Ask your music and theory questions, get them answered, share ideas, learn how to get started on playing an instrument...

Ask your music and theory questions, get them answered, share ideas, learn how to get started on playing an instrument, learn what to do from your current skill, and whatever else.
Come in and stay a while,
I'm pretty all around with instruments in most styles but have a direct focus on Jazz, and many anons have joined in on the last few threads to share and answer as well,

Music Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/johnny-keyboard
soundcloud.com/6omery/
youtube.com/watch?v=su6UIDX9yqM&t
strawpoll.me/12229476
youtu.be/dP-EbkenprM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do modes?

If I play c Dorian
Is it like
D,e,f,g etc

Or
C,d,e,f,g etc (transposed up a step)

How do modes?

If I play c Dorian
Is it like
D,e,f,g etc

Or
C,d,e,f,g etc (transposed up a step)

Thank you music theory jesus

Close, it's the other way around. So lets talk avout the key of C since it's easy, the modal scales are:
C ionian
D dorian
E phrygian
F lydian
G mixolydian
A aeolian
B locrian

D dorian: D E F G A B C D
G mixolydian: G A B C D E F F
And so on.

Helpful I now understand modal theory perfectly.
Thank you for your answer.

Any thoughts on self-correcting and self-learning notation and sight reading.
(Have BA) just shit at sight reading.

Prime choices for eye candy by the way. Musicfag approves.

I'd just work through a sight singing book from one end to the other, like I would to learn any patterns. Be sure to have a CD of it, and do one run of a page with the cd and another acapella. Eventually the pitches will come naturally, though it'll take a month or two of doing this to catch up to your past theory classes.

C Dorian:
c d Eb F g a° Bb

Can I learn to play the piano by myself? How?
Also, how old are you, when did you start to play an instrument and how much do you practice per day?

Yes you can. A private instructor can expediate the process and eliminate room for mistakes, but a method book followed correctly can set you on the right path.
25, started 16 years ago, and practice every other day, but when I do I be sure to set goals for my time as to improve in the same fashion as practicing every day.

Are you professional or an amateur?

So major intervalic pattern spaces superimposed a tone below?

Professional. Focus on community programs, giving lessons at a third of the average high prices and running a few community ensembles. Gigging every so often when I can, considering getting more back into the scene for the summer.

Disregard that shit.
Thought I knew what I was saying

Only for dorian. Phrygian would be three below, lydian 4, mixolydian 5, aeolian 6, and locrian 7. They're just scales starting on scale degrees of a major/ionian scale.

Having trouble making good filter envelopes on my synth. Most of my sounds have an extremely unpleasant harsh sound upon attack, despite playing with the volume envelope for ages. Is this a common thing for beginners with a simple solution? They only way I've found to eliminate it is to damp the hell out my timbres at ever point in the envelope, but it leaves everything sounding dull af.

What you using?

Are you using either a physical, or a program with a virtual compressor?
Really all I could recommend is playing with the setting levels, especially attack and threshold.

What do you want it to sound like?
ADSR English to you?

synth1 inside fl studio.

Yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to just be a 'growing pains' thing. Time to turn some knobs :D

Looking for an electronic harpsichord type of sound.

Yeah, I get the concept of ADSR, but I rarely have the intuition to purposefully effect a sound with it.

wanna rate my soundcloud?

soundcloud.com/johnny-keyboard

Nice!

You sound like Robert Plant.

Start with presets and twiddle.

Start with attack, decay, sustain, then resonance.
What are those aspect like In the original sound?
How would that look as an Adsr shape.

Now make that shape. :)
Synthesis is that simple.

Eventually you'all ditch the presets.

Start with a pluck, sweep out the low end
I'll assume, not at synth.

Fastish atk, low-med decay, low-mid sus. Sweep through resonance til you find so,etching close and tune to taste.

Sorry it couldn't be more helpful

This is nice af

>i would put up mine but it seems others on here actually make decent music

Neat. Echo is pretty overpowering though, I'd really like to hear a lot more bottom to the sound, it sounds like there's a lot on the top, volume wise, but very little on the bottom, I'd give it more volume to appease the pyramid of sound. If you're familiar enough with the drum sounds, I'd also like to hear more microfills in the spaces between melody and solo, it'd make the charts more gripping. Check out some old Rock & Roll, rhythm and blues, and Phil Collins if that's your cup of tea, lots of good microdrums going on in those styles.

