"B-but baseball is dying"

Reminder that "baseball is dying" is a forced meme, usually perpetuated by low-attention span football or basketball fans (and I like all three sports) to discredit the greatest game on Earth.

>inb4 it's the Indians and Cubs in a World Series

Yeah, but this was a Sunday Night Football game consisting of a GOOD Eagles team AND a good COWBOYS (some would even call them "America's Team") team that went into OT.

>inb4 regular season ratings aren't usually like that

Baseball is decidedly a regional sport. In over 2/3rds of all MLB markets, MLB games are the #1 primetime viewing option.

And while we're on that, fuck Sunday/Monday/Wednesday Night Baseball. Your average baseball fan ain't even watching a good Cubs/Cardinals game if their favorite team is playing at the same time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5qo13fhshiY
wbsc.org/tournaments/2016-u23-baseball-world-cup/schedule-and-results/
youtube.com/watch?v=6d2mZUqTsNg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Eagles
>good

literally nobody watches Sunday/Monday/Wednesday Night Baseball unless your team happens to be playing

baseball has too many hardcore fans that are way into the game and following every day to ever die, something casuals tuning into footbawl for the superficial spectacle will never understand

I can't bring myself to watch random games, unless its the last week of September and pennant race implications. It could be Kershaw v Arrieta Wednesday night baseball. I'd rather watch my teams #5 face Minnesotas #5.

The Eagles are good. Amazing? No. But I'm kinda high on Wentz(and I hate the Eagles) anyway.

dude this is huge that two nfc east teams that are both contenders lost to the world series

goodell cant ignore this shit any longer

If you were in Chicago you would understand how the cubs are throwing off the sports ratings world. It's an anomaly that only the cubs can cause.

I know what you mean, but it's not just Chicago. Cleveland too. Plus every baseball fan on Earth wants at least ONE of these teams to win. This is basically the 2003 Cubs/Red Sox World Series we were denied.

Only time I watch random games is when my team isn't playing. Which usually means day games and West Coast games.

>concussion egg

dropped

Baseball is the greatest sport in the world desu

The world shall see clearly once again

>football will be dead in your lifetime

absolutely based

What the fuck are you even talking about?
If you were Chicago you would understand HURRRRRRRRRRR, make some more fucking sense instead of making an ambiguous random claim.

NFL ratings have been suffering tremendously due to a combination of reasons. Of course against the World Series, the essential championship of Baseball, NFL ratings wouldn't be able to compete. It has nothing to do with the city of Chicago you fucking dumbass. Unless you want to say some stupid shit like
>NAHHH BRUH NAH BRUH YOU HAVE TO *BEEE* IN CHICAGO TO UNDERSTAND
then you're done here.

Personally I only watch Mets games and the occasional Yankee game because other people around me watch the Yankees. Other than that, it's then the World Series regardless of who is playing. I don't dabble much in playoff games otherwise.

>there are """""people""""" in this board that don't think baseball is the superior sport

I'm an NFL fan and I really wouldn't mind the NFL dying. It's become too much of an opulent spectacle. It's time for the decadent NFL Empire to be overrun by the MLB/NBA Mongols.

>it takes an 100+ year long underdog facing World Series elimination for basebore to match the ratings of a regular season football game
>and basebore is actually PROUD of itself

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you can't even fucking make this up holy shit

>I need to make things up to deflect

Also, you WISH the ratings matched lol.

Football's short season makes a regular season game like a last week of September push in baseball. CTE must be dreadful.

Also
>Cards/Rags Game 6+7

Hear, hear. I'm not sure if there is just one Brazilian baseballfag or if the sport is just growing down there.

I used to watch NFL more but I realized it's just become a joke now. After watching games and seeing teams lose huge plays and even TDs because one of the players just can't fucking help himself but to celebrate and chimpout and get a penalty called. I agree that "excessive celebration" is a retarded rule and shouldn't be there, but why would you continue to do it even though you know it's going to get called.

holy fuck this, 2011 game 6 is one of the greatest games of baseball ever played, I get chills just thinking about the extra innings freese dinger

baseball seems to be getting bigger internationally also

youtube.com/watch?v=5qo13fhshiY

pls watch

I like college football significantly more than the NFL nowadays. Not only is Saturday a better day to sit around, get drunk and watch sports, the games are way more exciting. The OT is better. The rivalries are forged in more than just being in the same division. Even mediocre teams can look forward to bowls(a glorious postseason). And the upset factor is real.

>The OT is better

Agree with everything but this desu

Uh, I hope you realize that the NFC championship game, not the Superbowl, but the NFC championship game, will more double Game 5 right?

I just saw a Mexican player CRUSH a 2-run homer deep into the the night 10 seconds after I opened this, I love you user. Will get comfy and watch this

It also won't have to compete with baseball, just midseason hockey and basketball, which are both slow as hell save for quality games.

>but why would you continue to do it even though you know it's going to get called
Because pic related.

