/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

random.org/geographic-coordinates/
youtu.be/JTLUzk9MxPU
youtu.be/E78dSjXziE8
random.org/lists/
youtu.be/oAkhR6ec8v4
ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wow. All the new years resolution "I will learn Russian like Trump's best friend Putin!" people are gone

I'm bored and indecisive, where do I roll to decide which language to learn for a month or so?

random.org

Where can one find the corresponding languages?

retard here. I don't even know language structure related words like auxiliary, reflexive etc... where's a good place to conceptually learn that stuff? no bully

didn't you learn this in foreign language class in school? you learned French?

assign languages to a number on your own and then roll

Come on, don't we just have a picture somewhere or something?

i really don't

Useless to learn this crap, it'll come naturally when you're just learning to speak a language

French was mandatory up until early highschool but we essentially learned nothing besides conjugation and how to order at a restaurant. Teachers didn't care and the students were too disruptive, and most of the time we just watched subtitled stuff.

And English classes were just as shitty desu. I think I'm missing some education when reading the duolingo notes.

Yeah a lot of rules are coming naturally for me but I still feel like a dummy when I have to look up some words in the dictionary.

random.org/geographic-coordinates/

pick language of closest random country

>African shithole
>Antarctica
>Australia
>The other side of Australia
>Canada
>China
Already know some Chinese
>Alaska
>Middle of the Ocean
>Madagasca

Does there perchance exist a version of this with just Europe?

Hopefully. All that's left is the "What language should I learn?" crowd.

:(

Not everyone knows exactly which language to be an autistic about

Rude

Where can I find more videos like this? Ie, foreigners speaking a language at the intermediate level

youtu.be/JTLUzk9MxPU

Look, you're talking about something that is going to take many many hours of your life, your only life, so really approaching it like "durr pick a language for me plz!!" is absolutely ridiculous (luckily I think the actual retention rate of people who decide that way is not long any way). If learning a language is not (and will not be) a necessity in your life, by geography or by business, or you don't have some strong interest in a language by way of its media, culture, or whatever, then why even bother? It almost seems like such people are approaching being bilingual as some prerequisite to I don't even know, being civilized? I feel like it's just some finger-wagging loud-mouth Europeans and maybe some elite third worlders projecting this illusion of necessity/criteria that they have had to face learning English, and the rest of the English speaking world that feels needlessly ashamed of just knowing the most important language in the world right now.

tl;dr: nobody likes a pussy-footing fuddy duddy so stop it

I'm learning French right now, I think Duolingo and flash cards are working very well. I'm thinking about learning Hebrew next because my mom taught me some Hebrew when I was younger. I'm not sure how long French will take though.

Is your French better or worse then these peoples?

youtu.be/E78dSjXziE8

Definitely. But I do relate to them a bit, I have a hard time pronouncing some words but i'm working on it.

Perhaps the worst kind of langposters

Italian

random.org/lists/

type in whichever languages you are interested in.

I just realized you asked if my French was better or worse, not just better. My bad.

reminder it's declension and not declination

unfortunately the german word "Deklination" means declination and declension

Anyone learning/learned italian? Already at lvl 13 in duolingo and I read from time to time the Italia general here but I'd like to add something more related to grammar. Any recommendations?

Who /languageblock/ here?

I'm scared of talking to people in the language I'm learning thinking that they'll bully me for making too many mistakes.

and this applies to everything even generals

Hey man, don't worry. Typically you will earn respect in other countries if you at least try to speak properly. That is what seperates you from the vacation tourists.

Bumped for victory

bmp

Why can't I become fluent in German???

Everyday I do
> Duolingo
> Memrise
> Clozemaster
> watch Let's Plays in German
> try to translate German TV shows like Hart Aber Fair
> try to write German sentences

but I feel like my German is still so shitty

it's time to get a german bud

Listen to German radio as much as you can, when you're commuting, when you're at home...

A real German person to talk to?

I... I don't think my autism can handle that

I'm also not white, so I would like like a loser shitskin at the local German club

force yourself to not be like yourself and do it anyway

you mean, download Let's Plays onto my phone and listen to them as I'm driving?

I'm learning Italian

I don't know what that is
I'm saying you need to be exposed to the language and listening to the radio is one of the best ways to do it (according to myself

look at all those people in my city's German club

I am only imagining myself in a group setting and I feel nervous

it would be good for you

look at them, they look so normie and happy

aren't you feeling sweaty and nervous, imagining yourself in that social situation?

I.. I don't know. I don't think I can make myself go to a social situation like this.

I think I'll listen to Sven over there
and listen to German radio

I could help. Get on Skype or so and have Chats in German!

w-what is your skype name?

youres first! but I'll add you!

ok, give me few minutes to make a Skype account

ok, it is registering account

my skype is open; addname will be something with der or dea depends what skype shows

how do I know my Skype username? I signed in with my telephone number?

there should be a nickname or so?

live:164440b588c24870

??

or you could search me in the directory

First name: German
last name: Aboo

sorry, I'm new to Skype

>and the rest of the English speaking world that feels needlessly ashamed of just knowing the most important language in the world right now.
The rest of your post is spot on too, but this is probably the main thing. It's mostly Americans who come in these threads and ask "What language should I learn guys?!" with the idea that "Oh yeah, just choose for me and I will learn it, I guess" mentality, which doesn't really get them anywhere past the first 2 months (albeit, I KNOW this isn't the case for everyone).

