/PROD/

/prod/ gen
Vapormeme edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/jw2khll1
yosihorikawa.bandcamp.com/
clyp.it/th0b1ahc
clyp.it/sfiqp2oy
youtube.com/watch?v=tcTpBxHVR8g
clyp.it/p1mn5cy1
clyp.it/1c2tdm4h
clyp.it/k4j044vd
clyp.it/lpcl0eqv
youtube.com/watch?v=2V1LFPQY_Aw
clyp.it/11dvzodz
clyp.it/tat0bomy
clyp.it/llga2f3b
clyp.it/53joplvl
alizaso.bandcamp.com/album/folk-songs-from-mars
soundcloud.com/merenotilde
clyp.it/fjs0xv5j
clyp.it/0lpjrehj
clyp.it/loujrri3
clyp.it/52dvoszk
clyp.it/13zcoolb
clyp.it/y2d53lpn
clyp.it/xbi1r3h0
clyp.it/2ykw3olb
clyp.it/ywh5qycc
soundcloud.com/1bvrst/motorola
bludhoney.bandcamp.com/album/hold-it-together
soundcloud.com/wuso/sets/w-u-s-o-lonely-streets
clyp.it/0rxyyblt
youtube.com/watch?v=oPlnOOmUJ5I
clyp.it/kgc4jsbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

critique my music please
clyp.it/jw2khll1

damn user, thats really good. i like it. the problem is that it feels nowhere near complete. it sounds like its not really going anywhere. you should add another section thats quite different from the current one to flesh it out and make it a full track. right now it seems like it would be a quick filler track on an album or something, and it feels like it should be a proper full track cause what youve got so far sounds great.

Contributing...

yosihorikawa.bandcamp.com/

Thousand Year Forest

i see, thanks, i mostly make ambient shit so im not really experienced in progession, i'll try to incorporate that though

clyp.it/th0b1ahc hows this sound so far?

reminds me of the glitchier tracks in velocity:design:comfort
in my opinion it's really grating though having constantly shifting dynamics

holy fucking shit uploading a hip hop classic track right now

its banger as fuck

>bandcamp

Thoughts on this?

clyp.it/sfiqp2oy

Great stuff man. What organ you use there? It sounds Rhodes-y, but like, did you use a soft synth or you got hardware? It sounds phenomenal

youtube.com/watch?v=tcTpBxHVR8g

Nature inside its own life

Hip Hop Classic instrumental

well I'm back and I guess I didn't delete this shit. At this point I don't even know if it's redeemable I have like 3 busses just for distortion I want to die.
clyp.it/p1mn5cy1

What would you add to this /prod/? Also daily reminder: do not reply to tripfags.

been trying to make some lo fi beats with fl studio. Is it a good idea to ditch fl and start learning ableton?

Been playing around with distortion this evening, emulating harsh noise, industrial and other genres that tend to play around with distortion.

Beware, these are loud and distorted, you might want to turn things down a bit.

>harsh noise
clyp.it/1c2tdm4h

>death grips'ish? industrial trap
clyp.it/k4j044vd

>i dunno, death metal industrial dubstep..?
clyp.it/lpcl0eqv

really diggin it, loved the breakdown, nice production. My only critique is that it maybe strayed a bit far off around :40 secs and got a bit lost.

sounds like tsuruda

why the fuck this did general disappear for like an entire month?

we've had generals like this every week in the last month.

so, new to prod, what is mucore album has the worst production?

I don't even like this board and I've been coming every day these past two weeks looking for this general and nothing

>so, new to prod, what Sup Forumscore album has the worst production?
sorry, fixed it

just started making beats, just finished my third any thoughts would be great

youtube.com/watch?v=2V1LFPQY_Aw

just go to the catalog and ctrl+f /prod/

hey guys, would appreciate some feedback on my latest beat and how i could improve

clyp.it/11dvzodz

i'm trying to produce for sc rappers but i'm having a little trouble putting myself out there. could someone give me some advice?

we tend to look down on youtube, soundcloud, bandcamp links, we want to keep these threads free for self promotation, but since OP if a huge faggot and forgot to put it in the general, you're excused.

That said, use clyp.it next time.

