/prod/ - Music Production General

let's try and save this general.
good ol' fashion /prod/ edition

****New Rules:*****
1. /prod/ IS NOT YOUR SELF-ESTEEM SAFE SPACE. DO NOT COME HERE EXPLICITLY FOR "FEEDBACK" UNLESS IT DIRECTLY RELATES TO OR INTENDS TO BEGIN SPECIFIC /prod/ DIALOGUE.
Example of what not to do:
>new track I just finished, I'd love to hear some feedback on it
>how do I into git gud?
Instead:
>I can't figure out why my bass won't cut through the mix in this section (from 0:15-0:21) could someone please lend me some advice?
>My Korg keeps giving me these weird resonant peaks upon capture, here's a sample, and I attached a pic of the machine and wiring... any ideas?
Try to be more specific. This will keep the threads alive, and will help ween out the influx of new users who use this as a place to either self-promote or boost self-esteem.

2. If you do feel the need or are asked to post a sample of some work, please use clyp.it or some type of anonymous uploader. Please no soundcloud, bandcamp etc. nobody needs you to clutter the thread with self-advertisement. There are already threads for that, just use the catalog.

3. Ignore unrelated tangents, spammers, and tripcodes, unless under the exception that it is in some way helping the community as a whole.

These should be common sense if you frequent this general, but it's become apparent that these need to be stated more clearly.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/sr0icsr5
youtu.be/ZlRGt1K69Sg
clyp.it/agbajgbv
clyp.it/oghxq4np
clyp.it/e2eg0ylu
vocaroo.com/i/s03PU8v3L2iy
vocaroo.com/i/s0wQQ7NRrHdX
youtube.com/watch?v=j5oaCPCqN3Y
clyp.it/52dvoszk
m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=emspMLLP5qM
soundcloud.com/lux_45/wish-a-mf-would-1
clyp.it/ul4av42i
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5295621
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dont see whats wrong with getting general feedback for tracks. a lot of the time ill post a track and people will point out something they think could be improved or added upon that i hadnt even thought of doing, which is great for getting new ideas.

Does this

clyp.it/sr0icsr5

groove, flow and sound like this

youtu.be/ZlRGt1K69Sg

How to make it sound closer and better

good headphones for mixing under 200 bucks?

sony mdr-7506

akg k414p these are mine
tho wish i had spent a little more and bought sony korta pro

That's great, I still think that type of exchange has a place here, it's just with the state of how the threads have degraded, I think it will help keep things on track (not to mention keep the threads alive) if we try and keep things more specific. The more broad your post is, the more it gets ignored, clutters things up, and looks like a cry for attention.

anything closed-ear by beyerdynamic if you can. Go 250 Ohm or under.

yeah, a lot of the time i post tracks without anything in mind really just to get another set of ears on it. and i do give feedback on those types of posts too. i dunno. it is true that its better to have a specific question, but i dont think theres anything wrong with just dropping a track to get that other take on it, even if its not likely to get many replies

>let's try and save this general.
>****New Rules:*****
u sound like feg

i havent really got any advice to give cause its so different from what I make but thats a pretty great track. i really like percussion.

>threads turn to shit
>several people voice their dissatisfaction
>nothing happens
>I spend 5 minutes scratching up some etiquette that any weathered user already abides by in hopes that the kiddies, spammers, and reddit either fit in or gtfo
>yet I'm the feg
go refresh your soundcloud friend, I think some more bots just hit up your new trap instrumental

from my view theres nothing wrong with people posting their shitty trap, as long as they actually want to improve their production skills and want advice from it. everyone has to start somewhere.

right. That sounds nice... in theory

I respect this opinion and will try to keep with the spirit of OP
Here's my track: clyp.it/agbajgbv
I'm happy with it overall but I really want to bring out the main synth. I know it's dominating overall, but it's dominating too much, I compensated with overall volume instead of SMRT audio design because i don't know how, and I want to learn. How do I make the most out of the main synth here?