Get better at your broken Mexican-Spanish with a thick American accent and then decide if you really want to spend another 2 years getting fluent in a language.

When listening to audio content, such as podcasts or radio, should I be trying to translate what they're saying in my head or just try to absorb some vocab? Basically, what should I be actively trying to do when learning with this kind of resource? I take the train every day to work and listen to my German radio, but I honestly feel like I'm doing it wrong.

japanese is the worst language

Nope Vietnamese is the worst language.

At least there are weeaboos who love anime

No one is a vietaboo

Force yourself to think in the language. Thinking in the language is an important step to make towards fluency, because otherwise you'll always have at least 1 more step to make in conversation/writing/whatever: you have to translate. Forcing yourself to think in it should help with just "knowing" the words, instead of thinking "oh right, he said blabla bla, which translates to blabla bla"

i'm planning to learn faroese
how is it?

Not while French and Spanish still exist.

>German TV shows
ekelhaft

Neither are Bavarians nowadays

I'm black and I've been to german loads of times to visit my russian girlfriend studying there. They are pretty nice. a little bit boring and pragmatic though.
>tfw gf wants you to learn russian
>Tfw you only get as far as cyrillic before giving up and going back to my comfy spanish language learning

Been learning Japanese. Picked up Genki 1 and I'm about a quarter of the way through it. I know it will get harder, but so far so good. No problems remembering it so far and it seems to make pretty logical sense to me.

My only looming concern is learning Kanji. I picked up a couple books for it, but l'm not really impressed. I learned the "meaning" of about 250 kanji using the books, but I still can't read more than a handful of them... =/ Aggrivating.

I'm interested in Slavic languages

I make some paradigm pictures from other pics to clarify some aspects of a language and to remember them

For example, Old Church Slavic(Old Bulgarian) pic. for noun inflections

youtu.be/oAkhR6ec8v4

bump

bumptsi bump

それな

>No one is a vietaboo
You called?

Plait-il ?

is anyone even making progress and this thread or just blog posting or coming here to ask what language they should go just not to do it?

Why do black people make such exaggerated expressions.

How do show that you've made progress? I'm actually kind of interested in an objective measurement of progress that can be updated monthly

The level of your ability to speak about any topic in your target language can be a good guide for you. Everyday on discord I notice I speak more and more about whatever I want and for however long I want to speak about it. Another way I guess you can measure it is by the amount of grammatical mistakes or how much of a book can you read without looking up words.

I prefer to spend my time worrying about which language to learn rather than actually learning a language.

Why are slavic languages so hard?

kek
Is it not because of their grammar systems?

Because they're needlessly complicated

Interesting, all right

>too scared of actually starting to learn
>cant decide between Japanese, Chinese, Korean
>spend all my time reading on how to learn

> Ultimate weeb
Your anime waifu will love you no matter which language you pick

Probably like Icelandic and Danish?

B-but I don't even like anime and manga.
Just interested in the history, culture and music.
And movies in Koreas case.

>cant decide between Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Choose 2 numbers from 1 to 6 for each one and toss a die.

Chinese is the only useful one, but Korean is the easiest

Yeah for the future Chinese seems the most fruitful, but all those characters and tones. On the upside the grammar is easy from what I've read.
Korean is the easiest but is less useful.

Oh well
1-3 Korean
4-7 Japanese
8-0 Chinese

Has anyone met someone who couldn't speak their parents' mother language? Like an Asian who can't speak Chinese, or Swede who can't speak Swedish, or a Hungarian who can't speak Hungarian

For example, the elder Trump children can't speak Czech, even though their mother is a native Czech. How does that even happen

Yes, a Thai-Swedish girl who despite living in Sweden didn't speak Swedish
She went to a school where she spoke English and spoke English at home too

Could her parents speak Swedish or Thai? Were they expats?

Her dad is Swedish
It's beyond me why they didn't teach or make her study Swedish, considering you need it if you want to study here, it's a requirement

What you're looking for are the parts of speech/syntactic categories.

You generally learn what those are in your native language classes, but everyone tends to forget after a while. I understand, I was like that too. I actually became better in English by learning French since it made me go over a lot of the things that I forgot over the years.

Your best bet is to gloss over everything related to syntax. You stated in your examples that you don't know what auxiliaries and reflexives are, they're both types of verbs, so I'll provide you with a link that only goes over the parts of speech. This guide won't go over things like clauses, prepositional phrases, noun phrases, basically none of the phrasal categories.

It'll take a while to go over this stuff, but do take your time. It's also a good idea to take some notes.

ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/

bump

>Want to learn Spanish but start thinking about Mexicans half way through a lesson and always give up

sounds like someone's spooked

You have to go back

That's understandable, Mexico is the only country where people speak Spanish after all.