Do it my friend, there's no judging going on here, only comments and suggestions.

Why is it that something as beautiful as mathematics forbids the existence of an equally tempered musical scale which would happen to contain the first natural harmonics of its fundamental note??

seriously guys?

I'll explain a bit: we want something equally tempered, it means that the ratio of the frequencies of two consecutive notes is always the same (for usual western scales, it's 2^(1/12) so that the scale is divided in 12 equal intervals) but we could imagine other scales with something other than 12 becoming the number of intervals we cut the octave in...

on the other hand, the first natural harmonics of a note (the note you get when you play the harmonics on a guitar, for example putting your finger at half of the string length, or at a third, or even at a fifth) are, in frequency, simple multiples of the fundamental note (string picked with no left hand finger on it): here the ratio is 2, 3, 4, 5, ... you get the "perfect fifth" one octave before the natural 3rd harmonic: its frequency ratio is 3/2 (=1.5)
the same goes for the perfect 3rd: natural harmonic is 5, two octaves before, you get 5/4.

hence, "perfect" intervals correspond to frequency ratios that are arithmetically simple fractions

and guise, the mathematics fuck it all up when it states that any equally tempered ratio is a number x that divides the octave (2) in a number n of parts, meaning that 2=x^(1/n)
(so that x^n = 2)

and these number can NEVER be fractions.

fuck.

I have like a 61 keyed keyboard but all the songs I want to learn are like 88 keys, anyway around this? New to piano here

soundcloud.com/6omery/

>u asked for it

Salam Alaykum MY FRIENDS(not actual muslim lol,), I’m an upcoming youtube sensation. My name is BelgianBalr. I'm from Belgium(Duh! :')) and I love Balr(the brand for you fedoras.). Check out my account here: youtube.com/watch?v=su6UIDX9yqM&t . I MAKE FIFA VIDEOS WHERE I EMULATE REAL LIFE FOOTBALL. TIKI TIKI!! Check out my videos my broskis. Keep lifting
Cheers

We process sounds differently according to our tastes. The temperament we have now is perfect to us since every major and minor scale is viable due to the tension being the same in every scale.

When we didn't have this, the F# major scale in particular was hideously unusable, which is why it's rare to find charts written for that key on piano before "modern" tempering. The imperfections and cheating of mathematics is how intervals such as major thirds and tritones can be pleasing to us.

This is super interesting

i wish I knew more in the way of music theory

That's not bad user. There are a lot of different influences going on in your backing track, and even though a couple of tracks clash rarely, the majority of it is pretty chill. I appreciate the rapping actually being on key to the instruments, since barely any shitty pop rappers pay attention to tonality.
I saw you like using fade ins on the tracks, instead of that I think having it start right on volume while introducing new instruments by muffling them and gradually unmuffling them.

+1 to your Miles Davis track, if you flesh out a rap jazz fusion it could be really cool. You've got a nice ear.

Getting back into alto sax. Self taught. Any suggestions?

how to play the brown noise

Avoid the common double embochoure, keep your fingers close to the keys at all times, use 2 1/2 strength reeds on a hard rubber mouthpiece (favorite is Meyer 5, cheaper than the jody jazz pieces). Get an omnibook up to your level and learn a song a week, the standard is Charlie Parker, but Miles Davis' Eb omnibook is great and isn't as rhythmically complex.

how do I finger a minor?

Varies from person to person, you need an amp capable of very low frequencies, like a subwoofer, and find the frequency in which you feel vibration solely on your abdomen and possibly feet if you're close. The vibrations will eventually stimulate the intestines and cause the brown devil to knock on your ass's door.

Amazing. Thank you so much. I just got back into it a few days ago, stoked.

Visit your local day care, grab a guitar, and play A C and E.

sure, and i'm absolutely not saying we should avoid equal tempering to have "more pure intervals" - actually a piano is the perfect example of an artistic blur in frequencies to match both equal tempering and the closest natural interval! and the sound of it is just gorgeous!

but still, it's hard to admit that the equal-temperament fifth sounds correct because 2^(7/12) is ALMOST equal to 1.5... and the third 2^(4/12) is ALMOST 1.25... it just looks like a fucking scam!

