Just your average burger asking non-burgers and bilingual burgers for your opinions learning a new language

Just your average burger asking non-burgers and bilingual burgers for your opinions learning a new language.

Thinking of learning Norwegian. I heard its one of the easier Germanic languages to learn though I'm sure its hard in its own way. I also heard that by learning it you can have a slight grasp on some of the things Danish and Swedish people say/write. I was taking a Japanese course like the weab fuck I am but I had to back out because oriental languages with three alphabets are not exactly fun nor time friendly to a uni student with a job.

Also Spanish is off the table as a suggestion. Being the lazy fuck I was in high school I may have permanently made myself retarded in all aspects of that language.

>Norwegian
Pfft, when are you going to use that? Learn Finnish for access to all the dankest memes.

learn swedish

It's ok.

The best way to learn even for a lazy guy is in the pic related.

>I also heard that by learning it you can have a slight grasp on some of the things Danish and Swedish people say/write

If you learn norwegian then you can read danish perfectly but not understand them since they never pronounce consonants. Swedish is easy to understand spoken but they write some words differently.

these all suck

I'm not lazy like I was in High School fortunately, but doing a study abroad program at my uni to Oslo or somewhere like that could be cool.

If you want to learn a Scandinavian language, sincerely, learn Norwegian. Norwegian is the strongest language in the north, in the sense that Norwegians can also understand Swedes and Danes, and to some degree Icelanders, while the others both struggle more to understand each other, and require more weird pronunciations than Norwegian does (Swedish and Danish anyway)

Learn swedish, they have more resources for foreigners.
As a bonus you learn norwegian and danish without any effort
If you call now we'll even throw in limited interaction with a small minority on west coast of funland

>doing a study abroad program at my uni to Oslo or somewhere like that could be cool.

Yep. Remember to remind the locals to speak native to you though. Otherwise Vikings and Finns will switch to English that instant when they simply think you are not getting something. Don't let them get too comfortable :)

Like every country there will be asshats who tell you that the capitol suck because they are butthurt rurals. Don't listen to them. Oslo is a great city to live in when you get to know it.

Even the muslim ghettos of Tǿyen and Grǿnland are more or less safe, but I would highly recommend staying on the west side, where all the snobs are.

Really, Americans coming to a European city in a country other than the UK, France and Germany are much safer than in any major city in the USA.

Norwegian, Swedish, either works.

>muslim ghettos of Tǿyen and Grǿnland
>Grǿnland
what did he mean be this?

ty you all have been very helpful

I think Oslo would be really cool to live in. The biggest city I've ever lived in is Cleveland so any Scandinavian capitol or city would probably be a step up in safety and most other fields. Here we sort of have a homeless problem, a few too many killings, and a heroin epidemic.

Visit and make plenty of friends. Don't be too friendly though, people won't like that here.

Burger here. I have formally studied French, Spanish, German, and Japanese. Of those, Spanish is the easiest. But I was recently fucking with Norwegian on Duolingo and I thought it was very easy as well. Kind of hard to compare since I was learning it in such a different format but there are a lot of familiar words and the grammar is less autistic than most western languages. I hesitate to tell you that you'll have no problem, because if you managed to fuck up Spanish you're a retard, but I'd say Norwegian should be about as easy as it gets.

in my defense I was a highly unmotivated high school junior being forced into the language requirement. Also my school was poor as fuck so we only had Spanish offered. The Spanish 1 teacher was not in control of the class where the Spanish 2 teacher ruled with an iron fucking fist. Looking back I probably could've done much better if I put decent effort into it. The only thing I got out of it was I can sort of decipher written Spanish.

What do you think of duolingo by the way? I know alone its not enough, but is it a good starting point?

Okay fair enough about the Spanish, I guess. It doesn't sound like you were set up to succeed at it at all. If you tried, though, I think you'd agree with me that it's a pretty simple language. Especially if you have taken others that you can compare it to.

Duolingo is actually fucking great. Just remember that it won't help your speaking and listening for shit. You need other people for that. It will teach you plenty of grammar and vocabulary though.

>What do you think of duolingo by the way?

an american who just moved here whom i know, learned norwegian to a passable degree in 3 months using duolingo.

How did he practice the verbal skills?

What's the point of learning a Nordic language if you aren't planning on moving here?

after a couple of weeks in he insisted we talk only norwegian to him instead of switching to english whenever we felt he was stuck with something.

Awesome. I've always wanted to do that with a language but I've never lived in another country and I don't have enough beaner friends to do it with Spanish. That seems like the best way, though.

What are the local dialects like in Norway? I read something that said they can vary heavily depending on the area.

I asked this in /Norgetråden/ and they said just study good bokmål and forget nynorsk. Any Norwegians here can correct me if I'm wrong but I was told you can present yourself intelligently anywhere in Norway like that.

Yeah just go with Bokmål and stick with it.
I have trouble understanding my coworker sometimes due to the dialect and thats just her being from the south and me from the north.

Plenty of dialects up here.

You won't experience the dialectical difference though until you really get fluent in the language. You will simply find some of the dialects harder as a language, i.e. you simply won't understand the speech. However the Natives up here in the North will clarify their speech to easier formal language for you, kinda automatically. Speakers up here are generally not stuck with their local dialect.

Enjoying the dialectic language experience comes much later.

So don't worry about that.

They are pretty diverse. Imagine english, thick scottish and thick new zealand

come to trondheim and NTNU instead its much better