Does Sup Forums really hates this album and her in general or its just a meme?

does Sup Forums really hates this album and her in general or its just a meme?

judging by the way her music sounds and how acclaimed she's got, it's weird how much negative reaction she gets on this board

Other urls found in this thread:

stellamccartney.com/experience/us/grimes-for-pop-by-stella-mccartney/
ew.com/article/2015/08/26/grimes-new-album/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Angels#Critical_reception
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We are some of her biggest fans and longtime fans as well.

Her music is one of those cases when I know it's shit without even listening to it.

so it's a meme
I saw the same posts before

>so it's a meme
Unironically yes.

Never listened to it but i hate
Grimes and Grimesposters

Grimesposting is the only reason I come here

Its because it's just shitty fucking pop music, like after the really interesting art pop stuff she was doing on Visions and Halifaxa (also Geidi Primes), working with ambient sounds and atmosphere, I was just really disappointed to hear her do something so fucking bland. There was just so much that she did on her previous albums that I loved and that could have been evolved and matured into something great, but she just did a 180. Now that's just my opinion, and I get that others like it.

Yeah... I'd think this too, if it weren't for the fact that I've now actively listened to Art Angels dozens (if not hundreds) of times. It isn't at all (sonically) what you seem to think it is. Grimes makes music in the vein of a master builder: the building materials/sounds themselves might vary widely from project to project, but the ways in which they are constructed into a functioning whole are always consistent with each other.

Hmm, the way you describe makes me want to listen to it again.

I am MOST DEFINITELY not a fan of contemporary pop music, and I unabashedly love Art Angels - and that is why. In a way, it is almost better than her previous works because there are so many more layers of sonic complexity going on.

It takes a great deal of skill to make something that is complex appear (or in this case sound) simple, and with Art Angels that is absolutely what is going on. Tbh if I had heard Art Angels before any of her other albums, I probably would've hated it. Luckily I started out with her stuff pretty much chronologically. So by the time I'd gotten to AA I was already well-versed in recognizing the patterns of construction underlying her music (aka the actual thing that makes it so great.) And so I was successfully able to overlook my usual negative gut reaction against music built from such sounds in favor of just enjoying the sheer brilliance of its construction.

Enjoying Grimes' art always necessitates leaving your own preconceived biases/misconceptions at the door, which is a very hard thing to do most of the time. Some people simply can't do it at all desu. Ergo haters.

This guy is right. Listen to the album. It's full of subtle moments that make you smile.

More specifically, listen to Pin. Pay attention to the details in the drum programming and the pre-chorus and you'll see what I mean.

Art Angels is more interesting than any of her previous work. And I'm saying this having been a fan since 2011

surely this is bait?
i for one fucking love grimes

I really liked visions, but Art Angel just falls short. Also the cover art looks like a shitty N64 game

Okokokok, I will check it out. Will pay more attention. It's odd that I didn't like it the first time because I'm definitely a poptimist (really like mainstream pop in general)

Sup Forums is shit.
Grimes is not.
I love Art Angels.

i hope our grimey is sleeping well

>I know it's shit without even listening to it.
This should tell you.

i hope "i hope our grimey is sleeping well" is sleeping well

I hate people who hate Grimes

i love claire

She legit looks like an orc.

hey give her nose back

>not talking about music on /mu

Memes aside:
Halfaxa > Geldi Primes > Visions > Art Angels

so she is loved. good, i'm glad

Yeah, sure she does.

Goddess take on many forms. Some of them may resemble orcs to the uninitiated. But we do not scorn the unenlightened for their folly. No, we pity them, for they lack the eyes to see the world as it is.

i wonder what she smells like

Any hires Grimes armpit pics?

Nice shoop

Not nice shoop

This board is full of plebs that feel threatened by the fact a woman could make such good music and have so much acclaim. They're also underage nitwits that hate the artist because (rightfully) they were btfo by her fanbase.

Most Sup Forums = misogyny, envy and stupidity.

