ITT: Post talentless hacks and explain why you hate them

SY is boring, masturbatory and musically dry rock music that appeals to pseudo-elitist teens and easily impressed newfags.
It's the only band that makes me internally rage whenever someone mentions them as an example of innovation.

He should get a refill on that drink, he looks like he's Thurston for Moore

It looks like he's Lee for Ranaldo

/thread

Sorry OP, you're just a plebeian.

I like some of their stuff and never could stand Kim's singing.

The Ex are a better version of Sonic Youth.

Wrong
Kim's voice is the best thing about sy, that Body/Head album is as good as any sy album

washing machine>daydream nation

>Kim's voice is the best thing about sy
lol no

Lee > Thurston > Kim

Also no

SY > your favourite band OP

Necessarily true unless OP's favourite band is Can :^)

fpbp

OP here.
My favorite band is Wipers.

Embarrassing.

>yet liking SY isn't embarrasing
explain yourself faggot

how can you like SY but not Wipers

nice

Having a forgettable three-chord punk band as your favourite band vs liking one of the greatest bands of all-time who reinvented the use of the electric guitar and made complex art rock incorporating elements of Krautrock, modal jazz and post-minimalism.
It's not too complicated.

SY is actually good.

SY are punk tho

>thinks Youth of America is forgettable three-chord punk
lmaoing at your shit taste

They're post-punk, if anything.

Maybe three chords is a bit too generous.
I don't really mean to offend Wipers fans, they aren't that bad but if you deride Sonic Youth while loving Wipers you're basically a pleb.

have a (you) you underage pleblord

i like both Sonic Youth and Wipers
you have shit taste

Congrats you proved me wrong.

What do you like about Wipers?

if you honestly think that a corporate image based band like SY is better than Wipers there's very little i can do to change your shit taste.
You trying to argue about "complexity" being the sole reason you perceive Wipers as inferior is already a red flag regarding your perception of what constitutes quality in music.

the real talentless hacks itt

>You trying to argue about "complexity" being the sole reason you perceive Wipers as inferior
Nice strawman.
>your perception of what constitutes quality in music.
Definitely not whether they're "corporate image based" or not, retard.

in what ways does SY incorprate krautrock or modal jazz into their sound?

>Nice strawman
nice strawman
>Definitely not whether they're "corporate image based" or not, retard
because blantantly copying your sound from previous innovators and make bucks solely by selling an image of cool rebels, all while your actual music sucks is not a sign of a corporate puppets?
I guess nothing is an argument to you, so keep calling me a retard and maybe then you won't be so upset about your shit taste.

>krautrock
DDN's recording process involved lengthy jams in the studio that were later edited down to workable song lengths à la Holger Czukay. Beyond that there's the general minimalist improvisatory vibe of many of the songs on the album. "The Sprawl" in particular reminds me heavily of "Spray" from Future Days.
>modal jazz
A lot of their songs are based around modal changes rather than chord progressions. Also, characteristics of modal jazz according to Wikipedia:
>slow-moving harmonic rhythm, where single chords may last four to sixteen or more measures
>pedal points[4] and drones
>absent or suppressed standard functional chord progressions
>quartal harmonies or melodies
>polytonality
Daydream Nation uses at least 3/5 of these to varying extents in certain places on the album.

Daydream Nation is the best example right now because I've listened to it the most and therefore studied it more closely but I'm sure these influences surface in their other work.

>nice strawman
Not a strawman.

>blantantly copying your sound from previous innovators
Such as?
>actual music sucks
[citation needed]

SY is anything but masturbatory

I don't think SY can ever really be called "innovative," you can always cite bands from just a few years before any of their releases who were doing that particular thing to its logical conclusion.

Some people like the particular synthesis that SY brings to those things I guess? I never really liked them. Sonic Youth seems like a band people would like if they wanted music to be like sports.

Is the colour of that drink a Simpsons reference? Wouldn't put it past the old hipster.