Red-pill me on The Disintegration Loops

Red-pill me on The Disintegration Loops.

Is it a masterpiece or a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
bocpages.org/wiki/Geogaddi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

meme

This, I'm afraid. Cool concept, didn't work so well.

neither

There's a former Pitchfork writer dude who tears Basinski a new ass in a vlog

Every point he makes about is correct, you can't just 'appropriate' a national tragedy to make some garbage tape music 'artistic' and poignant

meme

I unironically like it, it's comfy. Not my favorite of Basinski's though, I prefer Cascade or Melancholia

back in my day ppl on mew knew who chris ott was

link?

it's a memesterpiece

youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI

Why do people in current year say appropriate when they mean exploit??

It's a masterpiece.
>Pitchfork
Whether or not you think so, context is important. I wouldn't call it appropriation so much as the music being very fitting for tragedy. It's vague, minimal, and perfect for contemplation. If Basinski happened to be having a listening party on his roof for his new punk album, I doubt he'd tag it with a picture of the towers falling down. It's called TASTE, something that ex pitchfork writer does not understand. There's a reason why Basinski's pieces from this album have been played live in the 9/11 museum. They're inoffensive, melancholic and contemplative drones that soundtrack a tragedy like this one beautifully, and happened to be there.

>muh sjw

yep, its because of sjws

no need for the "muh"

Its really good. The feeling of organic disintegration gives it a really sad vibe, especially in the 2nd one. I think the whole 9/11 thing is a cool backdrop for the music, although people tend to obsess over it a bit too much.

>appropriate
Apparently Basinski took the photos himself DURING the incident, he took some video, and was actually listening to some of the incomplete album with friends on his roof while the WTC collapsed.

He's not some guy in California trying to be deep, he experienced it and saw it. So unless all of that can be completely disproven I don't see it as appropriation.

you right my b

How much p4k Kool-Aid have you drank

Jesus, think for yourself. How come no one talks about how Slayer's "God Hates Us All" was also released on 9/11? Even the band downplayed that. But I'm sure you know little because you were what, 4 years old when 9/11 happened?

this is way out of context but a month ago I tried to an hero, had swallowed 30 zopiclone pills and attempted to slice open my veins while heavily drugged. I don't remember anything, but when I came home from the hospital I saw that the disintegration loops was the album I played while I was laying down to die.

Listening to it for the first time since then just now, no music has ever given me this much goosebumps.

I've never listened to the Disintegration Loops thinking about 9/11 and I always enjoyed them a lot. So, why do you care so much about what you read on the fucking articles and reviews? Just listen to the music, Basinski made some beautiful stuff with those tapes.

if you like it, then that's great, go on with your life and try some of his other underrated stuff

if you don't, then that's fine as well, go on with your life and stop listening to silly tape loop music

I'M drinking the p4k Kool-aid? You literally cited an ex pitchfork writer as a source lol. How did I at all demonstrate that I wasn't thinking for myself?

By the way, maybe nobody talks about that album in regards to that because one of these albums is an artistic achievement, and the other is yet another album from one of the worlds most famous metal bands.

Also, when someone brings up something like age, it means they can't argue for themselves.

yeah, but he experienced and saw all of it after he made the album.

>artistic achievement

Actually "God Hates Us All" IS one of the best records by Slayer

The Basinski thing is trash. If it didn't have the fucking twin towers on fire (containing actual human beings) on the cover and this whole story around it no one would give a damn about it like the rest of his bullshit discography. I'd argue anything Christian Fennesz or Nic Jaar or Tim Hecker has made is infinitely more creative. None of them have had to claim a national tragedy had any influence on their art

This t b h. The concept and the time it was released is far more interesting than the actual work.

"I'm 14 and art is about beauty, just look at these flawed compositions from 600 years ago"

Grow up and learn the art of our time.

What's pretentious?

Is it making a basic loop that slowly degrades over time?

Or is it saying "NO it's not complex enough to be artistic!"

I'd say the latter is whats pretentious.

This is gonna ruin your guys' days.
Geogaddi drew heavy influence from 9/11, considering it came out in early 2002.
bocpages.org/wiki/Geogaddi
"Geogaddi was kind of exorcising demons, and even after we'd set out to do a record like that, smack in the middle of working on it, 9/11 happened. I remember there were a few of us in the studio that day, and we just ended up glued to the TV for the whole day. I think the months after that pushed us into making a darker record, as I'm sure it did with a lot of bands."
-Michael Sandison of BoC

>you can't just 'appropriate' a national tragedy

That's the point of art, stupid.

>some garbage tape music 'artistic' and poignant
Oh, so according to your logic, anything that has no effort whatsoever is atuomatically bad, right? Yeah, cool, because complexity is objectively and automatically GOOD. You're as stupid as the p4k writter.

It's a meme, d|p 3 is pretty dang good though

Its pretty good.

Your only argument is that you don't like the music, friend. The act of attaching this tragedy to this work has time and time again been validated, and has in fact been validated by the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, so don't flash your "containing actual human beings" pathos bait at me. The people there, I, and Basinski knew full well the effect and the weight of the tragedy.

I am sitting in a room.
Different from the one you are in now.

hope youre doing better bud

How about appropriating a national disaster to start two needless wars and precipitating the creation of one of the worst death cults in modern history?

This, /thread

i didn't know shit about his 9/11 experience and how it related to the album before i listened to it and i was presently surprised. it's really nothing ground breaking, but it's pretty nice ambient music.

good post