Why didn't Scaruffi give Laughing Stock an 8 too? It's literally a more refined version of Spirit

Why didn't Scaruffi give Laughing Stock an 8 too? It's literally a more refined version of Spirit

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20020220153202/http://www.scaruffi.com:80/vol4/talktalk.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that's exactly why. he rates albums based on innovation. if something is just a better version of an older album, then it's worse, according to scaruffi.

Come to think of it, at least one of those albums deserved a 9/10 by Scaruffi a standards

Spirit of Eden is a 10 and Laughing Stock is a 9.5. Prove me wrong.

But Laughing Stock would've been much more innovative, sometimes I don't understand him, fair play giving at least one album an 8 but c'mon, we're talking about a 50 piece ensemble of musicians playing improv arranged into scarce and flowing landscapes, he literally didn't even compare it to anything, just said it was a masterpiece

You're a more based version of ol' scaruffles himself.

Maybe you should become a reviewer and base all your reviews off how good Spirit is

other way round. LS 10, SOE 9.5

I prefer Spirit of Eden,

Same, but I'd say that's a 9 by scaruffis standards, even 9.5

either***************
u fucking lliterate

are you fucking dreaming, little cunt, get your ass up your head
a 7/10, 7.5/10 is pretty much a 10/10 to pitchfolk, allmusic, music press (beatles, radiohead, bjork)
holy shit how i hate newfigs being exposed to his site for the first time

Scaruffi is rarely right.

only somewhat related, what exactly are the historical inaccuracies people mention in his Beatles essay?

7 is a good score.

To be a 9 in a Scaruffi ranking the album has to pretty much start its own style of music. SoE and Laughing Stock are both very classifiable albums even at the time of their release.

>posts correct opinion
>disses critic

honestly if anything he overrates slowdive

a lot of (((historians))) say the beatles used innovative melodies & chord arrangements in their earlier work, which scaruffi doesn't mention and essentially denies. also he says contemporaries of the beatles never cited or spoke highly of them, which is dead wrong.

he's not wrong to say the beatles are overrated, but a lot of contemporary musicians who were much better than the beatles - including bob dylan and beach boys - wouldn't have sounded the same if not for the beatles. he's also not wrong to say they're famous almost entirely because of capitol's marketing pounds sterling, and that other groups from the mid- to late-60's deserve more notoriety but never had the financial support the beatles did

pic unrelated

Just For A Day is not their best album

Scaruffi has said before that people make too much of ratings and he doesn't consider them that important (the website the interview was on is down now, but trust me that's what he said).

you think is souvlaki cuckino?

Pygmalion you pleb

Try Hector G on RYM.

>It's literally a more refined version of Spirit

That's a pretty wrong notion to have, to say the least

it had an 8/10 some years ago
go look it up srsly

web.archive.org/web/20020220153202/http://www.scaruffi.com:80/vol4/talktalk.html

This man used to post lists on the Radiohead forum. Absolute madman

literally the other way around, holy shit

> Spirit of eden 8/10
> Laughing Stock 7/10

Lmfao what a fucking cunt

> Spirit of eden 9/10
> Laughing Stock 10/10

fixed my dude

he'll do that

It used to be an 8, I think.

it can't possibly be a 10/10 as long as ascension day ends the way it does

>going to music reviewers who look for different things in music to you and complaining about them scoring your music badly

Post some Scaruffi-core bands

How can any of you call Laughing Stock anything less than a perfect 10?

Why do you care?

I prefer Spirit of Eden, but we really need to stop the SoE vs. LS tiffs around here, they're both great albums and neither is the wrong choice. Mark Hollis is better than Colour of Spring though.

because it's an injustice to art

I really want to know what he thinks of Honeymoon desu

I just listened to Laughing Stock for the first time. Now, I've listened to Spirit of Eden maybe 6 times. And I never saw the appeal. I am loving Laughing Stock though. You're right OP. I will never understand old fart scaruffi

underrated scaruffi-core

(the other albums are side projects and stuff which don't count and are rated less

Why did you read Scaruffi

scaruffi likes the noise rock

scaruffi likes the momcore music