Half the links in the pastebin are dead.

I'm pretty much new to mixing and mastering. any advice on it for this track? i gave it a shot and i dont think i did a good job but im not sure what to do to make it better.
clyp.it/oghxq4np
would love feedback on other aspects of it too.

Anyone have experience with ribbon mics? Just bought a Shure 330 off ebay, waiting for it to arrive.

Current WIP - wondering if the Oohs are too high in the mix. Is there maybe too much going on now?
clyp.it/e2eg0ylu

Interesting concept. There are a few spots that are exceedingly loud compared to the rest of it. What did you do to master the track so far?

so far all ive done is put a limiter on it to stop clipping.

I started using FL Studio two days ago and I've made several tracks so far. These are the ones that kinda stick out.
vocaroo.com/i/s03PU8v3L2iy
vocaroo.com/i/s0wQQ7NRrHdX

I know I need to work on the percussion. Other than that, I'd love tips on how to make them sound less amateurish. They give off this vibe that they could've been recorded with a cellphone app.
They're not supposed to be instrumental btw, I just can't sing for shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=j5oaCPCqN3Y

how do I make my drums this good?

practice

Try running your mix through a multiband compressor before you apply the limiter.

>Is there maybe too much going on now?
I don't know what you're going for but it doesn't sound overdone at all. It's pleasant to listen.

thanks, ill give that a shot

>go refresh your soundcloud friend, I think some more bots just hit up your new trap instrumental
is the joke that your making fun of my perceived unoriginality with the hackiest jokes you can think of?

D Y N A M I C S

Is it just me or is the production on this just .. meh?

It just was really lackluster, really generic trap 808 percussion, no interesting soundscapes, basslines, hooks. HUMBLE is just corny when you realise kendricks flow is the same flow a 75 year old priest uses when they rap in one of those vids where they try to be hip with the kids, the cheap piano and synth doesnt help much either.

yeh of course it's shit. Were you really expecting another TPAB? That was his peak. (imo his only good album actually)

clyp.it/52dvoszk

opinions?

That's just DNA. I though the production on tracks like XXX and FEAR were pretty good. Especially the drums.

where you drunk when you recorded this?

You can barely keep a tone and when you slip, you slip semitones at the time.

Compositional wise, it isnt something to write home about. Your guitar playing is middle school music class tier, production is bare mininum with the exception of a odd reversed guitar with reverb on it and the choir sounds like you try to emulate thom yorke.

So what is this?

shhhhh don't be such a negative nancy user don't you know people are sensitive? You're supposed to tell him his voice sounds beautiful. Can't you see that's what he's here for? He has a tripcode after all.

serious phase issues. majorly around 1:52. Songwriting isn't bad, for corny bullshit.

okay, I was a bit harsh

11/10, so heartbreaking, AOTY, better than ITAOTS

I wasn't drunk but I WAS pretty tired so I guess that's how it goes.

I'll take the rest as a compliment. Thank you.

thank you! I'll read into the phase issues, see how i can fix them

boring as fuck, not a lot to mention production wise since jack shit is happening in this 'song'. could be worse i guess.

tons of layering/samples/good programming/live playing.

what would you suggest to make it more interesting?

>what would you suggest to make it more interesting?
Learn to sing, learn to play the guitar, learn to compose.

forget about mastering, in fact, if you can, leave it for someone else to do that. you should focus on your recording and mixing skills.

unless it was intentional, some shit is too loud and others too quiet. there's a lack of stereo image as well, but sometimes it sounds fine. overall it does sound like you're clipping too much. your levels in your DAW while you're mixing should not be clipping at all, that's like mixing 101. you can do 'lite' mastering by using a limiter/compressor in your final stereo mix to bring up the overall amplitude but don't do anything more than that.

i meant the arrangement/production, dumbass. I like the song itself. this is a production thread, not an 'i don't like your music, make different music' thread

i wouldn't know what to tell you since I don't listen to that kind of music. try doing something similar but with a full band instead.

okay, I respect that. I am likely adding more instrumental elements. thank you.