Your beat is very sparse and not very interesting, very repetetive and got little to nothing going on, even for a minimalistic trap beat.
play around with the rythm, you're playing the same straigh beat throughout and it gets boring, make a chord progression in the bass so the plucky lead have something to harmonise with,

Dusky swells brass I think it's called
On ableton by default

awesome thanks

Sorry meant to reply to this guy

Taking a break from other projects to make this little beat. It's more of a study. Everything except the kick was recorded somewhere around the house.

clyp.it/tat0bomy

Am I getting good jazz vibes with this?
Are the Hi-hats too repetitive?

clyp.it/llga2f3b

Sounds good to me. It feels like it's a bit incomplete tho.

drums are weak sause baus. Always remember a good ol hi hat swing can only get old when there's nothing to hold it up. Listen to more dilla, listen to more piero umiliani

damn I've never thought of using a gate like that. What plugin is it? Do you just compress it to shit? sounds pretty dank

Might wanna switch up the hi hats just a bit, very sparingly tho. Just enough to keep it a little groovy. Or better yet, maybe put some quiet percussion in the background at some point, like shakers or something. I would bring down the snare in the mix a bit also

Also, the looping is kinda rough, you might wanna fix that.

I dig the Seinfeld sample and the chord progression tho. Nice stuff

>find faggot making music with 0 interest, listeners etc.
>just as good as guy with 1000s
lol and then you come to these threads and see people asking for feedback as if quality has absolutely anything to do with music

just switched to ableton from fl and honestly its up to you if youre super comfortable with fl and the workflow is easier for you then stick to it but if youre willing to learn ableton go for it because it does have quite a learning curve but i really enjoy the lay out of it and the way it allows me to sample easier imo with more options and be creative overall

can someone send me a playlist of good samples, some thing cool stuff like what you could see on madvillany

clyp.it/53joplvl
Damn, clyp.it really fucks up the quality. Here's something I've been working on for a while. I've been hearing these loops nonstop for hours so I'm not sure if they're good or not anymore. Can I get some feedback? Peace

also i find the plugins that come with fl are more useful than the ones that come with ableton

I haven't dug too deep into dilla, but I just listened to piero and loved it, thank for the rec

The sampling cuts was something I was concerned about.
I added a few shakers in some separate points, it helps keep the rhythm going much smoother, so I don't think I will have to change the hi-hats too much
Thanks for the input

>assuming we're in it to be marketable
wow oh no oh jeez you completely deconstructed every facet of every thing I've built this one hobby on however will I live another day

>I-I make music for myself
>asks for feedback from other people
I see great things in your future user.

bad

>i m p l y i n g
clearly you weren't here before the election, when the influx of attention whore soundcloud kiddies flooded Sup Forums. Back in the good ol days there were people here who actually talked about gear and composition.

Current album I'm working on, Folk Songs from Mars. Hoping to release the final few tracks before May.

>folk guitar mixed with synth stuff
>recorded in my shitty apartment studio
>last track was made exclusively with FL Studio

Criticism is appreciated!

alizaso.bandcamp.com/album/folk-songs-from-mars

this is groovy, user. I'd let the first bit play out a little longer. got a Sound Cloud or anything?

only real criticism I have is the drums, boost the volume on them just a little and clean em up. the samples and keys are all really smooth!

What'd you use to record all the samples? They sound fucking great! I've been working in a kitchen and I'm in the process of making a piece using the sounds of dishes clanking together, the sink, the industrial dishwasher, etc. and I'd like to get nice recording quality like this.

Hey thanks man. soundcloud.com/merenotilde This is me.
I'll make sure to play out the beginning a bit when I start arranging.

The clap and clicks are really low quality, things don't flow together very well. I'd suggest studying different ways to balance all your sounds, along with panning some of your instruments into one ear and some into the other, it creates more depth. Even if all you do is balance all the volumes and keep the bass in the center, put claps in one ear and clicks in the other it will already improve your sound. Good luck!

Sweet dude, followed you. I'm . right now I'm listening to Snail and it reminds me a little of that Pogo Alice thing, just the flow of it. I'll definitely rec your music to some friends who like the sort of genre you have!

>Pogo Alice
Interesting comparison, aha
thanks for listening my dude

finished this a few hours ago

clyp.it/fjs0xv5j

just wanted to let you know I really liked Flea too, you've got some sick tracks haha keep it up

This is pretty damn adorable. Only criticism I can think of is to get more of a bassline in there. I mean, there's some synth bloops here and there but the tracks seems lacking at a few points on the low end. Good shit tho

What's your Sound Cloud? this is like drinking a smoothie. I agree with , some more bass would really tie it together

how do i make a catchy song that makes you feel good in terms of emotion?
especially through ambient

up tempo an in a major or minor key depending on the progression. i find that minor is usually sad for most people but i think it can be very happy in a nostalgic kind of way. maybe sample some of you favorite songs or movie quotes if your one of those producers

Use major chord progressions and try to make your pieces less bass-y and more high-register. Having a melodic line makes it catchy so for a catchy ambient song just formulate a very slow moving melody, that might work.

