How many more years does the NFL have as America's number 1 sport...

How many more years does the NFL have as America's number 1 sport? Statistics show soccer is growing exponentially across America and the NFL is plummeting in viewership from game to game.

Other urls found in this thread:

nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/
census.gov/newsroom/cspan/1940census/CSPAN_1940slides.pdf
time.com/2950943/a-scientific-explanation-for-our-obsession-with-sexy-soccer-players/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

legit question.
why do other countries hate American Football so much?

Not enough semen slurping. But it looks like the NFL is looking to change that

I don't have anything against the sport as such but fuck the way it's packaged in commercials along with constant stopping n starting

Soccer still gets horrendous ratings. I don't know what these stats are you're referencing.

Yeah this is pretty understandable. You can't really argue with the constant momentum of soccer games when you compare it to watching a shit ton of commercials with bits of football sprinkled in.

youth participation (high schools)

football
>1970: 49,593 boys
>2010: 391,839 boys

+690% (without counting the girls: 356,116 in 2010)

handegg
>1970: 853,537 boys
>2010: 1,109,278 boys

+29%

in the meanwhile, increase of USA population
>1970: 203 millions
>2010: 308 millions

+51%

the increase of handegg youth participation isn't even on par with the increase of USA population

we are still a bit far from handegg, but we can honestly say that football is exponentially rising

nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/
census.gov/newsroom/cspan/1940census/CSPAN_1940slides.pdf

A better question is how many years till football overtakes soccer as England's no 1 sport.

Every single NFL game at Wembley is sold out, whereas most England soccer internationals at Wembley are half empty.

Also, NFL ratings are going up on Sky and millions watching on BBC. Whereas EPL ratings on Sky are down 20% this season.

People are realizing what a shit sport divegrass really is.

>People are realizing what a shit sport divegrass really is.

Worst major sport in the world.

You a true Bangladeshi? Or proxy? If so, grats on the test cricket victory. Don't know much about the sport, but it's 1000x better than povertyball.

I wonder why a once a year novelty event that's dirt cheap sells out in a city of 8 million.

There's more border hoppers here now than there were here in 1970. Doesn't mean a whole lot.

How many of those are Mexicans though?
Sports that aren't popular with the majority ethnicity don't really take off...
Australia being a prime example

>soccer growing exponentially
>went from 2 fans to 4 fans
wow

don't feel like looking up stats but how much is the NBA growing worldwide? It seems like basketball is becoming more and more popular. Its cheap to play and has more sex appeal than football or soccer imo

>more sex appeal

its true. basketball players are sexy

I've worked with quite a few guys who played soccer in high school, none of them follow the sport. They just did it for something to do.

Geeze Yurop-kun, stop trying to make us watch soccer.

ITT: Amerifats who are terrified of an endurance skill sport. Meanwhile they spend millions to wear the jersey of an athlete with one foot in a prison cell. Handegg? More like Cuckball.

Thanks! Yeah this is one of the biggest sporting moments in Bangladesh history. The whole country is buzzing!

Only for American males tho

Women worldwide are literally biologically programmed to find football/"soccer" players the most attractive athletes.

time.com/2950943/a-scientific-explanation-for-our-obsession-with-sexy-soccer-players/

I don't think soccer is going to be king, at least not soon. NBA will take over the mantle from NFL it looks like. Even though I'm an NFL fan, I'm 100% ok with that happening.

Can we just start calling them bigoted soccerphobes? It'd be easier.

Soccer is literally a kids game here. No one takes it seriously. It's on par with, but more popular than, kickball.

The only people who watch soccer in America are immigrants and hipsters who were looking for a sport to enjoy ironically and latched on to soccer because it's easy and foreigners like it so they have something to pretend to bond with people over on their trips abroad.

>Statistics show soccer is growing exponentially across America
Where were these stats taken, a Portland Art school?

People have been saying soccer is going to supplant hockey in the big 4 since the 90s, but MLS still gets worse TV ratings than the fucking WNBA.