I like that they celebrate even when they will get penalized.

It's the over the top advertising, commercialization of every little aspect of the game, logos and ads on every single thing they can slap it on that is killing the sport. The extra long breaks and not speeding up play is killing the sport. It's a drag, and advertisers bombard the viewer every chance they get.

It's a joke. You see one single play and then 10 seconds of some random plug for some drink or tool or whatever.

It's been fun to watch. I was hoping for a Czech upset, but it looks like baseball is still a little behind there. They lost a few 1 run games to Mexico and Nicaragua in the World Baseball Classic qualifier, but the sport is catching on there.

wbsc.org/tournaments/2016-u23-baseball-world-cup/schedule-and-results/

Tomorrow has Korea and Panama matching up and Japan and Australia in Group B. All undefeated. It's HD and for free!

So, it took the cubs, who haven't been in the WS in about 100 years. being near elimination and the Indians, who haven't been in the WS in almost 60 years, to beat the NFL regular season SNF game.

If you view that as a huge accomplishment, than good for you, but I don't think the NFL is shaking in their boots MLB taking over.

But it seems just so unprofessional that it's absurd. And I don't mean the celebrating itself, that's fine, but celebrating when you KNOW there's a good chance your team with lose whatever big play it just made and possibly cost you the game just because you couldn't help but act like a jackass. If a baseball player did something like that which cost his team a game he'd get his shit pushed in by everyone. Meanwhile nobody in football seems to give a shit.

>because pic related

>tfw I know my team is shit and they don't have good attendance but I can't be bothered to buy a $15 ticket for 3 games
Who else /Rays/ here?

This wasn't supposed an "NFL is dying" thread, it was supposed a "Baseball is dying is a forced meme" thread.

The NFL should be a bit concerned about their ratings falling independently of baseball. Worried? No, not right now. If the Thanksgiving games ratings disappoint, THEN they should start looking around for answers.

And honestly, this postseason has been quality. I don't think another matchup would do quite as well, but beat SNF? Completely viable

All them late inning heroics make you forget how awful the defense was in that game.

This

When you're not allowed to honor the dead cops in Dallas , celebrate with the team after a TD or INT then we got a problem

>But it seems just so unprofessional
It's a game made for children playes by adults, don't even get me started.

>If a baseball player did something like that
The only reason baseball is so anal about celebrating or showing off is because of the old farts still watching baseball who have indoctrinated their children with MUHH TRADITION. Yankee fans are the worse because they are simultaneously a rambunctious crowd while criticizing players that celebrate or show emotion.

HURRR MUHH TRADITION ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE THIS IS A GENTLEMANS SPORT

boreball is not a sport

it's a game

I ain't driving across the bridge to watch the rays get two hit by some scrub in the most unappealing stadium in sports

wow really made me think

>tfw baseball season and hockey season perfectly complement each other

>comparing an NFL playoff game to a fucking regular season baseball game
>calling hockey and basketball "slow as hell"

Baseball literally has three entire months of their season, the entire summer, when they are the only sport being played in America, basically completely worthless because of how many games they play

I've re-watched that game like 3 times and it's a complete shitshow. But in the best way. Also, Ron Washington let a pitcher bat with the bases loaded(or at least RISP) and I'm pretty sure he lost the game there

I never made that comparison

I agree with you the "view value" of midseason baseball is relatively low unless you're an actual fan but this is also the time of the year when most people have nothing stopping them from watching and going to games. And they do. Viewership doesn't really fall off at any time of the season.

>The only reason baseball is so anal about celebrating or showing off

Like I said, it's not the celebrating itself that there's a problem with, that's fine and I think players should be able to celebrate. What I'm talking about is doing something unnecessary that costs your team. Maybe similar to a baseball player sitting there watching a ball when he should be running hard.

I'm sorry I was not more clear to you.

There is no bigger bandwagon city in the country than Chicago. People who could give two shits about the cubs 5 years ago are suddenly the biggest fans ever. They falsely bloat the ratings that a game would normally have if the cubs weren't successful.

Let's take the blackhawks as an example. Their cup runs have produced the biggest hockey ratings ever. In 2007 they had the worst ratings in the league.

So yes. You need to understand Chicago to understand that the world series ratings compared to MNF are an anomaly.

I always hated baseball irrationally but I actually watched a lot of games this year and been following the playoffs and it's actually pretty good.

The mid season can is boring sometimes but the playoffs have been awesome, best moment was the blue jays walk off in the bottom of the 11th vs the orioles in the wild card game

It's not just Chicago folks though

There are people all over the country and world tuned in because the Cubs winning the World Series would be the biggest non-World Cup(can anyone even remember a final a year after it happens?) thing in sports since the BoSox won in 2004

youtube.com/watch?v=6d2mZUqTsNg
SHOULD Muslims root for Chicago Cubs???