Thanks for the feedback man!
Ill take the fade in thing into account.
Im planning on doing some more jazzy stuff

I used to play flute and inherited a really nice electronic guitar. Where can I go to learn how to play guitar?

Do it, it's rarely done, but (Cool)Jazzrap is one of my favorite things. I might even look you up later on, you've got a chill tambre, like when Miles would talk about his tragedies on interviews with the corresponding track in the back.

I play some drums, not great but servicable
Anyone on here have advice on playing faster notes cleanly

Guitar is one of the easiest instruments to learn, but hardest to really master, especially in Jazz. Youtube is one of the best places to start, pick up a chord book, a method book, and get to playing. Avoid tabs, as they inhibit your learning growth later on.

>avoid tabs
^^^^^^^^^

strawpoll.me/12229476

well?

Practice snare rudiments, and be sure you're holding your sticks correctly.

Find the point where the stick balances on the first joint from the tip of your index finger. When youve found it, grasp the sticks about an inch or one thumbs length down from that point, and be sure your grip is mainly with your index finger and thumb, with your other three fingers acting more like barriers to allow the sticks to bounce. The most important fundamental is the double hit, two notes per strike movement, meaning two hits (one with your right hand and the other with your left) will produce 4 notes.
Lastly, make sure your movement is coming 90% from your wrist, and your arms are strictly for mobility, not hitting.

Could anyone recommend a decent (and free) program for producing tracks? Using garageband rn and it isn't the worst, I just have no clue what I'm doing. Any advice from a pro?

Is that even a question?

Fruity loops is the next best thing. But if you're going to buy something, Ableton Intro is fantasticly accessible and affordably priced if you just save up a little.

Thanks bro I'll look it up, any tutorials you know of? I'm a straight up retard when it comes to this

Thanks dude

How do I git gud? Disability severely limits my instrumental abilities, so I got me a blues harp and I got the very basics down, but all I could do so far is learn some song by heart, or make some small adjustments to tabs that didn't sound right to me, by trial and error.
But I don't think I'm going at it the right way, I think music should be more about feel and less about learning notes by heart, no?

I think it has a built in tutorial, but if not, there are tons of high quality lessons on youtube. As for Intro, that one for sure has a built in guide.

Nice choice, I've always wanted to delve deeper into harmonica.
I can recommend just checking out some basics, learn the required stuff like tongue blocking, then learn a few scales, focusing a lot on the blues scales. I know I've seen some great lesson playlists on youtube, so give a couple of them a try and see which uploader you like best and follow along, maybe pick up some intermediate harmonica song books from your music store, too. And of course, listen to harmonica musicians a ton to get a feel for what they're doing, you'll naturally start doing some of their tendencies through listening.

That's what I've been doing, good to hear, thanks!
>Toots Thielemans is a fellow countryman

Mind linking some of your music? And if you're in the NYC area wanna jam?

I'd would like to do music production but I don't have any music knowledge, where do I start?, should I learn the basics by learning piano (been wanting to learn it for a while now) or should I start somewhere else?

Don't have any recently uploaded, and just got a new computer set up with the basic equipment. NYC is quite the drive. We can meet by boat at 3am next Sunday, I'll be coming from the Miami City area.

can someone explain to me how secondary dominants work?

That sounds extremely sketchy :p.

Piano is a good start, what you're going to want to focus on is more theory than true performance if you want to start producing music. Learn how to read treble and bass clef, lesrn the basics of playing piano, and then there should be some free online Theory intro courses either on Coursera or one of the ivy league school websites, check them out.

Oops I read that wrong, what instrument do you play?

Do you have any dank music memes you'd like to share :^)

Secondary dominants are dominant chords of a target key that you want to modulate to.
For example, if you want to go from the key of C to G, you can go:
Cmaj7 Fmaj Gmaj Amin D7 Gmaj7
I. IV. V. ii/V V7/V I/V

Where D7 is a secondary dominant chord, the dominant chord of G, and it's preceded by a ii in the key of G (shared with C as it's also the vi of C).

