/classical/

Practice makes profit edition

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mdbjz#play

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
youtube.com/watch?v=gbUqKvpmPfU
youtube.com/watch?v=-CNrGqHKoa8
vocaroo.com/i/s0wr5Dwp71T7
youtube.com/watch?v=fQdudICa-88&list=PLZj4RadToGJgPak30wUlXO7ESHWRljl7X
youtube.com/watch?v=VWFn6anuqH0&list=PLgk7gcWmgsGcia6ocqexkAy98gvWV9SCu&index=4
vocaroo.com/i/s1rySYowS0en
vocaroo.com/i/s1xMBtFbzoNT
vocaroo.com/i/s1AnPdm40VYw
vocaroo.com/i/s11VBq2dB82l
clyp.it/prcgzbcl
youtube.com/watch?v=uoC21I9YDz8
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3210925
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4452753
youtu.be/ReLJZDF4boI
youtube.com/watch?v=oYdnUHCpomQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ctdRIJTFUZw
youtube.com/watch?v=0DWjI1uLSzw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

What's your go-to rainy day music? Mine's Prokofiev's 2nd piano concerto

The only Christmas song I enjoy is Carol of the Bells.

It's also the only classical song I enjoy.

ECM?

Kashkashian

youtube.com/watch?v=gbUqKvpmPfU

Who has the best Beethoven 7 and why is it Furtwangler?
youtube.com/watch?v=-CNrGqHKoa8

r8 my pseudo-4part harmony that me and my girlfriend wrote, /classical/

vocaroo.com/i/s0wr5Dwp71T7

Now that Youtube has full albums uploaded at Opus 160kb/s, it's super easy to find almost anything.

Here's what I do now:

>Follow a reviewer or seek out reviews on Amazon or somewhere for an album you're interested in

>Search Youtube for the artist, filter by Channel, select the one that says X - Topic

>Click Albums

>Bam, you've got CDs and full fucking boxsets arranged in playlists automatically

I don't even know why people bother with Spotify or radio anymore. It's especially great if you're browsing different performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=fQdudICa-88&list=PLZj4RadToGJgPak30wUlXO7ESHWRljl7X

hey what do u guys Think of Gorecki's 3rd
I know it's a meme and it's really bad but something about those descending melodies at the end are sort of strange to me, has this lulling sense of calm with something horrible present, like a scene from a soap opera where Everything is covered in cobwebs and there's morning dew in the cobwebs and there's this mellow orange light over Everything and it's all gross and strange while still being comforting in some way. I feel like it has the emotional range of a soap opera, and doesn't express actual angst or sorrow like let's say a bartok string Quartet. But i Think there's something enticing in how it's so tame and eventless while still trying to be emotional and sorrowful, creates this gross sticky aura about it. What do yu guys Think

Wagner > Mahler > Shostakovich

this has been established already

Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District > Parsifal

Heifetz

youtube.com/watch?v=VWFn6anuqH0&list=PLgk7gcWmgsGcia6ocqexkAy98gvWV9SCu&index=4

I give it 5 out of 10, try changing the harmonic rhythm; perhaps with some anticipations, suspensions etc. You just dont want it to be clunky and awkward, make the listener want the chords.

Mahleranon are you here?
How is Oskar Fried's Mahler? Especially in comparison to Mahler's other groupies like Walter and Mengelberg?

He's definitely the best in that particular interpretive approach

My only problem with the auto-generated Youtube stuff is that a lot of it is incorrectly tagged/organized. I suppose this is to be expected with auto-generation, but it can still be kind of annoying.

But, yes, there's a surprising amount of stuff on Youtube, even some rarer recordings which I am surprised are on there at all.

He's interesting in the sense that he and the audio engineers of his time managed the feat of a full acoustical recording of Mahler's 2nd, but that's mostly it.

The only Fried I've listened to have been acoustic recordings, so I've always been a bit ambivalent about them, as they're only barely musical. I can tolerate acoustic recordings when it's a solo piano or a violin, but a full orchestra is rarely done justice, and the recording conditions themselves were often poor and very cramped. I remember reading an article regarding Walter's first time recording in the early 1900s, and he said it was one of the most unpleasant experiences he had.

