Discuss?

Discuss?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iKiq5EwkzDg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unchanged?

The water level remains the same when the ice cube melts. A floating object displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes, one ounce of frozen water has a larger volume than one ounce of liquid water.
Maybe retake year 10 science

Depends on how dense the ice is.

Sea levels are rising as the poles melt so...

Depends if the ice cube is over the water level

The rising of the sea levels has a lot of factor, extra amount of water is merely one of them..

ding ding ding, winrar

Sorry for wrong grammar.

ice is less dense than water, the level will drop if its completely submerged during melting, however I don't know what will happen if it's floating normally.

Sea levels rise because polar ice is stacked on land.
If it was ALL floating, Would be correct.

It will raise by 1/3 of cube's volume.
2/3 of an iceberg/ ice cube is submersed,
Therefore, once it melts, the additional 1/3 will be added to the overall volume.

Displacement is by density

Oops! But thanks for playing. Read

Year 10, I learned this when I was about 5 or 6 years old thanks to Mr, Wizard

youtube.com/watch?v=iKiq5EwkzDg

yeah, but no

Sorry I didn't realize the retarded title of the vidya.. but my point stands. The title is however false as the ice that is over land mass will cause the sea levels to rise.

Well, really there are only 2 factors to consider here:
Firstly due to ice forming crystals, its density is lower than water so by that logic the water level should go down as the ice becomes water.
However secondly: Because the ice is less dense it will not be completely convered by water but instead will be floating.

It's quite likely that these effects cancels each other out as the factor by which ice is lighter obviously directly influences how tall the cube will be out of the water.
I looked it up and water has a density of 1g/cm³ and ice has a density of 0.9167 g/cm³. That means 1g of ice takes up about 9% more space than the same amount of water. That means in order for these effects to cancel each other out, these additional 9% of the ice cube's volume would pave to be above the surface. (Keep in mind as these are additional 9% were not talking about 9 parts out of a hundred but 9 parts out of a 100 + 9 so therefore 9/109=8.25%).

So next time you have a drink look really closely: If less than the said 8.25% peak out from the water, that means the water level will fall and vice versa.

Oops! your ass. Try again, brain dead retard

This whole thread is arguing about the wrong theme, clearly OP has used the meme wrong. Why are you all not arguing over this?

what this user said

water level falls because the earth (being flat) pulls it to the center. dumb bunch of bitches.

>year 10 science
naw, most 6 year olds are aware of this fact.

yes

You forgot to factor trapped air bubbles...
I'll just leave this here