Okay, be my guest.

Just know I thought you were trolling when you posted it.

That's not a good sign right there.

Maybe not. thanks for your critique, anyway

>I don't know what you're going for
DESU I'm just laying stuff down and seeing what sticks.

Okay, that's a filter I was not aware of.

to be real here, you are far from having the skills needed to perform such a song as of right now. I get the lofi indifolk schtick, but these are decent musicans who play that way, they know the line from where it goes from charming to bad and to not cross it, you dont seem to at the moment.
Nothing wrong with recording yourself and fiddling around with the production to get better at it, but you dont have the skills needed to make a song like that work right now.
I dont know how long you have been playing the guitar, but judging from the track you posted, I would guess not much more than a year or two, the singing sounds like you just picked up and you're not a natural talent.

So do yourself a favor and save yourself some ridicule, get better at what you do before you attempt publizising a song again. Practice alot, you dont become a good artist over night just by lucking out on talent, not even Mozart was that lucky.

We have all bad music stored away on our hardrives that will never see the day, but we try to and get better at what we are doing. And get some self awarness about your music, how do you expect to get better if you cant even identify the problems?

Well, the fact is, you're the only person that I've seen claiming that these problems even exist, so I'm hesitant to take your word for it. I have not received any ridicule and I have publicised several songs.

Maybe it's not to your taste, but it's not objective.

>you're the only person that I've seen claiming that these problems even exist
i give up

you go out of tune heaps, the harmony is dissonant too. idk what you were thinking.

Just face it, you'll never be famous.

You aren't special, no matter what your mommy tells you when you finish showing her your shitty track and she has to lie to stop you from killing yourself.

You will never be a rockstar, you will never pioneer into new genres, you will never get the cars, the money, the women, or the attention.

You will never have young girls getting wet when they are in your mere presence.

But it's not like you had a chance to begin with? Martin Garrix went to an elite school of musicianship and has been producing for over 20 years, and he's only 20. At 18 he was touring the world, fucking bitches and getting money for producing child's play, whilst you fail to produce a musically coherent 4 bar loop.

There are 1000's of producers like this, child prodigies just itching for a chance to show off their amazing work, and you honestly think you stood a chance? No, you don't even have the intellect required to be a producer, so even if you "grind"(cringe) you will get no where and will never finish anything.

By all means, keep feeding money to Native instruments and Cymatics, but keep in mind your going to have to work 9-5 for the rest of your life, and probably put in a few extra hours a week to pay back your debts.

>inb4 Martin Garrix is bad. No, as he gets more pussy than you and i'd prefer to listen to his shit over anything you have the courage to upload and call "music")

>inb4 "I just do it 4 fun xD" You don't, stop lying to yourself. You secretly want to prove everyone wrong, but think people can't see through your facade.

stale pasta

holy shit, he wrote a whole paragraph giving you accurate feedback. Everyone else in this thread is giving you feedback saying that they don't like your song. He literally sugarcoated his feedback as much as possible, yet you still berate him.

Your "song" is shit. wake up to yourself.

Shut the fuck up you whiny little cunt and be humble. Damn.

you were warned. Do not reply to or acknowledge the presence of a namefag. He is here only to whore.

how's sufjan's dick taste?

He still gets more replies than everyone else ITT combined. It's almost like this board is stupid.

I don't know, I think it's groupthink. I actually kinda like the song.

Overall using better samples would be a great one. the kick is really dry. Try searching for some sample packs and just scroll through them. Using other peoples sounds really is the way to go right now.

What's his endgame?

Hanging from a noose.

Does anyone here have tips for buying a 4 or 8 track for tape loops? Tascam Portastudio 424 seems to be one a lot of people use, but it's hard to come by

Your vocal intonation needs work. You keep drifting out of tune & sliding into / past notes - and not in a charming way.

