I can't find shit for discussion on the internet about 151 vs 80 proof liquor, specifically rum...

I can't find shit for discussion on the internet about 151 vs 80 proof liquor, specifically rum. I mean obviously the main difference is alcohol content.

Does it really make any difference other than the ratio of flavors to alcohol content? Any reason to get it other than to save space or to have more alcohol for the same amount of flavor?

Some of the 151 rums here are slightly cheaper per alcohol volume than 80s.

151 is much harsher on the tongue and throat, as is most alcoholic when you get into the higher content levels. That's all you need to know.

It fucks you up. Got tricked at a university camp. Burns like fire. Fuck that shit.

So if you want to get blasted and don't give a fuck about the burn, 151?

the higher the content the less you need o drink to get drunk duh OP

Anyone have any comment on gold/dark vs spiced? My only experience thus far is spiced. I like it. Not afraid to admit I like smooth, kinda sweet flavors. Not bitter or sour or cardboard-y.

you'll give a fuck about the burn
that said, go with God, have fun

Depends on the type of drinker you are. If you throw up, or your friends who you may share this liquor with tend to throw up from alcohol, don't bring this out. High proof stuff like this will tend to trigger peoples gag reflexes if their prone to it. If youre trying to save money and the 151s are somewhat cheaper, use em for mix drinks and remind yourself when youre pouring that 2 shots of that = 3 or 4 shots of normal liquor

I like Wild Turkey 151 myself. I generally prefer just buying a normal 80 proof liquor though cuz I can enjoy the taste.

If the 151 is cheaper, go for it.

You got it mate but for the love of god don't throw up

Its all taste preference. I enjoy the kraken spiced rum. Has a nice cinnamon and brown sugar after taste. Ive been mixing some of the 151's with flavored seltzer. Lemon seltzer really cuts the burn and adds a nice after flavor on the back if the tongue. Very savory.

I like fireball rum

Fireball is whisky.

Not sure if bait or 16 years old

if you don't give a fuck get everclear.

probably 16

I give a fuck. Tbh with rum I occasionally just inhale a few mouthfuls to get my drunk on faster, but 90% of the time I make rum & coke.

I just wouldn't care if it burned more, I don't think.

So far plain capt morgan spiced at 70 or 75 proof or wahtever it is is my favorite, but never found a liquor I despise yet.

All rum are produced at high alc %, then watered down for taste and smootheness.
In bartending, 151 is mainly used as a "topper" - a splash dropped onto a cocktail to add that extra 'kick' - it can be consumed alone, but beware, it will melt a styrofoam cup lol

Personally a big fan of Sailor Jerry's spiced rum. It's like 92 proof and much smoother than Kraken, imo. Tastes like vanilla Coke

That's what Captain Morgan is like for me. Just nice and smooth with some simple yet good flavor.

Bacardi's spiced is good also.

I guess I might be an anomaly but when I drink 151s I get the most Insufferable hangovers the next day no matter how drunk I get. I believe it is like one of those giant dump buckets at a water park and the people standing under it are your liver. It gets hit so hard it's pants fall down and can't react quick enough. Compare that to a nice gentle rum which is like turning the shower head on for the liver. It get a nice smooth flow and ultimately gets the same amount of wet but it isn't so much of a shock. (None of this is based off real science im not a biologist, none of you fucking "bioengineering majors" better question me)