I know many people that legitimately like baseball but are casual fans and thus are intimidated by watching 162 games or anywhere remotely close to that

Soon as the last week of September comes around they don't wanna miss a game

I don't blame them, most people don't have time to watch 162 games

That's me

If 2 rich kids' high school baseball loadout wasn't more expensive than the GDP of Sierra Leone baseball would be the #1 sport worldwide

Oh sure there is a surge in viewership nationwide. You just can't short change the Chicago bandwagon. The people here are fucking obnoxious. It's embarrassing desu

I would love it if Baseball overtook Football for the #1 spot, and I'm a soccer fan.

Baseball is a patrician sport and would signal a reversion back to our country begin based and intellectual and enjoyable. American Football is objectively a pleb sport.

I imagine there are a lot of fairweather White Sox-leaning folks acting like tortured souls aligning themselves with the Cubs right now.

>American Football is objectively a pleb sport.

Baseball is the biggest sport in the Dominican Republic by a large margin though. Money isn't that big of an issue

Meant for

Those kids also play with cut up milk jugs for gloves and large sticks for bats

Actually wait you have a point

We just need more of this

Baseball is shit

>itt: insecure boreball fans defending their dying meme "sport"

fuckin pathetic

>this flag
>this opinion

Only when the Gays aren't playing huh

>baseball trending upwards
>football trending downwards
>"b-but baseball's dying!!"

pretty pathetic desu

the irony here is grand

>baseball trending upwards

thanks for proving americans actually are retarded

The irony being that basketball has trended downwards since the 90s

Friend, half of America not only wants Donald Trump to win, but thinks he can still win given all that he's said and all that comes up about him. This country is fucking retarded.

Speaking of trending, does anyone remember the 90s when "hockey is up next"? Oh, if only...

there's nothing sadder than a boreball fan that cant accept reality

Baseball is American traditional sports

Literally not an argument

>America's game taking over Nigger Felon League

I'm okay with this.

1998: Jordan
2008: The Fucking RAYS
2010: LeBron
Won't do 2011 since that's virtually the same
2012: Big 3

What did we learn today, class? That people really enjoy stars, and people don't wanna watch a fucking Phillies/Rays World Series.

>basebore

wew lads didn't expect so many triggered autists mad at the most patrician sport

>people don't wanna watch a fucking Phillies/Rays World Series.

people dont want to watch boreball.. just accept it and move on.

Now go ahead and post attendance and regional TV ratings to be full-circle, leaf

>1990
How the fuck did so many people willingly watched the Resd sweep the As?

And yet they do now more than ever

I switched between both games because I like football and baseball

I'm telling you, Cubs and Rangers are the only two teams left MLB has to play with in terms of people tuning in to see a team overcome history.

The Cubs CANNOT win this year.

Literally the best case scenario for MLB would be for the Cubs to Buffalo Bills it up. Just lose a bunch of World Series and dominate the Cardinals in the NLCS and they will print money. And if the White Sox get good again and beat them in the WS...whew

Meanwhile the NBA playoff games got obliterated by the NFL draft

Most attendance in sports here also 3 of those WS is from SF which no one likes not because they're good or bad but because they're the most boring baseball team ever that lucks out until recently every post season

The Bash Bros, McGwire and Canseco

a white sox cubs world series will never ever happen

Except 2011 was the big 3 first year though.

Mavs vs Heat and Rangers vs Cardinals. Both were pretty great.

but it has happened already

>Two teams in the same market playing each other
>Good for ratings

Retarded.

SF Giants are ratings cancer. This isn't a surprise.

You kinda have a point there. Normally with baseball, people don't give a shit past their team. And if its not their team in the WS it's usually 2 teams they literally have give 0 shits about, and won't watch even a second of it. With the Cusb and >cleveland, there's a very good chance that other teams fans hate either the fanbase or the city so much to watch the games to see them lose

I read the comments of a Yahoo News article on the Bautista batflip or something. It was all MUH NO ROOM FOR HOT DOGS. It was painfully obvious that all of the irrelevant fossil baby boomers were using MUH HOTDOGS as code for "ban all black and latino players... and maybe Bryce Harper"

Out of touch boomers really think a batflip or a few second pause after a homerun is killing baseball, in reality they just can't stand seeing a young person with confidence, which they automatically construe as cockiness. Especially if they're colored.

feels bad that none of the baseball countries have a presence on Sup Forums. top shitposting potential with the japs, gooks, chinks, and commie spics

It's the World Series you fucking cuck. Any other baseball game has the viewership of 2 and a half people.

Oh totally. It's the whole "thugs" thing all over again, basically old people finding new ways to be racist indirectly. The only thing boomers hate more than minorities, are young people. They loathe young people because they are old and always one day closer to being older. They hate the idea of being irrelevant even though they already are. They want everything to stay the same way it was when they were kids for the sake of "tradition". That's why you see old ass white people, especially in the South, do those "classic" baseball games where they dress up old timey.