I made a remix of a song some days ago, are the frequency levels balanced or is there too much bass, is it oversaturated, muddy, etc? Also, do the vocals have the right amplitude or are they too loud? I got into mixing recently

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=emspMLLP5qM
Autism

Feel like my mixdown/overall mastering is pretty trash in this but get really see the major flaws, any key errors you guys can pickup that could be improved on? thanks

soundcloud.com/lux_45/wish-a-mf-would-1

did you get lost on the way to somewhere edgier?

In my opinion it sounds great, the melodies and stuff are very simple and few though... the drums are cool, I like those chromatic snare rolls. Good job!

got probIems with my portastudio.

>recorded some drony/tribaI stuff onto tape
>sounds great pIaying back on the deck via headphones output
>record it into abIeton/audacity on through my interface, routing from the tape deck's master out
>ends up sounding Iike compIete shit, the whoIe recording has a Ioud buzz/hum which is way Iouder than anything eIse
clyp.it/ul4av42i

is my tape deck just fucked? read some forum posts saying it couId be the power suppIy, however im using the one that came with it. someone eIse toId me it's got something to do with stereo phasing. any ideas?

using this deck

i know its pasta but i personaIIy know at Ieast 4 guys that used to post here who aII have reIeases now, some on weII renowned IabeIs. they aren't "famous" per se, but they kept at it and are being rewarded for it now

>50hz hum

Are you in the UK? If so that does sound like a ground / power supply problem.

Anyone know any good torrents of ableton at all? My antivirus is picking up most of the top ones on piratebay

why are internet music forums so retarded? i should pretty much kill 90% of the people here with an AK to get actual, smart threads

how about you start with killing yourself

give me your home address and ill fuck your wife every day while you´re producing cuck, then im gonna hold a gun to your face and stick those shitty radiohead vinyls so far up your ass you´re gonna remember what your childhood was like when daddy was still fisting you every night

I have a fancy PC, and run u-he Diva on reaper. when using my MIDI controller, the lagging sounds pretty significant sometimes under high quality mode. I checked the performance of CPU, it is about 3%.

What should I do?

what's your buffer size?

are you ok m808

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5295621

Are you using ASIO

>while you´re producing cuck
how do you produce cuck?

no,I was using that directsound stuff, latency is bad for playback, idk about recording.

Should I use ASIO instead of directsound?

yes

you should use a proper audio interface with asio drivers if you want low buffer sizes therefore low latency

thanks, man. I am using a focusrite 2i4. I guess if I use direct sound the computer will process audio with internal audio card? Will latency really be a problem for recording if I do not use VST? Latency does not sound bad on other VST but it just sounds bad on DIVA.

Use ASIO

>process audio with internal audio card
no, but it wraps the audio through the windows audio api/mixer and all that stuff, which increases latency by a lot
while asio is direct
you should always use asio if you have the option to

guys does anyone lave the link to the hundred of books, and different materials related to prod?
It included various jazz books and other stuff

I think you mean the link on the discord

what discord?

anyway it was on the wiki at the bottom

wish i didnt ever post rutracker on here and you guys could go back to not understanding how to use the stock plugs instead

>thinking you discovered rutracker
climb down out of your own ass

tfw only use stock plugins

tfw you introduce a community to a whole world of progress but they make terrible content with it

and i was the one who introduced rutracker to prod. i was told not to share and i wish i had just kept my mouth closed.

>using a daw that comes with plugins
talk about bloatware

>he uses reaper or some bullshit

lots of people on Sup Forums know about rutracker. and how do you know who's using things you posted? fuck outta here with your self importance

>community
>>>reddit

what the fuck daw doesnt have stock plugins?

audionews has literally everything I don't know why anyone would fuck around deciphering russian runes

i dont even know how to respond to this

yeah and prod knows it from me, i assure you it was not in any way posted about here until i decided to try and help

you dont think this is a community? sad.

>i assure you it was not in any way posted about here until i decided to try and help
lol sure, rutracker is your secret torrent clubhouse that nobody else knows about and you posting it here significantly altered the course of /prod/