Michael Stipe / REM general /// Space Ghost edition 1994

After years of Grimes threads I can't handle it, my pop music heart belongs to Michael and It's time we give him the thread he deserves.
>inb4 SHINY HAPPY PEOPLEEEE
>inb4 THAT'S GREAT IT STARTS OUT WITH AN EARTHQUAKE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zFpHzSHB6eI
youtube.com/watch?v=S9WMncHTtEI
youtube.com/watch?v=Fuvi7AUfZPo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

STAND IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU LIVE
NOW FACE NORTH

I finally talked to Michael Stipe

What did he say?

I have been going on Sup Forums for 4 years now off and on and I have not seen a single thread or mention of REM. What gives? Is Sup Forums either comprised of underage b8 or is Sup Forums simply too retarded to understand the bridge that REM created as the first alt rock band to ever be good?

He was leaving on the road tomorrow.

saw rem for the first time in 1985 (at MIT)
under-rated pop song: "Star 69"

This

Monster was a mistake

the first time i met stipe he was wearing a fugazi tshirt

What if Steve Albini recorded a REM album?

He touched me on my arm.

They are pretty rare. It really is surprising that Sup Forums doesn't like or talk about REM as much as The Smiths or other contemporaries.

Remember when Space Ghost was married to Bjork?

As I recall he recorded at least one song maybe more on their tribute album Surprise Your Pig

Who would win in a fight?

"underage b8" != "underage b&"

Neither

I freaked out when I saw that episode. I watched the show when I was like 6 and then never again until last year. Also conan o'brian.
But Stipe still has a funny personality. As does Bjorkie.

Opinions on Vic Chesnutt? Michael Stipe recorded his first two albums.

He would just fall in a dumpster and start crying over nonexistent wars England was fighting in the 80's. Actually he did that normally.

Everybody hurts, man on the moon. The Legend.

Their IRS albums is just one ridiculously good album after another, every album sounds nothing like the one that came before it. Pic related is my favorite out of all of them, a singularly unique album that only these 4 guys could have made. Good Advices is probably my single favorite REM song

that episode of Space Ghost was great

youtube.com/watch?v=zFpHzSHB6eI

Perfect Circle is their best song and Losing My Religion is their second best

Fave albums lads?

Bad production.

The production is fine, I love the murkiness, it feels like you're listening to the album while floating underwater.

I mean, on its own, it's okay. But when you consider that it came after Murmur and Reckoning, which had really great production for 80s albums, it's kind of jarring.

I don't know if a cleaner sound would really work well on songs like Green Grow The Rushes or Old Man Kensey. Like I said, it's a totally unique album that shows how inventive these guys were to have a vastly different sound on each album. Lifes Rich Pageant came out after this and that's straight up folk rock

Found a pretty nice copy of this one on vinyl for $5. One of the first records I ever bought. Really appreciated it more after spending more time with it.

>the descending guitar intro to Can't Get There From Here
>YEEEEP

>IVE BEEN THERE I KNOW THE WAY IVE BEEN THERE I KNOW THE WAY

>MAAAAAPSSSS AAAAANNND LEEEEEGEEENNNDSSSS

It just might have better use of Mike Mills background vocals than any other REM album. Also their drummer has a really skilled right hand, just wanted to make sure that was acknowledged before the thread 404s, Bill Berry is very underrated as a drummer

What's your favorite use of Mike Mills lead vocals? Mine is Superman. Texarkana very close second

I like the way Bill hits the hi-hats on the earlier albums.

He does this thing on nearly every REM album where he'll quickly open the high hat twice in a row, he does it so much it's basically his trademark.

Those are the 2 major ones, I like the live versions of Rockville where he gets to sing.

I wish Mills had more chances at lead vocals. He's probably a better vocalist than Stipe was.

Any examples of the hi-hat thing?

>He's probably a better vocalist than Stipe was.

He's good but come the fuck on don't talk complete shit. Go listen to Green and see if you really still think that.

I don't mean that as in Stipe's voice is less fitting. He's got his own style and it works best for what most of REM did.

Like I said, he does it on nearly every REM song

youtube.com/watch?v=S9WMncHTtEI

He does it a bunch in Gardening At Night. Idk what it is but the line "We fell up not to see the sun" really get to me.

IT'S GONNA FAAAAALL

gay for stipe

Anyone else here seen Stipe's dick?

We Walk is one of my personal favourite R.E.M. deep cuts. It's the kind of song that would be obnoxious if done by any other band, but R.E.M. makes it so likeable.

Really? That's the only song from the IRS albums that I consider to be a bad song. I really just hate absolutely everything about it.

GOAT Tier R.E.M.:
-Fall On Me
-Driver 8
-Electrolite
-Man On The Moon
-Perfect Circle
-Country Feedback

Overrated Tier
-Nightswimming

That's understandable, my opinion can be accounted for by my shit taste.
I just dig the nostalgic feeling the song channels. Plus the spooky thundering billiard noises in the background.

you've never seen a single thread that mentions REM and you've been here for 4 years? They're posted pretty frequently, maybe not as frequently as Blur or The Smiths but they're hardly rare on here.

yea Stipe is such a weird character I find it hard to believe Sup Forums never talks about him but will still have daily Morrissey threads

Listen to the drumming. Is this song supposed to be somewhat of a throwback to 80s REM?

youtube.com/watch?v=Fuvi7AUfZPo

Collapse was a pretty great album. Uberlin and Blue are probably my favorite songs. I love the character Stipe gets into when he starts his stream of consciousness rant in Blue

I can get behind this thread. I like all of their material. I prefer the early stuff obviously but a lot of their popular stuff is still really fun.

There's a good amount of REM posts but almost never an REM thread (and if there is one it almost never lasts).

I always try to mention Murmur when I can