I know there's a few non-acoustic recordings of Fried, but I haven't heard them. iirc Arbiter issued some of his stuff from the late 1930s, right before he died.

Oh, right, I did hear his Beethoven 9th, which was a very early electric recording.

Unfortunately I've only heard it in a pretty bad transfer, and didn't find it particularly remarkable aside from the astonishingly well sung finale.

Kill yourselves.

Score it for organ next time ; it sounds better in MIDI. Also post the score.

:(

vocaroo.com/i/s1rySYowS0en

cool thanks

>not enjoying prokofiev
How does it feel being a pleb

Spread it on two staves desu

Parallel fifth on m.1

Parallel octave between m.1,2 and m.2

Parallel octave on m.2

Parallel octave on m.4

Hidden fifth between m.5,2 and m.6

Hidden fifth on m.6

Parallel fifth between m.6,2 and m.7

Parallel fifth on m.8,1.

Parallel fifth between m.8,2 and m.9

Parallel fifth between m.10,2 and m.11

Parallel fifth on m.11

Parallel octaves on m.13.

Parallel octaves on m.14 and parallel fifth between m.14,2 and m.15

Two (2) parallel fifths between m.15,4 and m.16.

too lazy

Yes i KNOW about the parallel movement....which is why I said "pseudo" 4 part. The problem is its supposed to be the chorus of a metal song I'm working on and the chorus is a 3 chord progression (Em, CM, DM) so I had to fudge things to try and make it fit.

>the chorus of a metal song I'm working on and the chorus is a 3 chord progression (Em, CM, DM)
Kill yourself and never return here again

>me and my girlfriend
*My girlfriend and I

>the chorus of a metal song I'm working on and the chorus is a 3 chord progression (Em, CM, DM)

post the original music you're working on

vocaroo.com/i/s1xMBtFbzoNT

New Complexity piece im working on. Suck my dick faggot

>vocaroo.com/i/s1xMBtFbzoNT

that sounds like shit bruv

Utter garbage.

Lil' minuet in D

vocaroo.com/i/s1AnPdm40VYw

>vocaroo.com/i/s1AnPdm40VYw

that's cute. did you write the midi and then use a website to convert with a soundfont or?

Classical music really brings out the conceited morons doesn't it. The once that think listening to Beethoven makes them an expert on everything else. There's absolutely nothing grammatically wrong with the construction "me and my..."

You just don't get New Complexity.

Damn I bet he had an orgy afterwards

Its gramatically incorrect. You wouldn't say "r8 my pseudo-4part harmony that me wrote, /classical/"

Here's another odd thingy I notated the other day. Roast me, /classical/

vocaroo.com/i/s11VBq2dB82l

This sound like TV Commercial music or gay anime music

It's not really good tbf famalam

>that's cute
thanks

>did you write the midi and then use a website to convert with a soundfont or?
use finale/an alternative

>vocaroo.com/i/s1xMBtFbzoNT
Yo my four year old niece can do that too. If you're going for a shitty interpretation of Ligeti you nailed it. Maybe post something when you learn how to use a fucking tone matrix

Thanks for the (You) lad. I just smashed my piano keys

You should probably sell your piano on ebay and kill yourself while your at it

>getting this upset over a Sup Forums post
nice dubs btw

>ECM
would be a good label if not for all the jazz and world "music" on it

>you
>knowing what a ii - V is

Jass music is the worst meme of 20th century music.
>hurr let's appropriate classical instrumentation and use it make shitty popular music for denegerate urbans
>but i don't know how to play music cuz they keeping me down
>it's okay just bash around like a primate and people will hail it as "art" because it's "improvisational"

Mahler is everything Wagner wishes he could be.

they both suck

>it's ok just bash around lake a primate and people will hail it as "art" because it's improvisational

What man, you don't value your self worth in how many Bird licks you know

ClASSical music is the worst meme of all time
>hurr let's appropriate folk instrumentation and use it to make shitty popular music for degenerate academics
>but i know how to play music cuz i went to university
>it's okay just bash around random keys like a primate and people will hail it as an "artistic fugue" because it's "academic"

>let's appropriate folk instrumentation
2/10 for effort.

