IT'S OVER
KOONDICK IS FINISHED

>mention the Zacari and Rihanna features
>blatantly ignore U2's part on XXX
What did they mean by this.

how the fuck do you make a 10?
what makes MBDTF a 10?

>pitchfork thinks DAMN. is better than anything released last year

Probably because those features were awesome and Bono's was preachy, cringey, out of place, and kinda uncomfortable.

Pay Ryan and be black first

surely this is the end of kendrick's path to being the greatest rapper ever

>not ignoring all white artists

come on man

>first artist to get pitchfork AOTY twice

will he do it three times?

speak for urself user it made me throw my glock in the garbage can.

>Bono's was preachy, cringey, out of place, and kinda uncomfortable.
Not really. He had like three lines that thematically fit in with the rest of the song (which is pretty damn preachy anyway).

Even ignoring his lines, the rest of U2 sounded tight as fuck.

p4k has it right this album is really fucking good. all you noobs just refuse to like it because kendrick is mainstream. accept that this album is amazing and move on. might be AOTY but probably not because of the new fleet foxes coming out.

>9.2
>btfo

you know tpab got 9.3?

You're black aren't you?

its pitchfork, the guy probably didn't listen to the whole album before writing the review. theyre more interested in promoting artists that will show up to their 'festival'

kek

They gave that a 9.3 because they thought Frank was coming out with an album that year and they didn't realize how big of a thing BLM would be. TPAB came out before Freddie Gray and the Baltimore riots. Had that happened before and had Frank's album had not been scheduled for that July he would've had a 9.5+

Pitchfork is a Chicago publication. Kanye is from Chicago and Kendrick isn't. That also explains how Chance's shitty Coloring Book album got a 9.1.

It also explains how DJ Rashad's Double Cup got an 8.6 BNM

damn doesnt hold a candle to coloring book

>reading this much into current events + pitchfork scores

lel

dude I'm half asleep and wrote this

it's pretty obvious

>conceptual masterpiece
>preachy high budget mixtape that is somehow worse than his last one

>yet still better than damn.

r u fucking this new? jesus h christ what the fuck mu

you all so trigger to sensitive lmao

black ppl are the best at making music.

the lyrics on the hook were cringe as fuck i agree with that

I think that's a fair score. But what does the .2 mean? How do you calculate that?

coloring book is the biggest fucking meme in hip hop in the last decade. he will never put out another project that approaches acid rap.

>implying that isn't DAMN.

this is very true.

>damn.
>conceptual masterpiece
kek

acid rap is fucking good, coloring book seriously let me down, but it also confused me I just couldn't understand (and still can't) the praise it got.

Angels, Same Drugs, Smoke Break, Finish Line are all GOAT tier songs. Rest are great with the single exception being Juke Jam

Out of 100 then divide by 10

fuck off bieber does well in juke jam

i agree about Angels, Same Drugs, and Finish Line, and I would add Summer Friends to the list (still think it's the best on the album). But Acid Rap has Pusha Man, Cocoa Butter Kisses, Acid Rain, Favorite Song, Smoke Again, and Juice. I mean Pusha Man and Acid Rain are absolutely gorgeous. Coloring Book just doesn't compare, it is better than 10 Day, but he made that shit in fucking high school (not saying it's bad by any means)

all the songs that aren't Angels, Same Drugs, Finish Line or Summer Friends are just fucking boring. All Night is okay, but nothing noteworthy

>giving a motherfuck about bitchdork ratings
kill yourselves

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting, how is that BTFO?

I ain't taking this bait ya bitch

it's pretty good. I'm having a weird time with it. It feels like the album is connecting with me on this inexplicable level. I keep saying it's great but not amazing, though I actually can't stop listening to it. I also think that it's very interesting conceptually and well written.

Maybe depression is fucking with my emotions.

fuck man we're the same person. I probably listened to it 8 times in full since it's release, and im constantly playing tracks from it. I also keep defending it and calling it a great album, but I just can't say it's a masterpiece or hip hop album of the decade or anything like what it's being called, something's stopping me and I don't know what.

I've also had a very very bizarre week mentally so that might be it

Quick, post your final rating before melon's review comes out in the morning.

strong 7 to light 8

I agree.

there are tracks like LOVE and GOD which I can never truly like. LOYALTY is passable at least

see

laughing to the bank like HA HA

LOYALTY would be GOAT if it didn't have rihanna's awful verse

I'm guessing a 9 honestly. He seemed pretty excited about it and said other reviewers didn't even know what was really up.

you know you're the goat when a 9.2 score constitutes to being 'btfo'

yeah there is also a chief keef song titled laughing to the bank by coincidence

strong 8 light 9

you dont like fun

I'm talking about your own opinion, since people are always influenced by him and change their minds.