>being this idiot, unironically

>so fucking bland
What is bland about AA? Do you imply that pop music can't be exciting? It's still synthpop, like her older albums, just a different kind.

this

This album will (probably) grow on you with each listen.

this is what your average male grimes fan looks like

how did you forget racism

Visions and AA are better than her early albums

i'm way hotter than that guy

I felt that Halfaxa was the most creative and experimental one, Geldi Primes was too, just more polished
Visions was plain boring, had some good songs but overall meh, Art Angels is the same, i only ever listen to it because of how talented Grimes is, everything she makes is already pretty good by default, but if she were to go the pop route she should've done something more like the Phone Sex single, AA is just too poppy

Visions is not
AA is just as good

Racism, too. Sup Forums is like a mirror of the real world. Real world sucks most of the time.

Gotta agree with Melon on this one: everything before Kill V. Maim is trash, everything after is pretty good. I personally really like Artangels and Butterfly but just can't listen through the album's begging.

they're still great given the context of how they were made, Art Angels is inherently flawed for being more of a leisure album

I think you just don't really like pop music, but obfuscated songs. What is wrong with some well crafted catchy songs? What is the point of listening to music if not to enjoy what you hear?

Oh don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with well crafted catchy songs, and AA is very well crafted in my opinion, but it's just that, it's well crafted and catchy, but it's not something special, interesting, like Halfaxa is.

>Art Angels is inherently flawed for being more of a leisure album
It's pretty densely layered and it requires more attention from the listener than e.g. Halfaxa, which could be played in the background.

>but it's not something special, interesting, like Halfaxa is.
It depends on the listener. For me, it's something special and interesting. Guess what? Nobody else did an album like Visions or AA. If you know similar albums, I'd like to hear them.

For me every pop album ever is quite simillar to either Visions or AA, while no thing even close to what Halfaxa is ever came to my attention.
But to each their own i guess.

>For me every pop album ever is quite simillar to either Visions or AA
As you implied, that's subjective. I've heard tons of pop albums and not a single one came close to Visions and AA. There are some familiar snippets here and there but overall nothing else is similar to them.

Why?
stellamccartney.com/experience/us/grimes-for-pop-by-stella-mccartney/

>>Do you care about hype or people’s expectations about the album?
>I’m concerned with delivering. If I’m going to ask people to pay for something, it has to be really good. I feel like if I’m going to ask people to buy something it has to be good. But I’m not concerned whether or not it’s this or that. When I put out Visions, everyone got really mad and told me I sold out, so I’ve already been there. Whenever I put out music there’s op-eds and outrage.
>>When did you realize that was going to happen?
>When I put out “Vanessa” in Montreal, I remember someone wrote an op-ed in the Montreal Gazette called, “Grimes makes car commercial music.” It’s always happened. I think I’m stuck between an experimental scene and a pop scene. Everyone is always mad when I give lip service to one or the other. If I make stuff that’s too weird, people complain. Then if I make stuff that’s too pop, other people complain. This album is two halves. It’s very structured like that. IF YOU'RE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT ONE-HALF, THEN YOU HAVE THE OTHER HALF.
ew.com/article/2015/08/26/grimes-new-album/

Fwiw I'm one of the people who proudly enjoys the whole thing.

>Art Angels is inherently flawed for being more of a leisure album
user, Halfaxa is my favorite album of hers (compositionally speaking) and it works WONDERFULLY as background music. Not so Art Angels (which is my favorite in terms of production.) That album is about as non-leisurely sounding as you can get.

wowee

could you ever be convinced that maybe people just dont like her C- music or do your delusions of persecution and victims complex really run that deep

>That album is about as non-leisurely sounding as you can get.
Yes. It's kinda confrontational, like a punk album or something. It's def. not background music.

>maybe people just dont like her C- music
But that's just it - she doesn't have any C- music. If she actually did, people like you would have a point.