Elite athletes in America do not play soccer, there are too many sports we care about too much. Soccer players give up scholarships to play in college so they can be kickers and punters in football. Yuropeens don't believe us, but Americans truly view it as a sport for women and children

I literally don't know a SINGLE person who watches soccer (i do however know like 4 people who play it) but pretty much every dude i know watches handegg or college handegg

Well, how many people do you know in total and what's their ethnic and economic background?

Your family members don't count btw

We could win the world cup and 95% of us still wouldn't care

NBA peaked in the 90s. Sure there's a lot of national interest in LeBron and curry, though nowhere near the interest there was in Jordan and other stars back then, bit no one actually cares about the sport itself

>statistics show soccer is growing exponentially
>18 million watched world series
>15 million watched the walking dead
>14 million watched sunday night football
>8 million watched basketball wives LA
>1 million watched MLS

wew lad

I didnt even dig more. Pretty sure spongebob garnered more viewers then my little sawker.

>how many people do you know in total
i have know idea, im just thinking of whoever i am decently acquanited with.
I don't know that many mexicans if thats what you mean. Most of them are middle class, probably all of them actually. The only soccer tha people watch in this region is the soccer their kids play.

>i have know idea
holy shit
*i have NO idea*
my bad

Soccer will never be watched by anyone other than immigrants, and that will be the only way it will rise. So it has a pretty low ceiling. Baseball is ingrained in our nation's history, we invented basketball and it has a nigh monopoly on the urban demographic, hockey is huge in the north and among whites, and even with the NFL going to shit, people STILL give up entire days to watch it, even if they're doing it through pirating, which lowers ratings.

But the biggest thing that football, hockey, and basketball have going for them is that they're actually exciting to watch.

Soccer is not even a blip on the radar. Baseball is still the clear number two, but still far behind football, especially with college thrown in.

Popularity increase isn't endless. You can't project anything from a sharp rise from practically zero There's no sign that soccer will ever even overtake hockey for #4 or basketball for #3.

Plus what everyone is saying about soccer being a kids' game here is not hyperbole. Just about everyone who plays it as a kid grows out of it completely and doesn't follow it professionally in any capacity whatsoever.

Not hating on soccer btw. I watch World Cup and Olympics just like everyone else and don't care about it otherwise. It's an "international event" sport to most Americans, just like Olympic swimming. Again, no joke or exaggeration, that's just how it is.

fact: handegg is already dying
fact: soccer is becoming more and more popular and soon will take over because it's the most played sport in schools

based article. makes sense, basketball players are outliers but also what makes them godly imo

I can't be the only white American non-immigrant male who watches and enjoys divegrass, r-right guys....???

C'mon, just watch one Bundesliga match and tell me it's inferior to commercialegg

>t. fan of NHL and NCAA football as well

>growing exponentially

Hardly. The 2015 MLS final was the most of poorly televised in the past decade.

I'm very open to soccer just through osmosis from this site

I'm a bigger more knowledgeable 'fan' than anyone I know, dead serious..

That being said I'd still say commercial ball is more entertaining. 90 minutes with 15 shots and maybe maybe 3 goals is not riveting

It won't be anytime soon buddy.
Like not for 50+ years

>inb4 muh wetbacks
Even still

Americans are in denial. Soccer support continues to grow, while NFL ratings are in the toilet. Learn to love it, my fellow Americans, because it's here to stay.

MLB NFL Divegrass masterrace

I thoroughly enjoy soccer. But to say it will be #1 in America is just stupid. Im sure more people would watch college handegg bowlgame between Texas Tech and Arkansas, then the MLS Cup final. Another thing, why would i watch mls (inb4 haha doesnt support local team fuckin burgers). The quality of play overseas is so much superior. And it gets more nbc coverage here. I legitametly think i get more epl games then mls games on a weekend.

I agree with your second paragraph, but MLB puts me to sleep and NFL has no appeal to me anymore...still better than apehoop by lightyears though

See
Divegrass enthusiasts keep saying "welp at this rate nfl will die in one year and at this rate soccer will have 800 billion viewers in the us because statistics never alter". Divegrass still competes with full house reruns on nick. Think about that.

