Are Portuguese, Spanish and Italian the only languages that both people can talk to and understand each other?

Are Portuguese, Spanish and Italian the only languages that both people can talk to and understand each other?

Other urls found in this thread:

pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itália
it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italia
youtube.com/watch?v=DulXWXAOkEU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scandi languages are all pretty much dialects of each others. Also German and Dutch and Spanish and Chilean.

Reading is okay but I can't understand jackshit of spoken poortugese.

I can kind of understand Scottish people if they speak slowly

I can understand British and Australian people

I can understand the main idea from Ukrainian and Belorussian speech and all slavic language texts.

This. Even more so if spoken by ppl from Portugal

I can understand some Turkic languages
I can also understand Ukrainian and Belarussian a little, South and West Slavic languages aren't clear enough for me(excluding Polish as I learn it)

That's a little impressive. When did you learn English?

Yeah, portuguese sound much better but they have a very thick accent

I usually understand Spanish. A long time ago I only watched anime dubs in Spanish because it had no subtitles / dubbing in Portuguese on Youtube and understood 90%+ (taking off the slang)

Italian also I can understand about 60% ~ 70%,

While Portuguese people can perfectly understand Spanish people it's funny how Spanish cucks can't understand us. Must be on purpose or autism?...

Portuguese is more phonetically complex than Spanish. You have most of our sounds but we don't have yours. Spanish phonetics are baby's first language.

Italian and Romanian

You can understand spanish if they speak very slowly and clearly, portuguese and romanian might as well be chinese, not even a single word

Slavs can understand their languages to some degree, of course it's easier between Slavs who speak languages belonging to the same sub-branch (Western, Eastern, Southern), but we can communicate on some basic level even between these sub-groups.

The Dutch can understand a lot of German. The Germans cant really understand us though.

But can you read Portuguese?

pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itália

it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italia

Seeing texts in Italian I can understand normally. I look for documentaries in Italian too and I understand very well. I think that who speaks Spanish will also understand the documentary below

youtube.com/watch?v=DulXWXAOkEU

Finnish, Sami and Estionian?

No, I can't understand Italian. A little, but the sound is too alien. I kinda of can read it though, more or less.

Yes, written portuguese is much easier to understand

I can't understand spanish at all, they speak too fast.

Italian has some pretty similar words so it's a little easier, but still hard. I mean, if I heard two italians talking to eachother I might understand broadly what they are talking about, the general subject, but not exactly what they're saying.

I can read a bit of Chinese and understand it but cannot understand them orally

I'm Japanese

Do Slovenes learn Serbo-Croatian as a second language in school or is it so similar that everyone understands it?

It's quite easy to understand Dutch and Danish, Swiss and Austrian. But reading it is even easier

If your language is mutually intelligible with others than it is pretty much a non-language.

I heard that lithuanians are the purest aryans in europe and can understand sanskrit

Some linguists say that among all modern Indo-European languages Lithuanian preserved the largest number of features shared with Proto-Indo-European, that RECONSTRUCTED hypothetical common ancestor of all Indo-European languages), but definitely neither Proto-Indo-European nor Sanskrit (tha already diverged from P-I-Eu) aren't mutually intelligible with Lithuanian. Still, Balto-Slavic languages share more words with Sanskrit than, let's say, English, for example in my native Polish "two" is "dwa" [pronunciation "dva"], and it was "dva" in Sanskrit. Polish "fire is "ogień", today the Sanskritised word for "fire" in Hindi is "agni", etc. etc.

