/tropgen/ - Tropical Music General

Brand spanking new edition. Hopefully this thread survives long enough to start another one.

If the title wasn't obvious enough, this is a general for all things tropical music. A couple of anons and I felt as though the board could do with a bit of content diversification, and as a result created this space specifically for the discussion and dissemination of music from the tropics. If I have more time later I'll help to compile an essentials list.

All tunes from Latin America, Africa, the East and West Indies, and all of Earth's other tropical regions are welcome here.

Now let's just pray we make it past 50 replies.

This edition's questions:
>What tropical genres do you like?
>Do you think Sup Forums needs more tropical music?
>Why isn't this music more mainstream/accessible where I live?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FzRNPrsfuDY&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=yKs0olc9MqY
youtube.com/watch?v=VfwtVWFJ-QY
youtu.be/6ftNTk2S-PI
youtu.be/mB9T7eQXAdI
youtu.be/5eaLYkOtqko
youtube.com/watch?v=XGtXPaZ1OJs
youtu.be/HBDhHZRmMW4
mediafire.com/file/7rre670671s6vkb
youtu.be/9b7F-kGLEFY
youtube.com/watch?v=3yWCKZxAvhY
mediafire.com/file/ty99dxo6nyr9473
youtu.be/OVmHEKh3jss
mediafire.com/file/boutx28wabo1hl2
youtube.com/watch?v=luQCq-iBU7g
youtu.be/heAlMfqe0NA
mediafire.com/file/1qvn8oceqiicss2
youtu.be/F2hOP-v3TaM
youtu.be/xabeR2dXneI
youtu.be/dycc-db6oEE
mediafire.com/file/6mznsp9ouohg47m
youtube.com/watch?v=usiaMhUkOkg
mediafire.com/file/rvacbsxov5q44z1
youtube.com/watch?v=1YhnIA8sN-0
mediafire.com/file/6jyulh160b66kvv
youtube.com/watch?v=n4yu_oUM9TU
youtu.be/n5kvtPrikg4
youtu.be/hqzHbp_ZfUk
youtu.be/15gXlORbThM
youtu.be/tdeXIAnuTjE
youtu.be/UQzcK1KrIo0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Flashstrap stuff or what

OP here. Starting this thread off with my favorite album of all time (and one commonly lauded as the greatest reggae/roots work in existence):

youtube.com/watch?v=FzRNPrsfuDY&t=1s

Favorite song on this one is "Sodom and Gomorrow"; it's just so hauntingly beautiful.

>IN THE KING'S PALACE
>HE SMOKES HIS CHALICE

"Open Up The Gate", "Ark Of The Covenant", and "Nicodemus" get special mention for their power, though. Otherwise, pretty much every song on the album is amazing to me. Hopefully you'll like them too.

Flashstrap works. "The Hands I Love" is a pretty good piece. The rule is, that as long as it originates tropically, it goes. I'm more of a reggae user myself, and I can contribute a lot in that regard.

But anything you have and want to share in that vein to please your fellow Sup Forumstants (including Flashstrap) is fine by me.

Flashstrap is a great resource for tropical & exotica recordings.

Another I've found to be quite good is Tam Tam & Mélodie. It's in French, but easy to figure out.

I recently copped Puerto Rican artist Ray Barretto's 1968 album 'Acid' on vinyl, and the title track is an especially great Latin jazz piece. Would definitely recommend.

youtube.com/watch?v=yKs0olc9MqY

youtube.com/watch?v=VfwtVWFJ-QY

Is there an essential tropical / Exotica list?

I listened to Haruomi Hosono discography, but I can't find much like it

This is good
Were you that user that shared it in the share thread? It's good

Here's some OG Latin ska youtu.be/6ftNTk2S-PI

We should try to make an essentials chart and list of genres

I don't believe there is. Maybe we could get some anons together to compile one.

youtu.be/mB9T7eQXAdI
Kind of sounding similar in some parts

Yes, that was me! I remember you from yesterday. I kept good on my word to make this thread. Glad to see you here. Dunno if I should tripfag so my work as a tropical user can be made clear.

Also checked. Once I'm a little less busy I'll listen to everything posted.

I was trying to find it earlier but just checked to see if it was up

youtu.be/5eaLYkOtqko
Reggae from Chile
The album is actually really good
I'll see what I can pull up from my collection

While I'm here I might as well share this. The title track is legendary. Great album all around.

youtube.com/watch?v=XGtXPaZ1OJs

This one goes out to the argentina fags
youtu.be/HBDhHZRmMW4

Z

Z?

Here's one fresh off my TT:
The Real Thing Camboulays Steel Band - Live at the New Clay Inn Bermuda
mediafire.com/file/7rre670671s6vkb

Checked
I'll download this thanks

Here's a dub/downtempo one of a kind youtu.be/9b7F-kGLEFY

>Sponsored By The Bottlers Of Coca Cola

well I'll be

Dreadfully underrated Max Romeo track. I never hear anyone talking about it. I only know that it exists from a promotional DJ reggae sampler vinyl.

youtube.com/watch?v=3yWCKZxAvhY

Hilo Hawaiians - Honeymoon In Hawaii
mediafire.com/file/ty99dxo6nyr9473

Gorgeous vocals on this one.

