Less catchy than Kanye, OutKast, Jay-Z, etc

>less catchy than Kanye, OutKast, Jay-Z, etc.
>more offensive lyrics than all of them
>not as good as any of them
>still outsells them all by a wide margin (21 million copies of The Marshall Mathers LP)
It's because he's white, isn't it?

Couple factors.

1. Yes, he's white. Majority of America is white therefore it's easier to identify and can sell easier.

2. The album was funny but also had some heavy themes.

3. Flow and production were better than most safe for Kanye and early OutKast.

I mean, yeah

name anyone before Em who went at people the way he did? Em was Meme rap before Meme rap. but he was actually funny with the delivery. and with nice wordplay, and so much attention from the hating media, that just propelled him even further with the generation.

I'm not a fan of em but I do appreciate his rap and lyricism. face it, he has good delivery and a better vocabulary than any of those artists you just listed OP. I do think he's a bit overrated, but that doesnt mean he doesn't have talent.

>less catchy
kek, op needs catchy music to like it

>catchy

Kys.

Yeah so? His delivery is the best, humour, and wordplay.

>not as good as any of them
You clearly have shit taste if you need catchy songs to like. Therefore your opinion is discarded.

>>still outsells them all by a wide margin (21 million copies of The Marshall Mathers LP)

It is one of the best hip hop albums of all time. Yes him being white helped it but that doesn't disregard his talent. And yes he's overrated. But is still one of the best rappers of all time. Can't wait for his next album (slim shady lp2)

This is the most sensible post I've read this year thus far on all of Sup Forums. Grats mate

>muh bling and bitches
literally 100% of all rap ever

Best selling hip hop artists of all time

1- eminem
2- jay z
3- tupac
4- beastie boyz
5- outkast

got me to reply
2/10

Kys you stupid piece of shit

catchy music only works for singles op. Eminem is an album artist. people are interested in what he has to say, whether its about his mom or hating fags or anything. you cant compare him to some singles artsist like kanye. dudes last album didnt even went platinum.

AND NO NOT BECAUSE.HE.IS WHITE

if thats the reason other white rappers like cac miller, macklemore, asher Roth etc should atleast achieve half of eminems success

The honest truth is that white people don't like rap about guns or bling. Look at any rap battle with a mostly white crowd, and notice that when a black guy starts spitting gun bars, no one cares, because it's just not interesting, they know the guy probably never really uses guns in his own life anyway.

White people simply can't relate to stories of growing up in the ghetto...Why would they enjoy it?

>dudes last album didnt even went platinum.

Huh?

How are his early singles not catchy?

just checked and it barely made it

No I mean what did you mean? Eminems last album didn't go platinum?

Nice job lying, Stan.

Jay and Kanye aren't even close to Em. They're both flash over substance and can't rap for shit. Outkast I'd rate above but Em is top 10 and a million times better than Kendrick Lameme or any of the other garbage trap music you faggots are rocking nowadays.

I only mention catchiness as an indicator of popularity, the average College Dropout-era Kanye song has way more pop sensibility than Eminem ever had. By that metric alone they should be outselling him.
t. Stan

I dont like or want to say it but You forgot drake

Eminem had a really strong pop culture presence back then. He was a cultural phenomenon that had some impact on the culture regardless of your opinion of him or his music.

NWA = Black guys making rap music that white kids like and pisses of their parents

Eminem = White guy making rap music that white kids like and pisses of their parents

It's the same act. He tried to do it with D12, but it ended up being just him that got popular.

>good production
>white
>silly music videos
there you go

>less catchy than Kanye, Jay-Z
This is bait, there are few things less catchy than Jay-Z, both of them being low-fi harsh noise artists

Name a rap song more catchy than Love The Way You Lie or The Monster?

HI! MY NAME IS

THE REAL SLIM SHADY

I think he helped transition 90s rap/hip hop to contemporary rap/hip hop.

Groundbreaking for the time but we have more complex artist working today.

Poetic justice

Eminem is god to white trash, the men see themselves in him and women want him because he's the pinnacle of what you can become starting out in a trailer park, despite the fact that he's an awful person.

omg you're right OP we live in a racist country fuck DRUMPF great topic really made me think amazing analysis

Yes. White girls thought he was cute. That is literally all that matters when selling records.

>singles artist like Kanye

Bait/10. Kanye is literally the epitome of an album artist. At least his albums sound different from each other, unlike your daddy Eminem. Whats so special about an artist who releases the same album 3 times?