Interestingly, although many Spanish nouns have diverged from Latin, their respective adjectives are very close to Latin, and therefore closer to IE. For example:
> son
Lat. Filius > Sp. hijo (n), filial (adj)
> fire
Lat. Ignis > Sp. fuego (n), ígneo (adj)
> father
Lat. Pater > Sp. padre (n), paternal (adj)
> game
Lat. Ludum > Sp. juego (n), lúdico (adj)

Of course, all our languages are related in this way, but the point is that Balto-Slavic languages are closer to PIE than, let's say, Germanic/Romance languages. Even Spanish is quite distant - you are right that a lot of your vocabulary comes from Latin, but the grammatical structure of your language is quite different. Actully Polish is much closer to Latin in this regard, for example we have the same case system, including that Latin "vocativus", while Spanish basically lost its cases, excluding some artifacts like your pronouns. And remember that Latin was already a distant descendant of PIE.

:0

Don't know about Sami, but Finns and Estonians understand each other to some extent.

Also, some words and phrases don't actually mean the same thing in Estonian that they do in Finnish. For example, the Estonian word for "mold" means "government" in Finnish and the phrase "don't waste the space" in Estonian means "don't rape the corpse" in Finnish.

Portuguese has all the vowels unlocked, and Spanish is the trial version.

Jokes aside, It's actually a bit impressive that two neighbouring countries with essentially the same linguistic root came to develop such stark contrast, accent-wise. Especially when we're so isolated from everyone else.

I can't understand italian, and hardly portuguese at normal speed.

bulgarian and russian are not too far off from one another iirc

portuguese and italian = Easy tier
French = medium/hard tier
Romanian = MADNESS!!!!

I can understand Spanish just fine because it feels like it's a subset of Portuguese, in a way. Like, every sound they make we can also make, and they have a very clear rhythm and vocalisation. It's like Brazilian Portuguese in overdrive with the openness and vocal simplification.

Italian is weird because it sounds like Spanish, but they use what seem like very archaic words, so I usually understand French a bit better. I guess vocabulary trumps pronunciation for me.

Romanian is infuriating, because they sound slavic, like we do, use romance grammar, like we do, and I can understand all their sounds, but I can't make a single fucking word of it, despite having the feeling I should be understanding them perfectly.

What, for me Italian is the easiest

All Yugoslavic languages are basically the same despite what some of them say.

The Nordics are also closer together than the Romances.

I speak fluent Swedish and i understand all the Nordic languages except Icelandic.

Switch your Flag with ours, and put French on top of Italian and that's me.

Galician is literally Castillian'd Portugese.
Or maybe Portugese is a heavily corrupted version of Galician.
Wakaranai desu

Portuguese has a small extra French influence than rural Galician, which is basically just rustic Portuguese with different spelling.

Urban Galician is basically Portunhol and uglier than both. I really dislike what they did to Galician in the urban centres.

What about Russian, Ukranian, and Belarusian?

Spanish and portugal were really isolated from each other for a long time. The mountains in Extramadura and poverty of Portugal, entiendes¿

Same language with autistic post-1991 nationalism spceial snowflake syndrome

I get it, but if Italian/Spanish had developed in the same circumstances as Portuguese/Spanish, it'd be less weird.

Euro Portuguese and Spanish are quite literally the most different-sounding languages out of the romance categories, accent-wise.

Knowing nothing of geography or vocabulary you wouldn't say that Portugal/Spain/French/Italian were a gradient, and would probably bet on Spanish/Italian/French/Portuguese instead. It's very weird to me.

>spanish, catalan and galician are all the same language

El maleducado, señores

We can communicate with Swedes easily both written and spoken. Written Danish is virtually the same as Norwegian, but it's hard to understand spoken Danish sometimes. If you spend some time there you start getting accustomed to it though. They, on the other hand, seem understand us fairly well.

>norwegian
100% mutually intelligible
>danish
text 100% mutually intelligible, spoken mutually intelligible if they talk slowly
>icelandic
can recognize some words
>finnish
0%, completely different
>german, dutch
can understand general meaning of texts, maybe like french spanish

I can understand most of the italian speaking, but it is far easier once written.

Slavic languages
I understand Bulgaro-macedonian
I understand Slovene
I understand written Russian, Belarussian, Ukrainian, Czechoslovakian, Polish