

>knows way around linux
>uses apt-get
>doesn't know what wine is

Sure you do bro

haha wine is fucking annoying to configure. And most games are shite while running on wine. Try again fag. Wine is a joke.

>implying we were talking about games
Sure it's a joke when you dont have an idea how it works, nice try but think you should go back to windows

Most games have linux builds also these days

just use windows 10 fags

>implying we aren't talking about what makes linux inferior

Listen man, I dig open source stuff, and linux is cool. But you gotta get off your high horse and look. Linux is an open-source freeware piece of shit. And like most freeware, it is shitty and ugly.

Sure it's not optimal for everything and everyone but most certainly not a piece of shit and if you are a normalfag that doesn't understand anything about linux it can be hard

Can anyone tell me the advantages of ubuntu over windows?

Ubuntu, not that much but linux, everything

Linux is just as piss poor as any other operating system. All you Microsoft fan boys think Windows is so great? Try disabling Cortana, or making it so your computer doesn't map your network and send the data back to Microsoft...

You want to be challenged by Linux? Try setting up your firewall to be silent but secure both inbound and outbound. Tune your kernel to use memory efficiently. Try automating a process using ansible. "The Distro" doesn't really do much other than determine what kind of package repository you have to choose from. The only decently "challenging" distribution is Gentoo, where basically anything you want to use needs to be compiled from source first. Even that is fairly mundane once you understand what's going on.

If you want a real challenge, try and harden a linux system using all levels of all STIGs from DISA. You will have a non functioning computer, but you'll learn a lot.

Try OpenSUSE.

do I look german to you

if linux is ugly, that's your fault.
it could litterally look like anything,
unlike windows.