Soon as the vocals hit I literately said
>get the fuck outta here

Really. Nice work man.

Many will say it is helpful to start with learning the piano first, or something like guitar. They're wrong. It will take too much time and you'll become extremely frustrated. You can always start playing bass in your local punk rock band if you're interested in tasting if the band thing is a path you're interested in.

Learn how synths work. Download FL Studio and start with the easy synths like Harmless and FL Keys. Don't focus on making a song yet. Create a simple melody and loop it. Learn basic principles like Attack, Release, Stereo separation and listen to what it does when you turn each knob. Try to search google for more information when you can't hear it or don't understand how it works. When you're done fiddling or get bored of the loop create a new one. Learn about Layering, the next best thing in modern production. Learn about Phasing with microphones. Experiment. Don't be afraid and think stuff like "you are just a noob". David Bowie couldn't sing either but his quest for experimentation lead to innovation. No genre he didn't touch, nor was afraid to touch.

Get feedback. A lot. Not online but in the real world. One of the best engineers in the world asks his wife into the room and plays his latest production. She leaves without saying a word but when someone else is listening with you, you start to comment / make excuses (sometimes in your head, sometimes verbal like "ok, this part is still a bit too long"). This is the most valuable feedback coming from your subconscious.

Once you got the basics on something like FL Studio or Acousica Mixcraft you can try out a DAW like Reaper or Cubase. No point in starting out with them; it will be too much to grasp. Training your mind to deal with limits and then upgrade to the full thing will feel like a liberation while diving into the deep waters will break your motivation.

This is my 2ct as a semi-pro musician that toured the world in bands / producer / beta tests audio hard- and software.

Drop it anyway dude. Try being in a metal band and trying to get opinion. Shit is rough.

Mainly do Sax and Flute, but clarinet, piano and melodic percussion, and bass are solid secondaries. Below that is trumpet, trombone, and guitar which I mostly just play when teaching or filling in on recordings or groups.

I have a music related question, would you fuck Dolly Parton?

Solid. I would say just back up off the mic a bit because you have a deep voice. Either that or roll off the low end in your vocal tracks when you mix it. Pretty fucking sweet instrumental too

No.

I have been trying to teach myself guitar. How should i be practicing. What should I learn

As a fellow musician, do you think that the musicians that are very based around technique have somewhat desensitized the average person into thinking "eh. Sweep picking with his teeth? Not really impressive" "Oh. He can play O fortuna in 1 minute" so can this other random guy" hopefully you catch my drift man

youtu.be/dP-EbkenprM

So I wrote this piece with riffs instead of chords (unusual for my writing style) and I never bothered to figure out the progression. Mind telling me what's going on chord progression wise in the verse and chorus?

Thanks user, will try that software. Regarding wanting to learn an instrument, bad idea as a whole or should I just do it separately?, also, where do I start if want to learn music theory?

how do you smoothly approach a relative dominant chord?
Would I for instance approach a V7/V like I would a ii7 because/if it shares some notes, do I just squish that V7/V before the V, or what the fuck are the usual approaches?

You just kinda leap into it. So once you hit a shared chord thats a ii or IV of the target key, hop right into that V/V and then I/TargetKey to solidify the tone.

Yeah, we are desensitized in that way. The good of that is if you aren't a self righteous asshole you can go "that's pretty neat, I'd like to learn that, and I know how to approach it." Or even share ideas. So while we lose the amazement of it all, we gain an understanding and culture around that sort of thing.

Thanks fam, have a

Hey there drumbro, music school fag here

Download a metronome app for your phone, and practice to it. There's a book by George Stone called Stick Control, and it's pretty well a drum bible. It has all sorts of sticking patterns, then it gets into triplets and flams and 6/8 stuff and is so magnificent at get those things up to speed for you.

Start off slow and make sure you're solid with your time, then keep working up the speed. Also, without the book, just try doing singles, doubles, paradiddles, and whatnot.

You have to put time in, but it pays off.

Do you consider rap music even though the individual is just putting the lyrics together and not creating the background music that would go with the song

Yes, only if the rap is rhythmically intune and has thought put into it more than talk unrhythmically fast while extremely flat.