>Parallel fifth
yeah let's pretend we're in the 18th century

add more dissonances and you'll sound like Messiaen

If that was so he wouldn't have written only operas

Post a timestamped picture of your musicology degree along with at least ten (10) compositions that you've authored. Otherwise, you do not have the sufficient credentials to discuss erudite music.

Are Takács overrated?

That cover gave me cancer, looks like something out of a cheesy metal band album.

You first

Not them but here's a fugue I'm working on:
clyp.it/prcgzbcl

Doing something a bit different this time : second exposition is an inversion of the first theme. Not sure if I like it or not. Usually I intuitively write the second exposition, as a more organic permutation of the theme.

>musicology
>composing
musicology composers are somewhat rare. Composers tend to study composition, musicologists tend to study musicology. Occasionally you have ethnomusicologist composers like Bartok or Kodaly, or Psathas today, who study folk music and notate it out. The stereotype is that musicologists are very dry and scientific and don't have a creative bone in their body, whereas composers tend to be all creativity and 'just enough science to get by'

No they aren't

What are some good recordings without ridiculous dynamic range? I'm sick of fumbling with my volume knob and getting my ears blown off in the car

how long does it take to learn enough theory to be a composer?

a day
what you really do is learning other composer's pieces, not some abstract theories

Some composers don't know any theory at all. I would say to be recognized as a composer, you need to be able to write scores for classical performers without any help from an orchestrator, and have at least a basic understanding of music theory - chords, keys, instrument limits and capabilities.
You never really stop learning as a composer, there's always something you don't know, or an area you haven't discovered yet. I would say a 3 year music degree at a college or university would give you a good grounding for being a composer. I would only recommend that if you already write a lot of music. You don't really learn to be a composer, you learn to be a better composer. Being a composer is either something you are or aren't.

you're in the wrong genre

try some Phase 4 Decca recordings, i guess. they have very squashed dynamics

kys fucking pleb

Compression has killed music, and you let it.
Take this advice.

Get out of this general

Holy christ you normie fucking faggot
The loudness wars are cancer

I don't want very squashed, just not extreme.

Thanks

Yeah sure

Go back to your brickwalled pop music libcuck

In all seriousness, just put on your local FM radio classical station as there will be some dynamic range compression applied

just listen to baroque music

>Nic Cage spotted at Vienna State Opera's Parsifal
wew

wwwwwsdc

>bloody nose

link music for this predicament

>Hey let me passively-aggressively tell you about my girlfriend!

>was in Lords of War
>goes to anti-war opera
Pottery.

It's just business.

youtube.com/watch?v=uoC21I9YDz8

I'm having a hard time finding a full complete recording of Satie's Vexations to download, can anyone here help me out?

Vexations is a single page work, just because Satie added a comment about playing it hundreds of times, that doesn't mean you should. A few overly literal comedians doesn't make it HIP.

This is a good recording and has a lot of other similar works.
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3210925

Or this one which has an interesting work by Hindemith for the trautonium, an early electronic instrument. rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4452753

autism

I'm completely aware of everything regarding this piece, and I disagree with the purpose not being to play it as instructed.
Either way, I want a full 840 cycle recording.
I already have that Van Veen collection; he actually did a full vexations recording but I cannot find a download link anywhere.

Hah, you do sound ridiculous, good luck beating your head on the wall then I guess.

It's amazing how well French trolling works.

Only truly retarded faggots need 840 repetitions to get the "point". It's the same as mediation, you can either do it, or deck out in scented candles, yoga mats and white noise machines.

Why is this guy so underrated?

Vespro della Beata Vergine > Mass in B minor

classical music for tfw she has a bf

youtu.be/ReLJZDF4boI

The guy practically invented the baroque in music and he's underrated? By who.

La Venexiana's recordings of his madrigals are beautiful.

Monteverdi's 8th book of madrigals 'of war and love'
youtube.com/watch?v=oYdnUHCpomQ

>The guy practically invented the baroque in music and he's underrated? By who.
anyone who thinks Mozart, Bach, Beethoven are better.

>have to skip to a minute in for the music to start
sick of this meme

why such a kitchy recording tho? this one is at least half decent
youtube.com/watch?v=ctdRIJTFUZw

youtube.com/watch?v=0DWjI1uLSzw