Also, TLOP went platinum, it was the first album to do so from streaming alone, with over 3 billion streams, BTFO.

Eminem is better than all three artists you mentioned, yet you claim he isn't.

It's because he's white, isn't it?

Will he ever bring his Ken Kaniff persona back?

During his peak, his music was really great and controversial. And he was the only good white rapper in the game.
Nowadays, he's marketed himself to be the best rapper alive, and many people ran with it.

this

Completely disagree with your third point regarding the production fampai. For the most part his beats are relatively simple.

The sound engineering on that album was god tier.
Don't care much for the lyrics.
What always set Eminem apart was his ability to work with the mixers to make sure his voice sat in the pocket on each beat.
This also allowed him to a wider variety of cadences, so the highs were higher and the lows were lower.

well, you can listen to what shit posters on Sup Forums say, or you can consider the opinions of rappers like Rakim, Nas, Kendrick, etc. who see him as one of, if not THE, best ever.

Simplicity isn't a bad thing in music, Eminem has made some of the catchiest songs of all time, even his 'sad' songs are still extremely melodic eg Mockingbird.

People really think he sells a lot because he's good?
Recovery sold more than any Kanye album.

This

Dude Eminem picks like the worst beats there is

nice b8

Ever listened to The Blueprint?

He did in MMLP2

>Funny but also had some heavy themes
>Flow and production were better than most
Woah, you just described Kanye!

because immmm marshall matherrrrs

>He's white
>Edgy, controversial lyrics appeal to edgy teens and hate bait for the media
>Lyrical ability that makes him stand out to "muh spiritual lyrical miracle" oldheads
>Came out long enough ago to appeal to oldheads but not too long to be popular among rap fans today
>Association with huge names like Dre, Snoop, Biggie and Pac, etc
>Good production
>Semi-attractive
>Weaponized corniness

Some of it.

He was also extremely talented, made meme songs that were clever at the time, and wasn't afraid of the media.

Being white only got him into the door because rap always needs some weird white dude. But, his talent and dedication are what made him sell so much.

Timing also helped. When Eminem got big, everyone was trying to mimic Biggie or Pac; Eminem did his own thing.

>weaponized corniness

i kek'd son

See, the problem is, I speak to suburban kids
Who otherwise woulda never knew these words exist
Whose moms probly woulda never gave two squirts of piss
'Til I created so much motherfuckin' turbulence
Straight out the tube, right into your livin' rooms I came
And kids flipped when they knew I was produced by Dre
That's all it took, and they were instantly hooked right in
And they connected with me too, because I looked like them
That's why they put my lyrics up under this microscope
Searchin' with a fine tooth comb, it's like this rope
Waitin' to choke, tightenin' around my throat
Watchin' me while I write this, like, "I don't like this note!"
All I hear is: lyrics, lyrics, constant controversy, sponsors working round the clock to try to stop my concerts early
Surely hiphop was never a problem in Harlem, only in Boston
After it bothered the fathers of daughters startin' to blossom
So now I'm catchin' the flak from these activists
When they raggin', actin' like I'm the first rapper
To smack a bitch or say "faggot," shit
Just look at me like I'm your closest pal
The posterchild, the motherfuckin' spokesman now, for…

yes he sold more albums because he's white
It has nothing to do with quality in either a positive or negative way
He is simply more marketable as a white rapper and even more marketable because he was edgy making him twice as appealing to white suburban teenagers one of, if not the, biggest market share in American music

I want whole songs. Babysitter pt. 2 or something.

This, Eminem and his team knew exactly how to play to the white american audience
Step 1: Get someone famous on production i.e. Dre
Step 2: Get white kids to relate to your music in a way that black hip hop artists couldn't
Step 3: Wait for parents of said white kids to throw a shit fit because of both language and controversial/edgy content thus giving him free advertising and making kids want to listen even more in rebellion
Step 4: Soften up with some pop hits i.e. Mockingbird, Love the Way You Lie etc. because white people would eat that shit up
Step 5: universal white people praise

Not saying his music is good or bad (I personally think he has good technical skill but his music is shit) but he just managed to sell himself into the American household and being white was the most important aspect of this

Bit surprised White America wasn't quoted earlier.

Sure, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing because thanks to this sound, his flow and rapping ablity can truly shine, but it's just that there isn't anything particularly noteworthy or attention deserving about his beats.

>Majority of America is white
not for long white boy

not.for.long

Any lyric by a black man is intrinsically more offensive just by his skin color

>eminem not as good as jay-z

Stop right there m8. Honestly you don't know what you're talking about.