>maybe people just dont like her C- music
Get the hell out of here with this bullshit. If they dislike her music, that's not a reason enough to whine so much. People dislike Nickelback too and you can barely see threads with people whining that "WAHH WAHHH WAAAAAAAAAH Nickelback sucks". Listen to something else, ffs.

This! Also his subjective taste =/= absolute truth. And as a matter of fact most critics love her music. I'm not saying that her music is objectively great but the fact that her music was received favourably by lots of people (the consensus is positive).

you numb nuts have completely misinterpreted what i meant when i said "leisure album" whatever, im over it

people still like to have big opinions about grimes, how contrarian

is this a picture of you, or is it your picture? it's probably both though

It's a punk pop (as opposed to a pop-punk) album. As in, it's an album of "pop" music made by a punk musician, versus an album of "punk" music made by pop musician.

Then what did you actually mean? I suspected that might be the case, but wasn't sure.

you sound like you lack confidence man

it's a flawed concept, it's is more like something unnecessary or private. a harsh noise record is more like a leisure album.

Its a solid 8 m8
If SCREAM was deleted the album would be a 9 or 10

>I know it's shit without even listening to it
this board

maybe because people don't shill nickelback here every day all day? get real faggot. your music sucks.

he doesn't listen to shit music

>don't shill
Discussing established artists (both Grimes and Nickelback are well known artists) it's not shilling. Get fucked, fuckwit.

>Also his subjective taste =/= absolute truth
AND YET

HERE YOU FUCKING ARE

CLAIMING THAT JUST BECAUSE FART ANGELS GOT A FEW 8/10 REVIEWS FROM IRRELEVANT PUBLICATIONS

THAT ITS LITERALLY OBJECTIVLEY GOOD

BECAUSE CRITICS OPINIONS ARE RIGHT

WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW ITS ALMOST LIKE YOU'RE A COMPLETE HYPOCRITICAL MOUTH BREATHING RETARD WHO HAS NEVER TRIED TO THINK ABOUT MUSIC ON A LEVEL THAT ISNT COMPLETELY FUCKING SUPERFICIAL EVER

WOOOOWWWWWWW

>THAT ITS LITERALLY OBJECTIVLEY GOOD
I didn't say that, you stupid idiot. Read it again:
>I'm not saying that her music is objectively great but the fact that her music was received favourably by lots of people (the consensus is positive).
Consensus, motherfucker. Fuck off retard.

>im not saying its objectivley good but its actually objectivley good
thank god you qualified that statement!!

>IRRELEVANT PUBLICATIONS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Angels#Critical_reception

Explain to me how P4K, AllMusic, Stereogum, Rolling Stone, The Guardian, NME, Spin, The A.V. Club, Consequence of Sound, Fact, Stant Magazine, Paste Magazine, The New York Times and others (the cream of music reviewing) are irrelevant, retard.

>im not saying its objectivley good but its actually objectivley good
You're too dumb if that's what you really understood.

doesn't shill mean self-promotion?

HALT
somebody recommended me music like this I'm dying

>Explain to me how P4K, AllMusic, Stereogum, Rolling Stone, The Guardian, NME, Spin, The A.V. Club, Consequence of Sound, Fact, Stant Magazine, Paste Magazine, The New York Times and others (the cream of music reviewing) are irrelevant, retard.
LOL

that boy aint right

>self-promotion
>he believes that

>LOL
Not an argument. If you're not going to post one I will assume you're just shitposting.

grimes hate is a meme

So I am checking it out again, and sure enough, there is more there than I remember, thanks for re-recommending it guys.

he needs to imply that anyone who opposes him is an SJW through the implication of his reaction image I'd say he does

Her singing voice is gross

Did Grimes take the bog pill at one point in time?

>what did he mean by this

>being this gross pleb

What's the bog pill about
I know the two people but what's the meme

Why are you shouting like a petulant child ITT?

>thank god you qualified
user, objective statements can't be qualified - only subjective ones can. Therefore you clearly know that user's original statement was subjective, and you're just being retarded desu.

Cool. Yavw.

I wouldn't call it large sounding at all desu.

>large sounding
????