>soccer growing
Lol no it's not m8

Where the fuck do you live?
Our junior A hockey team here is 100x more popular

I'll watch it but honestly I feel the first half is meaningless and it really isn't all that riveting to me

NBA is completely reliant on one man at all times.
Jordan, then LeBron.
Only 7 teams actually sell out their arenas.
I know people like to meme on hockey since "your Fox Sports North game between the Islanders and the Hurricanes didn't beat LeBrons team vs the Lakers on TNT" but hockey substantially sells more tickets.
Basketball fans overrate the sports likeability a hell of a lot.

>TIME
Penn Jillette

>le sprinting for 90 minutes lie

Basketball is completely indebted to 3 players, maybe less. LeBron and Steph.
Even greats like Davis aren't enough to warrant 85% attendance
The 'it's big in China' is largely a fabrication

we're too self-centered, we're never going to care much about a sport if we don't have a compelling league of our own
MLS is minor league soccer, the stadiums are minor league stadiums
It's just not up there with the other sports and it has no history here. Youth participation has been high for a while now.
Stop pushing this shit on us.

MLB is the best baseball league in the world.
NFL is the best handegg league in the world.
NBA is the best basketball league in the world.
NHL is the best hockey league in the world.
MLS is the 28th best soccer league in the world.

oghkay, one of these is not like da others oghkay

I'd like to see what's counted as 'youth participation' because no way in hell do high school soccer teams here have more than 1/3 of players as football teams.
And I'm not even in a football hotbed, I live in Minnesota a state which is probably much more apt to embrace soccer for whatever reason.

It's just not the case, I promise you this

sports leagues by total attendance for the 2016 or 2015-2016 season

MLB 73,159,068
NPB (Japanese baseball) 24,981,514
NBA 21,972,129
NHL 21,501,156

NBA Average 17,864
NHL Average 17,481

>but hockey substantially sells more tickets.
>the city of (you)

I'll never get over the hockeyfag obsession with proving how much better or more relevant their sport is than basketball. keep in mind, I enjoy both.

this. why do foreigners want americans to love soccer? how does america loving soccer and eventually getting better at it than you, make it better for you?

I hate this faggot and others like him.

I'm by no means a soccercuck but to parade ignorance about the sport like he does as if it's an insult to it is just embarassing

Wonder how he even got the job.

The fucks for my states radio station, KFAN, do the same shit.

Like I understand the average Tom doesn't want to hear about Liverpool vs Tottenham today, neither do I.
But instead they go on these little sperg moments full of comments like "fuck you!" is always so cringe.
You're a SPORTS FUCKING BROADCASTER. Do not gloat about your ignorance about another sport as if it's some "America! Fuck yeah!" thing. Just leave it out

Foreign teams and media salivate over US dollars, but for foreign fans it's just something to shoot the shit about. My European friends know I'll never get into soccer and I know they'll never give it up in favor of the sports I watch, so we just mess with each other about it.

>37 MILLION seats possibly sold a season for each sport
>"we sold 800,000 more tickets than you total, stay obsessed and irrelevant hockey fag"

If that's all you got from my post it looks like you're the one with the chip on the shoulder

Ayy ki obosta

No one is pushing it on you senpai, it's happening on it's own.

>Easily accessible
>Less equipment needed
>International game
>Americans bored with Concussionegg
>Less chance of destroying your brain and killing yourself when you're 40

All of these are truths...hurts doesn't it to know your meatball posturing is all for nothing

you are pushing it right now...

>Easily accessible
>Less equipment needed
>International game
>Americans bored with Concussionegg
>Less chance of destroying your brain and killing yourself when you're 40

which explains how speedwalking is the sports sensation that's sweeping the nation

Nigga, I said I like both. You claimed that NHL was SUBSTANTIALLY more attended than the NBA and I disproved it. Let's not even get into ratings.