I think that speaks to Kendricks ability to make music. With the last two albums, he clearly had lofty ambitions for them. To me it felt like he wanted to make masterpieces, like he was desperately trying to prove something. But with DAMN., everything about it feels like he knows his place in the industry and as an artist, and just wanted to make something to express how he was feeling at the moment. That's why he picked more modern beats, had some more melodic songs, and played with a looser concept. He did all these things, will all this pressure off his shoulders, and still made a great album.

8.5 for me with the potential to move up or down

Anyone feel like Kendrick is immune to criticism at this point?

I enjoyed the album but certain tracks drag it way down.

yeah that makes a lot of sense, like he didn't strive like he did on his last two records and just made something that is average for him, but his song-writing is so good that it turned out actually great. There are very few artists that disappoint by releasing a "just" really great album.

if its not a 9 its very close. probably the best hip hop album of the year and lived up to the expectations that kendrick has set for himself. probably the weakest out of his 3 major releases for me because of tracks like god and love but i still think its a really good album.

that's actually a pretty good observation. makes sense. it's interesting how kendrick feels so much more confident now while speaking so heavily on his insecurities in the album.
which ones

Pitchfork ratings:
>GKMC: 9.5
>TPAB: 9.3
>DAMN: 9.2

How it should be:
>TPAB: 9.5
>DAMN: 9.3
>GKMC: 9.3

But really who gives a fuck about P4K. They make a point to review all sorts of obscure music, yet give stingy reviews with incredibly high standards. Also when is the last time you listened to an album and decided it was an 8.3? That's fucking stupid

I'd say tracks like LOVE GOD and ROYALTY. Maybe it's just my bias but I'd never expect to hear something like this on a Kendrick album and be praised at the same time.

>ROYALTY
you mean DNA?

Nah, the low points in the album are still good songs, and the high points are so good they more than make up for them. Honestly if the worst song on your album is an 8, you're doing pretty well.

oh my bad, that's one off nation.

hol up

is this a joke? are you guys ACTUALLY agreeing with the inflated score and ACTUALLY suggesting it should be higher?

it's like (7.3) at best

that one's

>love
I felt that way at first but it's actually really cute to me now. Zacari sounds very nice on it.
>god
Another song that oddly grew on me. I was confused by it when I first heard it because the hook was really awkward sounding. It's catchy though and I think it works well with its position in the tracklist as a sort of "awakening" where kdot abandons his fears. That's probably why it's sung that way.
>royalty (loyalty?)
hard to argue with that one. It's def not my favorite but I guess it's an alright pop song that seemed to be well liked on twitter. expect to hear on radio

naw, that's just how OP got people in the thread. 9.2 is fine by me but I don't really care about review scores

Agree with this, and I felt that he was kind of addressing this with the "nobodys praying for me" line that he came back to a few times. It seemed like he was touching on the idea that turning him into some champion of civil rights the way people did after tpab dehumanizes him in a way. When he plays around and makes less serious music like he did at times on damn it almost feels self-indulgent because people think he should be on some heavy political shit, even if those less serious songs are reflecting whats going on in his life right now. Everybodys so focused on the message they expect him to put out that they forget about him as a person.

I don't see nothing particulary wrong with it. Not a biggest fan since most of the reacionts were dude this shit go hard bruh etc. but I don't consider it bad.

Also when is the last time you listened to an album and decided it was an 8.3?

Literally me yesterday with DAMN.

kendrick is their boy

That's fine. But my point is what differentiates an 8.3 vs an 8.4? Just go by .5 intervals and stop being pretentious

He was really lashing out against all of these people who are trying to champion him on FEEL. That shit sounded so sincere. He touches on it on FEAR too.

Honestly, I think this album feels much more personal than TPaB. It's like really taking a moment in Kendrick's raw thoughts. I hope he doesn't take a super long break after this one.

>tfw you just realize loyalty wasn't about a woman
with the way it sounded, I didn't even pay attention to the lyrics.

rly

TELL ME WHO YOU LOYAL TO

personal rating: 8.5
melon's rating: strong 9

DELET THIS

They're deceptively simple

you you guys ever find some new understanding in lyrics but then disallow yourself from believing it because you don't think the artist intended it?

I don't think you understand how pitchfork works. Each staff member gives their rating and then they average it out.

you have staff members working within your brain?

this is happening a lot on this album

i wonder if I should just accept it as art and let my interpretation be whatever I get out of it or if I should just dismiss my thoughts

Ahahahahah

It's fucking over for Kendrick

>You should chip a nigga, then throw the blower in his lap // Matter fact, I'm 'bout to speak at this convention call you back --
>Alright, kids, we're gonna talk about gun control

what did he mean by this?

I KEEP IT 300

Damn, that's pretty embarrassing.

>ft U2

dropped

lord no not like that one
how? releasing three 9+ scored albums?
they aren't bad though

correct order tho

you guys are so stupid and desensitized. how can you think a 9/10 is a bad score?

p4k plebs

How can you make your own 10 ?
This is the question you ought to ask.

Why is pitchfork so terrible at judging hip hop?