There's a bunch of stuff you can only find on compilations and singles
youtu.be/OVmHEKh3jss
I found this on a torrent compilation

Hawaiian Islanders - 30 Hawaiian Favorites
mediafire.com/file/boutx28wabo1hl2

Cheesy as all hell, but makes for good listening lounging around the back porch on an evening.

Obligatory Jackie Mittoo

youtube.com/watch?v=luQCq-iBU7g

Mambo
youtu.be/heAlMfqe0NA

This finally gives me a reason to upload all these Hawaiian / Exotica albums I've been transcribing.

The Island Serenaders - Hawaiian Romance
mediafire.com/file/1qvn8oceqiicss2

Good, basic Hawaiian guitar band.

>tfw my thread has purpose

Noice. Maybe the next edition can be entirely Hawaiian or exotica.

Incredible sounding stuff here. I'm really fond of it. It has kind of a nostalgic, almost proto-vaporwave 80s aesthetic to it, like the Pilotwings soundtrack. Wonderful contribution.

I recognize the first song from the Ink Spots' version. The version enclosed here is also nice.

I'm downloading these now
I've always liked tropical stuff

Here's some psychedelic cumbia / chi cha
youtu.be/F2hOP-v3TaM

I greatly appreciate your contributions, Horchata. I didn't think this general would get off the ground so well, but your participation has proven me wrong. The cumbia is especially nice.

I guess my years of collecting music and being able to recall sound have finally paid off
I'll leave some newish stuff
youtu.be/xabeR2dXneI

If you're not really big on the theremin or those psychedelic sounds don't listen to this youtu.be/dycc-db6oEE
I remember I was trying to find more raggamuffin and I stumbled across this . Also so cumbia from Argentina and sargento Garcia

Stan Seymour - Our Man In Bermuda
mediafire.com/file/6mznsp9ouohg47m

Classic island songs.

OP here, great work team. I'll leave a gem before I depart shortly to take a shower. In honor of International Peter Tosh Day tomorrow, I'll relay one of my favorites from him.

youtube.com/watch?v=usiaMhUkOkg

Kind of need to call this general something else , there's Caribbean music and then there's tropical music
Also Polynesian stuff is has it's own style

The Mauna Loa Islanders - Music of the Islands (Mono LP)
mediafire.com/file/rvacbsxov5q44z1

In glorious Hi-Fi

What's some good music to play in a seafood restaurant?

That would depend heavily on the atmosphere/decor.

I have been all over this track lately. Makes me want to buy a pedal-steel just so I can learn to play that main riff.

youtube.com/watch?v=1YhnIA8sN-0

In case anyone is still hanging around, I'll leave with some music for a Plastic Paradise:

South Sea Serenaders - Tradewinds Romance from Hawaii to Tahiti.
mediafire.com/file/6jyulh160b66kvv

As Tam Tam says in their description, Incroyablement Exotica. A little bit of everything; jungle noises, Hawaiian jazz, wordless vocals. This is top 10, easily.

OP here. Thanks for contributing, and I'll be sure to use the advice from this thread to reissue a better subsequent general.

idk if this is even tropical music but it gives me a really summer beachy vibe, i want to dance to this at a beach party in hawaii or smt

youtube.com/watch?v=n4yu_oUM9TU

Comfy thread tbqh

Appreciate it. I thought Sup Forums could use it, and I hope to post more such threads with varying editions after this one.

Yeah go for it. Sup Forums needs more variety, badly.

My current favorite artist at the moment. All of his works are very tropical

Really enjoyed this

A super throwback
youtu.be/n5kvtPrikg4
People hate him and praise him for what he set in motion

Well, consider it done then. My birthday is tomorrow, so tomorrow's /tropgen/ will be an edition primarily focusing on rocksteady, my favorite genre. I'm pretty excited about it desu.

His name is Sun Araw by the way. Thought it was in the file name. sorry.

I'm glad you did. Which tracks were your favorite? What did you like about it?

SUN IS SHINING
THE WEATHER IS SWEET

Proto reggaeton / dancehall
youtu.be/hqzHbp_ZfUk

MAKE YOU WANNA MOVE
YOUR DANCING FEET

I've heard this song since I was very young. The melodica (or similar-sounding instrument) always sounded very interesting to me, that way it's played in the song.

This is great, especially the female chorus. Her cadence and tone are very appealing to me.

now this is sweet

Well happy birthday for tomorrow user, I'll be checking the catalog.

I don't know track names because I just listened to the embedded video in the thread in one sitting. But I particularly liked the harmonising backing vocals throughout and the kinda washy production. Just generally relaxing af

His best song alongside Stir It Up (that fucking bassline, muh dick)

Thanks for the kind wishes, mate. And yes, Heart of the Congos does have some incredible vocals and production. Look for the name Tropicanon, that's what I'll be going by. Thanks for stopping by. I've got to hit the sack now. The general should be up around same time tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Peace out, and thanks for all the tunes guys. There'll certainly be plenty more tomorrow. Goodnight.

youtu.be/15gXlORbThM
Some Colombian salsa

kek, true

Are you guys familiar with Soca music?
I'm from Trinidad and its a thing here
(Machel montano, bunji garlin)

Night lad, see ya tomorrow.

Not really I sort of know what it sounds like

General salsa youtu.be/tdeXIAnuTjE
Pretty well known
Especially the intro

SHAKIRA SHAKIRA