>clyp.it/fjs0xv5j
it sounds too trebly for my tastes and the flute is too high

taking notes thank you

Obviously Vaporwave is all about 80s-90s nostalgia. But I'm curious: does vaporwave draw more inspiration from the rustic grungy 90s (1991-96), or the futuristic girly homosexual 90s(97-99)?

using clyp for a different piece I wrote in MuseScore. I converted it to .wav so it's still MIDI instruments and the balance is shit but I want to get opinions on the mood, construction, and imagery of the piece

clyp.it/0lpjrehj

>Obviously I'm a moron who is wrong
>Stupid question

Stop posting.

Still wrong, still stupid, even after your edit. Stay away from vaporwave.

where's the fun in that lmao

Just terrible quality sounds all around.

it's ripped straight from MuseScore, it sounds like trash, and the rain sounds are straight from YouTube. If I ever perform it live which is hugely unlikely I'd like to have a stage choir make the rain sounds with their hands and feet so I can get the exact sounds to line up with the piece but doing that in Audacity is impossible

would be good for a movie

kyunkyun3

hey, /prod/ is this any good?
clyp.it/loujrri3

I've been working with the MS20 and Virus access for a few months and there's something that always frustrates me.

Not having enough synths so I can have them all play different instruments. The way I work now is once I feel like I'm done using one sound in a song I record it then I can make another synth. But this is a problem because if I ever wanna go back and make more patterns with that synth I can't because it's gone.

So far the only solution would be to buy more synths or write down all my nobs on a template.

Any suggestions?

How can you post here knowing that anybody could be stealing your ideas? I could never do it

Cause people steal each other's ideas all the time. Every idea is stolen, so are your ideas. It's really your approach and the nuances that make it good or not

clyp.it/52dvoszk

Howdy. Expansive dreamy/choiry folk song with baritone vocal here. Going to add some other elements like banjo (think Minnesota WI by Bon Iver - not cheesy, like banjo normally is) and possible other vocal layers soon.

clyp.it/13zcoolb

any thoughts?

Do your own crate digging you lazy cunt

>Latin, Bachata

This was the first mix i did
clyp.it/y2d53lpn

Re-done the song to sound like dominican Bachata
clyp.it/xbi1r3h0

Critique pls

I've got a really basic setup, actually. The Zoom H4n Pro is a really flexible pocket recorder though. I used the onboard stereo mics for the piano and rain, DI'd the bass, and used a CAD e70 condenser for the other samples.

Slightly different mix:
clyp.it/2ykw3olb

Fancy giving it some feedback anyway?

Guys is there a big megaupload drive or something with a lot of books and videos?

I've just finished learning basic music theory, and wanted to know where to go next

changed that trrrrc percussion and tweaked the bass
clyp.it/ywh5qycc

soundcloud.com/1bvrst/motorola

>Nature inside its own life
what?

>>I-I make music for myself
oh god, is the guy who started this pasta back now?

softsynths? maybe some old samplers to load patches into if you wanna stay on the hardware route?

Hey, w u s o 命 here. Anyone want to know anything/want feedback on anything?

>Hey, w u s o 命 here.
who?

bludhoney.bandcamp.com/album/hold-it-together

soundcloud.com/wuso/sets/w-u-s-o-lonely-streets

vapormeme producer.

lmao

How about some feedback on this?

clyp.it/sfiqp2oy

these threads are for music producers :^ ]

Bassline could have a little bit more oomph throughout. The melody gets rather repetitive over time, try experimenting with different harmonies. Percussion on the track is fine, though some intricacies and variation could be nice. In the introduction you have a delayed synth there that immediately goes right into the 4/4. Try giving some breathing room before that 4/4 hits, it adds some tension. The second half of the track is pretty good to start. The arps support each other well and the harmonies you got going on really support the groove with the percussion. Much stronger second half that melodically is sound, though the percussion could use some better mixing. Around 4:45 the track gets a bit busy, use some eqing to try and clean it up a bit.

nice meme

>he thinks it's a meme

Do you listen to the material?

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback, will definitely try your suggestions :)

Does this

clyp.it/0rxyyblt

groove and flow as much as this

youtube.com/watch?v=oPlnOOmUJ5I

?

i've heard a few.

clyp.it/kgc4jsbg

Criticize my beat pls

It's pretty close, but I would increase the volume of the bass, and also try to have a drum sound hitting on every beat, then build the other drums around that. I'm not great at drums myself so I might be wrong, but I think you have a good track so far.