No real reason. It's literally memes
I constantly hear "oh ads" but cricket has just as many ads
It's really just a lack of exposure and timezones

Stating evidence is now "pushing"

Comparing a singular activity to a team oriented competitive sport recognized internationally.

Critical thinking in this nation is a fucking joke isn't it?

They are still so far apart. Outside of wc, soccer gets zero attention in the vast majority of sports media

>Critical thinking in this nation is a fucking joke isn't it?
no

you think americans should switch to soccer. you are using evidence to push your thoughts onto others

You're fucking illiterate aren't you?

> it's happening on it's own.

That is what I said. That's not me saying I think Americans should switch to soccer. It's not me pushing my thoughts. It's me STATING things that are TRUE.

Fucking idiot.

Trips of truth

AMERICAN'TS BTFO

This guy gets it.

The NBA's issue is that it is such a star driven league. It lives and dies by it's top 15 or so players which will probably see an average drop in appeal after LeGod retires

American whites will no longer be the majority by 2030 so I think it's safe to say that soccer will very soon be the number 1 sport, as it is in Central and South America.

I provided hard facts plus trips.

all memes and bantère aside, football is growing in the US. You hate on MLS but remember it started from nothing in 1993. Nothing, no stadiums, no players, no fans, no TV contracts. And look where it is now, I'll adknowledge it's still a minor league, but pretty respectable if you take into account it's barely 20 years old.

FIFA will likely give you the World Cup for 2026, giving another boost of growth for football in the USA.

ITT: USA should stop playing football and play soccer instead

>only giving one side of an argument
>not biased or pushing thoughts

ok guy

US has had World Cup before and it did nothing. Next time will probably give it a small boost but it's not like we don't know what soccer is all about already.

THIS.

Okay so speaking as a white American non-immigrant male for whom soccer is rapidly becoming their #1 sport since the NFL started turning into the No Fun League:

1.) Barring a series of cataclysmic scandals in the current top 3 sports I don't think soccer will ever be #1 in this country. It might be in a position to take the #3 spot from baseball and/or hockey in 20-25 years if things continue the way they are but I'm not sure that they will.

2.) Using attendance numbers from the Wembley NFL games as proof of the NFL's growing popularity in England is completely retarded. By that measuring stick soccer will soon be the #1 sport in the USA because 105,826 people attended the Real Madrid vs Chelsea friendly at Michigan Stadium this summer( or the fact that the 1994 USA World Cup remains the most attended WC in history).

3.) I don't think MLS ratings are the best measuring stick for the sport's popularity in the US, as most serious soccer fans dismiss MLS as a garbage league in both its structure and quality of play and follow teams in the top European leagues instead.(Similar to how the couple of Europeans I know who are into basketball mostly watch the NBA instead of their countries backwater leagues filled with D3 rejects).

Youth participation is a fucking terrible way of measuring sport popularity in America beyond what suburban moms like to have their kids do on weekends.

NBA won't peak it doesn't have enough pull among non-minorities. What will probably happen is that the most popular sport becomes highly regionalized OR it just switches to college football. If it becomes highly regionalized I presume it would be something like:
North: Baseball/Hockey, shifting towards the latter
South: College Football
Mountains: not really sure, if it were a decade ago I'd say Hockey but it would probably be College Football or Soccer
California: Basketball
Pacific Northwest: Soccer

Of course all the sports would have significant amounts of fans in the other regions.

In terms of total money (and leaving out collegiate sports), the US Big 4 is NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL in that order

I'm not him, and he was clearly wrong but that pic shows baseball v hockey (which is completely unrelated and clearly going to be in favor of hockey) and it clearly shows that Hockey is popular in the North but not really in the South or Cali. If you could probably deduce that Hockey is more popular than basketball in the North but Basketball sells slightly more because it appeals to urbanites everywhere rather than just in the most populous region. This is a tall v. wide situation, so they are about even but basketball has a slight edge.

I have no issue with basketball being popular 2bh, I'd rather it and Hockey co-rule rather than fucking soccer. Thank God Hockey and Basketball's fanbase are both younger than Soccer's.

>3.) I don't think MLS ratings are the best measuring stick for the sport's popularity in the US, as most serious soccer fans dismiss MLS as a garbage league in both its structure and quality of play and follow teams in the top European leagues instead

handegg, baseball, basketball, and hockey: none of them became popular here because of overseas leagues
until MLS is not shit it has zero chance of cracking the top 4. literally zero chance. it can't be relevant if there's nothing going on in MLS of interest

>(which is completely unrelated and clearly going to be in favor of hockey)

You're joking right? That's regular season baseball trouncing a playoff hockey game 7 in every market.

>clearly going to be in favor of hockey

"no"

I misspoke, just replace it with baseball in that specific sentence

You're probably kidding. 1994 World Cup kickstarted mlels. TV ratings are not very good in your country, but is that the most important?

>ranked 6th league in the world for attendance
>a mlels franchise now costs 200 millions

Wow, that is an immense growth in active soccer players.

its 8th in the world, which for a country with 320 million is poor and that cost for a franchise is half the price of the cheapest of the other major sports leagues, and yes TV ratings are extremely important as unless you are the MLB where you have 5 billion games to collect revenue from or are the NHL where you have very expensive tickets and a mere 1 billion games you need good TV shit.

Soccer is growing but it will not become more popular than the big 4 any time soon especially since the 2 less popular ones (Basketball and Hockey) are growing fast with young fanbases (younger than soccer)

youth participation means absolutely jack shit, dumbass frog. football has always had a smaller youth participation than baseball and basketball and yes even soccer because kids have been literally dying on the field since the 1800s, something that still happens to this day. parents are scared of signing their kids up for football and they always have been. that's why there are so many different levels of play in college, because the vast majority of high school players have no shot of making it into the NFL.

>american trying to interpret numbers episode 1429
His numbers says exactly the opposite of what you're claiming you fucking idiot.

bizarre that the mods don't seem to bother with incredibly obvious ban-evading proxies anymore

I made up a sport and taught it to 3 friends today. it went from 1 fan (me) to 4 fans in one day. thats 400% growth a day

that means in 16 days, the entire world will be a fan right

>euro trying to interpret american culture episode #174659823817654

football always had the smallest amount of high school players compared to other sports and at summer tryouts it was always the same kids year after year. only a minority of american parents are willing to let their kids take that risk and that is the way it has ALWAYS been. now stop trying to tell me what life is like in my country.

Look at the fucking numbers you quoted. You are simply mistaken.

most male soccer players stop playing by middle school

most football players dont play until high school

we view it as a sport for children and girls. its like saying jumprope or hopscotch is going to be the #1 sport because every kid plays it

mistaken about what, soccer having more players than football? it's irrelevant, football still has a small participation rate compared to baseball and basketball, and lacrosse and track.

but are more american teenagers and boys playing soccer now vs 40 years ago by percentage? they probably are.
it's easy to see why. i'd rather kick a soccer ball around and play through soccer tackles and challenges than repeated get smashed in the head from full contact american football.

>football has always had a smaller youth participation than baseball and basketball and yes even soccer
this is wrong according to what froggie posted
>football always had the smallest amount of high school players compared to other sports
this is also wrong according to what froggie posted

so you're wrong about pretty much about everything you have typed out so far

>Statistics show soccer is growing exponentially across America
Why do flopball cucks keep saying this?

football went from nothing to one third of handegg in youth participation. nearly the same numbers as baseball.

>youth participation means nothing

today's youth are tomorrow adults

you know why football isn't very liked in your country TODAY? because it wasn't played in the 70's. at all. all pundits/commentators are ignorant of football. they don't like it, because they are stranger to football.

in 20 years pundits will be kind to football, because they played it as youth, they'll remember the fun.

mlels, while despised by Sup Forums, is growing. you know what was broken for football in your country? no easy way to professionalism for football players. now mlels franchises are setting up academies and being a pro football player is viable.

when your youth will understand that it's viable and possible to be a pro at football, that will be the real turning point.